WHAT THE FUCK

>revisit old high school for registration for my lil brother
>notice something
>all teachers have 12-inch MacBooks, some in rose gold
>computer lab is now full of iMacs
>library has iMacs
>principal uses 15inch macbook pro
>only saw two windows machines
>mfw my lil brother told me that 99% of high schoolers would rather bring their own MacBooks than their district issued chrome books
>he also said that he brings a MacBook
When the fuck did this all happen??

Attached: 1495686183883s.jpg (250x222, 7K)

Other urls found in this thread:

people-press.org/2015/03/04/most-say-government-policies-since-recession-have-done-little-to-help-middle-class-poor/few-with-family-incomes-of-100k-embrace-the-label-upper-class-2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The school is mostly middle class. Think of the most average and normal american high school. Thats what it is.

Most schools were shilled by apple in the early 2010s to have ipads in the classroom. Most homework and assignments are done over the internet now and botnet is fully embraced and taught to the young of today.

macbooks at least have unix terminal, so kids could learn something useful instead letting perverts watch them fapping botnetsoft

Murrica.

>implying a grade school kid will use the linux terminal instead of going to the "apple store" and asking a "genius" meanwhile trying to convince his mommy to buy him a new iPhone

Attached: cat_how_homosexual_of_you.png (320x210, 101K)

>The school is mostly middle class
They (you?) might identify as middle class, but so do a lot of rich people.

people-press.org/2015/03/04/most-say-government-policies-since-recession-have-done-little-to-help-middle-class-poor/few-with-family-incomes-of-100k-embrace-the-label-upper-class-2/

>When the fuck did this all happen??
gorillion years ago you wannabe boomer.

Attached: 1523368539803.jpg (300x300, 20K)

This.

>linux terminal
>on macos
it's a unix terminal not a linux terminal you retard

whatever nigger, you know what I meant

Attached: terry_davis.jpg (480x360, 11K)

at my lil brother's school, they give option to either borrow school's ipad or bring your own.

There were no macs when i was still at the school, which was 4 years ago. We only had dell optiplexes because macs were deemed "too limiting". I did have an Indigo iMac G3 when i was in kindergarden tho

This happen to me on my second year at Uni.

I actually wrote an Stallman an email with pictures of the school library, and how they used Mac's on the Mobile Development classes.

He answer me a couple of days letter, telling me that I should stand up in front of the school's shop shouting messages anti-ithings.

It was pretty funny, perhaps I should have done that.

Schools using Windows is the anomaly, not Macs. Schools have been primarily using Macs for over 20 years.

That's literally how they stayed in business before OSX, a near monopoly on school computers.

My schools always had Macs, and started getting chromebooks the last few years I was there. Not sure how I feel. The chromebooks are gonna be more free thanks to coreboot, but both machines will run a non-free OS anyway, and near the end of high school we were doing a lot of assignments in google docs/drive.

Somehow I skipped the first line you said and was becoming horrified at the thought of a young kid doing this. If it was uni, though, that actually seems fine to me. I'm partially avoiding going to college because of a fear of being forced to use non-free software. Specifically I'm afraid they'll hide it, since the average person won't care, and then one day they'll say you have to use a lab computer, or have to use matlab or whatever else. The FSF should start some program to free schools, or recognize schools that are freedom-respecting. I keep thinking about emailing Stallman about this, but I think he actually makes somewhat of an exception for this sort of thing. I think I remember hearing that if you're in a situation where you can't help but use non-free software, it's better to just get it over with and return to your life of freedom at home. Especially if the reason is that you need non-free software for your job or something.

This shit originally happened back when I was in school, every computer was an Apple IIe. Then we briefly went back to generic beige box windows computers until the colored imac all in ones came out.

It's sad because macbooks are actually the best laptops and strike the perfect balance between linux and actual software

It pisses me off to no end that no other company in the entire fucking world has considered just making something similar to what apple has done

>take linux
>make it work with hardware + software
>sell that hardware and software
>make fucking insane money

Apple pays schools to use Macs to get kids used to them early in life.

My highschool was still using Windows 2000 in 2014

This is computing in the hands of useless government bureaucrats (education system).

Back in my high school (graduated in 04) there was a couple classrooms with nothing but macintosh.

