Plex Server / Media Streaming

Does anyone here use Plex as a media server for their home network? Is an Intel NUC/Mac Mini the best way to go about this?

Attached: plex.png (1224x1348, 277K)

Other urls found in this thread:

horriblesubs.info/rss.php?res=1080
streamaserver.org/
cuttingcords.com/home/ultimate-server/getting-started
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>Does anyone here use Plex as a media server for their home network
yes
>Is an Intel NUC/Mac Mini the best way to go about this
no

Pardon my ignorance, but what does Plex offer that a NAS doesn't? Wouldn't putting all of your media on a NAS solve your problem?

Plex uses a considerable amount if CPU when it's transcoding. MacMini or NUC would work, but not be optimal.

>Plex
Nah.

Anyone got a free as in freedom alternative to plex server?

Attached: 1527212395549.jpg (680x680, 35K)

Build your own mini itx from 2200g.

NUC is kinda underwhelming. It's fucking expensive for one, even a Pentium J5005 NUC is $200 before any RAM or storage, so you'd have spent $400 for a shitty Pentium machine once you kit it out, just to do the same shit that a Nvidia shield can do.

((((transcoding))))

>Anyone got a free as in freedom alternative to plex server?

Kodi.

Kodi, or XMBC (Im pretty sure kodi is basically just an updated xmbc made by the same people)

What options do I have if I want to stream music I've downloaded in-browser from anywhere? It would be strictly for music usage only.

An FTP server

Put your files on a network drive and then open the files. bam.

Kodi isn't really a media server. It's a media center program.

Get a Sansa Clip and a microSD card.

im thinking one could do it with some combo of a simple fileserver and vlc

I already have an mp3 player, but sometimes I encounter situations where I don't have that on me but have access to a device with internet access and want to access and play my files.

>Plex
No, I just use my Surface to load the mkv directly from my ZFS share.

More like tranny coding

Mini-itx build with a ryzen 4 core apu is your best bet

Use Google Play or Spotify like a normal person.

If the music I listened to was on those services I would use them.

I use Universal Media Player. I like it. Ill never use anything else.

Listen to better music that people like.

Google Play is literally your own music that you can access over the web. It costs ten bucks per month meaning you can get 4 years of Google play for the cost of an NUC plus RAM plus SSD.

you can upload your own music

>paying to listen to your own music
user I...

>paying for an NUC or a mini-ITX server to listen to your own music

Just upload your shit on youtube

>implying

see
It would be cheaper to get an off lease Optiplex or something with a bunch of drive bays and fill it with WD Reds in RAID 5 or something
I encode all my stuff in H.265 to save space. Plex can transcode on the fly as well but you'll need a fairly beefy CPU if you want to downsize 4K content. I think it supports GPU transcoding as well

A nice interface that works on a plethora of devices. My mom had an account and I can share my home video folder with her that she can access on her TV like it's Netflix

Attached: 20180716_223442.jpg (2656x1494, 940K)

>not being on a family plan

Optiplex SFF has one HDD bay. You can get a tower but there aren't that many of them.

My family and friends aren't dumb enough

Just run the server on the optiplex and put your storage on a 4 bay WD MyCloud is Synology NAS

Just use Kodi + Samba and avoid the Botnet analytics these swede cucks keep trying to implement. Plex is a proprietary fork of XMBC anyways. The transcoding can be done on pretty much any modern device including a raspberry pi 3. If you need internet access to you media, use a VPN and just stream it over samba.

Attached: 1529514686461.png (384x545, 410K)

Or shove the entire PC in a cardboard box lol

I have a 1700x that I game on and run as my plex server. I don't have anyone in any other house or anything running off of it and it does fine. Never notice a slow down in gaming, So if you have another desktop you may not even need a dedicated one.

I'd go out on a limb and say it would be okay if it was just you using the server. I have a Plex server running on a piece of shit four-year-old Pentium and it works fine.

