/hsg/ - Home server general

Lets get comfy again edition.

--> Quick Questions Quick Replies Why would I want a NAS/Homeserver?
If you ask why then you don't need it.

>I want a NAS/HTPC/Plex what should I get?
RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.

>B-But muh ARM
Then check the onboard x86 like J4105B-ITX, J4205B-ITX or J4205-ITX. All of them have SATA and USB 3.

>What's the best [software] for doing [ask]?
Specify you question and elaborate. If you want help put something from your side.

>Which disk is better for my homeserver?
The general opinion minus some details are that WD Greens are enough if you deactivate parkdrive, and WD Red are Green overpriced. Also Toshiba and HGST are pretty good.

---> FAQ & Tips Chat News

Attached: wallhaven-454354.jpg (5472x3648, 3.18M)

Other urls found in this thread:

natex.us/CHEN4USTORAGE/
natex.us/1u-chenbro-rm13704-foxconn-t2491601-motherboard/
youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Changelog

Readded the non ARM alternatives to the paste. Who the fuck would remove it?
Updated news
Added the Chat section

I won't tripfagging anytime soon since a lot of people cried about it.

Radarr fag on docker
Did you solve the folder problem? I may be able to help

> RPi3 or Odroid XU4/HC1. Odroid upper models has USB 3 and USB bus separated from the Ethernet one.
Odroid vs Orange Pi?

Also would buying a case and PSU to hold a spare i5-4670k and 16gb ddr3 be worth it in terms of performance over a $40 sbc, or is a pi3/equivalent good enough for a NAS already?

Pi is not worth for Nas, only if you want very low power usage and would use not more than 2 HDD and is fine with only 10mbp/s transfer.

I would use the i5

Can anybody recommend me a tower case with hot swappable drivable bays? I don't mind buying used or an oem case as long as it fits a regular atx board without too much issue

I kinda wanna build a router, but when thinking about it, I'm not actually sure why. Hosts based (ad)blocking is nice, but I can literally just install pihole. Shill me some advantages of having your own router.
I'm using my ISP's one right now

Ironwolf vs RED?

Attached: help.jpg (1080x1442, 337K)

nice OP. no negativity.

natex.us/CHEN4USTORAGE/
>4u LFF 24bay Storage Server,
>dual e5-2650 xeons
>16x DIMM Slots
>2xLP/1xHP 8x PCIe Slot
$275

Attached: 24TBFreeNAS-2__68098.1499794637.1280.1280__23321.1502997441.1280.1280.jpg (993x677, 104K)

natex.us/1u-chenbro-rm13704-foxconn-t2491601-motherboard/
>1u
>dual lga2011
$80

Attached: FoxconnT2491601-6__07953.1483559646.1280.1280.jpg (1200x900, 639K)

Looking for advice on setting up a DNS/routing table whitelist. I currently have an old HP microserver running server 2012r2. I want to leverage that to make my kids' laptops more kid friendly. I want to take a less "helicopter parent" approach while still having control.

Been trying to find a RAID card that does not have proprietary blobs. Any suggestions?

Attached: index.png (225x225, 6K)

That's a really interesting link. I might add it on pasta for next thread.

Saving.

I'm interested too

youtube.com/watch?v=9Yw5jkAHgME

I'm interested in getting a half height GPU for my little compute server, should I be getting a 'workstation' card or just a regular consumer GPU? It will need to be running for 20+ hours sometimes so it sounds like that is the usecase for workstation cards. Or should I just get whatever is the most cost effective?

Jow Forums meme points

But in practical benefits

Besides normies being normies, is there an actual argument in favour of buying a 300€ NAS against an old server from ebay for half that price? At least here, the electricity would need over a year to make the price even.

Attached: abko.jpg (860x1154, 537K)

Old servers are more modular and more fun.

Get whatever is most effective. The difference between workstation and consumer is the drivers

That's not what I was asking for, but I appreciate that point.

