HOW do people find motivation for their CS degree or programming as a whole?

HOW do people find motivation for their CS degree or programming as a whole?
How do I see it as something more than a regular job up there with coal mining and table waiting?

Attached: Untitled.png (716x652, 308K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gameprogrammingpatterns.com/type-object.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

you don't, every job is a job, the motivation comes from it being meaningful or enjoyable to you, not because it is CS or comes from years studying it.

This

Please convince me programming is something more than colorful text on the screen.
I mea, fuck me. I've been reading this
gameprogrammingpatterns.com/type-object.html
All day and I just cannot get any word of it in my head. I keep reading text over and over and I just see symbols. I'm tired of this.
I mean, I know what's going on, I've completed several C++ projects but this is just insane. Maybe Im tired.

just take a time to think friendo.

programming is enjoyable when you can use it to solve your problems, not one from some book or course.

The symbols get easier with time, so just keep at it.

Walk a different path frogposter. If you cannot find any joy in this right now, you never will. Time is precious, don't waste it.

I just can't do it, I have to finish this ASCII space invaders in one week that I failed last semester. My professor said I have no idea what OP is and to stop "fucking about" with "C classes" before my hair turns grey.
I am afraid and intimidated to make any decisions myself lest I get shutdown. I don't even know how to write good code.
I can make things work and have readable, sensible, and organised code, but that's that. I don't "get" OOP.
Please help

>frogposter
>dumb
Every time

I make $135k/yr writing CRUD apps in between shitposting on Jow Forums and playing vidya. I also have great benefits, smart coworkers, and a good manager. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Once you're pulling down the bucks that's all the motivation you need.

> How do I see it as something more than a regular job

addendum: you don't. It's a regular job like everything else, just one that's slightly more interesting/comfy/better paying.

OOP didn't really "come" to me until I practiced it a lot, but after a while it starts to make sense and why its a great tool, but the fact that it's complicated and hard to wrap your head around is also a great thing to keep in mind when you implement it anywhere.

Try make some example stuff like class Car with brand and color properties and make some objects representing a red Buick and a blue Mustang, then maybe you can add a paint method that changes the color

I'm just taking first year for the third time because of "muh elite university you FAIL lmAO OWNED"
>practice a lot
I program from 9AM to 2AM every day. What the FUCK is expected of me?

I mean, I have never ever ever thought "Wow! C++ is the perfect language for this!"
Fuck no, I can write anything and everything I want in C much cleaner and more obviously.

That's a good example with Car but I have this problem:
Space invaders has:
>enemies (diff types)
>bullets (yours and enemies')
>your ship
The best I could come up with was all these inherit an abstract class Entity. Then Bullet has a isFriendly flag.
Professor didn't like that idea because "Unless inheritance adds functionality, don't use it"
I am dumbfounded. What do you think?

If you are expecting for a magical moment in which you don't have to practice or get better one day then you are in the wrong industry, and you might be over working yourself if what you say is true. Maybe try out something like spaced repetition?

Unless you are just looking for sympathy about how hard it is to learn things

git gud

>Please convince me programming is something more than colorful text on the screen.
Why?

Well people who know better than me surely could give some tips

if enemies and you are ships this becomes similar to the car thing as well

you could have a ship class that has properties like health, and maybe some methods for movement and then one for fire (the bullet)

then you have your player and enemies inherit these classes. why do the bullets need to be friendly? will the enemies ever be in a position to shoot at each other?

class Enemy would have a type (similar to a car brand) but still inherit all of the movement and firing mechanisms Ship has

Doesn't seem to cut it

Every job I look for is basically "we want someone who eats, sleeps, shits and breathes code". It can't just be a job, it has to be your life. Why aren't you contributing to github every day and building your Le personal brand??

every job posting is someone's ideal candidate, not what they are always expecting, plus if you have this ascii space invaders project done, you can post that on your github profile. why would I hire someone who doesn't have anything to show me? Especially when others are.

Yes, they come from one side of the screen to the other. Rule from the specs is: enemy bullets don't harm enemy ships.
>method for firing a bullet
I don't get that part, how will it work? Method takes EntityContainer pointer and calls addEntity(new Shell(player))?
Ship is already IN the container, it will be cyclic dependency.
There's also another problem in that the problem specs define an Entity as a class that contains a central Point, dimensions (W, H), and a drawing.
I have no clue how the hell I'm supposed to create a hitbox or draw something using a centre point. I need edge points, preferably top-left.

I don't post shit on my github, I delete everything I do because it's undergraduate code....
Should I keep all projects I make?

The entity thing makes sense. You can abstract away things like Transform (position/rotation) since every entity will have that. If your professor doesn't get that abstracting away common functionality is beneficial then idk.

if you're not motivated to do CS or be in tech then its prob not the field for you?

Yes

having anything posted on Github is better than nothing. no one expects you to be Kerrigan out of college. They mostly want to see the way you go about solving problems and the kinds of thing and tools you are familiar with. Pro tip is also including a README.md that tells how to run the program on their machine. that way they can use the program without having to figure out how to install it (they won't).

He does get it, he has 15 years experience with this language.
He told me to use a crystal ball to figure out how to make my code future-proof.
I mean, on exam day I just showed him my project and as I began explaining, he said
"Oh wow! Okay, you have 5 minutes to add a Boss entity that explodes with a circular hitbox to your program. Then another 10 minutes for an AI beahioural pattern on NPCs."
I don't fucking get it. The problem specs don't mention all of this. Maybe I should make minecraft that works as a witcher 3 mod?

What do I do lads, how do I win the nod of my professor?

that's a bit out of my scope because I don't program in C++. But i can represent it in some pseudo code for you

class Ship{

def fire(){
#fires
}
}

class Enemy(Ship, type){ #inherits ship

self.type=type
}

var cruiserShip = Enemy("cruiser")

cruiserShip.type
# => cruiser
cruiserShip.fire()
# => fires

Thanks, but I still don't get what haappens when something fires. What cogwheels do I push.
So far, I have a Gameplay class that has-a EntityContainer. Every X frames, Gameplay goes while(times -= 1) entityContainer.add(Bullet);
I can't imagine the syntax of a ship interacting with its own container.

Sadly, education is where motivation goes to die. If you had an idea of what you wanted to achieve, the education would be simply equipping you with the foundation knowledge to get you going. For all the shit talked about the Zucc, Jobs and Gates, the moment they had that spark of ingenuity, they dropped the STEM meme and capitalised on their ingenuity.
If you're studying CS and you've got no plans or ideas, then at least establish some sort of goal to work towards. For me, that’s landing a £100K annual salary job. I don’t have a plan to achieve this other than hop between higher paying jobs and hopefully build that life-changer piece of tech, but I am motivated enough to throw my job application at every Jack and Harry. Gotta start somewhere.

I just wanna be an IT burger flipper, do what my boss says, and come home to videogames and beer. I honestly cannot imagine a simpler lifestyle. Another part of me screams that I'm wasting my life and ""potential"" and to do all I can while I'm young.

Fuck me, autists have it easy.

You don't HAVE to be a programmer.

Learn to repair air conditioners.

You say that but I can read and do electronics shit for hours non stop. I thought of being an embedded programmer but fellows, my prof, and Jow Forums said it's a shit job.

>said it's a shit job

People these days have really fucked up and twisted ideas about what constitutes a good job.

Only you can really make that determination, you should look into it, if the mainstream view is that it sucks then there will be openings.

Ditch the group think.