I use an Emby server with a ftp server. People can upload media to my 10Tb drive and then stream it. Emby is free and is Plex's competitor.

This. Emby is a great alternative. Still sucks cpu for transcoding if your shit isn't directly streamable though.

I run a ryzen 1700 build running centos for hosting a large emby server. Current drive array uses 4x8tb drives.

Works fantastically well can transcode fine no problem. All air cooled using a noctua cooler and decent case fans open front panel for unrestricted flow.

ignore all the idiots telling you to do some convoluted bullshit op. Plex + NUC is a match made in heaven. Get the i3 NUC, stick plex on there, stick it in a closet and forget about it. I've had mine running for 4 years now and the only thing I've ever needed to do is the occasional update.

If you want something to fiddle/play/learn with then get an actual home server and put plex in a VM (and a NUC would still be perfect for this just perhaps one with more CPU)

and wrt transcoding the i3 NUC handles everything fine except for 4K HDR (if you download HDR content but don't have a HDR player/TV), but you should get players that can direct stream/hardware decode h.264 since it's not 2008 anymore.

>buy a nas
>install plex on it
what now faggot

Find the cheapest semi-modern intel you can. A single hd stream costs 2k benchmark points on cpubenchmark.net

some of the NUCs are pretty fucking fast IIRC

Is the i3 sufficient? I dont have any 4k content.

X201 (1st gen i5) or x230 (i5 3rd gen, though I use it often) as plex servers ) No more than 2 streams at once.

Would they do it ?

Gen 10 Microserver

Attached: gen10-microserver-1260x630[1].jpg (1260x630, 102K)

Get a GT1030 for GPU transcoding

Enjoy your no BIOS updates and random freezing graphics driver.

I've been using Plex for about 3 years so far. I have my torrents download automatically so it's great for keeping up with shows when I'm away from home.
My Plex PC is G3258 and 8GB of ram, currently have about ~7TB of media.

Attached: Screenshot_20180808-155457.jpg (1080x1920, 816K)

What are you using to automatically download torrents?

man sometimes i just overlook easy answers like this one,thanks bud

Home network?
Wtf? What do you need a home network for?

Just RSS at the moment. I think there are more elegant solutions though, but I'm lazy as fuck. Almost everything I want auto-downloaded is from Horrible Subs anyway, so I just pull the shows I want from their 1080p RSS

What's your setup? I'm getting that same server next month

>Intel NUC/Mac Mini
Those are overpriced trash.

Rather then have your data on your computer it is on a central hub that can be essily accessed oj any device on the network meaning you can be comfy in bed watching some anime in high quality without the need of transfereing the files on it
Also if set it up you can access it while outside. Say going away for a trip or whatever

I could never seem to get an rss working properly for my animus.
Is there a better tutorial for it somewhere on the net?

Grab this link and put it into qbittorrent. I think you click RSS on the top right corner or something. Then you just add a rule for what shows you want to grab out of the link. For example, I made a rule to grab everything with the term "Boku no Hero Academia" and downloaded it to the correct folder.
I can't remember exactly what it looks like in the UI, but it's pretty self explanatory.

horriblesubs.info/rss.php?res=1080

I found this recently when i was looking at alternatives as i dont like that you know have to pay to access plex outside your house. I think it looks promising but is lacking in features which is fair enough as it seems only one person is working on it desu streamaserver.org/

Attached: 1532860387422.png (549x768, 580K)

you should use 720p instead. 1080p is literally upscaled 720.

I just connect an external HDD to my Xbox One S and use VLC to watch videos, it also has Plex and Kodi but I don’t like streaming.