Pic related is my server.
>Intel Pentium Haswell dual core
>8GB DDR3-1600MHz ECC
>Supermicro server mATX board
>2x 1TB WD Blue Mirror Array
>2x 2TB (HGST and Seagate Barracuda) in mirror Array
>2x 4TB Toshiba X300 series in mirror array
>Single seagate 8TB ironwolf NAS as dedicated backup for all my arrays
>250GB Samsung 850 EVO as boot

Upgrades planned
>Seasonic 850 Gold rated power supply for the 10x SATA power plugs
>2x Seagate Ironwolf 8TB drives to create another mirror array to backup to my existing 8TB disk
>another 4TB X300 disk to use as backup for the 4TB array I have
>retire my 2x 2TB and 2x 1TB drives.

any criticisms? I also got rid of the 4 port SATA card in the pic. It's replaced by an LSI dual SAS port card.

Attached: Server-Guts.jpg (4850x3456, 2.53M)

I have a tiny one bed apartment, i don't really have the space for anything larger than an appliance type NAS or a ITX build. Currently my NAS is with the router. which is behind the TV.

Was going to make a thread for this but I guess it belongs here.
I'll be getting another 4x6TB drives to add to my current 3x5. Would rather get same size but drive bays are limited so going for most storage density/price.

Anyways, I want to set up some sort of failure tolerance while keeping as much storage space usable as possible. Don't want to bother with full RAID, has anyone had any experience using SnapRAID? Or has any suggestions?

That's actually a good argument. Admittly I don't have room for a TV, as that would be space is occupied by my rack and another shelf.

Nice setup, I like the simplicity. Good storage redundancy too. My only suggestion would be to make sure you have some kind of external backup that you can keep in a safe place offsite. What OS do you run on it?

>OS
Honestly? Windows 7. I use the built in remote desktop to control the server and change things as needed. I originally used Linux Ubuntu but my clients kept having issues connecting to the Samba share so I transferred over to a standard Windows based share.
>External backup
Yea I have a dual 2.5" HDD enclosure with 2x 500GB WD Black drives in it in JBOD for anything important to me.

>Any criticisms?
Is it running Gentoo?

Have you considered a hypervisor like ESXi or unRAID? Then you can get the best of both Windows and Linux at the same time. I personally use ESXi and I like having the option spin up a whole new server any time.

Not him, but what hardware do you run? Curious as to how it handles ESXi, especially the CPU.

maybe one day
I was looking at ESXi but I feel like my current CPU/RAM combo isn't sufficient for it. I'm waiting for EPYC or Threadripper pricing and I intend to build a high end server. If Ryzen properly support ECC I'd get an R7-1700 and undervolt it but of course it's not that easy.

We bump limit now /hsg/, all that good stuff and no bixnood fagget showing up.

Proud.

Attached: 1503237946942.gif (219x186, 1.76M)

Thanks comfyOP, we appreciate you.

gonna need more infor for that

If you are just using is a file storage/media streaming/low traffic website/meme folder backup. either board would be good, i would get the xu4.

If you wanna do anything else, more drives, virtulisation, plex transcoding, wangblows use the i5. Tailor it to your needs.

Bargain.. does it come with all the hot swap caddies or are they blank?

how many do you need? you can buy hotswap cages that you fit in 5.25 drive bays

I'm doing this project right now. One of biggest things for me is getting my home network on 10gig without having to spend 400+ on a switch.

From a feature point of view, there's not really that much difference, you can run snort, vlanning, squid and have better performance with a BYO but most home routers are pretty capable. My ISP's router even has some decent QoS, VLAN and LAG support out the box.

Something else to consider is security/privacy, but that's up to you.

What file system do you use on the storage?

It's really just the support, warranty and ease of use. most prebuilt NAS boxes are retard proof.

Power and noise is another one, depends on what you compare it against though

Go raid 5/6 and use your SSD as a cache, what OS are you running?

What kinda stuff are you using it for, just storage?

