Software piracy doesn't exist

After all, how can you steal something that you cannot touch?

Attached: 1529662039435.jpg (761x783, 150K)

Other urls found in this thread:

caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/473/207.html
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abduwali_Muse
caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=473&invol=207).
guardian.co.uk/books/2013/may/04/harper-lee-kill-mockingbird-copyright)
torrentfreak.com/mpaa-banned-from-using-piracy-and-theft-terms-in-hotfile-trial-131129/).
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

"Stealing" money from your bank account wouldn't be stealing either than cause it's just changing a bunch of ones and zeros on a computer.

piracy and theft are two slightly different, equally immoral things.

Piracy is just theft on the ocean though

>"Stealing" money from your bank account wouldn't be stealing either than cause it's just changing a bunch of ones and zeros on a computer.
And you'd be absolutely right user. As of 1971 and the abandonment of the gold standard, banks are creating money, literally out of thin air!
Money nowadays really is just numbers on a computer.

t. worked in a bank

Yeah youre not wrong, and because of its perfectly ethical!
You cant fucking steal a preordained arraignment of 1s and 0s

Piracy is a victimless crime

I think the better question is:
"Is it stealing if you've already paid for it?"

Example:
Downloading a DRM-protected video that you purchased on youtube.

you mean unauthorized copying.

It is stealing if you fell for the license scam

what if i exploit sony's buggy drm rootkit to gain access to a computer on a bank's internal network and then flip bits around? is that stealing or nah?

Nah cuz ur only flipping bits around

no, because the only reason currency has value is because people (falsely) believe it has value.

bases and redpilled thread

I'm going to steal your anal virginity and make you shit my cum for a week, you pirating little faggot.

t. shitty app developer

>t. applefags power fantasy

I think the software pricing is what drives the piracy.
I mean there is nothing less than $20 for a copy of software.
That is basically a no no for half the world population its simply too much money.
And people not knowing about FOSS alternatives.
I rarely pirate anything these days besides maybe bido gams.

Fuck you, faggot.
You should be grateful I don't have every goyim eating my ass in exchange for my software.

Fuck you too, anti-semite scum.

well is';t the point of currency to represent a shared value among people. so it does have value if people believe it does.

Subjectively yes. Objectively no. A picture of Jesus to a believer is an image of their God. To them it's highly valuable. To everyone else it's just a painting.

Copyright infringement AKA unauthorized copying is NOT theft, according to the US Supreme court DOWLING v. UNITED STATES, (1985)
caselaw.findlaw.com/us-supreme-court/473/207.html

>interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud. The infringer of a copyright does not assume physical control over the copyright nor wholly deprive its owner of its use. Infringement implicates a more complex set of property interests than does run-of-the-mill theft, conversion, or fraud.
>interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud.
>interference with copyright does not easily equate with theft, conversion, or fraud.

>Software piracy doesn't exist
Correct, unless you board a ship at sea that's carrying software and rob it under threat of violence.

>Piracy
Wrong. Piracy by definition is a violent crime at sea.

>piracy
What you're referring to as piracy, is in fact, unauthorized copying, or as I've recently taken to calling it, unauthorized sharing. Piracy is not the act of obtaining an unauthorized copy of a copyrighted work, but rather robbery or criminal violence at sea.

Many computer users make unauthorized copies every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the act which is widely performed today is often called piracy, and many of the people who do it are not aware that it is basically copying, and not stealing.

There really is a piracy, and some people are doing it, but it is just robbery at sea. Piracy is an act of theft: an action at sea in which goods are forcefully transferred from one ship to another. Piracy is important to be aware of, but unrelated to unauthorized copying; it can only function at sea. Piracy is normally not used in combination with unauthorized copying: the two acts are basically separate. All the so-called piracy is really unauthorized copying.

Attached: 1437371352140.jpg (399x388, 19K)

software piracy exists, thats not even a debate. the debate is whether it is moral or not. the morality of piracy must be judged on a case by case basis imo because there is some mediocre software sold by rich companies for unfair prices and there is also really well produced software sold with a fair price tag by a modest development team

>software piracy exists
gnu.org/philosophy/words-to-avoid.html#Piracy

>software piracy exists, thats not even a debate.

Factually that is wrong. People had been sharing ideas, art, inventions, stories, and everything under the sunwith their friends and community, since the dawn of mankind, and probably even before that.

Software piracy is a meaningless buzzword, trying to brand this instinctive act, that is inherent to all people, and that which makes us human.

Attached: 1477199256273.jpg (600x481, 44K)

But images of Jesus are objectively images of the almighty Lord God in Heaven

How can you steal something while the original is still there?

>"Stealing" money from your bank account wouldn't be stealing either than cause it's just changing a bunch of ones and zeros on a computer.
Yea but the original is gone so it is stealing.

Based and redpilled.

