/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software have active mailing lists.
*Many free software has an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 785eda1fb8db895f2db9853a9c1e8521eda68df5921f76ae7cf8de6fa397fb23.jpg (832x1240, 476K)

Other urls found in this thread:

lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/6/857
youtube.com/watch?v=pzHwt8CNrF4#
youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc
wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distributions_based_on_Gentoo
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

What's the best desktop environment that doesn't require 3D acceleration at all? I'm setting up an xrdp thin client infrastructure and want to give my users nice clicky buttans rather than just a tiling WM or whatever. Does KDE work well with compositing disabled?

>ubuntu or kubuntu
>I need ubuntu
What are you looking for?

what's wrong with XFCE?
You could try budgie though, but goodluck.

lxde master race

>what's wrong with XFCE?
Xfce would be fine for me, but it's been a decade since I was a newbie, so I'm not really sure what the new hotness is with plebs.

how many of these have a dick?

Attached: etc init.d daemon stop.jpg (600x776, 96K)

well Pantheon or Budgie are probably the most normie friendly

Attached: DC519213-3BAA-4EA3-B2D8-231035C02926.png (681x665, 653K)

Those mikos use debian.
I love debian.
I want to fug miko.
Be my miko, use debian.

How do I start using FOSS exclusively without alienating myself from friends and family?

Is that Hiro on the right?

Force friends and family to use FOSS too

how do i make MPV usable?
Shit's so inconvenient compared to mpc.
I just want to finish a season of one show and start the other seamlessly.
In MPC i can just drag episodes and then folders and sort by label
in MPV it wipes the playlist on the second drag.
terminal or GUI, i don't care.

isn't that the old way? (i.e. before systemd)

I want to ravish her and fill her with my seed, then install Debian on her laptop, where I will show her the beauty if Emacs before going in and fucking her tight cooch for one more round of coitus. Afterwards, we'll live a happy traditional married life with 4 kids and GNU/Linux (and Emacs).

>Used Linux as my daily driver for ten years
>Haven't used it in the last two because I started playing games on my computer more often

Man, I really miss Linux.

Why is it so fucking hard to change the login background image in Elementary?

>in MPV it wipes the playlist on the second drag.
Hold shift for focused movement.

What is the best FSF approved distro? I am looking to try one.

Attached: 1532778119316.jpg (2272x1704, 1006K)

Trisquel

How do I put music on my iPhone?

systemctl stop unit.service

no more demons!

afaik "ifuse"

which distro supports GTK 3.22+ the best?

How do I deal with filenames full of unicode shit in the shell. I can't type them out or even read the characters.

Attached: 1533097568153.jpg (564x739, 30K)

Why is my notification icon different

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-07 17-51-55.png (281x32, 22K)

android 9.0

What?

so I hacked together bspwm with xfce and that's ended up causing so many problems that it needs to be changed.
I don't know where my bspwm gets launched/executed from.
Currently I have purged xfce however bspwm continues to run fine.

how can I stop bspwm from running and go back to stock xfce. If I reinstall xfce I'll still be running bspwm as the wm. I don't know where bspwm even gets launched from.
If I were to just remove bspwm and then install xfce, what would happen? I'm pretty sure there's a line in some file telling sxhkd and bspwm to launch so what would happen if those lines remained there but bspwm and sxhkd removed?
is there anyway I can find where those lines are located? I know I can search for it but where exactly should I start the search if I don't want to waste time searching the entire computer
there is no bspwm line in my xinitrc (the x11 file and the one in my home directory)

i hope you suffer in hell for typing this

which bspwm will show the location

What software should I install?

gentoo

lmao

I'm that dude above with the fucked xfce
I don't have internet on my shit anymore, I'm pretty sure uninstalling xfce got rid of the network manager or something similar.
I have plugged in ethernet and that does not work either.
ip a shows
1.lo
2.enp0s25
3.wlp3s0

>thinking systemd is the "new" way
>doesn't know there have been plenty of things before systemd

>the best
Every distribution that has that version in its repository "supports" it the same.

should I stop my docker containers before rebooting? If I just reboot will it shut them down gracefully? I use a rutorrent container and I have heard that rtorrent doesn't handle being killed very well if its writing something to disk.

how are fonts and freetype in fedora 28 ?

how fucked does your system need to be before you just start over and reinstall your distro?

