/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: Headphones.jpg (1920x1200, 486K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=GMXYig-PizQ
youtu.be/ES8FQQE-WDE
youtu.be/SdJcLhS1YWQ
youtu.be/OXsEH0Jwa5c
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Fuck Sennheiser

Sennheiser are God's.

Attached: 5645+6.png (1655x603, 50K)

It's just not fair.

KOSS PRO4AA are some of the worst headphones ever made. Do not buy them.

WILLIAM THE SON OF SCHIIT SHILL HAS BEEN CURSED

BUY SCHIIT

Attached: deruntermensch.jpg (613x595, 352K)

Oh boy. It seems Sennheiser sells directly in EU and it even includes taxes. Any reason not to buy directly from them?

Attached: VE MONK PLUS.jpg (800x800, 131K)

Nevermind. Seems some of the classic models are actually more expensive from their store.

sennheiser make exactly one good headphone for the money: the hd600 series (and only if you don't pay msrp)

literally every other product they make is garbage (hd5 or any of their gamergear) or way overpriced (hd800 series which should cost $500)

Sorry man, You'd have taken it if you had the chance.

I wouldn't. The only reason I did this time was because they released a glitch code that allowed me to get the HD 800 S' for 80% off.

wtf i want some k271 now

Hifiman HE-400S for 200 bucks.
Yay or nay?

Attached: 1391766446510.jpg (566x587, 149K)

Too bad the worst headphones there (KOSS PRO4AA) are listening to such a good album.

Attached: R-1285410-1399278027-8414.jpeg.jpg (600x593, 69K)

I only listen to 16/44, what DAC should I get?

Topping d-50 cause thats what I ordered

Hey /hpg/uys, my girlfriend's birthday is coming up and i want to get her her first real audio set up. We play PC games and listen to music a lot. I want to get her closed over ear headphones, a DAC with virtual surround sound and an attachable mic. My budget is about $250 for the whole shebang. Any recommendations? Shes not an audiophile by any means but she has been using a shitty $50 gayman headset for months now so I want her to experience good audio. Thanks in advance.

Just get hd600 first
$250 doesn't get you far for all you want. Don't blow it on a bunch of halfassery and get the most important thing first

Girls don't care about audiophile gear.

I understand that. I said she isn't an audiophile. The point is to give her a good (not great) listening experience.
Those are opened back? Im looking for closed. I understand your sentiment and while I would agree if I we're buying for myself but she probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between $300 and $70 headphones.

We're both students so I am just going for an incremental upgrade that is satisfactory for a couple of years.

Unrelated request: Does anyone have a printable calendar of all the anime headphone girls?

Actually if you have high res pics can you gib link and I'll make the calendar myself.

just get the ath-m40x then

V-Moda M100 + XL Pads.
V-Moda Boompro Mic.
No amp or dac required. Normies usually like It very much for music and works great for gaming.
Use software for the surround effect.

>Budget
Up to $250
>Source
Computer
>Type of headphone
Over ear
>Open or closed
Doesn't matter
>Comfort level
Very comfy
>Sound signature
Detailed, no bass boost
>Past headphones
Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro

I consider the DT770 very comfy and the new ones should be equally comfy.
What do you think about the 880?

If you like how the DT770 sounds you will love the DT880, it's closer to neutral, has better stage and the same comfort.

Attached: 1464122416354.gif (720x720, 631K)

>Budget: Around $75
>Location: USA
>Source: Iphone/phone
>Type of headphone: earbuds
>Open or closed: noise isolating would be nice but I’ll take recommendations for both
>Comfort level: comfy
>Sound signature: Neutral or slight bass
>Past headphones: Apple earpods

Important notes: I need something that won’t fall out of my ear easy, if they are slight bass I want it to sound clear as well as the other higher frequencies, and I’ll be using these in a dirty work enviorment though I keep my hands clean enough to handle them, durability and ruggedness should not be neglected.

