/spg/ - Smartphone General

Android Pie Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual phone size comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: android-9-pie.jpg (780x439, 73K)

Other urls found in this thread:

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-mix-2
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-mix-2s-global
amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Mi-LTE-Dual-SIM-Smartphone-15-2-black/dp/B0784RQR88
alternate.co.uk/Xiaomi/Mi-Mix-2-5-99-Dual-SIM-4G-6GB-64GB-3400mAh-Black-Cell-phone/html/product/1463424
amazon.com/Xiaomi-Unlocked-Global-Version-Warranty/dp/B079YJ5BKX/
amazon.com/Xiaomi-Unlocked-Global-Version-Warranty/dp/B07D82MTZL
asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-5Z-ZS620KL/HelpDesk_Download/
gizmodo.com/trump-tower-caught-on-fire-1825083084
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Im struggling to find either of those for under £400. Im looking at max around £350, any cheaper options?

kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-mix-2
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-xiaomi-mi-mix-2s-global

If you prefer not to order from China:
amazon.co.uk/Xiaomi-Mi-LTE-Dual-SIM-Smartphone-15-2-black/dp/B0784RQR88
alternate.co.uk/Xiaomi/Mi-Mix-2-5-99-Dual-SIM-4G-6GB-64GB-3400mAh-Black-Cell-phone/html/product/1463424

Android and iOS are both gay shitshows now. When will we get Gahnoo+Lynucks on phones with a nice simple interface that copies what smartphones used to be? Ubantoo Touch was horse shit, so is Sailfish OS. How's Plasma Mobile? I'm getting sick of all these massive UI redesigns that don't add any great new features but force me to learn new touch gestures and layouts every 6 months. For the love of god, why can't these fucking mobile devs make one simple touch interface and leave that shit alone while patching the OS underneath?

Attached: 1532281453270.jpg (600x801, 158K)

Would this be better its only a couple dollars more

amazon.com/Xiaomi-Unlocked-Global-Version-Warranty/dp/B079YJ5BKX/

>Google releases Android Pie
>this is the latest firmware for my Moto G5
Don't buy Moto phones, /spg/

Attached: Screenshot_20180807-080829.png (1080x1920, 117K)

Well it's has a SD625 which is quite a bit slower than the SD636 in the Note 5 and the cameras aren't as good either, but you get 1GB more RAM and double the storage. It's a close call but I'd lean towards the Note 5.

They actually do have the 4GB/64GB version of Note 5 on Amazon but it's a bit more expensive:
amazon.com/Xiaomi-Unlocked-Global-Version-Warranty/dp/B07D82MTZL

what the fuck is this and why does it show up every time i open the image album app

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-07-14-15-56.jpg (720x1280, 422K)

>phoneposters

Use a better gallery app.

Yeah I was looking and didn't realize it had a slower processor. They need to work on their naming conventions imo

Also about unlocking the bootloader do you really have to give them your phone number, ask for permission, and wait two weeks? Thats really dumb if thats true

what are you even doing itt

Can anyone recommend me a chink screen protector for the S9? Asked on /csg/ but no one gave me a (You).

(You)

Nilikin, not sure if chink

Are these deals any good?
$325 for an used Galaxy S7 Edge 1warranty
$230 for a refurbished LG G6 1warranty

It is. But I'm unsure about the compatibility with cases, mine is a Spigen Tough Armor.

Whats a good sub £250 phone? Only requirement is an ok battery.

Huh, had no idea this was a problem to be honest. Quick google recommends Tech21 though.

iPhone 6s A1688
64GB
$200
smash or pass?

I'm looking to get a really great travel phone and I'm looking towards the Mate 10 pro.

I'm worried about Chinese phones as it's been warned about their security and privacy, especially since the FBI warned about the usage of these phones and the back doors that are installed from the Chinese government

Should I pull the trigger or is there something similar that isn't Chinese?

Looking to buy a phone and I was thinking of buying a pixel 2 xl, but I heard it sucks ass now when it comes to performance and the pixel 3 is around the corner. Should I wait for the pixel 3 or buy a oneplus 6?

