Programmer No More

I'm sick of being a programmer, I want a career change.

Being a programmer is a sickeningly bad job. Most programmers are actually shit at their job. Most managers are clueless. Most product owners are out of touch with reality. Most projects are doomed from the outset. Most tools are broken. Being in the top 25%, I am aware of all these problems but unable to change anything. Most people are unaware of these problems and therefore don't care. I look difficult and fussy. In reality I am the only person producing passable outcomes.

Being a programmer is like being a carpenter, only all your tools are slightly broken, there are no plans, no regulations, the wood is on fire and your fellow carpenters don't even know that wood comes from trees.

I've worked in large cooperates where no one knows what's going on and everything eventually turns cancerous. I've worked in small places where everything is broken and controlled by gatekeepers. Programming is a fools career choice. Only fools can remain sane.

Having said all of this I have a family to provide for, so I can't go back to school or work as an apprentice. I need something that pays at least averagely.

I'm considering maybe working in IT support. Possibly IT recruitment? IT sales? Maybe as a business analyst. Maybe an embedded C job? Maybe a marketing agency?

Does anyone have any suggestions for programming related careers? Are there any sane, high quality careers left in computing?

Attached: sane_man_1998.png (350x250, 55K)

tldr

Welcome to the club.
No, there is no hope. IT is even worse. Low paid and highly vulnerable to automation.
I'm also planning a career change. Not only do I need to get out of this madness, but it is also that employers only demand young grads without experience. Beyond 30 most companies ghost you.
My options now are either to study for public servant, which here happen to be the only good jobs, or start a small business. I hate both because I hate having to deal with people.

Send mailbombs to people causing the problem while living in the woods

fuck off illiterate

electrical engineering, just fuck computers.

>I'm sick of being a programmer, I want a career change.
happens to most of us when we get past 30. just become team/product manager. or say fuck it, live from your savings for one year then start your own small software firm that sells niche software (no, not freelancing - freelancing is just another form of slavery). I'm making from $5k to $10k a month with some super niche desktop software while almost all my ex colleagues are still employed and hate their lives.
best thing: I only really work like 3 months in a year for support and maintenance. rest is essentially chilling in my garden and shitposting. I have no annoying family/gf so I can keep all the money I'm making. fuck my life is great

>Most tools are broken.
Fucking this.

>Maybe an embedded C job?
I've read a good amount of embedded systems horror stories on here and I also experienced a few myself. If you want to stay sane, embedded is probably not the right way.

FUCKING THIS. I'm planning on doing the same. Good you made it.

I kinda ended up in embedded this past few months. And nothing really changed from other programming jobs

there's not really much to "make it". just find a niche and write something that's better than the overpriced shitty fuck people currently use.
might involve some trial and error but after a few tries you're pretty much guaranteed to find something that works.
best bonus: you can move to rural bumfuck with living costs lower than in africa and your $60k which couldn't buy you a cardbox in one of the "tech hubs" suddenly become a lot of money

>Being a programmer is a sickeningly bad job.
So like most jobs? Grass is always greener my dude. If you're in the US, software dev > many other jobs in terms of pay, benefits, etc. I hate my job currently but even I can say that's it's objectively better than the vast majority of what my friends and family are doing. I can also find another job relatively quickly too if need be.

Attached: 1515504942034.jpg (1000x707, 539K)

Damn, so IT support is even worse? Fuck that was one of my options.

>niche software
I'm not sure what you meant by that

>work 3 months
Sounds too good to be true.

Attached: 1533073087878.png (853x482, 433K)

>study for public servant
brasileiro detected

public service has maybe 1 or 2 positions for IT, its best to apply for undergrad law positions that pays almost the same, but offers tens of slots, the brieft law content is easy to study, only the stamper desk jobs sucks a little but since its so mindless you can just endure it 9-5 and program at home as a hobby.. its actually fucking great

Freelancing is slavery? Why?

Become a programming teacher. You get to nurture the ones who are cut out for it, shut out the ones who aren't, and spend a lot of time doing your own work while students work on projects.

What about those people that made a change of career and started searching for a job in programming at 30?

