Why would anyone buy a chrome os laptop over a tablet or a windows laptop...

Why would anyone buy a chrome os laptop over a tablet or a windows laptop? I really don't understand how these are even still a thing, they don't seem to fill a single niche. They are barely less expensive than a comparable Windows laptop yet have 20% of the functionality. And if all somebody wanted was an internet browsing machine that they occasionally need to type on they could get a tablet and keyboard. Who is buying these?

Attached: ChromeBook_026_Front_SilverTA.jpg (2400x1801, 333K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Acer-Celeron-Storage-Windows-A114-31-C5GM/dp/B0752PW6LG/
amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-CB3-131-C3SZ-11-6-Inch-Refurbished/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Maybe some people don't need that much functionality that other OS's provide. Combined with the cheaper price can make them desirable over other offers. Also AFAIK it is not hard to install other OS's

You have no idea. These things are manufactured first and foremost to be Google's private botnet. Trying to uninstall ChromeOS is hellish and there is no guarantee it won't come back down the line to haunt you later.

Norm fags who don't do anything productive and think google is the good guy and unironcally think MS is invading their privacy and are too poor to buy a macbook air.

Snappy OS and super long battery life. Most chromebooks are unironically better than shit-tier W10 laptops in this regard.

Would be a whole lot better than windows for personal use if the OS wasn't such a terrible walled garden. It sucks, and treats you like a fucking idiot even more than windows or mac os does. For schools however, it's the perfect system. Super cheap, easy to deploy and manage, and pretty much no way for shitkids to fuck it all up. The computers themselves are usually pretty durable as well.

There are many people out there whose sole use case for a personal computer is to access web services via Chrome. Yes, they only have 20% of the functionality of a comparable Windows laptop, but these people don't give a shit about the 80% other stuff that Windows can do. And the stuff Chromebooks do do, they do really well. Safe, secure, fast and reliable web access with no viruses, updates, dodgy .exe files to worry about.

This. If you don't need one, don't buy one. They are not for your use case.

I got one for free (as in stolen) at work.
Can't use this thing without internet and good luck if you ever need a VPN on it

9 Hours on my $150 Windows Acer. Can't use power than what the processor can suck up.

Chrome runs better on Windows than it does on Chrome OS with the same specs because quality Google programming.

>chrome runs better on windows

Why do you just spew absolute bullshit lies on here?

Hi google pajeet. Also good luck finding a Chromebook under $200 that doesn't have a shitty dual core celeron, which you can easily obtain on a Windows machine.

I can't believe people on Jow Forums would actually recommend a device that has less functionality. It's also a lot easier to install Linux on a Windows machine, while you have to use shitty botnet OS with Chrouton.

The only notable Chromebook was that old Acer 11 inch.

Which Acer is this?

Shitty public school systems in the us eat these pieces of shit up to shut the students up so they don't chip out. Happened at my school year after I left.

>under 200

Yeah good luck finding a windows PC under that too you dumb fuck nigger.

>acting superior using winshit currynigger garbage

amazon.com/Acer-Celeron-Storage-Windows-A114-31-C5GM/dp/B0752PW6LG/

Everything works out of box in Xubuntu, 1080p display, quad core shiteron, 4GB RAM. Windows is crap on it though due to >32GB eMMC

>shit screen
>shit reviews
>shit celeron
>32 fucking GB storage

Kill yourself retarded fucking shill

Find me a Chromebook anywhere near that good for that price, you're not beating that price/performance anywhere.

Also pretty ironic coming from a Chromebook peddler

I don't give a fuck if its a Chromebook or windows, your original post was stupid in regards to chrome. Which you shouldn't use on windows anyway.

If you buy something that shit you're a fucking idiot. Anything would be better. Even an older refurb or used laptop.

Oh so you're just one of those ebay resellers that shills cumstained scratched laptops, nice.
Scared that brand new laptops are actually offering more value for money?

Also don't bother continuing to argue, you're fighting a losing battle, I will crush your shitty arguments every single time.

Because I want 3:2 aspect ratio and 2400 x 1600 bright screen with active digitizer laptop that runs cool as fuck with no fans, and can run Linux and programs in a wrapper without dualbooting.

>Chrome runs better on WIndows than on Gentoo

Nope. How about spending a little more to get something that's not a piece of shit? You're sitting here defending your shitty horrible piece of crap laptop. Its fucking junk, just look at the reviews.

>p-p-please stop

I bought this thing brand new when it first released and its a perfect mom or grandma tier computer. But the display is washed out as fuck, barely any storage, stutters on 1080p video, etc.

