Why aren't you guys using the cinnamon desktop? (If you use a DE)

Why aren't you guys using the cinnamon desktop? (If you use a DE)

Just installed it on my arch machine and it's pretty slick. If yoire diametrically opposed to cinnamon, what de do you use and why?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 28K)

I used to use Cinnamon, then moved to MATE

Used to microstutter so I dropped it.
KDE plasma basically does everything it does and 10x more

They need a hook other than "It's simple"
Gnome is going that route by brute force and it's shit, but cinnamon has always been the simpleton.

I'll agree Cinnamon is a pretty nice DE but I prefer KDE. Better default applications, GOAT quicklaunch, insane customizability, etc.

Does KDE have that phone connect software or is that a meme?

i use i3 (laptop) or fluxbox (desktop)

What is KDE Connect?

It does and it's godly.

You can push images to imgur directly from the UI, Bluetooth share, VAULTS, copy/paste buffer, easy custom shortcuts/ icons in task bar, mad widgets that do useful stuff, software store that works, update alerts...

Attached: 1526080339130.jpg (736x736, 95K)

I use XFCE because it's snappier and uses less memory than Cinnamon

Attached: Screen.png (1920x1080, 168K)

KDE Connect? It's comfy af.

cinnamon is based on gtk3 so its shit
mate was pretty slick but then it got ported to gtk3 and now its shit
i discovered xfce and as long as it remains gtk2 it'll be my de of choice

That sounds pretty sweet, I'll check it out

Kubuntu 18.04 for max easy mode.

>it's pretty slick
installing an os for its looks.lol

Attached: 1395835663879.jpg (457x325, 25K)

>Calling Cinnamon an OS

Slick as in fast, easy to use and an enjoyable experience. :^)

Attached: leastintelligentcomment.jpg.png.jpg (1190x906, 88K)

I like Cinnamon, but it has way too many retard dependencies that hold me back from using it

Yeah, KDE Connect.

Other user already went into some of its features but, seriously - look into everything it can do. The level of connectivity is fucking fantastic.

Basically this. You can't remove the 'cinnamon-screensaver' package because the whole DE depends on it.

Really? That's pretty dumb. Do other environments have similarly retarded dependencies?

Attached: maxresdefault_1__01.jpg (291x100, 6K)

Gnome has heaps of them, other than that most DEs have a few but just ones that make sense (i3 needs i3blocks and i3status for example).

Gnome by itself does not have unnecessary dependencies

Not my screenshot

KDE is just as simple but very customisable. I use KDE on my desktop.

XFCE is also simple but it's extremely light weight and also, fairly customisable (maybe not to the KDE level but you can mess with a lot).

Because Xfce is all I need.

I use GNOME 3 because it's what I'm most familiar with and because the default experience on Fedora is quite good. I'm not really fond of DEs that are just variations on the "traditional" desktop experience.

>(maybe not to the KDE level but you can mess with a lot).
Oh my sweet summer child...

Attached: 1524023812204.png (1366x768, 854K)

I am using it and it's comfy as fuck, I'm impressed by how much they have been able to improve it

I love it. it's what gnome 3 should have been and it doesn't require systemd. kde is way too bloated and takes almost an entire day of compiling while cinnamon took about an hour

Attached: neofetch-2018-08-08-11-46-34-23583.png (1366x768, 806K)

>using gentoo
how much does your time worth?
my estimation is $0/hr

the installation and setup takes at least a day but after that everything goes by quickly since you've gotten all the bigger dependencies out of the way. it's also extremely fast and lightweight and just comfy

>cinnamon
It's just a gnome reskin
>arch
eww

After falling for the WM meme I realised that DE's really don't do anything special. Pretty much all they offer in general is an easily findable GUI to configure certain things. A GUI which you can still use with a WM anyway f you really don't want to configure with a text file. It all really doesn't matter anyway since you can configure your DE to work like a nice WM anyway and vice versa. I did notice when I tried KDE that it came with so much extra shit. There were 3 different calculators installed. For what purpose?

Dull. Looks like a Windows start menu clone.

I use LXDE and MATE

What Linux/DE will give me the best battery life while look good (or at least having the potential to look good with customization)
Currently using Elementary and my understanding is that Ubuntu is bad for battery life

Why would I use it over KDE?