They got sold a lie and got ripped off at a "Coding Bootcamp". They will be competing with the graduates and juniors. They will come to the same realisation as other programmers, just a lot later.

If only such a job existed.

>Maybe an embedded C job?
Trust me, you don't want to do this if you're tired of bad programmers and shitty managers.

t. embedded developer

I don't understand, there are people that never went to an expensive bott camp.. And there will be demand for programmers in the near future.

OP, I can say that IT support is not that bad as long as you can find the right position. I work for an Italian fashion company as their US Director of IT in their corporate office in NYC. Everyone here has no idea what is going on, thinks I'm a genius because I can figure out that when the CEOs phone is "not working" you just need to turn up the volume on the ringer.
Occasionally I do something interesting with our SQL or Exchange server, but it's mostly brain-dead work. A lot of the time I don't do anything at all. Like right now for example.
With a wife and a kid, this work is not what I would call fulfilling, but it is slightly better than programming, because even though most of what I do is brain-dead, at least I am keeping the company running in its day to day operations instead of hopeless projects. And I can afford to live in Manhattan.

>embedded C job
This is way worse than regular software development in every way

he means making software that is too small to be interesting to a large corporation, but can support you as an individual.

For example, there might not be software to track and record your bad dragon dildo collection. No company wants to waste their time on such a small niche when they could be making large scale shit that makes them millions, but there are dildo enthusiasts who will buy it if you make it.

>For example, there might not be software to track and record your bad dragon dildo collection

um excuse me sweaty

Attached: sheets.jpg (1027x971, 77K)

Have you tried doing it for any considerable length of time? Your clients are typically like any other manager, except somehow even more technically inept.

And yet apps that track people's diets and yoga workouts are highly successful. Normies are retarded, and will absolutely pay you for putting a coat of paint on a spreadsheet.

>not wanting software that already has a comprehensive information database of dragon dildos, which can detect and catalogue them from photos and has extensive social media integration

Is the same true of the 2nd tier support IT jobs? Those are the sort of things I think I could get.

No no, never.
But it is not a good thing working in any place in the world you like to live and not going to office everyday?
Working for someone in a company is like slavery too any way, or not?

>employers only demand young grads without experience
wtf, where are you from?
I live in Poland and every employer demands a couple of years of experience from guys fresh out of university. Even getting the first internship is a huge pain in the ass, I barely got one this summer, out of like 50 offers i was applying to, and on the last week before July.

Attached: timetowhy.jpg (500x504, 30K)

It's definitely better than office work in many ways. If you want true freedom, though, establishing a passive income is the way to go.

Ah, so you're new and don't know what we're talking about yet? You are the juniors and grads that produce problems for people like me.

Try to work for an IT consultants firm, or as a small/limited staffed office. The more IT people a company has the worse it gets. I worked my way up from T1 IT phone support hell, and have seen many tiers in between. Too many cooks is bad for stress.

Oh and don't be afraid to apply to higher positions. Make sure you talk about how much you know about Active Directory, and shit like that. The head hunters these companies higher almost never know anything besides a list of requests the company has.

Switch to consultant.
Earn more to watch other people stand in burning houses they are trying to put out by pouring on gasoline.
Have a nice talk with them every day, present ideas that sound great to management and lead to endless yesbuts from IT who, as always, claims to already know about that (until you mildly probe their supposed knowledge) and have neither time nor money to fix things.

I dont get it. If you are so great, why arent you a manager?

>I'm so bad that employer would rather recruit a fresh uni grad with zero experience than me

>Being a programmer is a sickeningly bad job. Most programmers are actually shit at their job. Most managers are clueless. Most product owners are out of touch with reality. Most projects are doomed from the outset. Most tools are broken. Being in the top 25%, I am aware of all these problems but unable to change anything. Most people are unaware of these problems and therefore don't care. I look difficult and fussy. In reality I am the only person producing passable outcomes.
You can apply this to literally any job

This. Everyone on the planet loves bragging about how bad their jobs are when they don't realize just how many other jobs are SO, so much worse with significantly less pay.