>Why would anyone buy a chrome os laptop over a tablet or a windows laptop?

I don't think many people buy them 'over' something else, it's a tertiary system. Something cheap and rugged the kids can use, or something you can not worry about someone stealing because it was only 2-300 bucks. In any case, you're not really losing any functionality because of the OS, you lose the functionality because the processor sucks, which is the same problem in the Windows laptop.

Tablets have shittier keyboards, even worse specs, aren't ruggedized so you can't let the kids use it and will end up adding up to around the same price anyway.

What CB are you using, user?

Because normies are dumb and easily seduced by propaganda.

>I really don't understand how these are even still a thing, they don't seem to fill a single niche.

They're for people who want to sit on social media all day and don't like using tablet keyboards.

Oh look, it's a Microsoft shill thread.

No one cates about your botnet either, Microsoft.

Sounds like a Samsung Chromebook pro.

Getting a Acer r11 tomorrow how fucked am I?

>Trying to uninstall ChromeOS is hellish
Really? I didn't have a single problem doing it on an Asus C202sa.
Sounds like your experience may have been different, though. Which model did you attempt it on?

>no one can not like my hardware, everyone who doesn't like it is a shill

Jow Forumstard logic

It's for normies, students and google enthusiasts.

Give one to your mom and you'll stop hearing about virus problems. What do these normies do? Browse youtube, go on amazon, banking, etc. You can do all of these things in a browser and chromeOS is secure (except from google botnet) don't have to worry about an update bricking the system, it just installs quietly in the background.

The model you pictured can run linux apps through a virtual container in crostini.

chromeOS has a big future once crostini gets out of dev mode.

Attached: download (1).jpg (275x183, 6K)

amazon.com/Acer-Chromebook-CB3-131-C3SZ-11-6-Inch-Refurbished/

highest reviewed sub 200 laptop on amazon (that probably paid shill bucks to amazon to appear on the front page but still)

Because I find it hilarious and subversive to take a literally purpose-built botnet device and flash FOSS firmware so I can install Linux on it.
My chromebook is the most libre laptop I currently own after doing this.

Pretty fucked if you want to do anything more than consume media.

If that's all you do with it you will fucking love it.

Older Android games work pretty good, nothing too intensive, I stream sporting events from mine to my TV via HDMI. After 3 hours of streaming I still have 75% battery. Then I swap over to Linux to SSH tunnel in to my desktop and remotely access my desktop when I'm out and about.

It's been much more useful than I thought it would be. I actually want to upgrade to an AMD APU chromebook.

For some people, any laptop is a tertiary system. I don't know why I would use a laptop for any significant length of time when I have a great desktop with ergonomics set just the way I like and better performance than ANY laptop.

>Please don't buy Google botnet, buy Microsoft surface go for your cheap slate botnet needs!

I bought a Toshiba Chromebook 2 (2015 model). It was $260 new with great specs. Battery life is like 12 hours on a single charge although If I'm being honest, after all the updates it's a bit slow to boot compared to before.

I don't think I have ever turned mine off if I'm being honest.

Wait what? I tried 4K Youtube on mine and it works fine, it has hardware decode for it. Like 17% CPU usage.

You're the one that's sounding like the shill tbqh google pajeet

>tablet with keyboard
Costs more and isn't as comfy. Android tablets are trash, iPads are expensive as fuck and not pure shit Windows tablets are even more expensive.

Chromebooks have a great balance of functionality, security, comfort and price for most peoples computer needs. Also they are easy to service. Shit's great for companies and schools. Besides, Chrome OS is even easier to use than Winshit, so the user is unlikely to mess things up.

You can install Linux on many of them.

Install gentoo

Because they are cheap and do all that is required.

Not defending chrome - never tried it, but w10 sucks on low spec machines. I'm currently surfing on a winbook (microcenter) tw11, 11.6" 2-in-1.
Great form factor (for browsing/.pdf viewing) but crippled by the os. 32gb emmc. 13gb free when new, less than 6gb free after running windows updates - after several multi-hour windows update cleanups.

W10 is similarly unusable for HTPCs - you never know when playback is going to grind to a halt because of updates.

tl;dr W10 kind of works for new-ish, high spec desktops. Every other use-case sucks.

>not worry about someone stealing because it was only 2-300 bucks
Get a load of this guy

Not sure I agree. It runs great on the no ports Macbook, which is new but basically tablet-tier hardware. Hell, I had it on a HP TM2 from 2008 with a 0,9Ghz Core2Duo and 4GB RAM, and that was a rather nice experience, outside of it being Windows.

