5 CS books

you need to give a person with 0 knowledge of computer science 5 books that will make that person understand how a computer works and turn that person in the best programmer possible with those 5 books only. What are your 5 picks?

Attached: 1517992819877.jpg (1500x1125, 304K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources
courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf
jeffe.cs.illinois.edu/teaching/algorithms/
crypto.stanford.edu/~dabo/cryptobook/
intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/current/ComputerNetworks/
files.catbox.moe/ariu79.7z
archive.org/details/CProgrammingLanguage2ndEditionByBrianW.KernighanDennisM.Ritchie
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

five doujins

You can just ask for some books to read, you don't have to be cryptic about it.

Attached: Annoyed.jpg (306x306, 20K)

>books
useless shit
just dounload vintage basic and programm something

five mangos

From what i’ve read:
The C programming language by C&H - Teaches you C, which is a good base to learn any other orogramming langauges. Also teaches you about how types work, pointers, and other low-level things
SICP - Teaches you a functional language and how to think like a programmer
Code by Charles Petzold - Teaches you how computers calculate things, binary, how memory works at a hardware level, circuits, etc
Operating Systems: Design and Implementation - A book torvalds used to write linux, will give you insight on how OSes work
Hacker’s Delight - Algoritms and misc

To be honest though OP, Jow Forums isn’t a great place if you’re actually looking to be a programmer. Jow Forums isn’t a place for insightful conversation, as you’ve undoubtedly noticed by the first few replies. It boils down to pajeet memes and which linux distro gives you the most nerd cred. Leave this place and study programming everyday, after a week you’ll be better than 90% of the people who haven’t left yet. The Jow Forums wiki is pretty good for finding resources,l to learn, see wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Programming_resources

Godspeed, user.

>SICP
>K&R C
One gives a practical overview of a language useful even today, and an understanding of "lower-level" languages. The other explains all the high level concepts. Perhaps not the best introduction to programming, but if they're smart they'll pull through.
>That Algorithms book whatever its name is
>Knuth's Art of Programming
Get some knowledge on how to actually solve practical problems.
>GoF Design Patterns
And how to solve design problems and actually organize your code.

I didn't include anything about clean code because it tends to be full of memes and Design Patterns cover a lot of good practices. The rest is either common sense or can be learned by osmosis from examples: as long as you're not a pajeet, there shouldn't be any need to explicitly spell out the fact that variable names need to be descriptive or whatever. I also didn't add anything about coding in a team, because your teammates can help you out there. You don't read a book to learn git, for example, you just use it and figure out how to solve any problems you encounter, and soon you're experienced and comfortable with it.

> Operating Systems: Design and Implementation
Is this still relevant to modern OS design?

Yes, very much so. Modern OS design is built on this, and it’s only a matter of building abstractions of concepts introduced in the book

K&R as basic programming book
Computer Systems: A Programmer's Perspective As book all in one programming operative system,network and compute architecture.

Basic Math for computer systems and algortihms
courses.csail.mit.edu/6.042/spring17/mcs.pdf

CLRS or this as algortihms book jeffe.cs.illinois.edu/teaching/algorithms/

Introduction To Automata Theory Languages , and Computation - John Hopcroft
Only real computer science book, very beautiful and inspiring book.

>nu-memepad
animegirlholdingpuke.jpeg

Something on algorithms: Introduction to Algorithms by CLRS or some alternative

Something on networks: not sure what to recommend here, A Top-Down Approach is garbage and in generally I don't like Tanenbaum.

Something on low-level optimizations: CSAPP consists of important topics: bit-wise manipulation and data representation in C; debugging; basics of assembly - to evaluate translated C function but not how to design complete programs; pipelining, instruction-level parallelism, SIMD instructions and how to optimize toward it; branch prediction; cache hierarchy; anatomy of object files, ELF binaries and (dynamic) linking; exceptional control flow; process abstraction, signals; virtual memory layout; dynamic memory allocation; I/O; network programming; concurrent programming, synchronization/locks and threads.
Covers a lot but some places are too useless, some have fundamental mistakes and overall it lacks methodology on how to measure things on your own. Not really sure what to replace this book with, it covers a lot of what OS books.

Something on cryptography: Again not sure what to recommend here. The all-might Schneier book is outdated and haven't read any of the newer ones (e.g. Cryptography Engineering). I've seen some criticism toward Introduction to Modern Cryptography by Katz and Lindell in favor of crypto.stanford.edu/~dabo/cryptobook/

Something on compilers and language design: it's a combo of data structures, grammar theories, automatons and parsing strategies, formal proofs, data structures and graph algorithms, some conventional designs in languages and how are they implemented and again - relation of high level code to low level CPU features such as call and return convention, register utilization, call stack and so on. Would probably for with Engineering a Compiler.

5/5 useless

1) Ed Mastery
2) Absolute OpenBSD
3) Relayd And Httpd Mastery
4) SSH Mastery
5) The Book of PF

Attached: 1530308785346.png (800x689, 203K)

>people give actual advice to OP
>cringe

what books would you recommend, faggot? don't answer that, i know you haven't touched a book since you were in highschool.

