How do I break into programming?

How do I break into programming?

I currently work in a "data science" role where I have good knowledge of SAS/SQL. Data science is close to bullshit from what I'm seeing. I build java applications for personal use at work.

Any advice? Sent off about 50 resumes for java developer roles and only one response.

>inb4 Java is shit. It pays the most.

Attached: 1532744383928m.jpg (768x1024, 159K)

Other urls found in this thread:

vsco.co/reagancarlson
stockage.univ-brest.fr/~herbette/Tmp/Jake_VanderPlas_Python_Data_Science_Handbook.__Essential_Tools_for_Working_with_Data.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Gib moar

The world is moving to graph databases with go/rust/python. Go learn the shit out of that.

cute whore
how old is this one?

spbp
/thread

>Data science
Scala..

All I have

Attached: 1532914878811m.jpg (859x1024, 163K)

What's wrong with c++/Java? I know I probably won't be on the cutting edge but I don't see these languages being obsolete in my lifetime. I just want a job with 90k+ potential salary with an objective skill set.

I just started a new role as a data analyst. My end goal is to be a .net dev.
From what i gather title doesnt really mean shit and should be easy to switch as long as you have the skills.

Then don't learn Java for fucks sake.
Also if you expect to make 90k+ instantly just because you learned Java then I have some bad fucking news for you.

>Data science is close to bullshit

So which is your least favorite part about the field?
From what I've seen it's just rebranded statistics, which can be very powerful if used correctly. However, I've also found that the average data scientist has a very poor grasp of statistics and is willing to do nearly anything to force the data to "work" for the conclusion his boss/client wants, mathematical sense or ethics be damned.

The problem is that on paper I lack experience and there is probably some truth to it. There will be more skillful developers out there as I'm trying to switch roles.

As a data analyst be prepared to cope with the realization that the role is complete bullshit. You build out the data and either have to sell it (even when you know it's flawed) or hit some figure to align with what management "thinks" it should be.

God bless you

I said "potential salary". In my area (Texas) 70k isn't unreasonable for entry level but it is on the high end.

Data analyst is such a general title. My role is probably totally different from yours. My job is to basically do back end database stuff and fix any issues in our ticket system. Its a small company though so im hoping to branch out. Im also only 23 and im making 75k so im in no rush.

between 21 and 24, are you even smart enough to guess ages accurately?

I work in a university where people fortunately have some concept of ethics. I've been told before that it's OK to report that something doesn't work if there is nothing more I can do.

Before you give up on data analysis, I think you should try to find out whether your problem with it comes from not knowing how to draw conclusions or if it comes from the practices you're forced to do.

what does your data science entail? I would assume a lot of data science roles in companies are glorified spreadsheet analytics.

Sorta in the same boat cause I'm finishing a graduate degree with a heavy amount of data mining and machine learning looking to go from there.

True, if you're only dealing with the database part it shouldn't be as stressful. Still be aware that executives generally have no clue how any of it works

here you go nibba
vsco.co/reagancarlson

stop doing that thing where you post wamen to get replies to your thread.

sage in all fields

oh my
that's a cute boy

That's pretty close to my experience. I'm sure it varies quite a bit though. In my experience, we force models to do things they aren't designed to do. Then we spend months trying to explain what went wrong. You're in a constant defensive position and it can be stressful. They want you to build, report, troubleshoot and fulfill bullshit ad hoc requests and wonder why little progress gets made. This could be mostly the company though.

this meme needs to die

It worked right?

for so long as Jow Forums /a/ /y/ exists this meme won't die
sage always works

I think the machine learning stuff is borderline pseudo science but I could just be a uneducated in that field. If you have a strong statistics background it might be feasible. Even stastics can get detached from reality pretty easily.

Econometrics/Stats PhD here, had been working at a Uni in Europe. Just started a well paid data science position about six weeks ago. About to quit the job and go back to academia. I'd don't think I'll be happy in such a position. My experience (and everybody I talked to) pretty much resembles that of .

Tired of explaining why we need randomized control groups from the beginning again and again and again. Predictive problems are boring. My colleagues with more experience also say there is a clear trade off with regard to technical sophistication, modern backend and how interesting the data that you can analyze.

Companies with a high level of technical sophistication often only have limited and sparse frontend user data, which are less interesting and uses are limited. Those with more interesting individual level data often have horrible legacy backend systems, reducing much of your work to being a SQL monkey and you often have to fight against management or project leaders who do not understand anything related to analytics. My current company falls in the latter category.

I have the statistics background to go with machine learning and deep learning. Intro courses, multivariate statistics and regression analysis as well as some background in optimization both discrete and continuous.

I feel with that kind of focus I should aim for something that is not just a generic dev position, but I have not made up my mind yet.

just saw you post, I gave my experience here . After interviewing I believe jobs at media companies are the best compromise unless you can get a job at Google or Amazon. Comparatively interesting problems and relatively modern. Analyzing shopping behavior at large retails might also be an option. Insurance is horror.

One option I am currently looking into is going into modelling and simulation or take a completely different turn and work on computer vision stuff for engineering. My degree is still a CS degree even though I'm accumulating more statistics courses than the usual CS graduate up to now, so I feel I should look for something that fits this well.

