Tomorrow we will release @libreoffice 6.1, a significantly improved free office suite with a better UI...

twitter.com/italovignoli/status/1026757894501539843

>Tomorrow we will release @libreoffice 6.1, a significantly improved free office suite with a better UI, new image handling, new database engine, new help system, and new features for cloud version

Attached: LibreOffice_Logo_Flat.svg.png (1280x301, 32K)

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/italovignoli/status/1027105652928401408
lwn.net/Articles/637735/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice
libreoffice.org/download/download/
wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.1
dropbox.com/s/77r848yux6oof8g/20170826_tysontan_libbie_full.zip
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I never learned how to use the database software.

It's like Access, useless.

So an unnecessary extension to spreadsheets?

I don't need any of that shit, it works fine as it is.

>new features for cloud version
Don't want that shit, it can fuck right off.

Don't care for the cloud shit, but honestly who here can say that Libre office has had a proper and snappy UI ever.

I can't stand the fucking UI. No shit outside people thing freefags' shit are actually shit upon seen this UI.

>No shit outside people thing freefags' shit are actually shit upon seen this UI.
how is babby formed

Whata shit. Install office

everyone knows a random bird delivers it to your door

Even more useless than Access in my experience

I've never had a problem with Libreoffice's UI.

this is great news! libreoffice is awesome!
hopefully a nicer interface will convince more people to switch.
I think cloud version means an online version of openoffice like google docs or office360

Never forget.

Attached: 4f83a8951f0c9add26feb5807b9d558df7ef2b07727a3f3f7674e78d70d2371f.png (1280x1473, 412K)

It definitely needs better image handling. The image handling on the current version is shit, specially if you need to create a document with a lot of images and tables and graphs

I tried to use Calc for a somewhat large project. Ten or so tabs, a lot of calculations.

Jesus Christ what a frustrating experience. Excel is bad enough as it is, Calc just adds a layer of shit on top of all of that. After the absolute turd that is Gimp, Calc is probably the worst program ever made.

>using Libre Office for serious work

If i dont have money what should i do?

Money for ms office*
Fixd

Usually schools or businesses have a program where you can buy Office for like $10.

Or just pirate it and spend $0.

I guess i'm a materialcuck. But i think it'd look much more modern if they switch to flat icons and menus.

>>using Libre Office for serious work

I thought I'd give it a try, I thought that perhaps in 2018 it would be usable.

I got the project done, but I feel like it's held together by tape and hopes and prayers. And I'm sure the agonizing process of tricking that utter piece of shit into doing the things I wanted it to do and finding out how the fuck to do it in that absolute garbage pile of a program probably took a year off my life due to stress and rage.

If there is a Hell, they are using Calc down there.

That feel when you've worked on your assignment in open office, and have to convert it to .docx to hand it in and it was a mess.
got given a day to unfuck my formatting. Copied and pasted it into Google Docs, and exported it to docx, and it was perfect.

I tried using libreoffice. I ended up learning Latex instead.

why not use libreoffice? It is much better. Never had a problem converting to and from .doc(x)

Libreoffice is fine on my home computer because I don't make anything more complicated than budget spreadsheets, and write letters/journal/whatnot.

If you need MS Office for school/work, they will generally provide it to you for free, or at a deeply discounted price. My school has remote desktop that you can use with full office suite, or you can use MS Office Online, which is kind of stripped down but is fully compatible.

My work offers Office Pro for like $10.

Buy a license for Softmaker Office. Its cheaper. You can also a 30 day trial.

I have office 265 at work but I like to keep my private computing seperate from my work computing so I won't use it at home. Besides, Office 365 is a botnet and I don't want that shit on my private computers, especially when it's linked to my work sharepoint, onedrive, etc.

I could buy an older version of Office, though I don't think MS sells that any more?

Because I have a lot of important stuff on this machine I don't use pirated software on it, as most cracks are not open source so they could contain maleware etc.

365*

Try Softmaker Office 2018

Will it be able to read word and excel files properly?

You can buy office 2010 on eBay for like $30, should work fine with any files you're likely to come across.
The KMS activator for Windows/Office is clean, but I understand if you are wary.

Attached: libo.png (407x434, 116K)

Looks pretty nice to me

Attached: libreUI.png (1252x1439, 132K)

I'm hoping the cloud server will be open source and locally hostable?

Word. LO UI looks pretty good on Windows 8.1

Attached: aesthetic.png (1920x1160, 97K)

Just need to change some settings. The icon pack already exists in libreoffice.

Looks 100x better than stock.

Attached: librecalc ui.png (1244x1437, 141K)

Cool! Are they going to test it this time?
Calc shipped with some real howlers last major release I tried. The problem with Libre is that none of the devs actually use it in anger.

That's a nice setup, I prefer the default Office 2003-style icons though.

Good thing you can always choose not to update.

You sound like a Mac user

What issues did you have with cross-tab calculations, exactly? Because I have never had any with this in years of using LO. Whenever I am forced to use MSO I feel like killing myself because you can't find shit on the stupid (((ribbon))) and you can't even adjust its contents to the same degree as in LO.
These days I don't use Write anymore (replaced by LaTeX), just Calc for spreadsheets (including graphs and cross-tab calculations, no problems at all) and Impress for presentations. Sometimes Draw when I want to make vector flowcharts.

it's literally like viewing a database & It's columns and rows in excel and you can do queries on it

excel shouldn't have ever existed, should have just used access but since normies don't... access is useless

why such a major update when going from 6.06 to 6.1

twitter.com/italovignoli/status/1027105652928401408

>Still haven't released 6.1 despite today being release day

WTF is TDF even doing?

What's the current state of open office vs libre office anyway? In terms of how active development is and their relative marketshare to each other. I haven't heard anything about open office ever since the split.

Apache OpenOffice is DEAD

lwn.net/Articles/637735/

>As things stand now, it is hard not to conclude that LibreOffice has won the battle for developer participation.

Also Apache OpenOffice is stuck at 4.1.5 for months with no active development now while LibreOffice 6.1 is coming out today

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_OpenOffice

That would be amazing if true. I hope they have an option for it to work properly with ms' implementation of office standards

Have they gotten a new mascot yet did they scrap the entire thing?

*or did

the wait is over

libreoffice.org/download/download/

wiki.documentfoundation.org/ReleaseNotes/6.1

6.1 RELEASED, UPDATE NOW

nigga just buy office online its like $10.00

I thought this was a rolling distro

Attached: ach.png (263x110, 32K)

"Gno"

Fuck off, faggot

They haven't officially scrapped the contest, but they appear to have stopped talking about it. I doubt it's going to be brought up again.

Libbie will always be the mascot in our hearts:
dropbox.com/s/77r848yux6oof8g/20170826_tysontan_libbie_full.zip

Attached: 20170826_tysontan_libbie_001_color_008_impress.png (2644x2941, 485K)

6.1 is here