1) Introduction to Computing Systems: From Bits and Gates to C and Beyond
2) A Tour of C++ (2nd Edition)
3) Data Structures and Algorithms in Java, 6th Edition

*** At this point you understand how to code and the fundamentals of how a computer works ***

To be a true aspie read:
4) *Some book on operating systems*
5) Compilers: Principles, Techniques, and Tools

Bonus)
- Understanding Machine Learning: From Theory To Algorithms
- Algorithms
- The Art of Computer Programming
- CMOS VLSI Design: A Circuits and Systems Perspective

Manga Guide to Electricity
Manga Guide to Microprocessor
Manga Guide to Linear Algebra
Manga Guide to Databases
Manga Guide to Statistics

Attached: manga_15set.png (813x644, 755K)

1. Pick any book teaching a single language and learn the basics of what it means to program.
2. Repeat step 1 but with a different language. You want to quickly get to the point where language choice doesn't matter and you're thinking more about the actual logic of what you're doing.
3. SICP.
4. Clean Code.
5. Pick something specific to a domain you're interested in.

I haven't read that book, but for my OS class in Uni, we read Operating Systems: Three Easy Pieces, which is free and constantly updated. It was a very good introduction, and our professor thought it was a good alternative to Tanenbaum.

this is the only valid advice

CS: APP was a good book. Would recommend. CLRS might be a bit heavy handed though. I also read some of Introduction to the Theory of Computation by Michael Sipser was a good one too.

We used intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/current/ComputerNetworks/ for my Uni. Don't know what you would think.

I know you said you wanted to learn CS, but you said you wanted to be a good programmer. Code Complete will make you a good programmer.

I saw one of these books IRL once, but it was left to right, which ruined it for me.

Really truthful post user this whole board is full of underage faggots who know nothing.

Part of "statistics" is on panda, actually

Attached: 1531305760608.jpg (982x1348, 337K)

This is like when someone laughs in public to themselves expecting you to ask them what they're laughing about.

Oh, no.
Someone else who doesn;t know the difference between "mean" and "average".

here you go fags some of the books in this thread. i think all latest edition (?)
files.catbox.moe/ariu79.7z

archive.org/details/CProgrammingLanguage2ndEditionByBrianW.KernighanDennisM.Ritchie

SICP
the little schemer
learn you a haskell for great good
Linux kernel development by Robert love
the dragon book

Call Alladin so he can use a wish.

K&R The C Programming Language
CLRS Algorithms and Data Structures
SICP
The Cathedral and the Bazaar
Practical Vim

Pudlák - Logical Foundations of Mathematics and Computational Complexity
Hennessy, Patterson - Computer Architecture: A Quantitative Approach
SICP
TAOCP
CLRS

Why do you need five when all you need is:
«From NAND to TETRIS»?

because it doesn't cover any topic properly in-depth

>Manga Guide to Linear Algebra
>Manga Guide to CPU
>Manga Guide to Databases
>Ubunchu!
>Manga Guide to Lisp

Attached: umalico.webm (270x380, 86K)

actually the c programming language skips over a lot of fundementals and isnt actually good for a beginner with no concept of how programming works

>t. retard

>Ubunchu
>these are actual things that exist
> mother of god
> what have i missed

Ikr?
I am reading now the first chapter and it is so cringe lmao xD

>The Cathedral and the Bazaar
more like "Linus wrote Linux and I wrote some shit nobody uses and that's why I am great and open source is great too I guess"

Ellul's Technological Society
Ellul's Propaganda
Industrial Society and It's Future
Notes from underground
Discipline and Punsh

Hopefully I will have saved a soul from cs

you'll get used to it.

>from /lit/
>have read unabomber's manifesto and agreed with him in a lot of ideas, also have read/watched (eg walden) lots of stuff on """""primitivism""""""" and loved it (not that I intend to live in the woods or something, but I've been growing an aversion to technology, specially the "mobile culture" with smartshit and iphones)
>dad programmer, so was introduced to it and learned a good bit about it when I was a kid
>college course is IT + business/management
>in constant doubt if I go business or IT (getting an internship soon so I must decide which path to go to), I think IT is a safer bet opportunities-wise
>although I find some aspects of CS interesting everytime I try to study it, shit like Industrial Society comes to mind and I start thinking I could be reading some good literature/philosophy instead of this meaningless babble, not to mention there is a good chance of ending up working with something like apps or webdev which repulses me to my core

Attached: 1486744824484.jpg (683x986, 150K)

Why's Poignant Guide
The C Programming Language
Whatever algorithms book had the red black tree in the cover
Then pick any two cookbook or framework books to get into.

depends on how you look at things. i tend to look at programming as solving puzzles and nothing more than that which is why i'm kinda afraid to become a dev cuz at my internship i did nothing else but shitting out code. academia seems fun.

Kind of nice to know I'm not the only one with good taste

Attached: Snapchat-354055836.jpg (1080x2160, 415K)

i have all these.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:0ebfb8d5c27e2f85c15f38353deef2f405c93a78&dn=%26quot%3BThe+Manga+Guide+To%26quot%3B+Collection&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fzer0day.ch%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969

Cringe

What ThinkPad is on the picture boys?

t460s

CLRS
Gang of Four
Apostol Calc
Concrete Mathematics
Code Complete

Exactly. It's better for OP to learn a scripting language, like Python, first, then dip into a high-level language.

explain yourself pls

Blueboard, but that's Tiffany Teen isn't it?

if you are capable of programming you don't need to preface it with some beginner language. Some people are incapable/unwilling to learn anything more in programming and won't go beyond basic shell or python scripts. But being able to work with those doesn't make learning C++, C#, or Java easier. The only exception is for like elementary school kids, then you can give them a toy language instead of something practical.

>it's fucking real

algebra is kino