Linux doesn't run well on my computer

>i5 4460
>8 GB of RAM
> SSD 120 GB
>1 Seagate HD for Anime and TV Shows

I installed Linux Mint and Xubuntu a few times and none of them run as fast as my modified version of Windows 10 or my Hackintosh (currently on High Sierra 10.13.6).

I really thought it was the iGPU graphics but most forums say that it is enabled by default. It should well, right?

Well, I tried.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1920x1080, 133K)

the worst part is that I used it enough to fall in love with its customizations and now I'm stuck with both Windows and macOS interfaces.

Mint is pretty damn bloated. Arch, minimal Debian netinstall, and Gentoo all work noticeably faster on this Pentium G4560 - heck, Gentoo with freaking KDE casually outclasses Mint Cinnamon by noticeable margin.
Haven't used Xubuntu. I thought it was supposed to be a lightweight distro, but as mentioned I don't have first-hand experience with it.

Xubuntu was okay, actually. The problem was with the browser (a.k.a 80% of my time using a computer). Both Firefox and Chrome were really bad when I was using it, especially if compared to the Windows 10 version of both apps.

I liked Mint at first, but there were a lot of apps that I don't give a fuck about, and the fact that I couldn't choose what to install made me angry.

>Arch, minimal Debian netinstall, and Gentoo all work noticeably faster on this Pentium G4560

Aren't those supposed to be designed for advanced users? I barely know how to type sudo apt-get update.

How were you noticing that it's not smooth? There might be some tweaking that can be done. Unless of course you were talking out of your ass and are here to shill people away from Linux.

Xubuntu should run like a charm with these specs. I run it with an old Core2 cpu, 4GB RAM and a ton of additional software running like Docky, and it's perfectly fine.

>nd none of them run as fast as my
By what testing methology? The speed of windows opening or what?

Like 30 minutes ago I was using an "ok" version of a software and after I installed the same piece of software on both Xubuntu and then Mint that software ran like crap. There were all glitches if I scrolling the mouse "too fast". even though I was doing it just like I did on Windows.

I used Linux (Ubuntu) once a few years back and I was still able to install Arch and get it up and running well. Follow directions, and if problems arise, search for answers.

What fucking software. "A software" doesn't tell anything at all

That's what I've been hearing on YouTube and forums. I don't have any idea why this is happening. I thought it was the graphics from my CPU but I can't find a way to solve this. I even downloaded that Oibef(or something like that) alternative drivers.

Everything was customized and ready to go :/

Did you install to your HD by mistake?

Browsers. I spend 80% of my time online using either Firefox or Chrome and neither of them were even close to their versions on macOS or Windows, with the same hardware.

The menu was horrible as well. If I scrolled the mouse to a certain section of the menu it would take forever for the cursor to get that, not responsive at all. It would also take a few seconds for any option built in the OS (like system preferences) to open.

Not the case. I thought that as well when I first tried to install the OS but I even disconnected the hard drive to make sure that I would not install the system in the wrong hard drive.

I also tried to install it again this morning just to get angrier.

if it's graphical application, then there's really no way around it. OpenGL is slower than DirectX(windows only) , and Vulkan, while being the same on all devices, isn't very popular right now (i hope that some major game engine could adopt it)

I will watch some videos and read some tutorials about it to see if it's worth it.

Get Arch or Gentoo and install the minimal plasma-desktop package and sddm for login manager. KDE is the smoothest experience I ever had. If you do not care about bloat then install opensuse tumbleweed but opensuse is awful slow compared to Arch and Gentoo

Attached: fetch.png (904x566, 91K)

Shouldn't it run properly on this hardware, though? I've read a lot of good things about Xubuntu but I just can't get to run it properly. I've only used Windows and macOS but I really want to try Linux for an extended period of time before having an opinion bout it.

>If I scrolled the mouse to a certain section of the menu it would take forever for the cursor to get that
Can you record it

Like the only possibility I can think of is that your application was swapped out because you've been running some high-priority process like file copying/compression/metadata gathering.
Back in the days of having just 2G of RAM I've experienced something roughly similar when I was copying large file to a USB stick and with default vm.swappines set to 60 every piece of software got swapped to disk just to cache the copied file.

Some desktop environments like KDE after the initial installation collect metadata about the files it has access to, so it can bog an installation for a few minutes too.

Can I install everything I could install on Ubuntu?

Have you tried a linux distro that wasn't based off debian/ubuntu?

There must be something wrong with your system. That doesn't sound right at all. Firefox on Linux has always been faster than Firefox on Windows. XFCE should be fast but maybe try some other DEs as well to see if they work better for your PC. Also check some task manager to see what kind of stuff is running and maybe even run systemd-analyze blame to see which service took the longest while booting up.

