/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

>Post your questions here

>Read

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
>pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
>pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
>pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
>pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 6 rustle green.jpg (500x500, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.lineageos.org/devices/d855/install
androidexplained.com/downgrade-lg-g3/
lg-roms.com/LG-Firmware-List/LG G3
github.com/schollz/web-archiver
youtube.com/watch?v=if9_S_bn2b8
eightforums.com/threads/youve-been-signed-in-with-a-temporary-profile-fix.38817/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Good thread.

I want to use cheap ass ram as swap space, and I don't want to mix cheap and expensive ram, I also don't want to buy two additional sticks of the expensive ram, so I came up with this idea:

>buy 16GB of cheap ass ram
>put it in a pcie card.
>the system threads the new RAM as persistent storage and not as volatile memory.
>use said RAM-Disk as swap space and it will not interfere with the "expensive" RAM.

Is this possible?
Is this a bad idea?

Is Ubuntu really a botnet?

I'm an indecisive faggot and need some help deciding on a Laptop.

Thinkpad E585 (R5 2500U, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD) for 730€ or Latitude 5590 (i5 8250U, 512GB SSD, 68Wh Battery) for 930€?

Going to run Linux on it with a small Windows partition for a few things.

This has been done before. Gigabyte made something called the i-RAM back around 2005 which was essentially a PCI card with four DDR1 DIMM slots, a backup battery, and a SATA interface. Only one or two people implemented this since, and they were aimed at professional or "enterprise" markets and priced to match, Gigabyte was the only one who aimed at enthusiasts. If you were to make something like this today it could be blisteringly fast, especially if you gave it an x16 PCI-E link or the like, but probably not enough faster than modern SSDs to justify the stratospheric price per gigabyte, and dealing with the volatile nature of DRAM.

Depends on your threat model. Canonical's done some questionable things. A few years ago they had a (now removed) feature that, when you used the little search widget in Unity, sent the query to Amazon so products could be shilled to you. Nowadays they have an analytics thing that phones home. Like everyone who writes such spyware they swear up and down that its only technical information, its all anonymized, its only so they can find and fix bugs, yadda yadda. Its opt-out, I believe there's a question about it in the installer that defaults to "yes, I agree to this". So not as bad as Microsoft, who only let you turn your telescreen^H data collection down, not off, but if you're strict about privacy and take the position that the OS maker has no right to know what you do with your machine, still shady. Oh yeah, and the default MotD setup includes a script that pings Canonical, I believe so it can notify you of security updates and such. But which has the side effect of letting them know you exist.

If all this shit makes you say "fuck no", or just gives you an uncomfortable feeling, install Debian, they're much stricter about things like this. Essentially the only thing they tolerate is an opt-in (not opt-out) package-installation survey.

Really weird question over here.

Is there any piece of software, registry setting or whatever the fuck that can put the taskbar -only- in the secondary monitor on Windows?

Let's say that I have a setup where I'm kinda forced, by someone's decision to make a software only work on primary monitors, to switch monitors around so that the one I work with the most becomes secondary. I know 7 doesn't do this multimonitor taskbar, and unfortunately 8 and 10 show a taskbar with limited functionality on the secondary monitor. In a situation in which I wouldn't mind if the primary monitor didn't even have a taskbar at all.

I know on linux with some DEs it's just a matter of adding and removing panels, but the way windows operates is of course a pain in the ass.

So, I have a script running on one of my site that does some monitoring, it has access to the internet.
Now, if that script finds what it is looking for i need to know it ASAP. And not the "Email me" kind of ASAP. I mean some way to make it wake me up in case I'm sleeping.

Any good ideas on how to do that? I'd ideally need some sort of alarm(think alarm-clock) going of on my phone, that doesn't trigger for normal messages/emails.
I'd use something like Twillio(which i could use to call my phone) but i'm paranoid about the script breaking and them overcharging me for it (since its kinda iffy to set limits on Twillio).

Attached: 1467885874967.gif (600x600, 1.96M)

PCIe card is going to cost more than the difference of the price of the 'expensive' ram.
Just sell your ram, and max out whatever you can with the cheapest shit you got. You don't need LED ram, faggot.

Is rust a meme?

