/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: Debian-GNU-Hurd-2017.jpg (718x479, 40K)

Other urls found in this thread:

osdisc.com/
wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian
linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=254
rufus.akeo.ie/)
linuxmint.com/download.php
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install GuixSD

oops I asked my question at the end of the thread!

Attached: computer-chick.jpg (1600x1200, 331K)

stanley, gary, jack, steven

when is linux getting better battery life?

when you stop being lazy

what are "labels" for in GPT?

If I choose "Partition name" as "/" for root, what should the "label" be? Or if I choose "/home/ for my home folder, what should the "label" be?

Attached: computer_chick.jpg (612x408, 30K)

in order, for
boot
swap
root
home
they should be:
stanley
gary
jack
steven

you son of a bitch

Attached: img.jpg (1280x720, 41K)

As far as I know labels are entirely arbitrary. You can mount things by them in fstab with LABEL=nigger syntax and xfce/Windows/potentially other things will call your filesystems by their label instead of just "100GB Volume" but other than that it doesn't really matter

thanks, that's what I've gathered from googling around. I'm just gonna leave the "labels" blank and set my "partition names" to

/boot
/swap
/
/home
/temp
/var

Attached: penguin-3-625x352.jpg (625x352, 34K)

yeah that should be fine
those look like mount points so if you're just naming partitions after where you're mounting them you should be good

I will always refer to any OS running the GNU userland as Linux

Tried to install Debian sid packages downloaded manually to Devaun and it somehow removed cmake and my copy of Fallout 1 and 2. Wasn't able to get a good read on the output, and like yeah I know what I did was dumb, but could anyone explain why that happened?

Is it possible to run Kodi on a headless Gahnoo Kleeenax installation?

Rather than having a desktop manager for a Raspberry I will never actually utilize in any other manner

Attached: 1531425753141.png (979x973, 25K)

Repeat question from last thread:
When I click a link it tries to open in spacefm
How do I change this?
xdg-settings or xdg-mime?
Also, is there any way to see all settings set in xdg-settings and xdg-mime?

I don't think it really matters. As far as I know the name is really only used when listing partitions just so you don't forget what's what, and the label can be used in things like mount commands and fstab to identify the disk instead of having to write /dev/sdb2 or whatever.

A link where? In your web browser?

Someone on exodus from Windows to Linux here.
Is Mint with a Cinnamon setup a good distro? At least for a guy like me that’s been using Windows 7 for like the last 2 decades or however long it’s been out?
How do I even get my hands on an OS download disk for a distro?

What if it's a BSD or HURD?

A link anywhere but the webbrowser.
A link in teamspeak, skype, whatsapp desktop, email client, anything where I would want to click a link to have it open in the browser.

I fixed this problem, which appeared after installing spacefm, by going into firefox settings and making it default browser again.
But I'd still like to know if there is a good way to manage to see all the settings for xdg-mime and xdg-settings (if these are the 2 tools mainly responsible for handling these)

Does any of the bigger control panel GUIs allow this?

>Is Mint with a Cinnamon setup a good distro? At least for a guy like me that’s been using Windows 7 for like the last 2 decades or however long it’s been out?
Absolutely! Mint is perfect for Win 7 converts
>How do I even get my hands on an OS download disk for a distro?
If you want to buy one, it's here
osdisc.com/
But most people will download the disk image from Linux Mint's site and flash it to a USB drive using a utility like Rufus, dd, or etcher.

>Is Mint with a Cinnamon setup a good distro?
Just try it to see if you like it, you could always test things in a VM first.
>OS download disk
They usually come in .iso form online and can be installed with any usb flash drive with a program like rufus or onto a disk if you really want that.

Nice digits.

Thanks guys, honestly you’ve been a big help in comparison to the last thread. I asked the same question and there wasn’t as much easily ready help.
This thread is really comfy, thanks anons.

Attached: FCF377AC-1A64-4AB0-91FC-2C8819B4BA23.png (375x360, 124K)

package conflicts happened and they were solved by removing other packages.

wiki.debian.org/DontBreakDebian#Don.27t_make_a_FrankenDebian

If you need a package from unstable on devuan backport it or try devuan unstable.