Yeah, I know, but I'm specifically looking for buying directly from chinks. But thanks.

You shouldn't buy a device which has an unlockable bootloader, Chinese or not. Also, what exactly constitutes a "travel phone"?

Can you give me a practical example of limitation if my Xiaomi smartphone only has 64GB storage, and no expandable SD card?

I would like to be talked away from buying the Mi8 or Mi6. The no-expansion policy seems fishy to me, but I need some real life scenarios.

Attached: thumb_66421_default_big.png (800x574, 160K)

>The no-expansion policy seems fishy to me, but I need some real life scenarios.
How about the OS itself taking internal space? Having to store both software and media in the same place, unlike media being separated and stored on an SD card?

My plan is to have a "public" phone and a private phone.

The private phone with also be my travel phone which to me is defined as a phone with a great battery for usage of gps, uber, lyft whatever and great specs so the phone won't slow down when swapping between apps. I'll be using false information and a paypal account with false information but I will gain a PayPal card to use as a credit card and increase the balance with prepaid cards. I'll also use simple mobile and pay only for months I'm going to travel for data.

Would you recommend against a non-expandable 6GB smartphone?

>6GB
*64GB

With a LOCKED BOOTLOADER*

Whoops I meant my public phone will have those details

Your first stop is Kimovil then. Narrow down your choices by checking which network bands are supported by carriers of the country you're traveling to.

What's the best option for a 3G pay as you go sim card in the US? Want to start using my blackberry bold 9930 again.

Definitely smash.. I own a 32gb 6s, bought it 2 months ago, couldnt be happier desu

Wasn't aware of this site, thanks

>Be me
>Have baught a Xiaomi Mix recently
>It's going to arrive today I hope
>Don't even have the smartphone yet and I'm anxious about breaking the screen...

Anyone knows about a good screen protector that covers the whole screen and isn't made out of cheap chink plastic?

It's so hard to find a good one for the original Xiaomi Mix since the Mix 2 is out...

Apps are rarely optimized to save in the SD card, so unless you rarely play games that take huge amounts of space having expandable storage won't matter. And if you are a heavy gamer then you should go for 128GB atleast, I filled up 30GB in a single day. If you are primarily a media focused user however then expandable storage would be better.

I checked the site and it looks like the asus zenfone 5z is what I'm looking for and it's not Chinese so I can have some peace of mind

Hmm thanks for that perspective.

I guess these days we stream our content more, rather than saving them to our device. So I guess this is why Xiaomi thought they could save a few cents by omitting the SD expansion.

Wo the fuck buys budget samsung phones like galaxy j?

Waiting for the Xiaomi Mi 8 global release for that chink iOS skin based on Android Pie. Hope it'll come out this month.

Whats the best smarthpone for my mom?
Budget - 300€
Uses - Camera, Space, WhatsApp

>OnePlus
>Xiaomi

Asus a shit. Get some balls and buy a good phone that doesn't cost 100 more than they should.

Vivo V9 looks neat

Xiaomi is Chinese right? I'm trying to get away from that

One plus is a decent idea though, but that oxygen os spying shit isn't keen to me. I'll see what has the best battery or something

>what are custom ROMs

shame as the g5 is a very decent phone but after i misplaced mine i swore i'd never buy another lenovo phone because of this shit but forgot and got the g6. that died after a week and i decided on the nokia 7 plus instead.

I don't that that would do anything with the Chinese phones but one plus phones? Yeah for sure.

I was going to get a one plus 6, but that asus phone had similar performance or something but lower cost

They're both Chinese you dingus, that's my point. Just check that the phone you're buying has a global ROM and you'll get your nice new phone for a 100 less than you would've get otherwise.

They will not work in Toronto and New York.
Don't buy Xiaomi in NA.

Ironically, both are Chinese and both have good custom ROM support. Also, Asus phones have locked bootloaders and who knows what undisclosed software backdoors.

Ah dammit, alright I may hop on the one plus train and change the os to lineage

The Mix 1 is so much prettier than the 2, Jesus... I'm regretting getting mine. Bezels are notably smaller on the phone you're getting.

