/spg/ - Smartphone General

Meizu 16 and 16 Plus Edition

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual phone size comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: Meizu-16-1024x735.jpg (1024x735, 37K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gsmarena.com/results.php3?sFreeText=hdr10
youtu.be/hMf-qjmALAM
wccftech.com/xiaomi-mi-mix-3-specs-leak-oled-screen-569-price/
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8967#show
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

What's the most affordable smartphone with 10bit HDR screen?

kimovil.com isn't very good at searching that feature.

here
gsmarena.com/results.php3?sFreeText=hdr10

Cheapest ones would be Mi8 SE, XZ1 and LG G6, all three can be found for around 300€

Nice, thanks.

Now we just need Google and Apple to Agree on a new 10Bit lossy image format which neither of them gets butthurt about and exclude from their camera encoding.

JPEG needs to fucking die and be replaced already. It's insane how no one is prioritising this. Whereas movie codecs have been modernised with high priority.

Attached: 1381889244713.jpg (336x231, 14K)

Mi Max 3 I suppose. It's virtually a Redmi Note 5, with dual speakers and a 5500 mAh battery.

Oh man, my Nexus 4 finally died and now I have to suffer the pain of buying a new phone.

any flat phones? i hate curvy phones, something like the razer phone would be sick.
>México
>Telcel
>Need sd card slot, headphone jack, 18:9 1080p at least, finger print scanner on the back.
>Close to stock android
>No budget but it would be cool if its less than 600 if possible
>water resiste>water proof whatever.

Sony XZ1 / XZ1 Compact? Not 18:9 though.

for me its the s9

Attached: 1531417900827.jpg (1000x1000, 1.35M)

my oneplus 6 beats it

So is this gonna be an OLED screened Pixel 2 with a bezel carved into a notch. Shave that chin. What the freak do we need notches and chins for? Innovate away the bezels. Notches are training wheels for bezlers. Get this better,like, fuckin right now GOOGLE!! Haha

?

Bewomikabe BoOMBIKOO BoOMBIKOO BoOMBIKOOBoOMBIKOOBoOMBIKOOBoOMBIKOO

Xaomi MI A1 any good? The specs seem great for the price (64gb/4gb Ram - $192 unlocked) and it has stock android (minus a few Xaomi apps iirc).
I was considering the Moro G5 plus but the Xaomi seems better.

Redmi Note 5 is a better buy for ~$200. Has plenty of custom ROMs if you don't want to use MIUI, there's even a fully working port of Android Pie.

Xperia XA2 and XA2 Plus. (Plus version isn't out yet)
If you don't mind the fingerprint sensor being on the side instead of back then (ordered by release date):
Xperia Z5
Xperia X or X Performance
Xperia XZ or XZ Premium
Xperia XZ1

>Redmi Note 5
>micro USB in a 2018
No, Redmi line is their budget tier devices hacked together with leftover parts. Mi A1 is better than Redmi Note 5 and isn't oversized.

I noticed it has a 7 inch screen.

Useful for youtube and gaming, but can that shit even fit into the pocket?

Attached: 1334973225915.png (188x140, 25K)

Just get a redmi note 5. Its not a meme

Was for

>Mi A1 is better
Redmi Note 5 has much better performance (SD636 vs SD625), better battery life (1000mah more capacity) and better cameras. No annoying background hiss from the audio jack that the Mi A1 has either.

Not a fan of the notch and the 4gb... What better upgrade can I go from my og xl?

Attached: Screenshot_20180808-073303(1).jpg (1267x1111, 463K)

Regular pixel3 is looking nice, it's basically a smaller 2xl. Alternatively, op6 or 6t.

My only gripe is the size. I don't typically like phones this big. 5" is the sweet spot but I'd settle for the 5.5" A1. The 6" Note 5 is over the top.

Looking for bigger size than my pixel xl... Might have to see what 6t offers

iPhone X Plus, Note 9, LG G7+, P20 Pro

>hurr micro usb
It's like you enjoy expending money on cables.

18:9 6" == 16:9 5"
OP 6

>6''
Enjoy carrying a backpack just for your phone
>SD 636 and better camera
You're thinking of Note 5 Pro, not Note 5. Note 5 is basically a larger A1 without USB C.

Hey guys is a new xz1 compact for USD$330 worth it? It's a year old by now but literally the only decent compact android.