Maybe the issue with your ghettobook is the lack/speed of storage?

Or Pixelbook

Because it is perfect for normies
>browse web and use web services
>edit documents
>consume media
>maybe play some shitty games to pass time
Really most people don't use computers for anything besides these purposes.
And all of it available in 100$-200$
>tablets
Too rugged and shitty keyboards
>old computers
Not everyone can handle old shit, also too much of a bother to setup

Attached: b64313085b888070afafe4c55c22106c--humor-memes-news-source.jpg (300x300, 13K)

>Normies

Adding fag as a suffix to words doesn't make you anymore edgier or cooler faggot.

No, but it does distinguish between the hacker known as Jow Forums and normalfags who say 'normie' instead of normalfag.

because i don't use my computer as a typewriter

I got a chromebook for my mom because she just uses the internet browser anyway

cool found any nudes on it?

Honestly chrome books could have been good but they turned out to be absolute crap. 32gb of storage? Are you fucking kidding me? I remember when even low end laptops had at least 300-400gb mechanical hard drives. I mean you can't even store media for offline consumption on these things.

That's kind of the point.
Most models have SD card readers, and some even have replacable storage drives.

I know. Doesn't make it any less retarded.

It does, though. If you really need more than 32gb on a Chromebook just insert an SD card or USB stick, or don't buy a Chromebook.

brought a chrome book an acer 11 flip something. got it on ebay it was about £150 off the rrp.

its ok but you cant do fucak all except web browsing. internal sd card is shit for watching media, same as streaming. best bet is to run any movies of a usb stick.

its too slow. i cant upgrade it. i wish i had brought a laptop.

My point exactly

Second hand they cost less than €50. Battery lasts for 3h+. I use one for shitposting on the internet which is why they were made. For most normies that only use laptops for checking social media and YouTube Chromebooks are great. If I got a table I would have to get it some case just so it would stand one the table and some sort of keyboard because I don't like typing on touchscreen. I can connect the Chromebook to TV by HDMI when I have people over (my other laptop didn't have hdmi) or connect it to my Bluetooth speaker. But yeah , it's pretty much a tablet in a permanent case with a keyboard and this works for most normies

Why do you need more than 32gb?Just use Google Drive and your NAS.

I have been thinking that instead of chrome os that niche could have been filled with lightweight lunix. If only lunix people bothered to combine their efforts and make only 1 variant of the OS and at the same time made it retard friendly.

If people in Linux community were able of collaborating instead of each new guy makeing a new version of the same crap than Linux would be a different beast all together

Xubuntu exists, you know.

Also elementary OS for iFags

pretty sure theyre mostly targeted towards students for the fact that theyre cheap and are good for note taking. Normies probably by them because they dont want a full os they want some icons they can click to load up facebook with no hassle and minimal input required. Thats why smartphones are so popular. A huge amount of normies dont even own computers anymore theyll use their phone or tablet for everything

Attached: 1513921138013.jpg (1146x2000, 246K)

What are Chromebooks like for watching Netflix/Youtube? I assume HD viewing is fine on something like an Acer CB 14?

why are you asking me desu I wouldn't go near one of those trash machines

Attached: 1532860387422.png (549x768, 580K)

Sorry bro didn't mean to link to you.

an apology isn't good enough desu

Attached: 21297353_10212966391810327_2207932808725266432_n.gif (480x270, 829K)

because they're exceptionally cheap due to google using them as a way to collect more data (in turn fueling more ads)
so tldr subsidies

kind of funny windows gets shit on more than a literal fucking ad agency selling laptops

but you would go near little girls like these, wouldn't you?

i would if they were 2d desu

Attached: 1524654324239.png (1200x750, 1.12M)

12 hours on my acer chromebook 14. Windows is a bloated OS that runs like shit on less advanced configurations. I owned a shitty little asus T101HA and it was simply unusable.

Gentoo is more functional than winblows will ever be

Two words... CLOUD STORAGE.
Most students that study humanities or social studies don't need anything other than Google Doc, because of the fact that they get unlimited storage.

>i would if they were 2d
right

>t. normalfag

because it's the perfect shitposting and animu watching device.
tablet doesnt even come close to typing speed and comfy level.

Attached: 2018-08-08-202850_1366x768_scrot.png (1366x768, 217K)

Hey man can you answer my question here: Please and thank you :)

Attached: Capture (3).jpg (848x474, 51K)

I have a macbook pro because it wasnt given to me through a gov grant. In retrospect I shouldve pawned it for 2500 but eh its been alright