OnePlus is safe band frequency wise, still check that it covers the bands for every carrier you might use.
Also don't bother unlocking your bootloader if it's just to switch to LineageOs. The One Plus ROM is close to stock Android Stock and is pretty much optimized for the phone.
Custom ROMs are just a nest of problems.

Mix 2 traded wow-factor for basic usability.

Redmi Note 5 or Nokia 6.1

I plan on using it as a travel phone, gps, google maps, lyft, uber, Google translate. Also I plan on using it under simple mobile which uses T-Mobile so I should be fine right?

Overall I do want to switch os because I don't like the oxyfen os spying

can someone give me list of newest midrange phones?

Don't get the protectors with glue only on The sides, those don't stick. Get a 9h hardness glass protector from Tauri if they have the model.
Or a flip case.

iPhone SE

You're wrong. Check the bands Mi Mix 2 / 2S come with, they're supported on pretty much every US / Canadian carrier, even on Verizon which pretty much no other chinkphone work with.

Yea it should do the trick. I saw some review of this phone from American and Europeans, it should have every band needed for world wide usage.

Great one plus 6 it is then.

Now I have to figure out what "private" phone I want. I was thinking pixel 2 xl but it's pretty long in the tooth and the 4gb of ram the pixel 3 is rumored to have isn't looking good. I might wait until lg shit because I know Samsung will never allow me to have lineage on it

>ASUS phones have locked bootloaders
Wrong.
asus.com/Phone/ZenFone-5Z-ZS620KL/HelpDesk_Download/
>Unlock Device App: Unlock boot loader(for Android O)

Not bad. Still very little to no custom ROM support for newer ones.

Chose a phone that looks good for your personal phone. Like the Xiaomi Mi Mix 2s if you don't care about selfie camera being shit.

I would but again, not keen to Chinese phone. My personal phone is going to be seriously locked down.

No gapps

Lineage os

VPN connection only

Android firewall, only whitelist specific apps

Someone has been vandalising the Adreno wikipedia page and removed the GFLOPS numbers for a number of the most recent SoCs.

Since the end of July.

Attached: 1235015646382.jpg (562x453, 93K)

As I told you above, OnePlus is Chinese too. And Xiaomi lets you do whatever you want with your phone.
But it was just a recommendation, just lurk on comparison sites a bit longer you'll find what you're looking for.

>not keen to Chinese phone
why not

do you have an actual reason or is it just retarded nationalism to keep (((jobs))) in your country

t. 李克强

Maybe he wants an SD card slot, and Xiaomi refuse to give him one in their "flagship" phones.

Nah nothing like that, I was just afraid of the cia and fbi recommendation to not use them, specifically huawei and zte. Xiaomi wasn't listed but it's warned from the Indian government or whatever. Oneplus isn't mentioned anywhere so I'm okay with that except for oxygen os which I plan to change.

For the travel phone, it looks like oneplus 6 is pretty good, my personal phone is something I'm going to have to wait on for a minute it seems and yes I'm going to scope more recommendation site. I appreciate the help!

>cia and fbi recommendation to not use them, specifically huawei and zte.
That means those brands are safe.
FBI can put you in the prison. China can't.

>Oneplus isn't mentioned anywhere
That means One is compromised.

But you've already been through this a few replies back. Both OnePlus and Xiaomi devices have good custom ROM support. You could've just checked XDA forums and avoided repeating yourself.

My apologies, I've been under the impression that the stuff I'm worried about regarding the Chinese devices was on the hardware level and changing the os wouldn't do anything, if this is not the case, then I'm fine.

I don't know anything anymore

>I don't know anything anymore
You should know already CIA is not serving your interests.
They exist to serve you drugs, and profit from the drug trade.
You soldiers are in Afghanistan right now to protect their Opium fields.

So if they are butthurt about Huawei, then Huawei is a safer bet.

Attached: 960x0.jpg (960x623, 114K)

If anything, you can rest assured the Chinese government has no interest in letting American agencies spy on their citizens. So buying a Chinese smartphone will lesson the risk for you.