>forced to use pen and paper in school
>always lose my books and loose papers
>loved typing and this would've allowed me to easily copy down stuff than writing
>had to search throufh bag for that one book of notes I could never find, on a computer it would've been found instantly by typing a keyword

I left school in 2006 and they were still using Windows 98 in the computer rooms.

Attached: 1526901201726.png (633x758, 29K)

When I first went to highschool in 2011 we had iPads issued to every student and all assignments were digital and turned in online. We would annotate over pdfs. Some schools have all computers iMacs besides a windows lab, and some schools have all windows computer with a mac lab. There's also usually chrome books or old thinkpads.

I've heard good things about the Dell XPS 13(?) that can come with Ubuntu.

Apple sells directly to schools, so they might be getting a great deal.

Use It or Lose It

Your tax dollars well spent (for the sake of not losing the funds which will be wasted next year)

you all are talkimg about clapistan right?

When I was in elementary school, we used to have two Macintosh Color Classics in each classroom and a bunch of Power Mac 6100s in the library. In the summer of 2001, they upgraded to iMacs that looked a lot like these, and because I lived directly behind the school (across from the soccer fields), I could see that they were taking all the old Macs outside, and I thought they were being tossed. So I went to work "rescuing" them. I managed to make off with a Color Classic, a 6100 and an AV monitor in my wagon, but when I went back for a second load someone stopped me. Apparently these things were being donated to schools on Indian reserves. I think they were of more use in my basement fucking around with video software (pic related). Many fucking fond memories with those things, but not enough to coax me into actually BUYING Apple products.

Yeah by the time I was in high school it was all Dell PCs, specifically those shitty plastic Optiplexes. Though we did have some eMacs in the art and design department, as well as a "Mac Lab" with a half-dozen iMac G5s.

Funny, when I was in high school, they began issuing Thinkpad X200t tablets to the freshman Grade 10s (I missed out on this because I was in Grade 12 at the time). I would think that is a better machine to issue if you want to teach kids about computer literacy, considering how locked-down iPads are.

Attached: _DSF0094.jpg (1024x768, 215K)

Average household income in my county was ~85k and we got thinkpads. And by "got" I mean we got to use them in class maybe three times a year.

Really makes you think

In my area, they were funded from grants by the University of Penn.

>make off with a Color Classic, a 6100 and an AV monitor in my wagon
not a bad heist for a 10 year old

Attached: impressed.jpg (288x428, 29K)

>not a bad heist for a 10 year old
Who didn't even know he was pulling off a heist. It was sort of an open secret among my classmates for grades 5 and 6 that the computers I used to type up those fancy written reports from home were both stolen from the school.

Better computer supplies budget?

>xps 13
I own one of these pieces of shit. Coil whine sucks, it overheats, the screen is too dim, and also too small to get legitimate work done. The ""developer edition"" costs more and comes with Ubuntu (which you can install yourself, or choose your own distro, on the cheaper model)
Just switched to a 2018 MacBook pro 15", solves all of those problems.

Dim screen? I have a 9365 with the 3200x1800 resolution panel, and it can literally burn your retina.

On the topic of questionable tech decisions in schools does anybody know why barely functioning schools keep adding shit like laptops and smartboards? When I graduated high school our water fountains and bathrooms were barely functioning (my brother actually said they found some shit in the water fountains couple years back and had to replace all of them) and the shop areas were pretty rundown, but they had no problem putting some expensive shit nobody every used in an algebra classroom and upgrading all of the computer lab MS word machines to i7s.

>Trillion-dollar company sells things
Valuable insight, user.

Attached: Best girl low effort.png (628x673, 359K)

you even wonder why today's american kids are so tech illiterate and pajeets and spics are stealing all jobs? this is why

If the choice is between a macbook and a super-botnetted-by-school-and-google chromebook, I gotta say they're probably making the right decision. If their choice is between a macbook and a windows 10 laptop... I gotta say, Windows 10 is so fucking bad that, if they can afford it, the macbook is probably still the better normie option. I don't see any kids jumping on the linux bandwagon, and if they do, they'd do it themselves.

