What can be programmed in C?

Like, what kind of programs are best written in C? I don't want my C experience to be painful

Attached: 1531853843124.jpg (400x400, 17K)

Other urls found in this thread:

learnbchs.org/
tools.suckless.org/
github.com/thosakwe/t2b
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

how long until you're fast enough c writer that actually really saves time by utilizing c instead of somefeng else

Attached: 1532549450680.jpg (528x352, 23K)

vulnerable, unsafe, badly written, and unmaintainable ones

Attached: 012_0.jpg (1273x1794, 270K)

Microcontrolers

the timeless ones that are supposed to survive multiple hardware and OS migrations and reliably run for decades

that what C++ is for

Kernals

When somebody truly understands how powerful C can be and not just memeing, it allows to implement very efficient and elegant solutions. For example, I really like to do string manipulation in C, because pointer arithmetics is wonderful.

>For example, I really like to do string manipulation in C,
Really? I find string operations to be the #1 awful thing about C. Making a JSON parser would be absolutely painful

Firmware, drivers, kernel, the most important/performance sensitive parts of program that's otherwise made in a higher level language (like C modules for Python)

I think it's a matter of experience in a certain programming style.
I have written a toy language and a regex library in C, and I was amazed how this language allows you create something exactly the way you imagine it.
Many people hate null termination but it's quite efficient when you can pass around memory addresses pointing to anywhere in a string without any overhead and just iterating through it with *ptr++.

>not painful
>beginner with c

choose one

gamedev pretty much revolves around C and C++, so there's that. is also right

t. node.js atom-using zoomer who thinks any kind of low-level programming is bad and has no place at all

>t. too lazy to learn and practice
C is mainly used for operating systems, embedded systems device drivers (ie more low level stuff) but in the past it was used for games, compilers, network tools, text editors and pretty much anything. nowadays C++ is used for game engines, and other heavy pieces of software which need performance like audio/graphics workstations.
It's hard to go wrong with C providing you learn how to use it effectively and all that takes is practice

> I don't want my [...] experience to be painful
Then you should learn Rust instead.

I can guarantee your trash didn't handle Unicode properly.

Web applications: learnbchs.org/

Perhaps he doesn't target that. I think it is completely reasonable to say "I will never have such a use case, so it is a trade off worth making".

It's not a trash, it recognizes perfectly every letter in the desired domain, which is my native language and English. I couldn't care less about your gay couple holding hands emojis.
However, there is a wide selection of libraries available for C, and you can find a unicode string lib after 10 seconds of searching, so that's not an argument.

That actually looks like the perfect web development stack :o I thought you were joking when i first read this

It's not a "web development stack", it's just some guy proposing you write your web apps as if it's 1992.

And neither do the standard libraries of C and C++ to be honest.

Maybe some small cli utilities, tiny libraries. The lack of namespaces and encapsulation makes it unsuitable for anything large. Fight me faggots.

Why you would use C over php7 for simple tasks boggles my mind.

>Making a JSON parser would be absolutely painful
for a nigger like you, maybe. tokenizing is the by far easiest shit in making any parser/compiler etc.
after that you're dealing with tokens, not strings.

wrong

Mostly hardware related shit, like operating systems,kernels, drivers for hardware. Also compilers like GCC and clang and network shit. It used to used for vidya, but C++ is probably better for that since that lends itself well to the OOP paradigm, but it isn't impossible to make a game engine in C.

(You) seemed to be lost. is that way. Take your idiotic memes with you on the way out.

Attached: Retard.jpg (474x530, 44K)

Or none of those if you know what you are doing

Attached: 1527520683193.jpg (998x720, 90K)

I bet everything you have ever written has just been a wrapper around c++lmao

Modern game developers that don't write their own engines usually use c# or lua or some shit
I'm trying to mod half life and the c++ mess in it is shit

This is only true of indie devs. Larger studios/games almost exclusively use proprietary stuff in C/C++ combo
t. game dev

What kind of studios are your thinking ? I think it would be counterproductive to make all the engine workflow in c++, adding a layer of abstraction can allow more people to program the game
And iirc a lot of AAA use ue4 or unity that have their scripting language

Most studios. CDPR, 343, 2K, From, Nintendo, even Blow's stuff... everyone's using their own toolchain. In many cases its iterative from previous versions of their own engine, but it is almost never UE4 or Unity. There are of course successful games in UE4 and Unity but those are generally coming out of small studios and are relatively few by comparison.

UE4 and Unity are great for small teams and for prototyping. Usually, though, fully fleshing out the idea of the game requires making your own tooling or engine to some degree.

Lemme guess, you use that shitty weeb pic in your autistic riced Arch desktop while writing verbose fizzbuzz in Python and listening to lo-fi hip hop trash, and have over the years learned from Jow Forums shitposters that
>le C is bad
I bet you unironically installed Gentoo at one point in time.

Söy bait

seconding this even if animefag

Everything your computer touches can be brogrammed in C

To be honest I think most jonathan blow games could have been achieved on a mainstream engine
Still I enjoy his programming streams and the language he is making, even if his cockiness is annoying sometimes

Nothing is wrong with Gentoo, it's one of the few non-binary distros. And anyone who uses it would appreciate C given kernel and userland is built on C.

C++ is just C syntax with a ton of shit added in and a different programming style, right?

tools.suckless.org/

You're confusing C with C++

Attached: snap.png (640x360, 236K)

this

Let me guess - you need an adult to hold your widdle hand and stop you from running into the road, too.

you can program microcontrollers

Cringe and bluepilled

Nearly the entire English speaking internet, all major operating systems, and most standard document formats now use some kind of unicode encoding, so that in fact is actually a completely retarded trade off to make, for any reason beyond incompetence.

Anything that needs to be highly performance. Games, stock trading applications, hardware drivers, etc

Attached: downloadfile-2.jpg (852x480, 31K)

>InCel detected

>Ass blasted InCel
C is confusing as shit.

no C++ is C with classes.

Funny, I consider strings to be the only thing in C that is total dogshit and best left to other languages or a library if possible

Don't forget OOP.

>C++
>more vulnerable and unsafe than C

Attached: 1526468919856.jpg (625x626, 76K)

It's actually C with closures. Get with the times grandpa.

It's not bait, he probably has no idea about C++'s memory safety features. Most people who pretend to seriously use C form all their opinions from a position of ignorance of other languages.

Things that don't need manually allocated heap memory or threads. But only if it requires stack memory allocation.
Stuff < 1000 lines.
Tools for packing bitfields. Then again, there are already tools like github.com/thosakwe/t2b
If you have no choice, like in most cases of .
Also, if you are too retarded for C++, Rust or Ada.
Depends, but you really have to be bad at somefeng else.
based, woke and redpilled

>Most people who pretend to seriously use C form all their opinions from a position of ignorance of other languages.
This, the same applies to Lisp.

Mac OS X uses lots of C++

That doesn't mean he has such a use case...

UE4 uses c++

Its best suited for low level brainlet killing software

>vulnerable
Not if you properly test your code
>unsafe
Well-written C is safe
>badly written
C programmers have to maintain a certain level of quality, as if their lives depend on it
>unmaintainable
C is the only high level language that works on all computer architectures ever devised including the ones made before there were compilers

C code gets peopled killed

Bad code gets people killed
It doesn't matter what language it's written in
Bad code will always have bad security and bad reliability
If we just punished people for writing bad code, there would be less of it