Attached: download.png (480x240, 8K)

>Nowadays they have an analytics thing that phones home.
It's optional and anonymous. Just as anonymous as posting here. O

>PCIe card is going to cost more than the difference of the price of the 'expensive' ram.
You mean the PCIe card costs more than 200 Bucks ?
Because currently I'm using CL14 3200T noRGB RAM.
And I can't just buy one(!) additional stick without destroying timings, nigger.

There used to be a piece of software called Ultramon that added, among other things, a bunch of taskbar customization to Win7, if anything could do it that's probably it. With 10 you're probably just SOL.

Define meme. Stamping out memory vulnerabilities is a worthy goal, but modern devs have short attention spans and are very intensely novelty-seeking, so they always think the answer is to make a whole new language. Supposedly the community is shit, too.

I'm talking to a guy on IRC right now that thinks we should rewrite all C/C++ code in Rust because C "has too many bugs"

I wish to root my phone and put Lineage on it, but it seems like a certain update to the stock rom doesn't let me root. Google says the ability to root was patched in that update. I figure I should flash a previous version of the official ROMs to be able to root. The question is: Does it matter which variation I use for that purpose, or does it not because of the fact I'll overwrite it later with a custom one?

>You mean the PCIe card costs more than 200 Bucks ?
Find me a PCIe card that adds ram, faggot.

You don't need to root your phone, you need to unlock its bootloader. It doesn't matter if the stock ROM won't give you root if you're able to overwrite the stock ROM with another ROM that will give you root.

>And I can't just buy one(!) additional stick without destroying timings, nigger.
Yes you can faggot. Just mount it as a different disk.

I'm clueless in matters of custom ROMs and moderately sleep deprived. What does that mean? I have an LG G3 and LineageOS's instructions say that stage 1 is rooting. Looking up a downgrading guide, I found the following statement: "It’s this exploit that allows us to gain root access, which allows us to unlock the bootloader, which allows us to install a custom recovery, which allows us to install a custom ROM."
They say root comes first, bootloader unlocking comes second. Having a completely untempered device, can I unlock the bootloader without root?
wiki.lineageos.org/devices/d855/install
androidexplained.com/downgrade-lg-g3/
lg-roms.com/LG-Firmware-List/LG G3

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-07-20-54-15.png (1440x2560, 181K)

>Yes you can faggot. Just mount it as a different disk.
Are we talking about the same timings? Column Access Strobe (CAS) latency? CL ?
You say I can use 3 sticks without fucking up my timings by 'just mounting it as different disk' ?

Any program to make bootable usb stick work with UEFI? I use rufus - doesn't seem to work with any distributions other than Debian, Kali Linux and Sparky (all Debian based).

>You say I can use 3 sticks without fucking up my timings by 'just mounting it as different disk' ?
That's what you're doing with the PCIe card, genius.

How do I get this notification to stop popping up? I don't need my email app running in the background.

Attached: Screenshot_Clover_20180807-140648.png (1080x1920, 611K)

Search for 'close background app on exit' followed by your device name.

Well I still want to be able to get notifications, I just don't need them immediately. Right now I have it set to update every 15 minutes. I think PUSH notifications mean it gives me a notification immediately when I receive an email right?

Yeah.
Just change the delay time.

But I don't want it wasting battery by being in the background. It's fine how it is now giving me updates every 15 minutes, I just don't want the notification to keep popping up to tell me to change it to push.

you misunderstood

What do I do to this little shit? It's stuck like a fat girl in a Smart Fortwo. It's an old HP laptop my neighbors left in a shelf for two years so I don't know what kinda shit made it get stuck. First time I'm having trouble with a keyboard.

Attached: img_8380534192189323178.jpg (4160x2340, 2.63M)

Flip the tab at the other side?

I consider myself a real life Sheldon Cooper so yes, I did try both ways. I'm smart like that.

I want to add certain objects to a map, how would I go about that?
Basically, where I live buses are the main route of public transporting, the issue it's not displayed on most online maps.
How do I add the routes they take to it?
And I don't mean like to the site, more like to an offline copy of it.

Attached: friend.png (598x556, 433K)

What did I misunderstand?

use osm/osmand
you can customize how the maps are displayed in osmand, as they're vector-based, not prerendered tiles
osm is also open/publically-editable, so you can add your local bus routes if they're missing, and your changes benefit others who use it

When I was building a computer ~6 years ago I vaguely recall people saying not to clone an HDD To an SSD due to fragmentations? Can't seem to read anything on that.