Manjaro would kernel panic because it had some sort of furry yiff special grub2 settings, that if grub2 was updated by any other distro on the same machine, it would corrupt that one entry (why exactly does a bootloader need to regenerate operating system entries on update, anyway?)

rm -rf / levels of fucked.

Any font suggestions where I can just turn off AA and they would still look fine?

whats more comfy KDE or gnome?

Roboto Sans
Droid Sans
Fira Sans

For terminal
inconsolata

GRUB regenerates entries often because it is most commonly used to dual boot with Windows, which has been known to overwrite boot sectors without user permission. It's a defensive mechanism.

Been out of the GNU/Linux game for a bit, but I gotta come back.
For a minimal & comfy desktop is Debian netinstall with i3 (or some other tiling wm) still a good choice?

i recognised the OP image on the catalog, here is another if anyone wants it

Attached: 1429333270442-2.jpg (1152x2048, 198K)

Chuwi guy here again. Dolphin Vulkan on linux performs worse than DX11 on Windows 10 for some reason. Need to try Ishiiruka though.

One of the best friend.
If you aren't using testing I suggest looking into apt pinning for newer packages like mpv or firefox for example while maintaining a stable core set of packages like your desktop and kernel.

Meanwhile at Google
>It was officially decided to *not* allow Android devices to use Speck encryption
lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/6/857

>wanting to allow a cipher the nsa created

dhcpcd enp0s25
when you're plugged into ethernet.

GPU?
That one MS shill BTFO

>bought a used thinkpad
>came with unlicensed windows 10 pro
>mfw

btw can you libreboot gma+radeon dual graphics thinkpads? with the radeon chip being usable.

Attached: f45.png (600x597, 196K)

one year after i bought a t420, i installed windows on it and the computrace activated and an employee probably saw me jerking off before he shut it down, some nigger from washington dc stole it and it eventually made its way to me

Is Manjaro down with SPECK?
They use their own repositories for reference.

speck is being intergrated into the kernel, if what i read was correct, so i think all distros are getting it with 4.17
Just blacklist it. add
blacklist CONFIG_CRYPTO_SPECK

to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

>so i think all distros are getting it with 4.17
Nope it's not in the default config but arch does compile everything --with-kitchen-sink so arch will probably get it and most other distros won't

I-is that a boy?

Which kernel?

Oh ok, my bad. Thanks

Linux 4.17

arch community is discussing blacklisting it by default

>implying arch devs listen to the community

Intel HD 500 and my CPU is a Celeron N3450, which is almost as powerful as the N4200 but its intentionally blocked.
In windows I can change the TDP profile to max performance (so it goes up to 12w instead of 9w. i can also set it to minimum which is usually 6w)
I can set a low custom resolution and also set the cpu to always be boosted to 2.2ghz. Dunno how to accomplish all of that in linux but in Windows Mario Sunshine runs at 25-30fps on ishiiruka.

you can have cpu profiles
google it plus arch wiki

I have my cpu profile set to performance and it doesnt seem to help.
youtube.com/watch?v=pzHwt8CNrF4#
This youtube link is what I followed to get it working in Windows 10 (though I use throttlestop to achieve the same effect since I can toggle it on and off easier for a temp boost).
Thermals shouldnt be an issue since this chip has a copper shield but also a metal body so even at full pelt it feels mildly warm in one spot.
When I get back from work I'll have to experiment more. But only in the file select menu of Mario Sunshine running on Dolphin in Vulkan Im only getting a very smooth stable, but slow 17fps.
Custom low resolution might help but last time it didnt save what I set. I need to figure that out at least.

Can I use official Linux Mint image on VM?