What is the correct keybind for splitting windows horizontally in wmii? I tried this but it doesn't work:
Key $MODKEY-y
# shrink horizontally
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel right -10
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel left -10
Key $MODKEY-u
# grow horizontally
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel right 10
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel left 10
Key $MODKEY-i
# shrink vertically
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel down -10
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel up -10
Key $MODKEY-o
# grow vertically
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel down 10
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel up 10
Key $MODKEY-Shift-y
# shrink horizontally
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel right -2
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel left -2
Key $MODKEY-Shift-u
# grow horizontally
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel right 2
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel left 2
Key $MODKEY-Shift-i
# shrink vertically
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel down -2
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel up -2
Key $MODKEY-Shift-o
# grow vertically
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel down 2
wmiir xwrite /tag/sel/ctl grow sel sel up 2

Attached: Wmii.png (750x600, 231K)

GNU's not Unix

Hurd's not Linux

Linux is not Hurd,

but Hurd and Linux is GNU

Kodi can be launched as a session in hour desktop manager.

>wmii
its deprecated, just use i3 which is its successor you fucking hipster

does i3 have acme like window panes?

Hurd is dead, It's time to move on to Genode, Redox, and Fuchsia.

>rust and google
get out

Hey at least they'll be even remotely usable for day to day tasks in the coming years. Hurd is basically at a standstill and is "research OS"-tier. It'll never be viable.

Thank you, this exactly what I needed.

redox will be research-tier for awhile as well if it ever gets usable.
And
>using anything google
If you want an Android OS on your pc, install Bliss

Reposting because I'm blind and did not see the thread

So, i'm trying to setup void in a vm before installing it on my notebook, wtf is going on with thunar icons? gtk is using the gnome icon pack

Attached: 20180808165128_1024x768_scrot.png (1024x768, 80K)

What form of downloading is most recommended?
>32 Bit DVD
>64 Bit DVD
>16 GB Flashdrive (32 Bit)
>32 GB Flashdrive (32 Bit)
>16 GB Flashdrive (64 Bit)
>32 GB Flashdrive (64 Bit)

I imagine this has to do with hardware requirements and what effects we want, but I’m not too sure what I’m looking at (again Im new, migrating to Linux for the first time). What determines what’s best for me?

>system reboots suddenly
>nothing in the logs
>not even in journald "dude binary logs are superior"
How do I diagnose an issue that can't be logged?

Power failure?

>GNU is not Unix
right

>Hurd is not Linux
right

>Linux is not Hurd
already staded that

>but Hurd and Linux is GNU
wrong

Mint with Cinnamon from here:
linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=254
1. Either download the .iso via the torrent or from one of the many mirrors from a location close to you.
2. Get rufus (rufus.akeo.ie/)
The portable version should be enough
3. Get a USB stick thats atleast 2 GB and plug it in
4. Start rufus and select
Device: your USB stick
Boot selection: the ISO you downloaded
Partition scheme: MBR
Target System: BIOS & UEFI
You can give the volume a name but that's not important
5. Press 'START' and wait for it to finish. It can take a while.
6. If it completes without errors, make sure you got all your files you want to keep from Windows 7 as a backup somewhere. Either in the cloud or on another storage device.
The HDD/SSD you install Mint on will be wiped, so don't keep anything important on there
7. When starting the computer, get into the boot menu. The hotkey for Boot Menu is display in the text when you start your computer, but it's usually something like F8, F9, F10, F11 or F12
8. When the boot menu pops up, select your USB device.
You should now be booted into the Mint setup

Attached: 6zB5OBmZQA-NGljhQwLx2aIwQFRuDwzMyAWkXrzl13A.png (1024x478, 527K)

Not sure what you're referring to. If you're on the Linux Mint website
linuxmint.com/download.php
then you should get a choice for the 64 and 32 bit version and what desktop environment, and upon choosing that, you should get a bunch of download links. All of which give you the same thing (the .iso file).
If you're talking about OSdisc, that's just if you want to buy a disc and have it shipped to you like people would do with windows. If you choose DVD, they'll send it to you on a DVD. If you choose Flashdrive, they'll send it to you on a Flashdrive, and that drive will be either 16GB or 32GB total storage size. You of course get to keep the drive and can then do whatever the hell you want with it after that.

big PS:
the Link is for Mint 64bit.
If you don't have a 64bit computer, you will have to get the 32bit iso from the same site.
If you don't know what architecture your processor has, go to your windows control panel and click on "System"
it should say 32bit or 64bit

If your confusion is over the "32-bit", and "64-bit" thing, you're almost always gonna want the 64-bit one. Unless your computer is REALLY old (like, pre-Core2Duo old).

Huge help, thank you!
I don’t think I have any further questions, I screencapped this thread to hold on to the instructions. God bless anons.

Good luck and welcome to freedom

It's a laptop, and had charged battery and was plugged in at the same time. There are no other symptoms, so I'm not sure if its a hardware issue or something else.
>ran memtest, nothing
>not temperature related, and in fact stressing the CPU until throttling doesn't cause it
>various sources I've read say most hardware failure isn't likely to cause a reboot, but rather a freeze/kernel panic (which would log, obviously), but I don't know
>no filesystem/disk issues yet
>running ubuntu and issue persists across kernels
Still have yet to fully test AC only/battery only, since the issue is non-reproducible (that is, happens infrequently and randomly).