OP, what screen resolution are we talking about here?
I had a Thinkpad with an i5 and similar specs and whenever i'd hook it up to a 1080p monitor things would slow down, but at it's native 1280x800 everything worked like a charm, it had a terrible integrated GPU so that's probably why

Yep, absolutely

install x11 on macos then

Use GNOME. It is the most slick and performant Linux desktop. Renown for its low resource usage and blazing fast speeds, it is the most popular enterprise Linux desktop for a reason.

enterprise linux does not have desktops. Also GNOME is the worst fucking piece of desktop ever made, losing more and more features. It feels like a restricted tablet UI and the developers are cunts

Linux is a kernel.

1920x1080

I'm using a 23" LG Monitor

and is your GPU good enough for that?

Do you have compiz installed?
I think you're talking about screen tearing.

>80% of time on browsers
tell us your swappiness value?

Install Microsoft Windows 10.

>OpenGL is slower than DirectX

Attached: meter.png (500x292, 173K)

Yes. I even edit videos on Final Cut using it. No problems at all.

What issues are you having user?

>maxresdefault.jpg

have you created an xorg.conf file? you know, so you can actually SAVE your modified intel IGPU modifications? have you even edited the display? display is usually the culprit when things are running shittily. though I was under the impression that LM had the ability to edit xorg.conf out of the box

Kek, reminds me this...

Attached: 1531097858928.png (650x4377, 871K)

>I installed Linux Mint and Xubuntu a few times
you know those have live cd right?

try antergos

>minimal Debian netinstall
never ever ever, never

it's a debian thing, i tried debian and ubuntu within the last year and they both work horrible

try another distro that is NOT debian related
like fedora or something

and NEVER install debians without trying them out first

reminder that the biggest secret on Jow Forums is that the real Jow Forums meme is not install gentoo but install debian

>it just werks™
like shit that is

Just stay on WinOS as desktop system
Use Linux only if You are autistic elitist or if Your job is somehow connected to using Linux

Nigga I can make GNU/Linux run well on a fucking toaster, stop bloating your system

you should research debian netinstall as it's easier to install than arch.

ITT the absolute state of Linux

>Install Ubuntu
>No, install Kubuntu
>No, install Xubuntu
>No, install Debian
>No, install mint
>No, install arch
>No, install gentoo

Kek

Just install windows my friend

Attached: 1517523571081.jpg (1066x600, 40K)

There is absolutely no way that Windows 10 would run smoother than Xubuntu, something's fucked on your end

See and don't bother replying.

End up installing macOS High Sierra.

Thanks, everyone.

Go fuck yourself. I don't understand why your pointless thread is still up.

Your problem is the video card and/or drivers desu. Don't waste your time looking any further

install linux-ck
thank me later

I had issues like that but I was using a virtual machine.

Actually install gentoo.

cant believe people falling for bait so badly or not ignoring this brainlet.
oh how the times have changed

Kek

>I'm browsing from my computer built in like 2014 with 2013 hardware
>8GB RAM
>AMD A10 FM2 Processor
>500GB WD Green from a DVR
>Ubuntu 16.04 installation way faster than Windows 10

>FreeNAS server
>i5 3470 or something.
>8GB of RAM
>old 120GB laptop HDD as boot disk
>Boots in under a minute
>Does what it's told

I don't see a problem here. Just install Gentoo.

>rx480
>1440p
>install linux
>install kde
>quickly drag widow around
>doesn't feel smooth
>maybe it's just kde, install xfce
>drag window around, still same problem
>graphics feel smooth on both win10 and high sierra
is opengl just shit or what?

Attached: 8309d770.png (208x255, 62K)

Try installing other distros.
I have i5 4260u and 4 gig of ram, and OpenSUSE works quite good. With KDE

I ran and tried to install a few Linux distros on a laptop. It wasn't worth fiddling with some enough to make them work right, and sometimes they wouldn't work at all.

Screen tearing might make this illusion. And since Intel drivers are never fixed - XFCE requires manual fix, that will work 50/50

/thread

Arch and Debian are very easy, they're just a meme at this point because you have to type in a console interface. I just recommend installing Manjaro XFCE-minimal, it's easy enough for an end user that prefers GUIs

Screen tearing is noticeable different from your computer just "not running well" so I doubt that is the issue but if it is OP should just look up how to install compton

Dunno, I when I used XFCE I thought that something wasn't running right

Install fedora, using any OS besides fedora is just fucking stupid.

*tips distro*
Fedora is shit.

My sides kek

yes, it's all shit.