Yes

uninstall ubuntu
youtube.com/watch?v=CP8CNp-vksc

still a mystery

How do I delete all file associations in my system to Wine?

I only recently learned about blocking winemenubuilder.exe in prefixes (I wish that was the default), so the damage was already done sadly

Fuck I hope so

Attached: 111098199989.jpg (530x600, 21K)

A long time ago I saw a video on youtube where a guy was running Ubuntu, and on his second monitor he was running win10 through virtualization. He used the integrated graphics for the Ubuntu and dedicated his gfx card to the virtual win10, also had a software kvm so moving the mouse to the edge of the screen would switch between the operating systems.

My only virtualization experience is using virtualbox (it's shit, right?). What software should I use to achieve something like this?

install vm player
follow the arch wiki for gpu passthrough
and pray it works.

thanks mate, I'll try it

fuck that shit, use QEMU

the answer will change depending on whether somebody who uses either gnome or kde answers.

yea been googling around, QEMU does seem to be more performant then vm player. Thanks for contributing to my question

there recent benchmarks?
vm player is a bit more convenient, but if qemu is better i'll switch.

Sipping coffee and configuring my home computer at work via ssh on a rainy day is so comfy

Attached: 1510248376733.jpg (1500x2264, 403K)

I have a pi working as torrent server for me. it also shares files via samba and it works headless via ssh. I noticed that sometime it gets unresponsive both for files shared via samba and ssh. after a reboot everything starts being responsive again. the previous uptime before the reboot was 2 weeks. to prevent unresponsiveness I scheduled a weekly reboot in crontab. is this going to help me? why is this happening?

So Manjaro is Arch Linux built up for you already. Is there a distro that does that but for Gentoo?

>Try linux mint
>Whenever a program uses a microphone input my voice AND sound becomes crackly and shitty as fuck
>Steam games that are "native" to linux are halfassed at best
>Won't load all the thumbnails in my 3000 unsorted menes folder
>Very limited mouse settings

Back to W10 LTSB ;_;, i gave it an honest try.

Attached: 1487662897707.jpg (600x615, 41K)

>an honest try
no you didn't. Mint is shit but you didn't even try to fix any problems. Linux requires tinkering sometimes, windows baby.

wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Distributions_based_on_Gentoo

What is a better distro?

Basically anything.
Try Ubuntu if you're scared of the command line for now, it holds your hand like Mint but isn't bad. Or Debian if you've shaken off the fear of the CLI.

Thank you. Now I demand more.

I've already used the terminal a bit to edit pulseaudio in an attempt to fix the crackling sounds but it didn't work. I tried ubuntu, it looked like something my mom or a girl would use on their laptops.

for entry level?
Elementary, Solus, Debian
If you want games though, you should use a rolling release distro. Which is one that's a one-time install and you update forever as soon as the update is pushed. Your packages are much newer and bleeding edge than non rolling-release.
OpenSuse tumbleweed, Antergos/Manjaro, Alpine, siduction, etc

You can make any distro look however you want
Ubuntu "looking like something your mom would use" is not true. What you mean is "the default desktop environment of Ubuntu looks like something my mom would use"

There are gorillions of different DE's available to pick from. There are also Ubuntu flavors that come with different DE's pre-installed. For example: Xubuntu (XFCE), Kubuntu (KDE), Ubuntu GNOME (GNOME), etc.

Debian Sid just werks for me and my games

Attached: 2018-08-05-093248_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 3.22M)

Attached: 2018-08-05-094549_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 1.39M)

sid's still pretty dated, but not bad.
i still love debian though, but arch's bleeding edgy spoiled me.

Attached: 2018-08-05-094120_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 250K)

Attached: 2018-08-05-004821_1920x1080_scrot.png (1920x1080, 3.31M)

Lutris and PlayOnLinux is something that i just could not get working, i would get various errors such as ERROR in POL_Shortcut and FS_Check.

Maybe i really am too dumb for Linux.

Attached: 1490462981191.jpg (5000x3606, 2.77M)