New to RHEL and BASH

I'm currently a Sr System Administrator in a Windows environment.

I want/need to learn RHEL and BASH. Whats the easiest way to learn these. I have access to VMs that I can blow up if needed.

Any suggestions on books, movies, youtube, torrents, etc.. I can expense out any books I need, my work is cool like that.

Thanks

Attached: RHEL.png (361x140, 3K)

Other urls found in this thread:

scribd.com/document/348500307/RHEL-7-RHCSA-and-RHCE-Certification-Study-Guide
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/bash-4.4-patches/
docs.oracle.com/cd/E19683-01/806-7612/6jgfmsvrq/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Unix shell programming by Stephen Kochan(?) has been ``the standard" since 1999.

I would play around with quite a few distro's in VM's. I personally wouldn't use Gentoo for a work related server, but it is fantastic for learning how linux works from the ground up.

There are lots of good red hat cert books.

You're a Senior Administrator and you don't know how to research things? Must be nice, being you know, retarded. I mean even RHEL has a cert, so how hard is it to use google?

We’re a windows shop going the Linux route, RHEL was the distro.

I have a VM set up already and just been going through basic BASH commands to start.

eh shell is dead. You're better off learning systemd. Bash was really only used as startup scripts for run-control services and they have been deprecated in favor of systemd unit files.

Doing touch any linux distro other than RHEL, CentOS or Fedora. Most of everything else is a meme and a waste of time, especially for you, no matter what the autists from here may claim.

Go through RedHats docs, they are some of the best in the industry and will thoroughly teach you their stack and its best practices. You may also find it helpful to look through materials that people use to study for getting RedHat certifications.

Wow who'd a thunk that Red Hat's documentation and Certification would be the best way to learn Red Hat. All this time...

>Doing touch any linux distro other than RHEL, CentOS or Fedora. Most of everything else is a meme and a waste of time, especially for you, no matter what the autists from here may claim.
damn debian/ubuntu fags and gentoo/arch autists btfo

Those are hobby distros, I though this was well known.

I use Fedora as my daily driver because I wanted to learn how to do things the RedHat way and it's been a great way to do so. That being said I would suggest you try running CentOS on a VM and play around. Also Red Hat offers good documentation but if you are going to be going deep in RHEL I suggest you learn systemd. Systemd is the preffered way to configure your machine. Bash is deprecated and if your company is going to deploy RHEL then you better know systemd.

I thought Ubuntu was THE distro to learn since it's the most widely used

>how hard is it to use google
>use google
Fuck off, no one's gonna take advice from a faggot who suggests using Jewgle.

There's a bit of a difference between "how to install minecraft server on linux" and learning everything a Senior Sysad would need to know.
For the latter, a guided lesson plan or book is much more efficient.

scribd.com/document/348500307/RHEL-7-RHCSA-and-RHCE-Certification-Study-Guide
You're welcome.

Debian isn't a hobby distro.
Ubuntu is.

Still, Debian isn't nearly as widely used as it once was.

everything you wrote is wrong.

The point he was making was that a certification exists.
If a cert exists in IT you KNOW there is gonna be a bunch of study guides for it.

>paywalled
not OP, but want to see the whole guide. Could you please share it in a pastebin?

You're a system admin that has no idea how to find resources on the most widely used corporate linux distribution know to man. That makes me sad, that you managed to get certified as a Windows admin but you can't simply figure out where to start with RHEL, they literally have free resources. Thats why I told you to use google, because you're that fucking retarded. What ever company hired you is wasting their money, when they could easily find a more resourceful candidate. Even middle school graduates could have figured out the answer to your ass questions.

Ubuntu is the OSX/Windows of Linux. You don't really have to learn anything in them. What you'd need to learn to be proficient is Bash Scripting. I recommend "The Bash Guide" by Joseph Deveau. Its great for noobs, straight forward to get you started, and can be completed in 2 hours if you're not as stupid as OP.

why isn't it used as much for servers, which has always been stable's main use case? Is that because Canonical started catering and marketing Ubuntu for the {server,cloud,etc}?

You would definitely have a hard time installing Minecrap on linux, since you can't find the RHEL guide on their OWN fucking website.

You're correct, Debian is not a hobby distro, I was pointing mainly to Ubuntu. Debian is fucking goat.

>everything you wrote is wrong.
wtf do you use bash scripting for?