Pros:
>Not HUEG
>headphone jack
>SD card
>Stereo speakers
>Dank battery life
Cons:
>A year old
>Pita to root/unlock bl
>Not stocc android
>No double tap to wake (this is good shit)
>Meh camera

Wondering if it's worth for the price. Do I even have any alternatives? I like the look of pixel3 but I'd be giving up so many pros of the xz1 for rootability and stock Android.

Attached: Sony-Xperia-XZ1-Compact-Review-TI.jpg (680x453, 54K)

>Xperia XA2
Have one, can vouch for it.

Damn nifty little device.

mUSB is shit and everything is moving to USB C. There's no point in having incompatible cables just because a shit budget device.

It has a 720p display

Did Xiaomi ever increase the build quality of RMN5 from the RMN3? The build quality on the note 3 was complete dogshit, and was prone to bending or the aluminum denting easily. Everyone likes shilling the Note 5 here, so I don't want to fall for the shitty meme again.
>in b4 "hurr stop being an ape with your phone"

I'm fine with that, been using a z3c for 3.5 years now so I'm used to it. Plus on such a small screen it's good enough. And dat battery savings tho

I already have a metric ton of cables and chargers for this standard. Why would I spend more on new cables, my consumerist sheep?
USB C brings basically nothing new to the table.

The build quality was improved in the note 4

>USB C brings basically nothing new to the table
Reversible.

Not the one you quoted, but the 4GB/64GB Note 5 has the 636 too.

If you really want a small phone the yes it's a good deal, but as someone who was a fan of small phones and felt like a retard when I got used to a 5.5" phone i would suggest you get something bigger

Note 5 Pro is the pajeet name for Note 5

>i'm too dumb connect a usb jack the right way
And you make fun of pajeets, kek.

the phones are practically the same size

Attached: A1vsRN5.png (815x822, 547K)

*5.5"

>pita
Does thia mean pain? Fucking zoomers

Why do all smartphones look the same

where is it $330? But yeah it is definitely worth it. Security updates come monthly and it should get updated from Oreo to Pie and Android Q after. The IP68 water resistance is also nice.

>>Not stocc android
it's pretty much stock Android with some small changes by Sony.

No iPhone, is the p20 pro band 12?

Apple is a one trillion dollor company

youtu.be/hMf-qjmALAM

reversible microUSB cables exist

pain in the ass, you fucking illiterate piece of shit

Fucking ugly ass bottom bezel AND notch. GG, no RE.

Attached: googlepixel3.jpg (680x453, 41K)

>Only 2 icons visible in notification bar
Lmao

don't touch my dollors.

Something had to make better use of all that screen real estate. I don't understand how anyone thought this was a practical and sound design choice.

That notch is unreasonably ugly for some reason. It's like they made it taller than it should have been.

Hmm interesting. Was basing it off screen size (5.5" VS 6") but it seems the body is the almost the same. Guess I'll get the Note 5 then

That they did.
It's Essential tall while being really wide.

>Stereo speakers
FRONT FACING stereo seakers. Double good.

The fact that it's 1 year old is a shitty con.

>The fact that it's 1 year old is a shitty con.
The nonsense kind of shitty, ie invalid.

decided to pick the p20
wish me luck

F

its the only best phone offered by my contract
what do you want? Ill pick the Samsung A6? lol

More cons:
>Lose OTA updates if you want to enable fp scanner and t-mo wifi calling/volte
>No warranty at that price
>32gb internal

Fuck off spammer

what's with all these reviewers going crazy over these oneplus products. i'm about to upgrade from my iphone 6 and the op6 seems too good to be true. i need some counter shilling

>notch
>single speaker
>glass back for no reason
>shit cameras
>no SD slot

So I can probably get an Pixel 2 XL this month or the following and after the leak of the 3 XL and its disgusting notch, I'm really considering if I should just get 3xl for the benefits of the new SoC, possibly better camera and display and THOSE earbuds.
Should I wait til November and suck the shit out of my wallet or get the 2xl right now and get last year's camera and performance?