Yeah I'm aware but I'd rather buy something that was like that from the factory, its a matter of preference really, I just don't like the way most modern cases look so that's why I'd rather put my hardware in something like a 4u case I don't get why aren't there any case manufacturers making an industrial looking case instead of all this gayming shit

Attached: 1523988849029.jpg (720x767, 35K)

Not him but I've run exsi, hyperv, xen\xcp-ng and they are all pretty much equal in CPU performance. there is some noticeable difference in memory management and how it passes though hardware, and the networking side of things.
You can run it on a dual core machine right up to 4s configs without issue.
It depends on how many VM's you run and what you are doing with them. if you are just running a singke OS then there's no point in changing what you're doing. Maybe scale down to loonix or freenas if it's just for file services.

Windows, so NTFS. Not the best but I keep multiple backups
>RAID 5/6
Why? Mirror provides better availability imo. Not to mention rebuilding an array with 6TB+ disks would take forever.
>SSD as cache
Why?
>Just storage?
Yea. I have a very large physical media collection. I rip all my music into .FLAC, my movies into .MKV and encode my own stuff and put it on my server.

does it need to be tower? rosewill have a lot of cases that are cheap and have a lot of hotswap drives. fits all atx sized stuff in it, the rsv line if i remember correctly.

I was gonna convert my old laptop into a NAS but realised it has an i7 and therefore can't use ECC ram. Am I boned? Should I just get a used server instead?
How crucial is ECC for a NAS if you use raid?

>show picture of server hardware
>go to recommend people use pi's and other stupid fucking soc's

Attached: 1298527151028.jpg (627x627, 25K)

with raid 5/6 you get more effective storage capacity. with the same 1 drive redundancy.
SSD cache = why not? it's not like you need it for the wangblows OS

Do you rip & encode directly on this server, or encode on your desktop and them move it?

Holy shit do some fucking research jesus christ you are the definition of a fucking spoon fed child, this concept is obviously not for you

All those drives in ntfs? wonder why you didn't go the FreeNAS or OMV route for all that stuff...you could have ext4 at least

>crying because people don't use OTT enterprise hardware for their simple file server.

Is that you bixnigger?

Attached: 1527846066075.jpg (1095x662, 126K)

I too wish I could get 8MB/sec from my file storage, thanks /hsg/!

home server... - was thinking of using a rasp pi zero maybe to host a simple website...
good idea? bad idea?

ok. so i got my website designed. and it is manifested as a folder full of .html file on my pc.

now... now do i make it "online"?
1) can i just buy a domain and host it on my pc (And if so, what phrase do i need to google to learn the details of this?)
2) considering how small all this is (all image assets are dynamic links to imgur) pure html files... what is the most cost effective hosting option? with custom domain? and how do i put my files "on-the-line"?

Attached: otl.gif (500x257, 703K)

>Oh boy, got my 40gb FC connection live.
>Let's enjoy this 2MB/s anime stream to drown out the noise of this 400w, 1u mach4 server in my living room

I would suggest against so many "backup" disks in the same machine they're backing up from. Sure, it can guard against certain issues and user fuckups but by having your backups in the same box as the data drives you're exposing them to a lot of the same danger too. If there's some hardware fuckup which pretty much takes out the entire machine (catastrophic PSU failure, let's say) then your backup is useless. Similarly a bad enough software fuckup can nuke everything too. I'd keep backup in a separate place, as isolated as possible, ideally even offline.

raspi for simple home server - good idea
Set up apache or your favourite http server
Make sure you can access it locally from another machine and it all looks good
Go buy a domain, in the CP point it to your own IP address
Open port 80 on your router and point it towards your raspi's IP address.
done

Things to consider
Make sure it's secure, if it's not your LAN will be on the net. Look at isolating it from the rest of your network
change your PI's default credentials and set your www folder permissions correctly
Dynamic IP address? Use freedns.afraid and set up an update cron job
Try not run anything else on the raspiyou are not willing to update regularly ie sql/mail/wordpress

can someone pls make a sticky so i dont have to ask awful questions?
i'm trying to host a bunch of media on a server facing the internet but don't know how. google drive sucks

>freedns.afraid
sweet tip, thanks, bro
new info for me
reading now...