About to upgrade a friend's laptop and was wondering if I could just clone his HDD to the SSD without issue.

>And I don't mean like to the site, more like to an offline copy of it.
Go to their office and get a fucking map of the routes you autistic faggot.

How do I do that?
I was hoping for something like a layer, and an interactive line that says the route of the bus, also if more than one bus go through the same street the lines would be merged, like railroad?

How many packages are usually installed on a Debian Stable install with Xfce? Does 1376 after NVIDIA driver sound about right?

Attached: RUZ1R5Ik_400x400.jpg (400x400, 12K)

This is super stupid, but is there any non-retarded pdf to doc solution?
I know there are many, but they are all fucking retarded

All i want is to extract text so i can reformat.
But no..

PDF -> DOC : It saves images of the shitty background and put them all over the document
PDF -> TXT: Somehow it reads bad the text, even when i can copy paste the shit with no mistakes

number of packages is a meaningless statistic.

Number of packages doesn't matter.

aside from using adobe's premium paid software to export as DOC, no. Adobe made that as painful as possible in order to push their SAS business model for their software.

Honestly, your best bet is to use a screen grabbing tool and saving each page as a picture if maintaining quality is what you are after.

also, good luck with any of that if it is a ((Secured)) .pdf with copying and exporting disabled.

you can enable visibility of bus routes with Configure map > Transport in osmand

Attached: Screenshot_OsmAnd~_20180808-045317.png (1080x1920, 351K)

im looking to extract the text, then reformat it so it takes less pages, cause i like printing them to read under the sun

Why won't my monitor show overdrive settings in the osd?

Anyone know of an archive.org clone? Or clone of something similar like archives.fo? I found github.com/schollz/web-archiver but it's incomplete and hasn't been updated in 3 years.

Attached: 5b69da952d109.jpg (750x866, 140K)

any ideas how to fix these borders on most videos in chrome? seems to happen on all mp4s in the chrome player but no webms, all twitch streams, and some but not all youtube videos, with no obvious rhyme or reason

Attached: wdasdawdwadwdawdsdwdswdasdawdasdawsdawsdwdsasdadssaaaaaaaassdsawdawsdwda.png (1334x1999, 2.33M)

Thanks, but I meant how to add a route.

So I'm considering getting a Matebook x pro for school and personal use but I know there are some privacy/ security concerns surrounding Huawei. I guess I'm wondering if using linux would eliminate those issues if I decided to dual boot with windows 10. I'm completely new to linux fyi

What's the name of the song at 6:30
youtube.com/watch?v=if9_S_bn2b8

Does anyone still use IRC?

Anyone got experience with recent Thinkpad E? Mostly concerned about build quality.

Is there an imageviewer that lets you scroll to go to next/prev image (like Photos in w10) and lets you zoom in to original size when left clicked (like Google Chrome)

This isn't that stupid, but I have an old all-in-one desktop computer. What should I do with it?

pic related

Attached: HP_Hewlett_Packard_BK139AA_ABA_TouchSmart_600_1120_All_in_One_Desktop_687103[1].jpg (2500x2500, 434K)

The wifi signal strength in my Dell Inspiron 15 has gradually decreased over the course of several months to the point of needing to be physically beside the router to have strong signals. Before it had no connection issues.

All drivers are up to date. No major system updates (e.g. upgrading to windows 10) have occurred.
All other laptops in the house don't have connection problems. The weak connections have happened in other people's houses.
This laptop is dual-booted (Windows 8 and Ubuntu 16), and I experience the same connection problem on Ubuntu.
Nothing in my house has changed in terms of furniture that would block the wifi signal.

I believe a faulty wireless card is the cause of the problem, but I would like the input of more tech savvy people before I make a decision.
If it is a faulty wireless card, would a usb wifi adapter be a solution, or do I need to buy a new wireless card?

Is there a way to add thumbnails to webms metadata? I convert webms and sometimes they don't have thumbnails. Icaros works well for explorer but when on my phone looking at them, some thumbnails just do not show up.

Attached: Screenshot_20180807-150404.jpg (1000x997, 199K)

Hi Jow Forums I need help.