Since I'm on rant about retards, this is the WORST advice in the entire thread and is completely false. Ignore this faggot. He has no idea what Bash is.

>2018 still bash scripting
Learn a fucking real language.

I know many, and I also know as a Unix Admin that Bash is still widely used. I'm going to assume you're unemployed. Because an employed person utilizes many tools, not one.

>Sr System Administrator in a Windows environment.
>doesnt know how to self teach
lel

literal retard right here

how would ubuntu be a hobby distro. that distro is already built with a DE and fully functional everything, I don't think you refer to hobby distro with the same terms as I do

>and I also know as a Unix Admin that Bash is still widely used.
haha no. Only slobs still use that old ass shit.
I've not written a bash script since pre-RHEL 7 days.

HOLY FUCK lol. Wow. Please be bait. my sides like wow. Bash is the most widely used in Unix/Linux admin jobs. Even windows uses WSL just for bash as of recent.

Goddamn is summer over yet?

lotta samefaggin' in this thread.

I'm done with you. You're the most retarded person I've encountered on this board ever. Just stop posting.

stop samefaggin' the thread.
It's been stuck at 12 posters forever now.

Fuck off nigger. You don't even work in IT. You need to do your parents a favor and commit a self abortion.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-07 at 10.55.57 PM.png (339x99, 20K)

still at 12 ;)

That's because they are all laughing at you.

Yea there are 12 posters. Yay. You're an idiot.

Says the guys who administers Unix like its 2005.
Hell even Solaris killed rc shell scripts in 2005.
Learn python move away from shitty shell scripting.

Even Sander Van gugethag says don't waste your time with learning bash.

Holy fuck this thread is fucking garbage.

OP, you're best bet for learning RHEL on your own is to run CentOS in a VM. It's binary compatible with RHEL, they just strip out all the branding. Play around with bash, it's the default shell and knowing how to use it will never be a waste of time. It's helpful to know a bit about Systemd as it sits at the heart of the distro and is responsible for many different things like daemon control and logging. Practice simple things like configuring a network interface or setting up a service. Familiarize yourself with RPMs and how they're managed.

There's a ton of documentation out there on both RHEL & CentOS.

I guess we just have to retards like you exist. Real admins know when to use Bash. You, you'll never know.

..and I misspoke, Hell even in 2005 you had a library of Perl scripts. You are administering Unix like the late 80's and very early 90's.

>Real admins know when to use Bash
Real admins never used Bash (ksh was default on REAL UNIX) and most kept away from it in favor of Perl.

Yet Bash is still the default.

?? Bash has been the default for all Unix systems for a while. Where are you getting your information? You can literally use any UNIX compliant system and it defaults to bash.

Haha wow. I can't believe these people exist.

You mean Real Admins? Yeah, us greybeards still exist. As you are clearly a newish Linux admin I can assure you bash is dead.

Claiming to be a greybeard but advocating writing scripts in a non-POSIX compliant language? Go fuck yourself.

Linux? I'm UNIX guy. What are you on FreeBSD? because that uses csh. Infact, Ksh is rarely used and in most systems and Bash is the single MOST used. You can find info on this by reading the fucking manual to your system. Bash may be old, but it is far from deprecated.

Its still even being developed.
ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/bash-4.4-patches/

I have a feeling you're not a person interested in shell scripting. I don't even prefer bash and I'm not as stupid as you.

Dude... just stop. You have no idea what you're talking about.

>BASH
>Portable.
I think you are confusing bourne shell and bourne again shell. Look up BASHism and learn young one.

>I'm UNIX guy.
You're a new Unix guy.
The default user shell on solaris 10 was NOT BASH.

I really wish the mods would ban you. This is just pathetic. Nice troll.

I didn't say bash was POSIX compliant, but I know sure as shit Perl isn't. Personally I really don't give a fuck what language anyone uses as long as it works in the environment it's targeted for.

You're a long way off from satori, neckbeard.

docs.oracle.com/cd/E19683-01/806-7612/6jgfmsvrq/index.html
You've never used Solaris, have you?

time to blow the fuck out of the thread
Solaris advance users guide.

Attached: myimage.png (1367x393, 20K)

Solaris give you options, like most systems.

Yeah, default shell is /bin/sh not fucking BASH you fucking retard. It even talks about changing it to c or ksh. most moved on to ksh88 and solaris 11 includes ksh93. So eat shit.

