Newfag here and I need Jow Forums's help

I'm new to this board but not Jow Forums, but I'll get on with it.

I cannot for the life of me, stand Windows or Microsoft anymore. I need an alternative for this. I know I am perfectly fine using open source software like GIMP and Firefox but I do need my Steam games to run. What would you guys suggest? I was thinking using Ubuntu or Mint Linux and would look for some sort of emulator to process my games from Steam.

Any suggestions for me? I'm open for everything you've got to say. Thanks Jow Forums!

Attached: 48.jpg (250x250, 21K)

Other urls found in this thread:

gentoo.org/get-started/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Install Gentoo

And as for steam game support? I'll take a look at Gentoo however.

Just dual boot you fag lover.

Don't install Gentoo as a beginner. I suggest starting off with Arch. Practice the Arch installation process in a VM until you are great at it, and then install Arch.
Once you are more advanced with using Arch, the Arch installation process knowledge will serve you well if you decide to switch to Gentoo.

Attached: systemd os.jpg (924x3386, 639K)

I don't want Windows on any of my hardware cunt. Be less useless.

he's an epic memer disregard

try fucking off to /sqt/ or killing yourself

Why Arch over the other big named Lunix distros?Just the ease of use or maybe more features over others?

Try the latter of your comment first just so I know how it all works out.

Well, Ubuntu is AIDS, but I'd suggest it.
Debian has an awkward aesthetic, but I'd suggest it.
I suggest Arch the most though because it'll give him experience and let him customize and not have any default bloat. For absolute beginners who want this, I'd really suggest Ubuntu Server minimal, but I think he can handle Arch.

Yeah I'm not a tech newfag, I know a shit ton about all things computer. Just haven't stuck my feet into Linux before. Ill take a look at Ubuntu, Debian, and Arch. Arch first since thats two that have suggested it.

No
Do Ubuntu, then Debian, then Arch

Xubuntu

I am so sorry. I really shouldn’t have said that. It’s been...a long day. Anyway, I really am sorry.

If you don’t want windows anywhere (I don’t blame you) you have a few options but I’m not sure any of them are really any good. Of course, I haven’t looked into non-windows gaming in awhile. The first thing that comes to my mind is ignoring everything I’ve previously said and jumping off a cliff you taint licker.

Damn you really got my hopes up for a second lmfao.

Will do boss. Appreciate the help.

Attached: 9.jpg (250x250, 19K)

I meant Linux beginners.
No. Ubuntu Server, then onto the more advanced Arch, then Gentoo unless he wants to stick with Arch.
The natural process. Ubuntu will give him enough experience to roll with a big boy distro like Arch, cut the middle man out.

Have a (you) friendo.

Honestly, I wish I could help. I just recently gave up windows and couldn’t be happier. I don’t game on pc though. Good luck!

>I do need my Steam games to run
>need
>games

You don't need them. Go outside. Also install gentoo.

Thanks for the help boyos. Im gonna give all your suggestions a try before I start locking myself to one.

Fuck these guys though

Attached: 47.png (250x250, 62K)

Remember:
Ubuntu Server -> Arch (possibly -> Gentoo).

if i go outside then i don't need your shitty gentoo either, faggot.

Xubuntu or Kubuntu.
Wicked speed with insane customization or insanely feature rich with a lot of familiarity, choice is yours.

>gayming
fuck off to /v/

play native linux games where possible, use wine + dxvk (via lutris) to fill in the rest

if you want near zero compromise on performance, use gpu passthrough

You might consider a dual boot setup. Gaming on Linux is very limited and only worth it if all you do is play dota2 or CSGO all day every day. Wine and GPU passthrough VMs are too much hassle for most people.

Also, don't try to install Gentoo. It's this boards Boku no Pico.

You need gentoo so you can compile things while you're out. Computers are a waste of money unless they're working for you 24/7

Gentoo and Arch are among the most esoteric distros out there. That's why they're so popular on Jow Forums. Ubuntu and Mint will serve your purposes wonderfully.

The hardest thing to get used to is using the console (terminal, whatever) to do certain things, like installing software and changing more advanced settings. This is something you'll simply have to get used to- Windows' graphical layer over everything is both its greatest advantage (easy for normies) and its greatest disadvantage (extremely cumbersome, everything is in a different place).

If you're super concerned about the adjustment to using the terminal for things, you should take a look at KDE Neon. KDE Neon is based on Ubuntu (just like Mint), but uses the KDE desktop environment which is probably the most "complete" one, in terms of the number of things that you can do without a terminal.

It kinda boils down to this:
>terminal sounds uncomfy/ I want to customize the shit out of my desktop
KDE Neon
>I want a minimal learning curve
Linux Mint
>I am willing to learn a slightly different/weird desktop environment if it means I get earlier updates and marginally better support for my games
Ubuntu

>"HALP MEEEEE"
>28 FUCKING POSTS
>CTRL+F GENTOO
>ONLY 11 INSTANCES

FUCK YOU CUNTS

>I do need my Steam games to run
Look which ones have native Linux support or dual boot.

For games your best solution is to dual boot windows and linux

delete system32

but for real kde neon is great for an ex windowsfag, easier to install and maintain than debian, arch etc.

This

gentoo.org/get-started/

Attached: 1533262494309.jpg (284x283, 23K)

How about you stop being tech-illiterate and stop playing >m-m-muh bibeo gayms
There's nothing wrong with Windows.
If you fall for the Gentoo and Arch meme, you deserve everything bad that's gonna happen to you.