Are TN panels really that bad?

Are TN panels really that bad?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (2560x1440, 270K)

No. /Thread

This, now sage

Yes, unless you're color blind.

Yes. /thread

Yes, unless you're a gaymurfag obsessed with muh response time

It's twisted just how bad they are.

it depends on the manufacturer, but the shittiest IPS panel will still look better. Response time is a meme and has zero impact on your gameplay unless you're a pro gamer and if that's the case you need to evaluate your life instead of worrying about panels.

This. High-end TN isn't that bad, only old low end ones.
>Had a 600 € 4K TN until a few months ago
>Now have a 900 € 4K IPS
Its very similar, you notice slightly better colors, they look more vivid
Viewing angles don't matter unless you sit in the sun or multimonitor
I had a cheap IPS (IPS237L) last year, I didn't notice any difference. You are correct for response times, but this only accounts for modern IPS panels, those since 2014 have similar response times to TN. Only old pre 2014 had higher responses.

They are fine if you don't use anything else but once you had a non TN monitor/laptop screen, they start to look washed out.

Nice quads

Nice quads

TN is a shit! The good IPS is expensive as fuck!

Oled has burning and VA for now is just a hybrid TN/IPS.

Depends, TN can be color accurate too, the Thinkpad had a 1080p TN panel with 97% NTSC color space. Also most IPS panels have really fucking shitty contrast ratios and IPS glow.

I appreciate this.

you know there's an option in the reporting feature to specify about announcing sage, right?

You don't /thread your own post.
Also fuck off, I'm not going back to TN

kek

>Viewing angles don't matter
Is this a thinly veiled Intel thread?

whats the next display technology that will save us?

>TN panels are ba-

Attached: 1530464878796.jpg (1600x326, 202K)

I've seen some really good TN screens lately that are better then 10 y/o IPS.

Yes.

And posting photoshopped pictures of monitors doesn't help.

Really makes you think

there are no quads

>*goes 1 degree to the left*
>colors look like shit

This isn't entirely true, you can have a terrible IPS panel with crappy contrast and color accuracy, and a TN panel with great contrast and color accuracy, and looking straight on the TN will be undoubtedly better to look at, the difference is that the IPS panel will maintain that accuracy and brightness at basically every angle and the TN will become fucked when you move your head a bit.

That said, you need a pretty garbage IPS and a pretty great TN panel to get there, and a great IPS panel just can't be beat.

If you want a good in-betweener (Better contrast, less glow, still decent colors, great off-axis viewing, and good response time), look for VA panels.

>t. stinkpad x220 owner

VA is superior to both.

yes

Attached: ips vs tn panel.webm (768x576, 1012K)

Attached: IPS fags.png (348x437, 6K)

>Jow Forums Tries It: Display Panels
Mega cringe

>Viewing angles don't matter unless you sit in the sun or multimonitor
WRONG. TN panels exhibit vertical gamma shift even from an optimal viewing position, due to their limited viewing angles. It is impossible to get consistent gamma and colour uniformity from a TN panel.

>He always stays on this desktop chair
>he don't have friends
>he don't multi monitors

IPS panels exhibit IPS glow even from optimal viewing position, you can see it as a halo similar to the color shift on a TN panel. Looks just as bad if not worse than the minuscule color shift of a current TN monitor.

TN as a tech is just fine. The 1440p ones are vivid enough and color accurate.
Obviously you'll have to deal with the inherent limitations of color/gamma shifting, but at least you're sure to not get IPS glow out the ass.

The worst thing about TNs nowadays is the panel coating. People were perfectly fine with the image quality of their glossy coated 120hz Samsungs back in the day.
For some inane reason only Dell don't use a shitty grainy matte coating on their 1440 TNs, and of course their gamer models have crosshatching and banding and shit and only come in a G-Sync variant

Real talk, should I get my boomer dad a 27 inch IPS monitor for $60 extra than a TN? He's using some godforsaken 23 inch stock monitor now, so I figure any upgrade will blow his mind. Would he appreciate the difference between IPS and TN if all he does is online shopping and clickbait youtube videos?

>halo similar to the color shift on a TN panel
Not even close.
Had a TN and IPS 27" monitors. TN literally had different colors at top and bottom. IPS hard any visible inconsistencies only when I had something dark on a screen at night (Skyrim loading screen).

Fuck TN, never again.

no, he will forget the location of the power button and will blame you for it

Depends entirely what your use case.
>Epic gaming: TN
Fastest response times
Fastest refresh rates
No backlight bleed
>caring about colour: IPS
Slow pixel response times (pixel smear)
Backlight bleed out the arse even on "good" panels
More expensive

>Fastest response times
>Fastest refresh rates
>No backlight bleed
These are all eliminated if you buy an expensive IPS one. Mine is quoted as 4ms GTG but it's way faster than my old TN 1ms GTG.

Yeah he probably will. I was on 56kb/s internet for most of my school life because he didn't want to lose his shitty ISP emails by upgrading (but he just told me they didn't offer ADSL to our address, even though I showed him multiple printouts of quotes for our address). He still uses those ISP emails and gets pissy when I tell him certain shit won't work because of it.

the blacklight bleed out the arse argument is not true.

entirely depends on manufacteurers quality control standards..

i myself got a LG 27UK650-W 4k monitor and expected the worst and
reviews told me that the blacks aren't that good.

so what did i get, a panel that looks vastly superior to my previous VA gaming panel
from Samsung in terms of clarity and homogenity and black levels + almost no blacklight bleed, not to mention sharpness.
so i guess i got really lucky on it.

any other than that, Eizo is onte of the best monitor manufacteurer on the planet when it comes to quality control most of the time

Objectively incorrect. TN is faster than IPS and is preferred for epic mega gaming. If you're casual trash, shitter's will tell you IPS is "ok" but it isn't. IPS just can't handle high refresh rates at all.

my Asus MG279Q and Eizo Foris FS2735 did just fine though..

but they are something inbetween AHVA and IPS..

>not buying a 144-165hz IPS panel with 1ms response time
>being a poorfag that uses TN garbage or high response time IPS

lmao

Maybe if you're a poorfag that can't afford a top tier IPS panel with good response time.

>buying a 144-165hz IPS panel with 1ms response time
almost all of those aren't actually 1ms response time, or if they are it's only with the fastest mode active and it probably disables other features on the monitor to achieve it.

True patrician choice is a 144hz VA panel, 3000:1 contrast instead of shitty IPS 1000:1 contrast, and still good enough response time to be worthwhile.