What do "binary" logs have to do with you not having any logs for your freak reboot?

I have this android phone here and I want to root it manually to learn something.
Since Android's kernel is very old, it should be easy, right? What's a good source for finding vulnerabilities for specific Linux versions? Also, are there any good reads on that topic you could recomnend?

Trying to set up a wireless USB dongle on ububtu with no gui because I'm a masochist. Failing because I'm an idiot. When I run wpa_supplicant it starts spitting this out every so often. What's the cause, a bad driver install?

Attached: Fuck.jpg (2688x1396, 1.2M)

Are you sure about that -iwlx parameter?

Did they make it easier yet? I couldn't get past the install process last year.

im such a brainlet i still dont understand pacman syntax
what for fuck sake is the reason to include -y option when using -S? what is the difference between pacman -Su fuckingpackage and pacman -Syu fuckingpackage, what is the deal with not refreshing package data base
if my current version of fuckingpackage is 2.1, current database is 2.2 and actual fresh database is 2.3 what will happen, will this mongoloid try to install 2.2?

can you change the transparency of the ubuntu dock?

The parameter is -i, the interface name is the wlx.... bullshit. It is the correct name. And weirdly enough I can scan on that interface and find my ssid.

>HURrDurr

Why did Debian allow to get sponsored by Microsoft?

> Why did Linux allow to get sponsored by Microsoft?
> Why did OSI allow to get sponsored by Microsoft?
Free sheckles?

Binary logs should be better and be atomic and thus have a record of what happened the ms the system shit itself. Otherwise, it's just useless obfuscation that breaks standard unix workflow.

Embrace, extend, extinguish.

Attached: 2ef.png.jpg (640x719, 114K)

Recommend me a good distro for professional gaming.

No.

any rolling release distro.

>people actually worried about EEE for linux
it's literally impossible, if MS fuck the main project somehow. people will just fork and move on. But linus would never let it happen. Stop shitposting.

He already did. Please explain why Linux needs windows virtualization patches.

Because windows VMs are important on linux?

i wonder if that headphone has a foss firmware.

user, there's already Microsoft employees being directors in the Linux Foundation. That's the benefit of bring a sponsor.

it's the other way: MS pays people to work on the linux kernel so it runs well in their VM solutions (Hyper-V)

It's connected to a cassette player. Unless it has a Dolby (TM) chip it can be regarded as electronics and not a computer.

your
>muh slippery slope
fallacy is not valid, theres no evidence of linux being compromised or ruined in any way. Unless you want to find me an accepted patch which is questionable.

i love that stallman conveniently makes nice loopholes for himself to justify being a hypocrite.

>Replace pkg-config with core/pkgconf?
should I?

Ur a Brainlet

>an analogue electronic circuit being not a computer but a circuit is "stallman conveniently makes nice loopholes for himself to justify being a hypocrite."

Unironically kill your dumb fucking self.

nice argument.

But user, that cassette player isn't exposing itself to stallman. He doesn't understand it 100% thus it impedes his freedoms to understand, change, and distribute copies of it.

>what is the difference between a program and a chair

Attached: 1533637699546.png (1440x1557, 738K)

you can't arbitrarily mark a line with freedom. If stallman demands 100% software freedom. He must demand 100% hardware freedom for which that software runs on.

Physical objects aren't information/software. Stop troling already.

what if that physical object houses secret non-free software? And the only way to have it be free is to expose the hardware as well?

See

so intel's blackboxes with http servers are 100% ok?

Those aren't closed circuits.

so they're ok?
got it, guess intel is stallman approved now.

kys faggot holy shit fucking dumb fucktwit what is wrong with you retard

Oh boy, are we arguing about Stallman again?
You know it's the only reason I even keep these threads open all the time. Really gets my adrenaline going.

>Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
>image is of HURD
how retarded are you

Being a hypocrite has nothing whatsoever to do with being right. So either way the point is pretty moot.

You tell me, Admiral Autism, Sperglord of the Seven Seas.

How is Fedora for someone who has never used Linux before?

Hurd is part of the GNU project, retard.

What's your point? A few threads ago we had an image of cosplayers. Sometimes we get images of only Linus. Calm your autism

>GNU/Linux thread
>Linux

Ubuntu, but with tipping your hat while using it.

slightly awful.
use OpenSuse

Isnt Ubuntu a botnet though?

Yes, we get it user. Now that you know we were not missing your point please reread the replies you got because they're still relevant.

Yes.