I know what raid 5/6 is and what it does. But I would still have a dedicated backup drive for the array. I assume it is nice however to have 4 copies of the same data. Parity is nice. Those rebuild times though.
>Why not?
Yeah true enough I suppose.
>Rip and encode directly?
No I do all the ripping and encoding on my main PC with a much better processor in it. Then transfer then over the network to the server
Oh fuck off you whiny cunt. I know what he's talking about, I was simply asking why that user recommends those things vs what I have. Does he have personal experience with that setup? Is it worth the hassle for me?

Jesus you're such a loser calm down.
Yeah. When I started the server it was just a single 1TB drive with no redundancy and I defaulted to using NTFS. As I added drives and more data, I always intended to make the switch to a different file system, just never had the chance to sit down, swap all my data over, reformat the drives, and swap back. Now I have near 7TB of data so it'd be even more a hassle.

I'm probably gonna setup FreeNAS or ESXi though (provided the CPU is powerful enough). That or just switch the hard drives to ext4 and leave it alone.

easiest and fastest way to do this
>install web server e.g. apache (windows or linux)
>put files in web server html folder (wherever the default is)
>forward port 80 on your modem/router
tada now people can connect with HTTP to your public IP and download any of those files

>Costs $275
>Costs another $225 for the hard drive caddies
WHY IS THIS ALLOWED

Attached: mad.png (600x895, 779K)

If you're ripping from your main PC I would consider a 10gbe P2P if you are itching for an upgrade and happy with your storage setup then, or switching over to Freenas would be a nice weekend project too. Set up sync thing for your desktop backups and PMS for streaming media too.

Also ignore him, he's a salty faggot that gets constantly BTFO'd in these threads.

Im on the same boat, TiBs end up escalating but I moved my Movies/Tv shows to two 4tb ext4, using OMV currently but I'm not sure I'll stick with it for long.
Hardware won't support ESXi nor FreeNAS, sadly

Yeah, I don't need or have the space for e-atx support so I'd rather stick to an atx mid/full sized tower.

Whats a good server for something beefy to run plenty of VMs?
Also, AMD or used Xeons?

>AMD
If you aren't paying for the electricity

Any good servers for virtualization for

Yeah I was considering a 10 gigabit card and line from main PC to another. But eh. I transfer at most, around 300GB worth of stuff at a clip. I can wait the amount of time it takes to transfer. Besides, I'd be limited by my disk speeds. I'm seriously considering FreeNAS as I have the minimum required 8GB of ECC and an LSI HBA so I'd be on their support list. That and their ZFS seems nice.
>Sync thing
I've heard of this. Would you recommend it? How is it to setup? Painless or complicated? I think my only real concern is how to remote into my server once it's running FreeNAS.
>Hardware support
Yeah that sucks. My baby Pentium seems to be holding it's own. I'm really hoping that it's enough to handle FreeNAS. I'm probably going to go balls deep with the tax return this year and just invest in a beefed up, fuck off EPYC based server.
Depends on your price range. Brand New? Threadripper and EPYC both support ECC and have a shit load of threads. If you don't care about ECC, you could always build a ryzen based PC. R7-1700 is 8c16t at 65w.

Technically on paper ryzen supports ECC, but it doesn't work right. 1 bit errors are logged and corrected, but 2 bit errors don't crash the PC like it's supposed to. The PC just stays on.
R7-1700 and underclock / undervolt it. My buddy managed to get his 1700 to cap out at 42w usage with all threads maxing at 2.9GHz.

>R7-1700
Is it easy to get ECC memory working on these? My Microserver reported 2 correctable errors this year. I have a 2400G or something, and 2 2700X.