When did you buy Note 3? I am suspecting they chinked later production series with much lower build quality, particularly the aluminum and faulty headphone jacks. I ordered mine in March of 2016 and, with only a silicone mask and no screen protector it survived a lot of abuse. Multiple plugging/unplugging of the headphone jack each day, situations in which it would definitely bend if it was poorly built but it didn't give in a bit. My friend stepped on it while it was lying face-down on concrete, resulted in a scratch on the metal band and a tiny crack in the corner of the screen. In other words, I've only witnessed exceptional build quality, while lots of users, like yourself, reported the opposite and it wouldn't surprise me if Xiaomi decided to chink later once the model was established as "best buy" of the year.

there is no way that 2 or more people looked at that notch without someone getting offended by it. i'm actually curious about what's the reasoning behind it

Why not the regular Pixel 3, too small?

wccftech.com/xiaomi-mi-mix-3-specs-leak-oled-screen-569-price/
>tfw our lord and savior is coming next month and saving us from notch hell
too bad the chinks will be buying up all the stock and reselling them on ebay at 30%+ profit like always. It will probably be available in October.

is there an android rom which gives priority to smooth animations similar to what iOS does?
trying out a galaxy s9 vs an iphone 7+ or something at the store, I notice the galaxy s9 being slightly less fluid in its animations and I'm vey autistic about it

Mix 2S has wireless charging already anyway.

Anybody else aimed for the note 9 unpacked event tomorrow?
I have a note 5 now and can't wait to see if this new one if worth upgrading

Attached: 1375045055399.gif (555x312, 838K)

>motorized camera
Why are they doing this?

I don't want my camera motorized if my phone gets hacked.
I want that shit to be pulled out manually with the fingers.
Saves battery,
Is cheaper,
Less breakable mechanics.

Attached: 1275934925735.jpg (461x523, 109K)

>Why are they doing this?
People are lazy.
>Less breakable mechanics.
The camera itself is that anyway, also way more delicate that dumb motor.

>The camera itself is that anyway, also way more delicate that dumb motor.
The motor will be subject too all kinds of small things like dust and sand grain sneaking in through the small opening. It's definitely a additional liability compared to just manually pulling out the camera.

I'm also not a fan of the finger print sensor being able to read my fingerpring when I'm using the phone regularly.
When they were on the backside, at least I had the option to physically block the fingerprint sensor.

>I'm also not a fan of the finger print sensor being able to read my fingerpring when I'm using the phone regularly.
>When they were on the backside, at least I had the option to physically block the fingerprint sensor.
That's just your schizofrenia.

No that's a concern for privacy.

Chink hands need to compensate

Everything is a concern for privacy.
Go innawoods and never come back.

But I can minimize some of it by doing simple shit like blocking the front camera and fingerprint reader, without living in the woods.

There's still an absolute metric fuckton of way to track you.

Is the Galaxy S9 Plus the best smartphone in existence right now not factoring in price?

>best screen
>highest resolution
>long battery life
>top contender camera
>expandable storage

And as long as it's reasonable, I try do disable it.

Attached: 1365961672802.gif (500x260, 1.95M)

Only the yurp version that has LOS.

And shit software that ruins the UX to the point of making the phone unusable.
And you're still getting tracked.
Why even bother, it's pure autism at this point.

>shit software
It's Android, user. Just flash a custom ROM or use a launcher.

>Why even bother
So the people who tracks you get as little information as possible.

Why lay flat down and surrender?

>So the people who tracks you get as little information as possible.
You're still in the fucking internet.
Why bother?
It's piss easy to track you even despite the autistic paranoia measures.

>It's piss easy to track you
Try tracking me.

Good luck finding any info of how I look like and figuring out what my fingerprint is.

Impossible on the American version.

You forgot the 3.5 mm jack. I usually hate Samsung design practices, but with both the S8+ and S9+ they have absolutely nailed it.

One of the loudspeakers is bottom facing though.

The Xperia XZ2 premium does the loudspeaker thing correctly and also checks the other marks.

Was there ever a reasoning behind notches in phones?

You have no idea on how a fingerprint sensor works.

>meme Chinese botnet phone with a notch

Lmao

They can piece together multiple exposures.
When they implement it on the screen in this manner, they will eventually be able to gather the fingerprint of your thumb and index finger.

And you won't be able to put a tape over it to stop them, like in the backside fingerprint scanners.

You don't need "counter shilling", you need advice and common sense.

>long battery life
Nope. Even Galaxy Note 4 from 2014. scores higher.
gsmarena.com/battery-test.php3?idPhone=8967#show

maybe not the right place to post this but sure fuck it

has greenify's GCM function gotten any better since 2016? I'd figure it has but I can't find anyone saying anything about it since then