Somehow become known as the best browser, beating out corporate competition despite being an open source project

>somehow become known as the best browser, beating out corporate competition despite being an open source project
>10 years later no one is using the shit

what went wrong?

Attached: 6E882D3E-08DD-4F28-82DA-FC4B7D4C5F12.jpg (700x663, 66K)

I think they tried to add too many useless features in an attempt to remain relevant instead of just developing the best browser.

Political correctness is a hell of a drug.
Other than that: hubris, unfocused development, greedy leadership and innovation for innovation sake.

Garbage OOTB experience.

Attached: 1504897898769.png (450x346, 99K)

What people use in it's place? I don't want to use Chrome nor Edge...

aggressive marketing by google and mozilla being retards and throwing away their goodwill.

IceCat, QuteBrowser, Falkon, w3m, lynx, browsh

Chromium

When Chrome first came out, it blew FF out of the water in terms of performance. Then Chrome became ever more tightly integrate into the Google ecosystem, so people are locked into it.

Nowadays the performance difference between the two isn't nearly as noticeable, but people are reluctant to switch software.

Thanks

I still use it tho

This

Chrome offered a nice intergration with Google accounts. I think that's what did it.

I switched back to it when chrome had a bug with my favourites list for ages, I would try to scroll through the list and it would keep jumping back. I couldn't find any fixes.
whereas on my other computer you could always tell when firefox had updated itself because it lagged the fuck out while scrolling. so chrome got install on that.

People also tend to forget that when Chrome launched, it was incredibly lightweight and fast compared to the competition.
It was just so much faster than any other browser, so EVERYONE switched to Chrome.

open source software is getting better but only because proprietary software is getting worse on it's own. ubuntu and firefox or chromium is a hundred times better than windows10 and chrome or mac os and 'safari'.
closed operating systems are a joke man
a golden cage is still a cage

This. I also feel it was cool and hip at the time. So people installed it for everyone they knew.

>lightweight compared to the competition.
Still is.

Die Zukunft ist verchromt Brudi

>b-but muh autistic danish v8

far from it, safari is much, much lighter.

>inb4 applel memes
im a archfag

>im a archfag
Holy sent, the memes are real

Because it's tightly coupled to a single set of hardware, it can take advantage of power saving features not available on other systems.

>Google becomes a dominant search engine
>makes Chrome
>shills it on every web search you make
>pays people to be bundled with installers
Gee, I wonder why.

Safari isn't lighter, not to mention it isn't even Chrome's competition of 90% of desktop systems.

Chrome loads all open tabs into ram, while Firefox keeps unopened tabs in archive. Helps on old laptops lacking in memory, and battery life too.

reminder that safari is 'optimized' on mac os so it uses less cpu and battery while chrome and firefox are both battery hogs and cause the tiny little piece of shit case to heat up in five seconds

I still use it.

>because
so you accept that it is in fact lighter, tell that.

it is lighter, if you refuse that you're as delusional as a windows user.

Botnet.
Use Ungoogled-Chromium.

>I use arch btw
t. 15 year old arch ricer

Just did some testing on my own Mac and it is lighter in terms of hardware usage, my mistake.
Definitely doesn't change the
> it isn't even Chrome's competition of 90% of desktop systems.
though.

yep thats what op said

>holy father i want to confess
>i only use chrome for synchronisation so i don't have to remember my passwords and bookmarks

an advertising company advertised their browser :^)

I still use it because it has superior font rendering compared to Chrome.

The main reason I have Chrome installed is Youtube.

userjs userchrome.css
or palemoon if nonautist
good joke

Literally this

how do i use this

A better, faster open source project backed by Google beat it.

Search on google and download, its portable.

>what went wrong?
I begun using it when it branched off seamonkey to become a "fast lean browser" - unlike the seamonkey suite which includes a mail client, web page editor and I believe it also has IRC client.

It begun to go to shit when they slowly started adding useless features while removing the useful ones. Latest additions to Firefox are mostly spyware. Also, their homepage used to look like a software project. now it looks like some kind of sjw magazine. I guess this reflects the current state of Mozilla: it's become more about sjw bullshit and side-projects than making actual software.

Rust started borrowing(leaking) memory.

Just use Firefox, no point in being autistic.

Works on my PC ™

I originally started using Firefox partly because I was being shamed for using Internet Explorer 7 and 8, but mainly because I liked how customisable it was and the various useful add-ons that were available, especially adblockers.

Firefox 3 was nice, but it was slow, especially to launch. In ways I preferred IE and often used it instead. v4 was an improvement, and it was consistently decent up until around version 30.

v52 ESR is probably the worst browser I've ever used. It's way more bloated than v28, with a less customisable UI. Not to mention that it likes to randomly freeze (as if I just stopped operating it), which can be very annoying.

Right now Chrome is the best web browser, regardless of any malicious intent Google might have or had. The internet is obviously designed for Chrome, and everything else is just striving for compatibility. I've lost count of how many times a website introduced a shitty new layout, something didn't work in Pale Moon, and I've had to use Chrome instead.

I spent like 30-40 minutes and wrote a more powerful web browser in python.

And im new to python...why would anyone use a web browser made by somebody else? idiots

I don't gedd it, works on my Firefox too.

>use google to find ungoogled-chromium
that's actually a bit funny

Firefox was the best browser for Wikipedia vandalism back in the day. Open a bunch of tabs and get in 30+ edits before getting banned per sockpuppet

Me too.

I still use it, why shouldn't I? Is Chrome better?