>extremely fast and lightweight
that is applicable to almost all linux distros

can I theme it like it's 2001 and I'm still 10yo?

I use gnome because the workspaces and launcher with icons is ergnomic to get things done without giving any thought to manchikd twinkering. the muh ram is a meme, it works on my machine pretty well without gdm, and you can go barebones plus the gnome control center and network manager to connect to wifi. I know KDE is more resource efficient but it has a lot of shit that I simply don't use and it annoys me to have so many icons and menus. KISS. But KDE Connect looks comfy I might give it a try with some edits to keybind it like gnome

I guess but it's extremely minimal compared debian and especially arch

Get more cores, fag.

I'm doing pretty fine with 2

only if you spend the time to make it minimal and it's not even extremely minimal in comparison. You might save a few megabytes here and there not compiling shit you don't need but outside of a slightly smaller RAM or disk use you won't even notice it. The only use case where you would get worthwhile benefits are on the enterprise level where saving 1% of something somewhere could means tens of thousands of dollars.

well said user

>maybe not to the KDE level but you can mess with a lot
I can't actually tell if this is bait or not

Compile times decrease linearly with cores up to 10-16 depending on the program.

Yup, I'm switching arch for debian stable with backports. I prefer being minimal on resources than on storage, so gentoo no thanks. If it was optional to compile from source it would be almost the same as arch but a bit better(???). I don't like maintaining my own distro, I have obligations like any other person and I'm trying not too get drained by stuff already other people made for me lol. Of course I understand what it offers to compile almost all on your own. Like you even read 100% of the time the source code to check any botnet/malware code, in case you don't then you are better just using anything else. Sure removing "needsd" dependencies are the most sane stuff it offers, but come on, it doesn't affects that much. And also is okay if you feel good with it, using whatever you want good for you. You are also learning some stuff but don't say it's practical (like at all) Jow Forumsentooman. I mean it probably is when you are paranoid, but I know most aren't and didn't even read the source of emerge / portage, so they don't know if the output on the terminal is actually true.damn pills hit hard im going to sleep

I use LXDE because I don't like bloat

how about lxqt?

Alright, once and for all, what is the best Flavour?
>Cinnamon
>MATE
>KDE
>XFCE

Cinnamon

>All these KDEfags
What happened? Did they actually make KDE usable this time?

Pretty usable.

KDE shills are one of the most annoying people in the linux community. gnome devs are 2nd. kde has improved but it still has issues and it still feels fragile

I use MATE and have no reason to switch

I use it on Debian, but I don't really care much I mostly use term and Firefox.
I just can't use xfce or gnome cancer

i actually do, it's pretty lightweight if you don't use the default panel

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-08 14-05-43.png (1600x900, 56K)

>t. btw i use arch

nope

But I do. The few things I want to tweak I can do easily, while not getting bogged down by hundreds of available options. It also has surprisingly good high-dpi scaling.
The one thing I dislike is it's high memory usage. Not a problem on my desktop, but definitely on my old laptop.

How in the lord's name do you change the shitty default XFCE clicking sounds? I like some feedback when clicking, but that sound is godawful on most distros and GhostBSD. Went through all kinds of crazy bullcrap to try change it but never figured it out, I don't even care if Jow Forums thinks I'm a brainlet.
Yes it's important I love XFCE if it weren't for that damn ear raping sound.

>software store that works

I really love KDE but that's not true...Discover is a buggy shitfest.

the widgets just look gross
why does it float?
why does it have a tail?
why is the menu so W I D E ?
why is it inconsistent with UI of other applications like the file manager?
mate is indisputably the better option. I like xfce-panel and settings menus better but mate has more support for multimonitor stuff
xfce is pulling in tons of gtk3cancer if you werent aware, mate is soon going to be lighter weight
lxde is dogshit and it is exclusively the fault of openbox
doesnt support lowering the backlight, i tried it and it gave me eyecancer. using it with kwin is pretty nice though. the menu is searchable which is nice, but it has random bugs like text and icons vanishing or turning transparent boxes
firensOS :^)

>the widgets just look gross
>[...]
>why is it inconsistent with UI of other applications like the file manager?
All those things (except the wide menu) are the result of using specific themes. Want different icons? Use a different icon theme. Want a different menu? Use a different desktop theme.
Also if you stay consistent with your theme choice, then your UI will be as well.