If I was a westerner I could buy a Chinese phone.
And if I was Chinese, I would buy a western phone.'
And if I was Japanese....That one is a little bit more tricky. This is complicated since China actually pose a threat to the Japanese.

Gotcha, do you guys not care? It do you guys know more than I do about this subject?

Japanese just use iphones

What can Chinese gvt do with my data? As the other user said, if we were Chinese that would be worrying. I mean if they can somehow use the data to undermine western countries, I welcome their efforts.

god, Android Pee is the worst version of Android to date, with the split notification bar that you can't change, the lag, the shitty multitasking (one thing that Android always had over apple), the stupid gestures (lets you swipe the home button right to go back to the last app but misses an opportunity to implement a workspace like solution, where swiping the home button left and right would let you switch between apps as displayed in the multitasking view without going into that view, much like workspaces in desktop OSes)
Screenshot security feature is a real kick in the balls "taking screenshots isn't allowed by the app" my ass, what the fuck? Also that notification doesn't go away until you swipe it away, whaaat?
Also the fucking volume bar is on the side instead of the top, which is just an unnecessary change, if it ain't broke don't fix it dammit.
"At A Glance" still shits itself if you set it to Celsius or change any settings, it will revert back to the original settings after a while and only fixes itself when you tap on it.
The animations in multitasking take too long as well. I feel like i've suffered a performance hit but i am using a 2-year old phone so i guess that makes sense.
Also, Material Design 2.0 is a clusterfuck.

Now the good stuff:
I like the smart buttons in the app drawer, can be helpful although mostly for chats in apps like WhatsApp and radio stations in Apple Music/Play Music
I like how under the multitasking view there are icons of apps under the cards, i'm not entirely sure how it decides what apps go there, but if you can customize this, then it's a pretty good way of having a second app dock

Running a E4 plus beast of a phone

It wasn't the Chinese who did this:
gizmodo.com/trump-tower-caught-on-fire-1825083084

Assassinations is a CIA specialty,

Attached: 1292895.jpg (900x738, 101K)

Anyone using a Note 8? I am planning to get one after the Note 9 launch since I an expecting a price drop.
Is it worth the money ? Or should i just get a one plus 6 instead

KaiOS

I just bought a brand new xperia z3 compact for 95$ off ebay.
How badly did I fuck up?
All I do on my phone is text and clover and the small size is basically impossible to find in the current gen of phones.
I would have bought a Z5 compact but they're like double the price and I'm a cheap fuck.
I'm assuming the battery life is good since it only has a 720p screen?

Attached: 1533379749363.gif (540x360, 1.36M)

>I'm assuming the battery life is good since it only has a 720p screen?
That's usually the case. 720P is a huge battery saver.

Will there ever be a good qwerty phone again?

Aren't KeyOne/Key2 at least okay?

Specs on the keyone were outdated idk about key2
Neither can be rooted

Any news on sailfish os' new release

Is the Ulephone Power 5 any good?
I'm impressed by the battery size, but the processor is nothing I've ever heard of (Mediatek MT6763)

Ok Jow Forums I am getting hellin confused about to buy a phone tomorrow, should i buy a chink phone or not?

-I am gonna go to a very rainy place
-Not gonna have time for nerdy things probably.

So was thinking of buying the new mi a2 (due to android one, haven't got time to deal with custom rom bugs anymore for 5 years) but some people are saying they are chinkbots and not true people.

My budget is 300$ and don't worry about carriers or regional limits. Which phone should i buy?

an older gen xperia, they're waterproof

so chinks are out? I need th ephone to work for 3-4 years properly atleast, will only use it for moderate photos and apps.

Sorry if i sound a bit paranoid, my father suddenly dies due to liver infection, (operation failed), and so all family responsibilities are on me now and i haven't got much budget to spare.

>Ulefone
>Mediatek
Don't

>Mediatek
Those are poorfag-tier chipsets. Good for light everyday use with solid multitasking, but horrible at everything else. And you can't put custom ROMs on them so you depend on official support from Ulefone.

ok guys should i get huawei or xiamoi?