UNIX Year 2038 problem

Do we really need an IBM 5100 to fix the UNIX Year 2038 problem or is this just a meme Jow Forums?

Otherwise every computer system on the planet is utterly fucked in 20 years time as no solutions exist

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_2038_problem

Attached: BDFA2900-7D4E-4D9C-9FBB-32A3E77BF36A.jpg (300x220, 27K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/03/epic-uptime-achievement-can-you-beat-16-years/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

T I C K T O C K

Linux on literal suicide watch

Attached: F1E43338-4ED5-4768-92A1-46E7B6895F3A.jpg (1535x573, 221K)

By 2038 worldwide communism will have set us back to an 18th century standard of living so who gives a shit?

Fugggg is there any point in learning Unix if it becomes obsolete Jow Forums? Or should I swallow the windows pill?

You should always swallow.

>Linux
it's not just linux problem
it's also databases problem and embedded systems problem, which means it's many different systems and devices problem, which means it's probably going to be your problem too

Didn't you fags learn your lesson at Y2K? It wont be as bad as people make it out to be.

I highly doubt anything will still be using a 32-bit only processor in 2038.

>Thinking everyone will be upgraded past 32bit in 2032

Maybe in 2132, but no. Most companies/schools/hospitals use legacy stuff because simply "if it works, why bother?" mentality. Plus some infrastructure stuff is built on legacy shit that cannot be ported over to new hardware easily or at all which makes it more wise to simply repair the hardware and keep it running than it would be to simply replace everything with new shit.

The problem is very much real, it's just a matter of if it will be patched or not.

I think there's one in Akihabara. Find a trap that lives in a shrine. He'll know.

Attached: maho smug.jpg (210x240, 9K)

>no solutions exist
you can change the type width to 64-bit, you mong. that's what openbsd did already.
inb4 cpu, you can have 64-bit data type on 32-bit cpu.

enough anime for today

This
Most 32 bit devices will either been replaced or broken down by than and everything new being made for several years already is 64bit

Most computer systems arent PC's or smartphones, retards. Think of all the billions and billions embedded systems that use cheap as fuck (a few cents) 8/16 bit microprocessors

The solution is making 2038 AD into 1970 R (Rollover)

Don't use 32-bit devices. Wow, fixed instantly!

You mean just increasing the epoch to a 64bit variable - it's already done...
even on x32 ABI

32bit devices can use a 64bit data type.
this is a complete nonissue as was already fixed several years ago.

yeah this

it's a good thing openbsd doesn't give two fucks about backwards compatibility

why do we need an IBM 5000 exactly? Or is this just a reference to the time travel usenet guy?

Not in this time line

Some anons probably wasn't born before Y2K :^)

It's not gonna happen because we're using 64 bit timestamps now.

literal Y2K snakeoil

You know you can just set your PC clock to that year and see if anything at all happens

>posting a mobile link

Attached: 1428628236420.gif (150x148, 996K)

Use plan9

>they actually think this is from an anime

Attached: 1520477857369.jpg (500x500, 79K)

Yeah, but what systems will actually still be using those or won't have drop in 64-bit ARM replacens in 20 years? We are talking about 20 years here, just look how much usage of those 8/16-bit based controllers and embedded systems have dropped in usage in the past 20 years.

Attached: 5E00A315-8B67-4CD8-998B-D74DB26B20A3.png (349x318, 229K)

OpenBSD does not have this problem

i doubt there will be much pre 2010 hardware still being WIDELY used by 2038

That cannot be, there are no minors here.

lmao you better hope there is. Imagine the money being wasted upgrading everything to modern hardware.

POS terminals, ATMS, office PCs, infrastructure, vending machines, fucking everything. Much of japan still uses old as shit machines because they just werk and the gov know better than to upgrade without reason

>Imagine the money being wasted upgrading everything to modern hardware
I’m too busy imagining the resources being wasted on maintaining systems well outside their useful life. Look at the ICBM program. Their shit is so old they literally cannot find people to maintain it because they’ve died.

That's why they should all be fired.

Fuckin SIMPLY Epic thread OP!!

Truly a maddo scientisto

EL PSY CONGROO

Kongroo*

You also forgot the MUHAHAHAHA

this

Systems based on a 8/16 bit microprocessor or microcontroller don’t run Linux or Unix.

Intel 8051 MCUs are still made by Atmel and co, even though better architectures were released 20 years ago. Heck, traffic light controllers still use Motorola 6800 (no, not m68k). An architecture that came out in 1975. Because it would be too costy to change.

r u guys ready for y2k.
I hear it's going to be the end of the world

>people born in 2000 can now legally post here

Attached: 1531889034904.jpg (600x238, 15K)

People born in the first half of 2000 are 18 now.

Anyone born on or before the 7th of August, 2000 is legally allowed to post here.