Never understood that tax return thing, I'm not from US, here things cost as much as..uhm a 4TB drive costs 1/3 of the minimum wage, roughly.
Never used FreeNAS but you need 1Gb of RAM per TB of storage, because of ZFS. OMV uses less resources and gos well with semi old hardware, currently I have a Phenom x250 4GB RAM and runs smoothly

most tower cases these days are just getting rid of drive bays. Silvestone still has a good few ones, check out the CS380B DS380B

Also, I know you want Jow Forums points for having hot swap, but it's okay to have them screwed in.

>Easy to get working
Well I mean it's as simple as plugging ECC capable DIMMs into your mother and seeing if it boots. However this doesn't necessarily mean ECC is actually doing it's job. And as I mentioned before, I'm not sure if ryzen officially supports and can take proper advantage of ECC unlike threadripper and EPYC
>1GB per TB
Yes they recommend that but you can get by with just 8GB they say on their site
>Tax return
Well basically the government taxes us on our hourly wage, property, etc. They use this money as governments are known to do, and make interest on it. Every year you file your taxes and provided you have yourself set up right, you get a return. Basically the government cuts you a check if they see you paid in excess (which unless you set up your taxes so you pay no taxes at all, you always overpay).

I usually get a check for around $3k a year.

>EPYC
Is embedded epyc a thing yet? I wish the shitty Microserver had an Epyc instead of whatever dogshit CPU they put in it.

Nah no embedded EPYC yet. Just the big dick, 2big4u chips. Although I could totally see AMD launching a super low clocked 64 core EPYC chip when they roll out their 7nm line.
>Tfw a 64c128t processor that uses sub 200w may be a reality in our life time
What a time to be alive.

ayymd 1700 for bang for buck, xeons if you want "just werks" compatibility.

Is it the gen8? Put the 1265 in there.
Or you can go asrock deskmini if you dont; need a lot of storage/ecc and put 7700k in it

1700 is easy to get working with ecc, just check the dims are on the mobo's QVL list. the 2400g doesn have any confirmed support for ecc from any of the mobo manufacturers.

I plan on getting rid of my rack servers and replacing them with regular desktops and laptops I have lying around. Like they're old as fuck, loud, and guzzle electricity like nobody's business
Not to mention they're outperformed by the desktops I'm going to be replacing them with

My question is what's the best way to go around building shelves for them to fit in my rack?

Attached: IMG_20171026_180803.jpg (1536x2048, 1.05M)

That cs380b is just what I was looking for, thanks, and I have a need for hot swappable bays, well not need, it's more of a commodity since I've got my server stuck between my desk and the wall(I haven't got much space left so I have to make most of it) and I like having offline backups

Attached: 1491224843207.png (650x750, 1.87M)

>Is it the gen8?
Gen 10.

That's weird. Here in Argentina we pay taxes for everything, even food has a 21% tax and no refund at all, no siree.

Do you access your server from outside or just local? how about security patches? given you have W7..

Anyone have any experience with off brand RAM from eBay? I know its just Chinese crap, but could you expect to at least get a year off use from it?

>gen10
le cringerino
Too late to send it back?

>tfw bought a g1610t gen8 for £190 and got a £75 rebate
>smuganimeface.jpg

Attached: 1530722911896.gif (380x285, 1.97M)

if you're just buying a few sticks, go for it. is it actually chinese NAND?

>21% tax
Jesus fuck that sounds terrible. Then again our taxes are broke down differently. The federal government taxes us probably around 18-23% off the top. Then each state has a different tax rate as well ranging from 3% to as high as 10%.
>Outside or local
Local only for now. I want to setup own cloud soon, but in kind of in limbo at the moment. Don't know if I want to do FreeNAS, or just use Linux and manually partition my drives as ZFS. I'd also have to setup plex on some sort of device to stream to my living room TV. My server is also acting as the HTPC for the living room. As far as security,yeah I know I'm taking risks.

How are speeds when streaming from ZFS/FreeNAS? Would I suffer from a lot of buffering if I were to try and stream movies via plex over WiFi to like a Chromecast device?

>Too late to send it back?
It's fine as a ZFS server, it just doesn't have enough cores or speed to use as a dev server.

Anyone worked with one of these bad boys?

