WebGL: What happened?

This has existed since 2011 and it's today supported by 92% of users.

What happened? Where did it go?

Attached: 2000px-WebGL_Logo.svg.png (2000x836, 81K)

Other urls found in this thread:

webgl2fundamentals.org
webglfundamentals.org
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

IDK, it's pretty cool but haven't had the time to make more stuff with it. I think it's probably because graphics programming is too hard for the average web dev.

Three.JS,processing.js and other JS libraries use as base, plus some webgames.

There are plenty of games and other toys which rely on it. I tried getting into it once, but all tutorials depend on libraries, and I wanted to have a grasp on math behind graphics, so I never picked it up. Watching videos is good enough for normies, I guess.

Flash 2.0, it's shit

>but all tutorials depend on libraries, and I wanted to have a grasp on math behind graphics

These tutorials are without libraries:

webgl2fundamentals.org

webglfundamentals.org

There are tutorials out there that don't rely on libraries, user, so you can roll your own matrix operations and shaders to your heart's content.

Thanks, the last time I tried (which was about one year ago) I couldn't find any no matter how hard I tried.

I had to disable it because it made Firefox crash for no good reason on some sites when using AMDGPU on Ubuntu. Sites where you wouldn't expect it to matter, like aliexpress.com

>Sites where you wouldn't expect it to matter, like aliexpress.com
The Chinks tried to mine cryptocoins using your electricity.

It's still around, I just made a game in it last month, fun stuff

You should use WebGL as a whitelist-only feature, as it can be used for browser fingerprinting

>web dev

fine, "internet applications engineer"

>AYYMD
>UGABANTOY

>I tried getting into it once, but all tutorials depend on libraries, and I wanted to have a grasp on math behind graphics, so I never picked it up.

I did that with OpenGL once.
Fun learning experience indeed, but way too tedious to make anything useful so it's natural that few tutorials focus on it.

You should probably start with learning linear algebra first if you haven't already, otherwise it will make little sense.

>putting lipstick on a pig

Interesting.

Firefox crashes my Nvidia display driver so often I had to switch to Chrome.
Also many websites but visiting YouTube is a guaranteed crash.
Maybe WebGL is the cause.

>What happened? Where did it go?
nothing, it's good and widely used

>widely used
[CITATION NEEDED]

I know Google Maps use it for 3D.

Grow up.

many popular html5 multiplayer games like surviv.io are made with it, three.js which extremely popular also uses it

>Graphics in the browser
Who really wants this? For a game you'd want the native performance so running it trhough a browser is stupid.

there are many popular browser online games you retard, not everybody is begging for crysis-tier games, browser games are cross platform, runnable on old devices and easy to play since it's just a website

I think it's pretty much only big party stuff like that, yes.

Makings something custom for a simple website is probably way too much work.
And some of your visitors might not be able to use it, or it might be too slow for them.

Maybe not so great for games, but I can see it being useful in stuff like mapping applications, or things like showing an exploded view of a complex component to an engineer, while still having the advantage of being able to use ajax calls from the browser to get data from somewhere like a terrain model or parts database and having an easy to implement UI.

Not everyone will need it, but it's great that the possibility is there.
I think it's also a nice and easy way to get into hardware accelerated graphics.

Use a better distro and first world hardware.

did they ever solve controls like mouse capture being super fucky

good post

With WebGL you can get native performance from the GPU in browser. Obviously you may have issues if your game is CPU-bound, but web workers and webassembly are addressing that.

webassembly still runs on the browser render engine level, it's not aiming for native performance from web pages. They're targeting native installations but only to replace things like Node.

Learn regular OpenGL first, then try WebGL

Also learn basic linear algebra

there's basically no usecase except for some neato animated data viz