Binaural recording (Chesky) is so good. Listen to this recording:

youtube.com/watch?v=GMXYig-PizQ

Attached: Untitled.png (1287x674, 803K)

Grado SR125e

Judge it yourself:
youtu.be/ES8FQQE-WDE

>youtube

Attached: A138E04F-C1AE-40E5-B46E-38BDC3A7F787.gif (242x270, 1.34M)

Is the HD 660 the new reference?

Not really:
youtu.be/SdJcLhS1YWQ

that's a cute portrait wallpaper

disliked, reported, and blocked. tyvm.

This demo shit is just too far. Especially the comments.

If I invest in decent headphones, do I need to buy DAC, AMP, soundcard, whatever or that's just audiophile snake oil?

These worth it?

Attached: 4090436_1.jpg (992x558, 102K)

>that's just audiophile snake oil

Daily reminder that 192kbps MP3 is transparent.

Attached: 1533669495795.jpg (190x239, 18K)

Daily reminder that balanced offers no benefit over single ended

Attached: download (3).jpg (303x166, 4K)

Status CB-1 + plus a boom pro. Surround sound is a meme, but do it with software if she insists.

If you've got the 770's, the HD600's complement them well. Almost as comfy once the clamp loosens, and they have a different sound signature.

>listening to these on 7 dollar earbuds
I'm not really sure what the hell I think I'm accomplishing

Attached: 1533169451678.jpg (9999x9999, 1.55M)

Rate my portable setup

Attached: a2mnVE5SrSrotRpnvSYG_PortableRigTokyo.jpg (1024x683, 225K)

what are some good $50-100 IEMs?
asking for a friend. I don't care about iems, which is also why I won't bother with the form

etymotic

not until like after 25ft length. at which point you need to seriously reconsider your setup.

ja, bra.
idk. how much are they?

euro-trash here, what's ur setup like user?

Attached: bing85.jpg (1366x768, 91K)

I don't understand what the point of these "sound demos" is.

There is no difference between 192kbps and 320kbps, it's placebo. They sound exactly the same on my $60 Logitech speakers.

there's no difference between vbr 2 and flac on my rha earbuds on my oneplus 3t.

CAL! are better than m40x.

the point is to make more money on retarded viewers of this bullshit

I can hear HD600 veil, so there is a point.

Depends if they are high impedence. You'll need an amp at that point. Or, if the on-board dac/amp has errors. Other than that, you probably won't notice it.

Based good boyfriend user

Get her some comfy ones

like hd1s?

consider getting her a momentum 2
the premium build quality will make a great impression as a gift
it has a small mic and the sound is the last step before snake oil and diminishing returns

are momentum 2 better than hd1?
also i'd say get the hide pads. those are baaaaaaaae. i'd get some as /fa/fones

Do people really think listening to a recording of a recording bring played back on headphones you're not wearing is the same as trying the headphones yourself?

HD1 is the US name for the momentum 2 as far as I'm aware
someone else had the rights for it

sometimes you can hear flaws if you have really good headphones. like if you have very analytical headphones you can tell if some shit is just messed up.
desu for 175 for the ios version i'm very very tempted to get a pair used on amazon. i tried some at fry's and they at least looked and felt immaculate, sound demo aside which was acceptable at the very least.

So good headphones/speakers and I'm set?

I would think YouTube's compression has more to do with that than anything

they're pretty lively for sennheiser headphones
I have the first version (and small ears) and they're the pair I keep coming back to when looking for fun

Yes, even very nice headphones that benefit from an amp will sound good without one.

Amps can help but it is not strictly necessary unless you have something with like 250ohm impedance.

i want fidelio x2s for funfones, but hd1s look great for the price at least.
yeah but between demos you hear different sounds from different headphones. not defending it or anything but i've not purchased a few after hearing a demo on analytical headphones and noticing what the reviewer heard in the headphones when he wore them.