>fire the entire ICBM team
>severely cripple the US' nuclear capability
I'm sure that will end well.

most 32 bits and emulators, 64 bits are already fixes

I meant the ICBMs, smartass.

shut up you 20 year old

Oh, my bad, I agree with that.

By 2038 there will be no more white people, so the problem will be irrelevant because only whites use linux/unix

John titor is fake to sell fictions book.

Unix year is easy solver in computer and smartphone and common cycle live in tech consumer begin 3 to 5 years.

But ... microcontrollers and other integrate systems(PLC) still begin 32bits.

Today big companies still use windows XP or 7, companies support some systems per decades.

Maybe in 2038 some nuclear,millitar,industrial,civil or bank, fails.

You're a moron.

can you even read or are you just pretending to be retarded?

>Increasing the size of thetime_ttype to 64-bit in an existing system would cause incompatible changes to the layout of structures and the binary interface of functions.

>will kill myself by then
>not have to worry about it
Lifecucks will never understand how good it feels

we'll probably start fixing in the last 3 months of 2037

they'll hire C and C++ developers again to fix those old sandy bridge EP servers

Attached: c08556b417ad373b5cf7dc152f1a89b6.jpg (500x427, 80K)

>John titor is fake
GET OUT

We'll all be on 64 bit by then so no problem.

>tfw just started seeing this this year with CA certificates set to 20 year expiry
Fucking cisco.

Have you ever been to a Lowes? Their computer systems is a terminal. It prints an ASCII version of their logo. This is beyond outdated, and is a Fortune 500 company. I would not be surprised if a few large-scale systems got bit by Y2038.

Didn't all the BSDs already fix this? OpenBSD did.

Just recompile. If you're using closed-source software, that's your problem.

Oh no the date on the calendar application will go back to like 100 years ago. This is the end of the world as we know it.

Anime girls will solve this problem anyway.

Attached: 1526266588461.png (1280x720, 976K)

You seriously think that this one issue will be the death of Unix? So many things use Unix, this will obviously be resolved before the date.

Switch to unsigned ints or use 64 bit.

pedoweeb

Anime website.

>

Attached: whites.jpg (800x600, 68K)

OpenBSD fixed that bug years ago.

Actually it'll go back to 1st Jan 1970
It's also not an issue since every modern *nix and BSD already changed to a 64bit variable.
>bbbut we'll have to change it again later!
In several million years, yes.
I'm sure at that point, if we still exist and for some reason are still using an epoch based time for computer operating systems, we can move to 128bit to last until the heat death of the universe.

UNIX... haven't heard that system in a long time *cracks* now THAT was a real OS
*sips*

Attached: 1530978999353.png (380x349, 70K)

Linux did too.
So did everyone else.

It's a complete non-issue.
Except maybe for some old Pizza Hut restaurants still using some 1998 build of SCO OpenServer

>tfw we are still closer to the Y2k problem than we are to the Y2038 problem
Feels bad man

I for one, do care about the unemployment situation of missiles.

Maybe 10 years ago.
Oldfags get

don’t cut yourself

I've seen people running p2v'd SCO OpenServer under ESXi that hadn't been patched since 1997.
>as their production mail server

That reminded me of this:
arstechnica.com/information-technology/2013/03/epic-uptime-achievement-can-you-beat-16-years/

Steins Gate

We in theory migrated out of that a few years ago (i worked there til recently). The problem is, people couldnt figure it out so we just used some cancerous mix of genesis (old terminal base ascii) and sterling (new, gui, much better in every way apart from the receiving side) because people just went "well if i can still use both im gonna ude the one i was taught on, and not bother with the new one".
Many factories run on even older systems, pic related is terminal at current job
That burn in tho

Attached: 20180724_211942-2268x3024.jpg (2268x3024, 982K)

After dealing with Windows AD nonsense all week at work, I want Novell back.

muh libreboot

I do hope more freedom-respecting machines are around by 2038 and that most people have retired their old ThinkPads, though.

the time/date being wrong actually screws up security certificates and such

>whites
That is wrong. Stallman is Jewish.

That is the point. I was refuting 's claim that only white people use GNU/Linux.

>only white people use GNU/Linux.
That explains the 2% market share.

Nobody today uses Unix.

time_t is still 32-bit so that won't solve things on its own. Also, if suddenly it was announced to the world that all sub-64-bit systems will no longer work the world would catch on fire and explode

>Actually it'll go back to 1st Jan 1970
Incorrect. These are signed values. It'll go back to around 1902.

Linux is the most used operating system on Earth.

Stop using antique operating perhaps? Start using Haiku and React.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you’re referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I’ve recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.
Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called “Linux”, and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project. There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use.
Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine’s resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called “Linux” distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

lmao at all the underaged in this thread who did not experience the year 2000 bug.

hi

Imagine being this new.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Titor

Y2K made a lot of people a lot of money.
The thing that pissed me off was that it was 100% predictable but people were still avoiding addressing it in 1999.

You are fucking retarded if you think shit made post 2000 will last 20 years.