Attached: xbox one s.jpg (1920x1080, 127K)

I have old Intel nuc with Kodi on it.

you can use plex for music afaik

cuttingcords.com/home/ultimate-server/getting-started follow this setup guide for sonarr. When adding torrent indexers make sure to add anime categories and when adding anime shows into sonarr set the series type as anime. If you want more indexers which sonarr doesn't support natively which you will look up jackett it lets you use hundreds of different trackers with sonar. It's not perfect but it works pretty well

why do people use proprietary media serbs when you could just use sftp or something
phones and tablets support it

is there something i'm missing here
is it smart tvs
do people actually have those

I do at least, it just works and don't have to put much thought into how it works

A media server gives you transcoding. This is important to some people because not all devices support MKVs and h.265, which a lot of shit comes as in torrents.
A media server also gives you content indexing, renaming, cover art downloading, and a nice view of your shit. It's nice.

>Is an Intel NUC/Mac Mini the best way to go about this
Is not a good way to go about anything. It's garbage

I got this shitfest running in about 5 minutes on a windows 8.1 PC and a 6 year old iPad and have had surprisingly few problems.
*does not include time spent trying to find a chinese botnet that wasn't also jewish as hell and supported a sane amount of file formats on apple's rancid turd of a store

Fair enough
Really made me wonder how hard making a media serb + some jury rigged client software for android is anywhomst.
A simple one for personal use probably can't be that hard.

I've been working on one on and off for a bit over a year. It's not easy. Most of the challenges are around transcoding, which is truly a non-trivial task. Indexing and getting art and shit is comparatively straightforward.

I'm targeting the widest possible platform though i.e. browsers. They're real fucking picky.

Can't you just use ffmpeg?
>targeting browsers
Never mind, you poor fuck, why would you do that to yourself?

Emby.

Kodi is a client, not a server.

Because they just werk and smart TVs with Roku built in are dirt cheap. I don't even think you can get regular TVs anymore

>1080p is literally upscaled 720
What are you saying? Are you implying native 1080p video doesn’t exist?

ffmpeg is half the solution. If your connection is at all spotty you'll want to be able to degrade the quality and bring it back up when bandwidth returns. Luckily MPEG DASH can handle doing this, but ffmpeg won't prepare videos for dash, and you'll need an mpd file (an xml definition of the content). Further, you can't multiplex audio, video and subs in a single file, so you'll need to generate a huge ffmpeg command to break your input into an mp4 for each quality, each audio track, and vtt files for subs. Then you feed that into a dash tool (I'm using mp4box, which is kinda... difficult, but workable).

That's all fine and good, but there are... complications. Browsers are absolutely autistic about mpd files being 110% exactly what they want, which isn't really what mp4 box gives. Then there's the little matter of mp4box not letting you add raw vtt files for subs, it expects you to pack them into mp4s. Clearly that's moronic so I'm adding them to the xml file myself.
It's really a mess of little things here and there.

>Why would you do that to yourself?
All good developers are self-flagellators. Hard problems haven't stopped me before, and I'm working in an area where there aren't many good solutions. What basically everyone does is just pay for a commercial solution like wowza or some transcoding as a service nonsense. There are a few free solutions, but they're all quite bad and they tend to be bolted onto a full "product".

He's still living in 2006

>tfw nas and kodi combo

Attached: trump_winning_more.png (764x690, 643K)

>huge ffmpeg command
>feed it into a tool
nigga please tell me that I'm being an autism and misinterpreting you.
You do know ffmpeg is also a binary library, and that you could probably rip code from mp4box to add DASH support?

One thing stopping me from trying Plex is that anime is historically difficult to use properly in media center stuff, especially from my experiences with KODI in the past.
I'm already using sonarr, what kind of config is needed to get anime to display and track properly in Plex? Especially stuff like Monogatari Series which sonarr has an aneurysm trying to figure out and I always have to get manually?

Works out of the box for me, even with wapanese names
You can easily add more agents if need be

The cli interface is far easier to use than the binary one. It's pretty much built for being used this way. Forming the ffmpeg command is really not an issue anyway since ffmpeg is absolutely solid software. The hard part was figuring out what browsers will take, and how exactly the file needs to be sliced for mp4box.
mp4box is the bitch, and it's just because it emits weird mpd files and doesn't take raw vtt as input. I'd submit patches but the thing is made of many thousands of lines of monolithic C with almost no documentation. It'd take a couple days just to learn the codebase from reading tests, and this is a ~5hr a week project for me. Far easier to just read the mpd file, modify it, and write it back out.