PIRACY is violently robbing people on international waters, taking real objects, money or life that cannot be replaced and infinitely distributed with a simple copy and paste protocol

UNAUTHORISED COPYING is redistribution of data without the consent of the original creator, whether it be behind a paywall (video games, movies) or just a moral based honesty box (art theft)

One is a violent crime endangering real people
The other is achieved through a series of clicks, and ultimately removes a fraction of a fraction of the profit made, per each individual unauthorised copy

And content theft is stealing time and effort which equate to money.

But you stole my heart, user.

Don't mind me, just plying the high binary seas, kidnapping AIs and wrenching one of a kind, finite assets from their rightful owners (with a side of bot massacres and virtual youtubers raep).

>which equate
Who is assigning worth all of a sudden?
>make movie
>assign worth to it
No worries about profits when you do that case you're always winning.
Doesn't happen in the real world though.
Look if piracy is bad they would ban it.
Why don't they ban it?!
It's easy as that.

Piracy is banned internationally.

Articles 101 to 103 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) (1982) contain a definition of piracy iure gentium (i.e. according to international law).[165] They read:

Article 101

Definition of piracy

Piracy consists of any of the following acts:

(a) any illegal acts of violence or detention, or any act of depredation, committed for private ends by the crew or the passengers of a private ship or a private aircraft, and directed—
(i) on the high seas, against another ship or aircraft, or against persons or property on board such ship or aircraft;
(ii) against a ship, aircraft, persons or property in a place outside the jurisdiction of any State;
(b) any act of voluntary participation in the operation of a ship or of an aircraft with knowledge of facts making it a pirate ship or aircraft;
(c) any act of inciting or of intentionally facilitating an act described in subparagraph (a) or (b).

Article 102

Piracy by a warship, government ship or government aircraft whose crew has mutinied

The acts of piracy, as defined in article 101, committed by a warship, government ship or government aircraft whose crew has mutinied and taken control of the ship or aircraft are assimilated to acts committed by a private ship or aircraft.
Article 103

Definition of a pirate ship or aircraft

A ship or aircraft is considered a pirate ship or aircraft if it is intended by the persons in dominant control to be used for the purpose of committing one of the acts referred to in article 101. The same applies if the ship or aircraft has been used to commit any such act, so long as it remains under the control of the persons guilty of that act.[

You forgot the Stealman pasta that file sharing is not piracy. Let me fix that.

What you're referring to as piracy, is in fact, unauthorized copying, or as I've recently taken to calling it, unauthorized sharing. Piracy is not the act of obtaining an unauthorized copy of a copyrighted work, but rather robbery or criminal violence at sea.

Many computer users make unauthorized copies every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the act which is widely performed today is often called piracy, and many of the people who do it are not aware that it is basically copying, and not stealing.

There really is a piracy, and some people are doing it, but it is just robbery at sea. Piracy is an act of theft: an action at sea in which goods are forcefully transferred from one ship to another. Piracy is important to be aware of, but unrelated to unauthorized copying; it can only function at sea. Piracy is normally not used in combination with unauthorized copying: the two acts are basically separate. All the so-called piracy is really unauthorized copying.

Depends if you copy the information from one bank account into another bank account so the original account would still have all the money but the new account to also have the same ammount money its piracy aka copy/paste

If you remove the information from the original account meaning transfer the money to another account aka cut/paste it would be stealing

Yes but that raises the question why should some people's effort and time be more valuable than that of others. Why should a firefighter risk his life and not get even 1% of the money someone makes while kicking a ball around? Why should an overlooked nurse barely earn any money while some actor or producer make millions? The people from which piracy is "stealing" have never had to wonder if they will pay rent this month or how will they be able to pay for the food and clothes of their families.

Copyright infringement is not what you posted over there.
Why aren't their domains shut down, that's the easiest step?!
Look associating the copying of an MP3 to an act of piracy is a ridiculous hyperbole.

IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE LIVING WITHOUT PIRACY

>piracy
>steal
I don't quite follow. What one has to do with other, exactly?

Publishers often refer to copying they don't approve of as “piracy.” In this way, they imply that it is ethically equivalent to attacking ships on the high seas, kidnapping and murdering the people on them. Based on such propaganda, they have procured laws in most of the world to forbid copying in most (or sometimes all) circumstances. (They are still pressuring to make these prohibitions more complete.)

If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it. Neutral terms such as “unauthorized copying” (or “prohibited copying” for the situation where it is illegal) are available for use instead. Some of us might even prefer to use a positive term such as “sharing information with your neighbor.”

Attached: hina ctf.jpg (847x454, 111K)

Only software I "pirate" was a windows in my VM and the VM itself because vmware > all other crap sadly.

Pretty much all my software is free and the only thing I really hate myself for not buying was sandboxie when it had a lifetime license but the dev sold it to jews.