The normies' way of interacting with tecc is more influenced by how much time their parents have, and media representations. Only people with genuine curiosity or interest in how things work would ever dump tons of time into learning skills that don't benefit them in the near future

This is the nightmare that is the modern sillicon valley. What a fucking terrible fate that technofascism is the way and there's no way off

have you actually used the new applel osx? shit is so locked down, dumbed down and iphonified I'd rather have children be using botnetOS or FBI backdoors : The operating system

>not installing gNewSense on all school PCs near you

shame on you, user

Attached: 1.jpg (183x275, 14K)

You say "locked down", "dumbed down" and "iphonified" like they're bad things for a normal user. These are dumb highschool kids with 24/7 access to the internet.

The ones genuinely interested in technology will eventually run into the frustrations you and I would run into. Those are the ones who will eventually use something else.

Been meaning to watch it, is it any good?

doesn't apple have a bios? just use some sort of flash drive OS instead when you're there

dont know, i tried reading it years ago, got a few chapters in, and dropped it cause it was complete trash, i dont think the anime is any better

school board votes for these decisions intentionally to make their teachers disposable

any schmuck can drop pre-approved worksheets into a cloud folder and tell students to download them and upload them to a separate cloud folder

furthermore, the faster computers are bought because they retain resale value when the school board votes to replace computers with new ones (all of the old ones go on sale at auction)

facilities on the other hand are too expensive to regularly maintain so they only do that on the heels of a huge remodeling of the school

win 98 was comfy, you lucked out

My school was less funded than a normal one and redneck as fuck.

We had a cart of like 30 Macbooks in the middle school that would be wheeled around to various classes. I didn't really understand how to use the OS and just used the internet basically.
We also had some dell craptops that unironically took 6 minutes to boot that all we used for was the internet.
Finally the school just bought a bunch of chromebooks and it was actually the best purchase they made.
>boots up instantly
>surfs the web
>watches YouTube tutorials

Your school district is probably a lot more funded than ours, so a shit ton of macs wouldn't surprise me. I guess the only reason we got them is because we didn't have the nigger theft problem other poorer schools had, instead we had a couple of "oh shit some guy forgot to take his .22 out of his truck bed from hunting, better call the police and lock-down", but that was about it.
Fucking libruls.

You're probably right user. I was baka and got the 1080p screen (figuring that that kind of resolution wouldn't make much of a difference on a 13" panel). How do you deal with DPI scaling on Linux?

well 98 was still supported in 2006, to be fair

You're right. Hold down the Options key when you start up and you can boot from USB or another hard drive. Just like everything else Applel makes, their UEFI is locked down too, and that's the biggest thing you'll be able to change about it.

>he dosen't know
uhh, whats a "gombuter"?

In my last year of college they finished building the new school of business and i had an Auditing class in which there were three smartboards between two walls, it was such a waste of money.

>District issued Chromebooks
lmao how cucked can america get. You're literally eating the botnet up.

>tfw my high school computer was an acer netbook with a celeron processor and 2gb of RAM
i wouldn't trade it for the world. played ocarina of time and super mario 64 every day during boring classes

We had Windows XP in our computer labs until 2012

i guess macs are big only in murica cuz in yurope everyone's using windows.

>choice is between mac and chrome
beat the little shits with your linuxed thinkpad user. become a serial beater with a black assault laptop with military style keyboard.

I dont have a librebooted thinkpad. I actually use a macbook because i can switch between macos, windows, and linux disrros.

Well, schools always get the worst hardware that only plebs are not ashamed of using.

Attached: stats.png (407x411, 177K)

It happened a while ago because of le "macs neber get viruses" meme and because apple pushed really hard for schools to have them.

Still eons better than Windows botnet.

To be fair 50k a person for husband and wife isnt a whole ton. If they were both 100k each or 150k+ total then yeah I would definitely say upper class

I can't really remember what computers we had. Something akin to an Apple II in the "computer lab" but the computer didn't actually have an operating system far as I remember, you literally had to insert the word processing 5 inch floppy first then when you wanted to save you had to use a 3.5" floppy. Half the time the floppy didn't actually write so you would leave class and find your day's work ruined.