Did you read it though? Bash is still used.

You said bash was deprecated, which is false. You also said most systems use ksh, which is FALSE.

Yeah, bash is installed; along with other shells.
So fucking what? it's not default. It wasn't even installed by default until the late 2000's early 2000's and you had to install it with the SunFreeware CD.

Sorry newbs. ksh was in SVR4 based unix's (hp-ux, solaris, aix) before bash. Bash was poor man's GNU shit.

Attached: myimage.png (953x472, 65K)

>2000
Okay dinosaur, I think you need to reeducate for the modern generation.

>dinosaur
Says the guy who still writes Bash.

Bash is still the most widely used shell in Unix systems.

big ol' citation needed.
But really if you're still writing bash scripts you need to be replaced or sent to continuing education.

Sure. Agree to disagree then. I'm sorry you're not into Unix administration.

>I'm sorry you're not into Unix administration.
Says the guy that was surprised to see you only had 3 shells (bourne, korn, C) up until late solaris 10.
Just take your ass whippin' little Linux Lad.

Here's an orelly Learning UNIX SYSVR4 edition.
Notice the lack of bash while learning shells?

Attached: myimage.png (779x774, 109K)

Oh look
>the three most popular shells.
No bash there.

Attached: myimage.png (1079x696, 72K)

Oh my, which shell is right for you?
>ksh

Attached: myimage.png (1020x516, 123K)

not one of the peeps in the argument, but you won fair and square on the technicality that the /Bourne Again SHell/ is not the Bourne Shell, although a lot of people treat it as if it was.

It would be a similar mistake to think that vim is the default unix editor and not vi.

>nb4 ed is the stan...

>System V
Its not the 80s anymore grandma.

Jesus, can you be any more retarded?

Attached: myimage.png (336x398, 28K)

So thats 1 system. Apple is UNIX, they use bash by default. So whats you're point?

Mmmhmmm...

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-08 at 12.10.39 AM.png (268x146, 25K)

>so that's one system.
SVR4 was hp-ux, solaris, aix, tru64...etc.
Essentially the whole fucking unix industry.

And released as licensed source code to all SysVR4 players. (ie the whole fucking industry)

lol
>1980s
>1990s
>1980s
>1980s
I wasn't even alive then. Lets talk about modern Systems.

>Lets talk about modern Systems.
Ok, here's a modern SysVR4 system

Thats 1 system from the 80s. Just because they acquired it in 2009, doesn't make it modern. Still waiting for a recent unix compliant system.

Ok, You have no idea what you're talking about.
You take care kiddies; I know it's summer (obviously) but don't stay up too late.

I'll leave you with the dtksh used in CDE.

Attached: myimage.png (1226x685, 78K)

Here's another modern SysVR4

Attached: myimage.png (355x240, 27K)

>80s.
Come on grandma, I know you can find a modern system.

AIX?
c'mon user I'm running out of Real UNIX systems.

Attached: myimage.png (850x102, 20K)

Fine. I'll concede. System V (Pure) Unix systems didn't have bash as default. But you really should look into modern compliant systems. Bash lives and is still widely used. I'd shake you're hand if I could.

Also you've could of schooled me easier with Solaris 11.3. 10 is old dude.

nope. That's when they went full retard and made bash the default user shell. Linux ruins everything.

Attached: myimage.png (887x267, 14K)

Ah, We're taught to use Solaris, so Bash is kinda taught to us as a default tool. I'd love to learn more about it but the money (for some reason) is in hiring bash scripters. Why do you think they abandoned ksh or csh? They seem similar enough to keep it as default.

>movies

Jurassic Park. Specifically the "It's a UNIX system" part.

>Why do you think they abandoned ksh or csh? They seem similar enough to keep it as default.
Nooo, ksh is ATT code and C shell is BSD code; they function nothing alike.
solaris didn't abandon ksh they abandoned bourne shell as korn shell 93 is fully backwards compatible with bourne shell they just made /bin/ksh93 a symlink to /bin/sh so if you write a POSIX shell script with the /bin/sh shebang you will use ksh93 as the interpreter.

bash is still really an interactive shell and not a scripting shell in Solaris. I think they made bash the interactive shell because many use GNU/Linux as th eintro to Unix likes nowadays.