My hard drives are not detected in the bios. It did that after that I reset the CMOS because I install a new power supply and my PC couldn't boot (it was a black screen)
After resetting the CMOS, it said "insert Boot media in selected boot device and press a key". So at this moment, I knew something was different.
Therefore I insert my laptop ssd which contains Windows and I finally can boot in the computer.
However, I went to "Disk management" and all my disk except C drive (laptop ssd) weren't shown in disk manager.

What happened ? Can I recover my disks ?

Thank you

Moving soon and I need a free program to plan out where stuff has to go. Is there a program that allows me to use custom made furniture added by others, and make my own? A 3d function so that I can look around in the room is a must.

I installed some drivers on Win98 but now the OS is completely black upon restart. The BIOS and splash screen are visible, but the login and desktop screens are completely dark. Clicking enter signals the login noise, so I know it's there I just can't see it.

How do I reverse my actions here?

Attached: 81e704efd5e572fee282edbb6548d12b.jpg (1342x1600, 111K)

How the fuck do I enable gpedit in this day? Nothing fucking works.

Do anyone have an updated list of chrome/ff extentions to install?

even his non-lewds are lewd

Attached: 1529808360939.png (1054x940, 1.01M)

Is there a music player on Android that can stream from my NAS but also pre-cache some stuff on demand for when my commute goes underground? Sounds like a simple problem but I can't find anything. I could always download some songs manually and then switch between local and streamed songs as needed, but having the two players/sources would be clunky and I'd prefer a more straightforward solution.

can the botnet infect me through a VM?

What is the ultimate anti-Apple company?
Apple
>hates longevity, pushes for obsolescence
>hates functionality, removes headphone jack, USB, disc drive, etc.
>overprices everything to infinity
>has a shitty userbase
>shitty outdated/overpriced hardware
>DumbOS made for 50 IQ'ers to slow down their devices unless latest model
>shitty batteries, can't even take them out
>retarded software that gets less functional with each update

My closest guess is Huawei, but I'm not sure on them outside smartphone performance. Sony laptops are fine, too.

What do you mean by botnet? If it's actual malware, it can infect you through your network the same as from any other machine on it, if your VM has a network adapter. Malware could also use stuff like spectre to spy on some stuff outside the VM, or other exploits to break out of it. So, if you want to play with serious malware, it should be on a network that's airgapped from anything you care about, on dedicated hardware you don't care about.

If you mean stuff like (((telemetry))), adware, etc., those are pretty harmless and will only be able to spy on stuff inside your VM.

any way to use on html5
iframes are retarded

IBM

not him but how can you tell your router or network is infected with something serious?

should i just buy a new modem or router?

What's the best book to read to learn the basics of Latex?

Beginner's BDSM

>having problems with realtek network drivers since long ago
>essentially whole system lags every few or dozen minutes
>was frustrating initially, got used to it over time
>find the courage to attempt another fix
>search for the newest drivers
>download, remove old drivers and install the new one
>notice it's for Win10 and not Win7
>installation goes wrong, pops up some errors
>restart anyway
>get some message that driver installation failed
>network card works though
>so far managed to not have lags for 4 minutes so I could FC a song in osu!
Am I going to be daijobu? Does Win10 actually have different (from Win7) API for drivers?

Attached: 1533350652328.png (298x267, 133K)

How to tackle heavy interlacing with ffmpeg? yadif alone isn't enough.

nevermind that, any way to make iframe take EXACTLY 100% height and 90% width, the remaining 10% being empty space to write on on the left?

Attached: dark seer ghost blowjob.png (128x128, 32K)

Can someone tell me why streaming any sort of media is bad? I get hounded for streaming a single ep of any anime. Some anime is super hard to find. and I also do not have the hard dirve space for it. So why should I download it all when some site like kissanime or gogoanime has it or cruchyroll or hulu. What's so horrible about using some site? Hell, even youtube and amazon. No one will tell me why

>Get the retarded idea of building a WHERE condition in JavaScript so I can POST it to a PHP file so it can insert it in a PDO query.
>The condition is made fine but once I POST the fucking thing the PDO ignores the values because I don't wrap them in ' '
>Add the ' ' to the JavaScript maker
>Once I post it now thanks to the ' ' it ignores everything after the first '
How do I unfuck this up without rewriting everything?
pls im retarded

What internet provider do you have? I never had this issue.