In the mid 90s when I was around 6th grade some of the computers were upgraded to "new" Macintosh computers. I didn't really fuck with them as we weren't allowed to print up work we wrote, everything was to be in cursive script as that was still emphasized at the time. By the time I was graduating in 2004 the had generic beige boxes running Windows 98. I took an elective for "Computer Programing" and I'm fairly positive the guy had no idea how to code at all and was literally worse off than some of the students and guided entirely by the book. He was trying to teach us Visual Basic but nobody could "study" the course material at home as we didn't have the IDE. My final exam was to write an entire word processor with dictionary and the ability to load/save and printing capabilities, in under 45minutes... what a shitshow.

Windows 2000 is the cat's meow. Consider yourself lucky.

schools like them because they are super locked down and cant be used for gayming or most other things not school related. they also get deals for bulk buying them from the state government usually.

At my old high school every room had at least one smart board, and only about 10% were even functioning

My high school gives freshmen macbooks to keep through out school and if they graduate they get to keep it. Kind of makes me jealous a bit. Oh and ipads. Not only did this start happening the year after i graduated, the division starting after me in boot camp started getting iPads for their training and manuals. I don't like apple but free is cool and i missed out on some expensive shit.

Now subtract tax and look at the current real estate prices.

And I was getting mad at my school for using Win10.

Attached: 1443815923279.jpg (385x383, 18K)

>needs DPI scaling
Are you blind, user?

>A computer system is objectively better if it scores 10% higher in geekbench

>too limiting
>here use a DOS shell instead

What? It's a 4K 13" screen. Windows scales to 200% by default.
Honestly even using Linux (manjaro, i3) with default settings looks pretty small on my 13" 1080p screen, but just barely big enough to deal with. I could never get the DPI to scale properly

i remember looking at girlsgonewild on those

My school had Apple back in the 80s.

Attached: 348909D2-0DBA-4F9D-97FE-3F6ACC9F71E4.jpg (375x500, 58K)

>live in city that wastes all education funds on sports
>all public schools had thinkpads and thinkcentres
feltgoodman

My state could never afford this becausr we have no state income tax. Just remember that's your tax dollars

So far with the anime if you like beautiful scenery and dem sparkles it's pretty damn good. CG is handled very well and allows for some really nice dynamic shots. It starts to get a little dark and the plot gets more interesting towards the end that's for sure next season seems like it might be pretty Dank. Only 1 seasons out atm but it's a decent 8/10 for me.

Speaking of computer literacy, it makes me angry that computer literacy is considered knowing how to do basic shit in the OS. I really don't understand how someone could use something every day and not wonder about or care how it works.

What turned me off from Macs for a long time was my first time using a Mac in high school. You put the disc in the trash can to eject?! What are brain dead things you have to do it get this thing to work?

If you're not in a city like NYC or LA houseprices aren't bad at all though. Where I am you can get a pretty decent house for 70k, a very nice house for 120k and a giant house with tons of land for 200k. All of which are affordable on a 60k a year salary for a single person.

>be yuropoor
>only seen a mac once
feels good man

>mfw my lil brother told me that 99% of high schoolers would rather bring their own MacBooks than their district issued chrome books

yeah no shit

Attached: 1531998177558.jpg (675x601, 15K)

Everyone in my old school district got individual iPads.

>Where I am you can get a pretty decent house for 70k, a very nice house for 120k and a giant house with tons of land for 200k
Yeah but you also live in a high crime shithole filled with either niggers or "whites" on meth and heroin.
If you live in a city at least you can seclude yourself in your office/apartment until you save up enough cash to finally leave this shithole mutt country.,

>he thinks the endpoint matters

laughinggrills.jpg

yeah so how's life in arkansas these days

My old elementary school had Apple products and I started kindergarten in 1999. They've been doing this for a while, user.

I wanted one of these so fucking bad.

Some kids go through a gay phase, it passes for most of them.

my high school/elementary school was mostly PCs as well but my university is very much a mixed environment and there are/were still tons of Mac shops, it mostly just depended on the opinions of whoever was in charge or what their users wanted, Apple's always been a non-trivial figure in education since the Apple II days

these anecdotes are always so silly

My uni forced lab software, ....its terrible

>a hexa-core is faster than a quad-core

Do you even understand that shit you posted? Do you even know those same hexa-cores are in the 15" now?

Same. Graduated in 2013 and all 4 years it was Windows 2000 on PIII beige boxes with 17" CRTs. Teachers had ancient Dell Latitude laptops and most videos we watched in class were on VHS.