Attached: Themes_001.png (800x632, 21K)

the scrollbar in the menu is inconsistent no matter what you use, same with panel applets (roundend corners, floating shit from gnome3)

What the hell are you talking about?

Attached: 3.17 AM.png (640x480, 89K)

It's basically all the issues of GNOME with a shittier UI. I'll stay on Xfce for now.

You can use KDE Connect without installing KDE

>diametrically opposed
That doesn't mean what you think it means.

>Using a DE
You fucked up user.

The shape and color of the scrollbar is the same for me everywhere. The only difference is that the menu window doesn't end right after the scrollbar, so in my case I have a millimetre of additional white space on the right. If that's what you are referring to then I guess it's a fair complaint. Personally I never noticed it until now.

I'm also not sure what you are talking about regarding the panel applets. Could you post an example?

Yeah, just 50 dependencies!

because im using the superiorest DE

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-09 09-48-53.png (1440x900, 1.31M)

I would like to use it on Gentoo without systemD, using the regular Xscreensaver, and no pulse audio. I think I'll live with dbus and consolekit, but everything else I mentioned should not be a dependency.

Cinnamon is good but KDE ist better

The only distro Discover works more or less bug-free is KDE Neon (aka Ubuntu LTS + latest KDE software)

wow that actually looks good

t. Debian/Ubuntu user

I use Cinnamon as well

I still haven't bothered learning to adapt and to shit for autists and sperglords eg i3/i3wm, openbox and such they're just not for me not just yet anyway I can't find nor tap into my true inner autism for those

Which distro that is not gentoo lets you easily ignore dependencies? Can't you do the same on debian?

XFCE. It's perfect.

139 installed packages on Void Linux for kdeconnect

wtf

i use fedora cinnamon. bretty gud except for the apps menu; scrolling is kinda laggy

It is hogging system resources and cannot render at proper speeds on my T420 laptop. I know it's an old machine, and I know cinnamon wants to be friendly and nice looking, but I would rather have performance over looks.

This is also the mindset I had when marrying my wife. Not a 10/10 for looks, but she performs well where she should.

Attached: 20090914.gif (468x1516, 181K)

>This is also the mindset I had when marrying my wife. Not a 10/10 for looks, but she performs well where she should.
So does the 10/10 girl. You just aren't capable of satisfying her needs.

Download new distro.iso && boot usb stick
OMGWTF have they done?
This is a fucking mess.
Aw Jesus.
Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
Oh well, goodbye cinnamon I guess.
It was good while it lasted.
Sad.
Oops, I accidentally downloaded the Mate iso.
Download cinnamon iso && good as ever.
̇͜>̇
Mate. Not even once.

Yeah I hopped to Kubuntu 18.04 recently and I'm very glad I did. got it setup on my desktop and laptop along wth KDE connect on my phone for max workflow comfort.

In Gentoo, you don't compile manually - the package manager handles the heavy lifting. Maintaining a Gentoo system generally shouldn't take a lot of effort from the user.

Attached: 1532901838418.png (1920x1200, 969K)

And even then, it's more worth getting it done in less time. Compile resources is also a good % instead of just getting it done by others

no proper hi-dpi support. KDE is the only DE that handles 1.5x scaling right

All DEs based on gnome-shell stutter horribly under the slightest load or IO. I don't have that problem with kde and old gtk2 DEs.
I guess the "C++ programmers are retarded" meme doesn't hold true for complicated GUI programming.

why use a de?

I don't understand the compile times meme either. Every modern computer has at least six cores and as an amd fag i had six cores since 2011 so i had no trouble setting sane nice and jobs values to let it compile updates in the background while i was busy playing games or working/shitposting.
If you have cores, go gentoo, after the initial setup it is a breeze to use and there are many inbuilt utilities to help soften the rolling release blow. Most of the things that could go wrong 8 years ago are nowadays automated by portage so there isn't even much to do apart from you updating your kernel manually, if you wish to do so.

>if yoire diametrically opposed to cinnamon, what de do you use and why?
I'm not exactly diametrically opposed to cinnamon, I just prefer lighter weight stuff such as a wm exclusively. As I'm still figuring out bspwm and polybar, I'm using LXDE at the moment cause its the lightest weight DE
>being this retarded
How does it feel?