What do you consider high impedance? Because a run-of-the-mill Realtek codec will happily drive 300 ohm headphones to deafening volumes.

Yes. After doing a bunch of research on this, evidence says any DAC is now so good as to be indistinguishable from anything else for sound, amps just make things louder so get one if it’s too quiet (it won’t be), and sound cards don’t pass muster in ABX tests.

>look at headphone listing
>all photos blurry as shit
Wew

>Because a run-of-the-mill Realtek codec will happily drive 300 ohm headphones to deafening volumes.
Not every. Onboard audio on my laptop was not enough for HD650 while PC with cheap motherboard has no problem driving them.
> amps just make things louder so get one if it’s too quiet
This is not completely true. Output impedance is still high on motherboards and can result in audible changes in frequecny response on some headphones.
Also while my motherboard has no problem with driving HD650, it has EMI problems so that's another reason to buy a soundcard or an external amp/dac.

Attached: Sennheiser_HD%20599_Center_-_-_HDM-X_-_24_20-20k_-_fr_amp_flat[1].png (620x369, 124K)

Beautiful.

what listen to you on your foneheads my boios
youtu.be/OXsEH0Jwa5c

I get a lot of harmonic distortion the onboard amp at higher volumes. External does sound better in my case.

Is that nigger double amping?

i cant even tell. it looks like a filter stack to me lol

Excellent OP.

Based Zeos removes the need to go to hifi stores for demo sessions, now you can do it at your own home.

Just get her Grado SR60e, it will sound better than anything she has heard before.

The guy is a retard. Look how he painted his hd600s, that's the mentality of a 13yo. Also I sat here going back and forth between my SHP9500S and hd600 after seeing his review and he's full of shit. The SHP9500S don't do nearly as well as the 600s soundwise although they are comfortable and not BAD sounding, but boy are they thin in comparison.

>based Zeos
More like lame audio-goblin.

Attached: B5C1E971-89E7-48E5-86D2-15D2FEA20A48.jpg (531x597, 41K)

Can you believe that people actually send their headphones to that greasy fuck just so that he can manhandle them and then ramble about the experience?

This is a troll post don't listen to him

Jow Forums what do you think of these without automatically shitting on it cause it's bose

Attached: file.png (800x533, 200K)

>i want fidelio x2s for funfones
Don't do this user.

>$300 wireless neck worn speaker
You tell me

I dunno. They sounded good. I know, I thought the same thing. I wasn't sure how I felt about it but I'm willing to give them a go. I have tinnitus and would like something like this where my ears aren't ringing. Do more of these exist?

They're closer than you'd expect, some EQ really helps the SHP's.
They were what got me into this audiophile madness.

If you like it, buy it. That's just my opinion

Attached: bose.jpg (1230x1300, 379K)

There wasn't much to go on with what you said. Just a price.

:thinking:
I like you user

I switched back and forth between them with one hooked to the dac that ran into amp and the other in the amp, and switched them, and continued listening to each on different tracks and although the difference wasn't immediately noticeable after a while it was very clear how much better the hd600 sounded.

I'm not disputing that, the SHP's have a graininess to the mids and highs that jumps out when you alternate.
They're pretty amazing for the price though, shame they were discontinued.

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I dig them. I just got my hd600 in though and haven't even used them for a week and can tell they're on another level. Also in terms of comfort I wouldn't even call the SHP's a clear winner just a different type of looser fit comfort opposed to the squishy pillow clamp of the 600s

I can almost see this becoming a thing.

It reminds me a bit of the dome at Fry's where you can only hear it if you're standing over it. That's what they need to figure out

I just ordered the fostex th-x00, does anyone knows if the e-mu wood cups fit them?
Also, will the sound remain the same if i use cups of the same wood?

not fidelio x2s for funfones user, but could you elaborate?

Those just aren't well regarded headphones, nasty bloated bass.
You could go for something from Beyer if you want a more fun sound, particularly the 770 or 990. The AKG 712 are a good option too.