This morning I had the issue with my Windows 10 PC where it forces me into a temporary profile and won't let me log on to my own. I followed the instructions outlined here. eightforums.com/threads/youve-been-signed-in-with-a-temporary-profile-fix.38817/

In hindsight I realize I probably should have renamed the .bak SID. but I'm still hoping there is some way to recover my application settings.

After rebooting my PC I no longer log into a temporary profile although it looks just like one. None of my desktop icons are present and my personal documents are missing. They are still present on my hard drive as the amount of free space I have is still the same. Looking under users there is a folder for "Logan" (me) and another folder "Logan.LOGAN" which I assume is the user folder for this "new" profile. the user folder "Logan" has all of my documents and stuff in it. Is there any way to transfer the application settings, files, etc... To my " new" profile? Is there any way to go back to my old one? I don't mind transferring everything, but I'm hoping there's a way to recover my old account. My system restore points don't seem to be working

charter why?

My new laptop has issues with it's audio jack (crackling on the left side). Apparently it's a widespread issue with the model. so if I were to get a replacement there's a good chance it would have the issue as well. What's a good usb dac that's small enough to plug in and forget about?

Attached: anger.jpg (236x145, 12K)

If I have two instances of Chrome installed (regular Chrome and Chrome Canary - installed in different locations) is it possible for the data to be crossed?
For example, if I have both of them open at the same time, can the extensions installed on one read the data from the other?

If an HDD firmware was infected with malware does that means theres no way to get rid of it? Even with DBAN?

Attached: 2 many nukes were enough.webm (640x360, 1.6M)

Which laptop is it? I need to know what model to avoid since I plan on buying one next week.

yes, it's calm and non threatening. I like it.

Question about piracy (I'm uh, doing research on piracy. Yes. I would never be a pirate myself.)

Pirating Windows XP used to be really easy, you just downloaded a CD key and typed it in.

Am I right in thinking that pirating Windows 10 is much harder?

Attached: windows 10.png (800x474, 114K)

Is apple really that gay?
I want to get macosx cheetah so I can play around with it and play bugdom but they hide the iso.
Literally why?

Attached: 1533596380241.jpg (300x300, 18K)

chinkpad x1 carbon 6th gen.

can i use a 24inch 1080p tv as a second monitor?

Hey Jow Forums.

I'm using an LG aristo, problem is I'm out of space.

I want to download a file to my external SD, but this piece of shit OS refuses to recognize the SD when it's exfat, and FAT32 is trash.

Is there anything I can do, or should I just toss this useless fucking phone in the trash?

Apple is patrician, pic related

Anyway I googled that game and apparently they released it on Windows too

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 22.48.16.jpg (2560x1600, 1.8M)

I'm trying to IVTC 1080i 29.97 footage to 1080p 23.97 using RipBot's Avisynth settings, and it seems to be deinterlacing properly but not converting back to 23.97
wtf do I do

nevermind figured it out
I was converting w/ a CF of 0 (lossless) so it apparently can't decimate to 23.97 FPS that way
guess I'll leave my PC on tonight and convert w/ a CF of 1

i haven't built a PC since 2012, i haven't been keeping up with the news, and i'm looking to build a brand new rig. what's new?

are there any upcoming hardware releases i should keep in mind?

Having the classic "internet flickers every hour to half hour" issue on my computer (wi-fi, windows 7, only computer in house affected). Problem didn't go away when router/modem were changed recently, so its probably on my computer's end. Anything I can do that isn't a fresh install?

What's the smallest non-Chinese laptop I can readily obtain? Doesn't matter if it's Windows 98 era.

wasn't the older acer aspire models really small?
I use to have one and it was tiny.

>cpu usage rarely goes higher than 50%
>memory usage never more than 4 gb usage out of 8 gb
>ssd rarely more than 10% usage
>wifi up/down never goes higher than 300 kbps (i have a 56 mbps connection)
>still took 3 minutes to load this website
explain

Attached: file.png (450x430, 32K)

Yeah, but acers usually have abysmal build quality

How do you download a zeronet site?
I have the "mirror this website" checked but its been over a month and less then 1gb of date of 11gb has been downloaded.
Is there a faster tool to do a full download of the zerosite?

So I have an old thinkpad I got from a friend
it has windows 8 with the classic shell installed
but it's been telling me to activate windows for a while now but I have no idea how to get the product key
any ideas how I can get the product key? I need it to activate windows so I can update and upgrade it