>data science
>sas/sql
You aren't doing data science. From the looks of things, you are doing some rebranded database analysis/reporting role which explains why you think the field is bullshit.

As a first step, I'd suggest you master Python and try to move your work processes into there. That would allow you to get out of your current company and into a proper data science role somewhere else.

If you still aren't convinced it's for you, then it wouldn't be impossible to get into data engineering.

In my experience, Java is the natural next step after you master Python in the data world. So, I wouldn't focus on that until you get out of your current role.

Why are white girls so hot, bros? My dream is to have a white wife but I know it won't ever be realized.

Attached: 1508503290684.png (413x372, 121K)

Meanwhile I'm vegan and 90% of the other vegans I meet are young thin white women who are practically waiting in line to ride my dick due to the low availability of vegan men in the community.

I just listed programming related strengths. I use R occasionally and I do modeling even though it's not really my strength. I just see people who are more specialized in this field produce bullshit and everyone eats it up. Still, it probably isn't "true" data science but it touches the same topics.

Also, isn't python considered a step down from java? I didn't think there was a huge demand for python developers in legitimate programming fields.

I'd like to put my technology in her

>implying vegan girls fuck low t cucks like you
they ride Chad's carnivorous dick like every other roastie, larper.

>they ride Chad's carnivorous dick like every other roastie, larper.
Only in absence of vegan meat. In the activist community, many of them are even very strict about only being with other vegans.

Sounds like a shit gene pool

>many of them are even very strict about only being with other vegans

Smokescreen.

>muh sour grapes

How do I break into her panties?

in my limited experience, a CS background is an advantage. this way the CS guys from IT who think Data Science is a meme and a deeper understanding of stats is irrelevant will at least take you seriously. Data science is only a meme because people it's often done by people who don't understand stats. Add to that colleagues from IT, other departments and upper management who don't understand it either and it becomes a huge clusterfuck.

The IT guys who think that tableau tools are generally sufficient and a deeper understanding of stats is not required are not so wrong in many cases. management doesn't care about whether methods are correctly applied or not, they interprete correlations as they see fit anyways.

Go along with some tutorial you find online
bam, you're already more qualified than the average indian who is being marketed as "senior developer" by his IT service employer.

show bobs and vegana

right now, when make-up and push up bra's are a thing, it is no longer possible to accurate guess a females age based purely on appearance. girl in OP's post could pretty much be 15 or 30

there used to be a handful of girls in my class with melons that size when I was in highschool.

I'm the opposite of you guys, I'm currently a lowly DevOps analyst but i badly want to break into the BI data scientist/analyst role. Our BI team is swamped right now so I'm trying to see if there's anything i can help them out with

But what math do i need to brush up on to take the data science path? My calculus is rusty and I've almost completely forgot linear algebra. My statistics knowledge definitely needs work. Do i need to relearn differential equations?

How is the book "Introduction to Statistical Learning"?

I mostly just use regressions and basic statistics concepts (mean, standard deviation, etc) and I'm by no means on the cutting edge but I get by.

I find that to be a big issue as well. The horrible inflated resumes by Indians is real. They just jam as many buzz words as possible on their resume.

12 you pedo

hack her with a hatchet
this breaks all security practices

Why don't you try to move up or to a different company? Just curious. I see job postings all around with 100k+ salaries and I'm in Texas. That's going to be hard to do in data science unless you have at least a master's degree.

dude
you already have enough experience to try for programming jobs. Don't think big. Try a junior developer job or something similar. And work on your resume, the most likely reason that you got so little responses is because you resume is probably bad

half the guys are sort-of ashamed of suffering utter defeat at the hands of maintaining our standard JEE applications. A few of them seem to actually be improving. (yea, great. We could have got some dudes from a nearby university for less and trained our own instead of another company's people...)
the other half sits around giggling and in some cases literally burping and farting, not having a single care in the world because they know fully well that regardless of performance their business has a whole line of retard managers waiting to "buy some talent", thinking anyone called "Senior Dev" can fill a position.

>Why don't you try to move up
That's basically what I'm trying to do by growing my skillset and helping out our senior analysts on the BI / data science team. I just started this job a few months ago so it would be poor form to quit so soon

>I see job postings all around with 100k+ salaries and I'm in Texas
Up here in Canada experienced devs are lucky if they're getting 70 - 80k USD. You constantly hear about the booming tech industry in Vancouver and Toronto, but if there are few barriers or even invectives to hire internationally, then local devs get a shittier deal. Combine the lower wages with the insane costs of living and things are rough up here. Wish i could relocate to Washington state

Why does Canada always under pay the talent? Seems like every decent profession makes significantly more in the USA than Canada. Even in places where there is money.

did you think that all those perks like vacation, paternity leave, unions, etc are free? lmfao

Thanks. You're probably right to some degree. There aren't too many junior roles and I've applied to like 8 or so with no response. I changed my resume using a template a friend used to get hired and still no luck.

Also, it worth applying to these positions with absurd requirements? 6+ years of java, so on. Are there really that many people with those credentials?