And they have the fucking nerve to spout this shit while bringing in 80k+ a year. God I'm so sick of hearing it.

you could also work "hard" for 2-3 year and then invest in passive money gain, and finally not need to work at all

AGILE
PROGRAMMING

How ? Investing in stocks?
I will need to be a slave for decades in order to generate that pasive income, and the problem is that the markets are in its record high.
Is there another alternative?

I'd honestly be surprised if OP wasn't larping. Who the fuck works in software and thinks that IT support is going to be any better? Either that or he's such a shitter that the only job he could find was at his local pajeet sweat shop.

Attached: 1533476567055.jpg (800x1200, 111K)

>I'd honestly be surprised if OP wasn't larping.
I think he is, he's probably trying to troll poor college students that want to become programmers.

>Who the fuck works in software and thinks that IT support is going to be any better?
Literally no one.

That should've been the biggest giveaway. Also the fact they're in the supposed 'top 25%'.

buy house/flat and rent them

IT support has more Pajeets and autists than programming

Sometimes I think I should go put my computer skills to good use and make money with them, but then I remember how shitty and depressing the corporate tech culture is, and how comfortable I am being a NEET, despite not being able to buy some things.

>tfw someone gets paid $50k+ a year for doing the same things I do for my dad for free

How do I even get a job

Cool, 30 years of savings

switch to FOSS and program as a hobby.
You will come back to it.
As for a career change, try sysadmin. most of it is managing servers and handling idiot employees (if you're unlucky).

realistically your only career trajectories at this point outside of IT are management and recruitment. if you are considering IT or devops you have to be aware those disciplines have their own share of broken windows you have to live with. as you have a family my suggestion would be to suck it up and be a man. no one likes working, period--but ya got bills to pay and mouths to feed.

Wondering if going "full stack" web development is the solution. Sounds like shit to me but there is demand.

"Full stack" means "we want a development team but could only afford to hire one guy, so we overwhelm him with all the work of an entire team instead"

>No, there is no hope. IT is even worse. Low paid and highly vulnerable to automation.

I would not hire anyone this clueless to anything substantial in computing. Looks like you got your education from facebook news.

>overwhelm him with all the work of an entire team
b-but that's my experience as a non-web software engineer :(

OTOH if you are the only guy there, have enough understanding of the whole stack and can procure the actual requirements of the project then you can cut a lot of corners and deliver.

The bigger the team gets the more you need abstraction between system components and the more you suffer communication overhead.

There's no problem in being the critical part of development as long as your salary reflects your irreplaceability and your level of responsibility. Usually they don't though.

If you designed the system and are the critical developer you have lots of leverage in any salary negotiations.

>tfw 30-year-old boomer in midst of career change to software dev
I hope I don't end up hating my job like you guys

Attached: 1518937679215.png (656x755, 57K)

I got to a similar realization after only 2 years of working in a corporate shithole, not sure how other companies are like. Programming is fun but this just seems ike an all-around miserable career choice. No idea what I would change it to, I'm not fit for a consultant so all I'm left with is networking or something

man this sounds great, I work maintaining Magento extensions and I want to kill myself everyday, it is such a clusterfuck, between the poorly programmed bug plagued extensions (by """senior""" engineers) and the 15 clueless pajeets a day that barely write english I have to give support for I don't know what is fucking worse
The thing is, I have been 2 years at this and I haven't been able to get a job at anything non-programming related in this time, not to mention most of those jobs pay shit anyway.

I think it would be fucking great if I could program make some time to write some niche software and live from that without any bosses or pressure from anyone, but I don't know what the fuck to make that doesn't exist already

Attached: 1516526370434.png (747x491, 30K)

>networking
Networking can be great but most jobs are the lowest tier of pajeet tier support that pays shit and they get you overworked with (the ones you get with those shitty worthless cisco certs)
I think to get a comfortable interesting job in this field it is almost mandatory to be a networking or telecommunications engineer, and some luck.

I'm a US merchant marine and I want a career change to CSM or MIS.

I just want to fuck with servers all day desu. This working yourself to death physically all the time shit and never being home kills you.