How loud are they? I am putting it in my room, so I don't want something so loud that its distracting from everything else I do.

Attached: s-l1600.png (1600x1200, 885K)

Yeah, taxes are ludicrous in every way, half the year you work just to pay them.

>
How are speeds when streaming from ZFS/FreeNAS?
You might, but it depends how many devices have access to media at the same time and if it's 1080p 10bit animu or just a TV show in SD quality and your WiFi speed. I, for one, don't like WiFi for transmitting anything and use my main rig connected to the TV, but you could try with a Rpi or similar SBC with kodi support. Then again, I go the caveman way, server on the side, main rig hooked to the TV as a monitor and set a VLC playlist.
>I want to setup own cloud soon
Try it on a vm, both FreeNAS and OMV, OMV has Docker support and OwnCloud works pretty good.

if it's too loud just replace the fans, they aren't spec'd to be quiet

>Would I suffer from a lot of buffering if I were to try and stream movies via plex over WiFi
WiFi would be the bottleneck here. The NAS OS and FS would be irrelevant.

Runs on a HP N40L. Acts as a "cold" backup of everything. If my primary server should fail, all I gotta do is just turn it on. Got another N40L that's got all my "archived" stuff on it. It runs freenas also. Then to make double sure my data survives, if all 4 boxes should go, I still got a Nas device (powered off) that has everything on it as well. Primary server is a Server 2012 R2 box w/ReFS volumes. It also runs my media server,FTP server and handles my Client Backups (via Windows Home Server 2011 as VM). Everything is connected to a UPS. Got a External USB HDD with a complete system image of the Primary server so I can restore it, along with the VM if need be.

Attached: Freenas Screen 8718.jpg (1440x900, 259K)

>buying random old shit off ebay without doing a TCO analysis

Attached: g in a nutshell.png (1890x1630, 725K)

Sort of - I realised I had specified the wrong directory for the volume in my docker compose file, so radarr wasn't able to see the location basically. Now I just need to sort the download location and get it to automatically move and rename the folders to my media location, so we'll see how that goes

What where you going to suggest anyway?

To try to use the -v parameter while creating the docker container.
The autodownload and move shouldn't be difficult. What torrent client are you using?

Server grade HDDs for home servers are a meme unless you're foolishly using dumb hardware RAID arrays which expect TLER.

MDRAID/GEOM/ZFS/BTRFS used on Linux/BSD as well as QNAP/Synology boxes built on that tech don't need it.

>ZFS/BTRFS as well
wat

Is there something like rpi or odroid with 4gb, 8gb or 16gb ram? looking a device for mysql server with low bandwidth or full bandwidth once a week use case

Attached: 4X1QB5V.jpg (640x576, 31K)

Most high end SBCs are $100+ so expect to spend maybe $150 at least. At that price point you're better off looking for used workstations or something, you can get a decent i5 with 8gb probably.

I'm looking to build a lower spec home server, it's going to be used as a file server, seedbox, etc.
I don't need anything too crazy for CPU or RAM, I'm mostly interested in getting at least 6 SATA ports and drive bays. Other than that, trying to keep things as cheap as possible.
At first glance, the poweredge R710 or a similar LGA1366 system looks like a good deal, but after accounting for power usage it sounds like building a Ryzen system is a better deal after a little over one year of idle power usage, assuming $0.11/kW. Is there anything I'm missing?

Poweredge R710 for $132 with 2x E5640, passmark 8800, idle power usage 160W, load power usage 220W
vs.
Barebones ryzen system for ~$300 with an R3 2200G, passmark 7300, idle power usage 30W, load power usage 100W

USB 3.0 or eSATA? My enclosure has both, currently running on USB, but I want it more stable and not interfering/being interfered by other stuff on the bus. Having it recognized as system drive (don't mean boot) rather than USB external is a nice bonus. Speeds are lower priority. I'd need to buy eSATA card with multiplexer(?) though. RAID is hardware inside enclosure so that's not an issue.
Worth it? Never used eSATA before so don't really know how well it works.