>the thing is made of many thousands of lines of monolithic C with almost no documentation
how horrifying

Installed Plex server on an old computer, can't complain, especially when watching a movie with subtitles on PS3.

Returned the PS3 to my friend, now I'm using VLC and streaming shit directly from my computer/nas. My phone does all of the transcoding and everything is fine and dandy.

I had to pay $3 for streaming shit from my computer to my phone using Plex.

I can't help you with Kodi/Emby/XBMC. Heard that they behave really well once properly configured.

>plex
>anime

you can specify your own data sources for your anime library in plex. MAL has one setup. though the built in tvdb source is able to parse series just fine. it's kept fairly up to date to with episode descriptions appearing for revue starlight and other currently running series updating within a day or two of the episode airing.

Sonarr pulls from tvdb as well, which is what I have had issues with on stuff like the Monogatari Series thanks to the multitude of names the various arcs and seasons have. I have also had trouble with Sonarr recognizing previously downloaded stuff, even things it downloaded itself when I moved to a new install on another box.
Good to know you can specify data sources, thanks for that info.

get over your autism. fuck even anime experts will disagree over how to properly organize that shit. automation has it's limits and if you want to do it the way you want the only option is manually. then again most people could give less than two shits about that as 1) the monogatari series is shit to begin with (nisiospagetti) 2) most people's time isn't fucking worthless which is why they use automated media managers like plex to begin with

Use a Chromecast. It's $20 and with the correct apps you can watch any stream from the web or your PC

My setup is pretty comfy.
>vm running nzbget, sonarr, radarr, mariadb and kodi-headless
>sonarr and radarr monitor my movies and tv shows and send nzbs over to nzbget as they become available
>sonarr and radarr then put the downloads in properly named folders on my nas, rename the files and add metadata (artwork etc)
>kodi-headless scans the new media to the mariadb database
>other kodi instances all use the same database and have the nas mounted so everything is in sync
>also have an emby instance behind nginx with authentication for watching from outside the lan although i barely use it

A majority of PLEX use is set-top box where there is no need to transcode.

I'm thinking of upgrading my media and moving it to a NAS that i can access from multiple systems.. instead of the rather janky solution i have now of copying things between devices and external drives. But anyway... Plex or Emby, and is it worth investing in the premium option?

Being able to get my media from "anywhere" seems pretty cool. If it wasn't for my ISP crippling my upload speeds.

>gt1030

are you mad? that much just for some shit transcoding? get a fucking gt710/730 used, is more than enough

I am running plex on docker, sickrage for auto tv shows download, movies and animes i do manually.
pretty comfy, but i am getting a lot of trouble to get plex to be directly accessible out of my network, i am going to try runing on my server raw tonight, to see if something change.

i tried Emby, i hated the interface, the media identification is garbage.

i am running on a g3258 and 8gb of ram, the cpu suffer a little, even with catalog scanning. i will get a gpu later to use for transcode and reduce the initial lag when i open a media while others are watching something.

G3258 with 8GB ram user as well here
I don't have any of the issues you're reporting, zero issues on accessing out of my network and my media is accessed from a NAS as well.
I am running it native on Ubuntu Server though, not on Docker

I'm on a G3258 as well, had some issues transcoding sometimes. What file type is recommended? Most of my stuff is .mkv
Will a GPU help that much? Also, should I switch from Windows 7 to Ubuntu? I don't have much experience with Linux, but all I need to be able to do is access my folders from my main desktop (win 10)

Plex is far better at identifying anime shows and transcoding them than Kodi.

Does plex offer the autistic playback quality i get with mpc+madvr?