So wait.. let me get this straight: microsoft...

so wait.. let me get this straight: microsoft, the company which was actively preventing linux installations with the EFI bullshit is a member of the linux foundation and owns github? just how pathetic can you opensource dweebs get?

Attached: images.jpg (225x225, 8K)

They know their OS isn't tenable so they're building an escape hatch becoming a set of software services.

maybe on server&enterprise, there's no end in sight to it's chokehold on desktop.

>there's no end in sight to it's chokehold on (home) desktop.
That's only because they come pre-installed on most computers. But that's changing.

> was actively preventing linux installations with the EFI bullshit
Explain

>being this new
fuck off faggot, lurk more

Secure boot.
Needs a signed (by microsoft) bootloader, doesn't necessarily have a way to turn it off.
It's actually kinda nice to have once you configure it to only load binaries signed by you though.

> doesn't necessarily have a way to turn it off
Wow, that's something new.
Btw both my machines have it configured for linux, so I don't consider it bad.

Microsoft literally OWNS Linux.

Attached: MS_property.png (757x661, 141K)

>In August 2016 it was reported that two security researchers had found the "golden key" security key Microsoft uses in signing operating systems.[115] This allows any software to run as though it was genuinely signed by Microsoft and exposes the possibility of rootkit and bootkit attacks. This also makes patching the fault impossible, since any patch can be replaced (downgraded) by the (signed) exploitable binary. Microsoft responded in a statement that the vulnerability only exists in ARM architecture and Windows RT devices, and has released two patches, however, the patches do not (and cannot) remove the vulnerability, which would require key replacements in end user firmware to fix

It was mandatory to have a switch to disable it with Windows 8 x86, but no longer with Windows 10. Gonna be shit, but RISC-V soon.

Wow, a crappy compatibility layer. Tis is the power of Micropenis.

You don't know what "owning" means, especially considering how Linux is open source (distros and the kernel respectively).

No, I mean BIOS. Aren't hardware vendors violating something by not leaving SB switch in the settings?

>actively preventing linux installations with the EFI
Did you mean "SecureBoot"?

Nope. To stick a Windows 8 badge on a machine you needed to have a switch to disable secure boot, that was part of the certification.
They removed that requirement with Windows 10.

so how do redditors install loonix on their Hewlett Packard laptops

I bet it violates some of those EU fancy antitrust laws. If they start making SB unswitchable, it's only a matter of time someone of them gets a lawsuit.

Probably does violate some laws. Won't stop anyone for a while when it happens.

>doesn't necessarily have a way to turn it off.
Fuck off moron. Secure boot specs REQUIRE a way to turn it off.

>implying any UEFI implementations fully comply with the spec

For x86 anyways, ARMshit was always cancer though, so nobody cares that almost all of them are locked mobile trash.

>changing
how

As someone that actually carries a bootable Debian USB drive, I've never encountered any computers in 5 years except Macbooks that have refused to boot my portable environment.