Switching from Ubuntu

I'm considering make a move to a new Linux distro, because reasons.

What do you retards recommend?

Attached: linus.jpg (300x168, 4K)

Other urls found in this thread:

spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/
torrent.fedoraproject.org/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Xubuntu

>because reasons
Too much of a brainlet to change the GUI?

Install funtoo

I should have mentioned, I'm running Ubuntu already, and I don't really give a shit about the GUI. Gnome is nice, but it doesn't bother me or anything.

Why?

Okay try Lubunutu. Why did this not go into the friendly linux thread?

>Why did this not go into the friendly linux thread?

I guess I'm the retard?

Debian console.
I don't get why ppl use all those shitty forked/derivative distros

Windows 10
Serious answer, Fedora.

I guess. Look, unless you give reasons why you want to switch, we can't really help you. That being said, you don't really need to switch since besides package managers or release cycles, different distributions are basically the same. There's no reason to switch if you're fully content with your existing os

Macos is better than any linux distro. Ubuntu is shit and crashes all the time
>inb4 you installed it wrong
I didnt our genous network department installed it for me

Debian

Why Fedora over Cent when Fedora support lasts like a couple weeks?

OpenSUSE. Also install Gentoo.

Learn something new I guess. I like getting out of my comfort zone

Mint or OpenSUSE

So use a VM and just pick up a few that you've heard about here

Does debian's package manager really have more outdated packages?

this might be the best answer. thanks user

>outdated
Debian Stable is a little old (hence stability)
Debian Unstable is much newer but not suitable for servers, I run unstable on my Alienware laptop just fine with all the latest software

How frequently do you have to fix shit?
I assume on Debian unstable everything is more up to date than Ubuntu

If you really need to use Xubuntu.
But stop wasting your life distrohopping it's a waste if time.

>fix shit
I switched to the unstable branch in summer of 2017, I update daily. It's never broken on me. When there's a new version of Firefox announced, Debian Unstable gets it the next day.

I read on a Debian blog once that the writer claimed Debian's Unstable as more reliable than some other distro's "stable". Makes you think

OpenBSD

Devaun, it's what I would be using if I didn't like Arch so much.

I vote for Debian as well. Since it's possible to make it highly up to date or keep it extremely stable it's pretty much the only distro the world needs, no matter the use case. Unless of course people want to avoid systemd, then it's easier to use a different distro. It's also very popular so there should be packages available more than many other distros have. If you want to install something that requires a wiki to install for your learning purposes then Arch or Gentoo (not with a ready-made 3rd party installer but the real way).

MX-17 Linux

mint werks

I used Ubuntu excusively since 2012 on all my computers, I fucking missed being able to use PhotoShop whenever I wanted.

Now I have each of every OS, natively running on real hardware (no gay passthrough) and couldn't be more happy.

Debian. It’s ubuntu but better / up to date

spins.fedoraproject.org/lxde/
torrent.fedoraproject.org/

outdated =/= stability

Devuan, because reasons

My recommendation is to install Debian. I would describe it as "Ubuntu without training wheels."
Although I will also state that there is unless you have a strong reason why you want to switch, there is no reason to. If you are just trying to play around and have fun with your computer, debian might be a good distro to try that with. Debian Unstable is about as edgy as Arch and if you want to teach yourself some IT skills, that might be a good choice.

never trust the IT at your university or company. I have 2 colleagues in my research group who had Ubuntu installed on their workstations for them and set up with internal IT, while I refused the internal IT and installed debian by myself. My workstation has had no uptime issues, while both of them get regular crashing.

Thats obviously the IT departments fault

install gentoo

Debian unstable is the best choice. It's not even hard, you just have to sudo apt-get install [DE or WM of your choice].

Is anyone else not getting kernel updates lately on Ubuntu 16.04?

"Stable" relates to the versions of software not changing. It has nothing to do with how bug-ridden or crashy Debian is.

>Stable
that's misleading then
should be called Stale

op here's a tip - all those install debian replies you get are ruses, you should --never-- install debian without testing it first

I installed linux mint and reinstalled ubuntu after 1 day.
If it works don't bother changing.

Try Siduction. Basically Debian Sid, but well maintained and stable as fuck

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

Attached: 1533571900324.jpg (1800x1200, 966K)