>python a step down
Java is more for ML/data engineering and Python is for that giant grey area known as 'data science' which is more or less anything related to data analysis at this point.

I wouldn't say Python is a step down, but definitely what is sold as 'data science' is closer to engineering than the roles that are exclusively Python/SQL.

>intro to stat learning
Don't waste your time. It's too broad and definitely not for beginners or people trying to break into data science or ml.

ML or data science requires a lot of domain specific knowledge (hence why there are so many jobs asking for PhDs), so you would be best focusing on getting programming/db skills and getting some kind of data job where you can learn analysis. From here you can move up into development and engineering.

>is it worth applying for 6+ years
Definitely not. They are roles where there will be no opportunity to learn or grow, so even if you bluffed your way through you'd probably not finish probation.

>6+ years of java
It's more hyperbole to make sure that no juniors apply for the position. Probably they would take anyone who had 2-3 years in a respectable company for this position.

IMO, if it's your aspiration to get into Java based data science, your best path would be master python in a data science role first. If you can get python, then you will be able to get into a data engineering role which is usually java/python/scala, from here you can learn Java without worrying about this huge gate of experience.

>Tfw I can never be vegan because of severe and uncontrollable ulcerative colitus

Sounds like the life man, I didnt even care about foods or flavors or whatever I ate until I got checked.

Attached: repost1000.jpg (640x640, 58K)

I've seen some people here asking about Data Science. This book might be useful, guys:

stockage.univ-brest.fr/~herbette/Tmp/Jake_VanderPlas_Python_Data_Science_Handbook.__Essential_Tools_for_Working_with_Data.pdf

I just finished a (two months) course on Big Data, and it was 80% like this book; Python, Machine Learning (through Spark ML), Matplotlib visualisations, etc. (but focused on distributed computing).

Attached: lrg.jpg (500x656, 83K)

I'd prefer to get away from data science as it's just too subjective and it's hard practice. Plus developer/programmer has more potential in my opinion.

Programming is objective. If you do it really well people can easily tell and you can research and apply knowledge almost instantly.

data science is going the webshit route where there's some new tech that all the data science people use that you need to know. so figure it out and then sprinkle those keywords on your resume and you'll be fine.

I'm trying to get away from data science partly for this reason as well.

Godammit you idiots realize shes only FIFTEEN?

SHES 15 IT'S ILLEGAL

Attached: 1478234885013.png (1280x720, 830K)

Because of your SQL knowledge, any .NET language will work. VB.NET is the easiest, but impossible to get a job with. If you want to do it for work, learn C#

Bullshit

Unfortunately I put all my eggs into the java basket. It has the most job postings and seems to pay fairly well.

Unless you can provide a souce, please don't lie.

Industry in general is a shitfest. If the abuse of stats by people calling themselves data scientists is limited to just analyzing shopping patterns or some inconsequential bullshit like that I'd be OK, but these retards have spread like a cancer into biomedical sciences as well, which has obvious life or death consequences.

>vsco.co/reagancarlson
Thank you, user!

Now I can finally fap in peace.

Dw brah, if her age is not on the clock she's ready for the cock.

How do I break into Data Science OP?

Attached: 1430796936764.jpg (1223x1024, 152K)

But i have a digital clock, so up to 59?

No programmer has "all their eggs in one basket." How do you expect to get hired if you tell people you can use a hammer but not a screwdriver?

1. programming socks
2. gantoo
3. thonkpad
4. fap2traps

I mean I put most of my time trying to master Java over other languages. I could build something in C++ or python but it would be be far less polished than if I did it in Java. Definitely not strong enough to land a job in those languages.

I got lucky. I applied and they were desperate to fill positions.

Lol that’s what they tell you to let you down easy.

It’s like old times when christian girls said they only dated christian guys while being sluts when no one was watching.

Age of consent is 14 here. There's also no bullshit "your age gap must be under 5 years" law.

Who is this?

Attached: Who.png (497x162, 23K)

Some random whore?

How do I break out of programming?

I'm sick of dealing with
>salesmen sitting in managerial positions.
>who can't get their story straight and claim everything they don't like is a bug
>dysfunctional business units that try to use their software developers to fight with each other over requirements instead of sitting down and talking about it like grown adults
>being on call indefinitely.
>memetech that doesn't do half the shit it advertises
>people who ignore a feature's entire development cycle, show up two days after deployment and call for a do-over (bonus points if management actually approves their antics)
>being handed interns like they're expected to know how to write more than "hello world"
>bending over backwards to make an increasing feature set work on inelastic, old hardware
>dealing with breaking changes in frameworks. You do not know pain until you have to deal with all the awful shit that comes with converting a large C++ codebase from ascii to unicode

Attached: 1404535981740.jpg (287x260, 12K)

>thot using vsco for social media garbage pics

classic

How do I break into her data deposit user?

Yeah. What an idiot!

Attached: 497_vsco_110715.jpg (1536x2048, 916K)

With money

>4. fap2traps
this unironically landed me my job

you don't

Based java is based and does pay a based and redpilled salary. Hopefully i can just program java for the rest of my life