>IS ABSOLUTELY IMPOSSIBLE LIVING WITHOUT PIRACY
t. Somalian

Attached: main-qimg-46547bff93b8040557b7a8551a931b97-c.jpg (590x369, 35K)

>If you don't believe that copying not approved by the publisher is just like kidnapping and murder, you might prefer not to use the word “piracy” to describe it
You should also consider that in modern day and age the term 'piracy' is highly romanticized and the general image leans more towards picrelated and not the real Somali pirates.

Attached: 1518139566028.png (300x351, 177K)

Tell that the law. There are people sitting im jail right now for making copies, because companies lobby "piracy" as serious crime.

That's why you should reject using that term.

>There are people sitting im jail right now for making copies
The law clearly distinguishes between copyright infringement and piracy. Those people are sitting in jail for copyright infringement, not piracy.

I'm not that familiar with the US(we're talking about the US, right?) law.
Is the term 'piracy' actually in the law?
In Vodkaland, we have this convoluted and obscure concept of infringement on author's rights, but I'm pretty sure that the word 'piracy' is absent from copyright-related laws.

>software developers never had to worry about rent and food and clothes
Imagine being this fucking stupid.

And there's the problem. Making a copy isn't a violent criminal act that should be sentenced with jail.

>Is the term 'piracy' actually in the law?
Yes. It refers to violent robbery and kidnapping at sea.

>And there's the problem.
The law doesn't refer to unauthorized copying as piracy.

which is just as stupid. Copyright was originally meant to be used to that you couldn't claim you wrote something you didn't (like a book or a song).

Now it's a way broader concept by publishers who make money by limiting your freedom. Also, very rarely you'll see authors themselves pursuing it - it's always publishers, because they _think_ their very existence depends on taking your rights.

Which multiple studies have proven that isn't true - sharing leads to more sales.

Attached: Blue and her ditto.jpg (700x1000, 60K)

Sure, but it judges like that.

Good post.

>Sure, but it judges like that.
Not really.
Here's an actual pirate that was convicted in 2011, to 33 years in US prison.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abduwali_Muse

You're not going to get 33 years for copyright infringement.

Stallman posting is best posting;

> The supporters of a too-strict, repressive form of copyright often use words like “stolen” and “theft” to refer to copyright infringement. This is spin, but they would like you to take it for objective truth.

> Under the US legal system, copyright infringement is not theft. Laws about theft are not applicable to copyright infringement (caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/scripts/getcase.pl?court=us&vol=473&invol=207). The supporters of repressive copyright are making an appeal to authority—and misrepresenting what authority says.

> To refute them, you can point to this real case (guardian.co.uk/books/2013/may/04/harper-lee-kill-mockingbird-copyright) which shows what can properly be described as “copyright theft.”

> Unauthorized copying is forbidden by copyright law in many circumstances (not all!), but being forbidden doesn't make it wrong. In general, laws don't define right and wrong. Laws, at their best, attempt to implement justice. If the laws (the implementation) don't fit our ideas of right and wrong (the spec), the laws are what should change.

> A US judge, presiding over a trial for copyright infringement, recognized that “piracy” and “theft” are smear-words (torrentfreak.com/mpaa-banned-from-using-piracy-and-theft-terms-in-hotfile-trial-131129/).

copying =/= stealing
public domain software and free file sharing are the future whether you want it or not

I've obviously meant copyright-related laws. I've even emphasized it at the end of the post.
>Copyright was originally meant to be used to that you couldn't claim you wrote something you didn't
This would be authorship. As far as I know, it's not a right and can't be, for example, bought by the third party. It's just a fact of life.
On the other hand, copyright rights can be(and often are) sold to the third party.
>Now it's a way broader concept by publishers who make money by limiting your freedom
In most cases, yes.
>Which multiple studies have proven that isn't true - sharing leads to more sales.
Whether you lose money due to copyright infringement or not is another question altogether.
The concept of the lost profit due to piracy is especially retarded.

>guy works 5 years on cutting edge software
>you steal his source code and publish it cause 'hurr durr copying is not stealing'
>this is not wrong
k

try telling this to a jew

>when it comes to "piracy", you can see Jow Forums and /v/ unite, even loving rms and posting intelligent comments

Attached: 1533817888818.jpg (450x252, 22K)

Property is a illusion. Every object was robbed from the earth, every thought is a combination of other people's thoughts.

>you steal his source code and publish it cause 'hurr durr copying is not stealing'
Correct. It's copyright infringement.
>this is not wrong
The parent post didn't imply that.

Just cause it's forbidden doesn't mean it's wrong, though.
If copying his software isn't wrong, copying his source code isn't either.

Whether it's wrong or not is up to debate.
Fact is, unauthorized copying is not theft, nor is it piracy.

Unless you print out all the coding

why ı cannot touch software

ill let you touch my software bb

here's where you're wrong
currency does not have value
it represents value

how do i know you're speaking from the pov of a bank teller and not from the pov of david icke viewer?

Piracy is politics. Not technology.

This post unironically needs to be stickied.