What can you learn with a Raspberry PI?

What can you learn with a Raspberry PI?

Attached: yourgod.jpg (1920x1080, 1.15M)

how to waste money

How to invest money on better things

Linux networking or random pointless IOT shit

you can learn quite a bit, actually. depending on what you already know, you can learn how to use Linux in the console (not a whole lot, but enough to set it up and install some applications), you can make scratch games if you want to teach someone very basic coding, and it's good for learning python. you can play the Minecraft game pre-installed and even change it's coding for neat results.

of course this is only what comes with raspian, you can do all kinds of things with it (ie. diy webserver, media server, retro game player(play most games mentioned on /vr/), use it as a home media center and much more.)

it's a great purchase and I'd recommend it. I own the raspi 3 model /b/ and it's pretty nice and useful for lots of things. even if you only use it once and a while it's much cheaper than to buy anything comparable (with a few exceptions)

Jesus are we having this thread /again/?

Ok, things you can do with a Raspberry Pi:
Hifi audio server for bitperfect playback, without any mechanical noise from hard disk spins or fans. Look into Volumio for a prepackaged distro, or 24bit96.com for how to build it yourself from scratch.
Turn it into a docker server to store files and generally learn how both docker and networking work, always a useful skill.
Install Pihole and have a network-wide adblocker that speeds up browsing
Turn it into a Tor exit node and/or a bridge for Tor connections to both learn how Tor works and secure yourself to a higher degree.
Use it as an IRC bot, or any kind of bot for that matter.
Turn it into a seedbox to always be seeding torrents for private trackers.
Plug in a camera and hide it somewhere for security (or to spy on roasties)
Hide it in a public place and scan for handshakes on wifi networks.
Use it as a general playground for new shit like distros (arch, gentoo) or possible alterations to distros you want to test run before applying to a more important device, if you lack a laptop for that already.

Hifi audio server for bitperfect playback, without any mechanical noise from hard disk spins or fans. Look into Volumio for a prepackaged distro, or 24bit96.com for how to build it yourself from scratch.
Turn it into a docker server to store files and generally learn how both docker and networking work, always a useful skill.
Turn it into a Tor exit node and/or a bridge for Tor connections to both learn how Tor works and secure yourself to a higher degree.
Use it as a general playground for new shit like distros (arch, gentoo) or possible alterations to distros you want to test run before applying to a more important device, if you lack a laptop for that already.

oh shit someone posted my own copy pasta before I did

Fun and easy to write some arm assembler and make your own simple OS.

It's an entire computer. It's small and power efficient. It's somewhat limited in power. You can run things on it without it plugged into peripherals. You can ssh into it from another computer to interact with it.

this
and this

Get an Asus tinkerbox for emulation, or a Pine64 for a NAS or an Odroid for anything that requires more juice and transfer speeds.
The only thing that pishits have is a larger community, but if you want a better unit, those three I mentioned are top tier for the specific project with enough documentation to set it up.

fpbp

>Get an Asus tinkerbox for emulation
And of course here comes the retard claiming something with zero community support is better because muh gaymes

I wanted to make a little security box with a Pi.

Basically I wanted to detect motion with a webcam, start recording when there is motion, and send an alert to my phone+stream the video to my phone whenever motion is detected.

I've seen a couple of projections on how to do similar things, but it is all local network and without motion detection or phone alerts. Anyone have any ideas about how I would do this?

>And here's the uninformed retard, pulling shit out of his ass, that doesn't know that retropi has been fully ported over to the tinkerbox by the devs
Kill your fucking self.

>0 community support because brainlets like you don't contribute shit, yet complain about "support"

It's a shit pasta

>Audio
Niche use case that requires appropriate hardware
> Docker
Docker for storage? What?
Also niche use, and if you value your sanity, don't learn docker. I've worked with it in a professional capacity and I'm left with only hate for those responsible for creating that monster.
> Pihole
Maybe, but for most people a browser extension is enough and not worth the hassle
> Tor exit note
Don't unless you like talking to cops a lot. Bridge node - maybe, but still might get you in trouble.
> Bots
Most people don't need those
> Seedbox
Illegal in a lot of places
> Camera
Maybe, though using it to spy on people is illegal in most places
> Scanning wi-fi traffic
For what purpose?
> Testing ground
Just use VMs on your main computer

>I'm left with only hate for those responsible for creating that monster
At least one of them atoned

Most people don't buy a Pi either, fag.

>muh gaymes
kindly throw yourself off the tallest building in your area

>niche
>worth the hassle
>most people
>a lot of places
>purpose
you literally didn't refute a single point faggot

Pretty much this.

I used a few as a class project to setup a cluster and my professor asked why I'm not employed yet.

>Literally jumping into a conversation with no reading comprehension
KYS

>Computer designed to be able to be educational
>Most people just ran out and bought it like dumb sheeple, and use it to play shitty old games

its designed to teach soldering, electronic engineering, programming and operating systems

> Internet gives an access to the babylonian library v2.0, now with pictures and videos
> most people use it to debate with retards and watch funny videos on youtube

Check what thread you're in retard.
Because he didn't make a one. He listed a bunch of things and I pointed out that they're all very specific use cases. People who knew they wanted to do things like that wouldn't be making these dumb threads.

>cluster

What did you used your cluster for? Also what OS did you run?

i needed to buy one for school

based

this is only true if you are retarded, so thanks for confirming :)

Anyone have RPi0?
Is it feasible to use it as chromecast replacement?

That you should've used a NUC instead of a raspberry pi for your home media server.

Rasp Pi is a nice dev board for embedded electronic project, for me it was the cheapest (by very far) solution for a programmable high speed data acquisition board, online docs is also pretty extensive.

You wont get very far though because of the closed hardware without docs.

I had to look it up on archive. If you did indeed make this copypasta (I noticed that it just evolved recently and no one really posts it, so it's believable that you made it) then thank you for doing so. There was another long post about options but I couldn't find it. With this I was able to search "Jesus are we having this thread /again/?" As that was the only part I remember. I will continue to post it in every raspberry pi thread (unless you get to it first).

make a clock

Attached: 1523135176436.jpg (575x397, 36K)

based

Unironically this. Bought thinking I'd build a ton of stuff, built nothing, regret buying this for over a year, gave it to a friend for free

What did your friend do with it?

idk, but he was at least as excited as I was when I got it. It was 2 days ago or so. If he isn't lazy as I am, maybe he will actually build something. I miss my 100 bucks tho

I learned how to set one up with ssh and VNC viewer. Seems kind of required with it. I'm not going to go out and buy a monitor, keyboard and mouse for a $40 computer. I wanted to host a shared drive for my scanner, but didn't factor in linux drivers. Potential solution involved QEMU, virtualization and a chroot environment.

I used mine to basically learn a lot of running linux as a server, all the command line use and such. It was really fun learning.

100 bucks?

BRL. A dollar is like 4 BRL. Would be 25 bucks

How to sniff your neighbors packets.

you can learn you just wasted money on a worthless little underpowered gadget

you can run it headless and without mouse & keyboard, just plug it in to the router with ethernet cable, and ssh in to it, maybe plug a usb external drive in it and use it as a file server

Oh. Thought you bought with LED display and all.

Fuck I get asked this all the time
t. NEET

>I've worked with it in a professional capacity and I'm left with only hate for those responsible for creating that monster.
What kind of problems have you had? I use it at work and I like it a lot.

>try to make web server
>connecting from another computer makes it look blank
>change address and can't connect to the page anymore

Attached: 1532789668217.jpg (576x494, 55K)

that ARM is shit and only good for being a low power cellphone processor arch.