I hate linux

so. ive been trying to install linux for the past 2 days now since i bought a secondary ssd for my laptop. (note: trying). i came on here and asked people for their opinions on different distros and a beginner friendly one and everyone recommended ubuntu. well, downloaded ubuntu, rufus and made a live usb to boot from, went into my bios and booted aaaaaand..... nothing. blackscreen.
after a bit of googling and trying (among much other stuff) "nomodeset" as a start parameter to prevent linux from loading my GPU drivers on boot to render the splash screen, i got a bit further. from then on it loaded the splash screen, filled one dot of the loading bar, then the next, and the next and the next but not the last one. never. it always stopped exactly there. i googled for 2 hours but couldnt find anything on it. so, i tried a different distro. downloaded centOS because ive used it at my university before and had at least a tiny amount of experience. made a bootstick and booted and.... didnt work. straight back to the bios. next distro. linux mint cinnamon. couldnt boot either, blackscreen again. tried the nomodeset again and: it worked! i actually came to installing the OS this time. partitioned it for a swap area, gave it 20 GB for the root folder and around 250 GB for the /home area for all my stuff. installed it, rebooted and.... even with nvidia drivers, it crashed. next distro. linux mint mate. same stuff as before, nomodeset, install, partitioning, everything works. says its running in software rendering mode but fine. installed nvidia drivers, rebooted and... it... worked? used it for like 20 mins, checked out the package manager, the browser, googled a bit, etc. then i decided to put "nomodeset" into my default linux startup file. well, one "sudo xed /etc/default/grub" later, i updated grub and rebooted. and this time, blackscreen again, it froze on the login screen. thrown it off my pc now, ill stick to windows, that works at least.

TLDR: im too stupid for linux.

Attached: xdsmillisarecoolxd.jpg (246x200, 4K)

just install linux mint

Use Arch instead, so you can install the proper drivers for your video chip.

honestly, why? why the hell would i bother? what does linux give me except i can brag about how secure my system is and that windows is a backdoor infested botnet? oh yeah, less compatibility. if it wasnt such an absolute bitch to install i could at least have tried it, thats what i wanted to do in the end.

Attached: psn.jpg (249x246, 10K)

My experience with Linux
>install Ubunutu
>everything works fine
>install LXLE
>everything works fine
>install Fedora
>everything works fine
>install Trisquel
>everything works fine
>install OpenSUSE
>everything works fine
You seem to be one unlucky bastard, OP.

GNU/Linux has better software than Wangblows and is free as in freedom.

ubuntu always gives me the system error detected, please send us reports (no detail what happened or what is in the report besides full unencrypted coredumps obviously) in 1 week tops

biggest advantage, but also only advantage. software might be better, but thats because there is also much less.

sad thing is, tried it on my shitty old laptop, worked. fine. everytime. every distro. tried it on my parents old pc. worked. every time. but the second i try use it myself, on my proper laptop, it just goes "nu uh, fuck you."

Attached: faginabubl.jpg (667x593, 242K)

let me guess, you have a HP laptop?

nope.

Not the same user , but i have to say that it works just fine on my hp pavilion dv7 with an amd apu

Linux is for technical people and professional, I can see that you're on the consumer side of gee, not a professional or a hobbyist creator. Pls, consider installing Windows or OS X, those are designed for people like you, people with no technical knowledge nor patience.

Also please, do not post out of Intel VS AMD threads, Chinkshits General, Smartphone threads, etc... Those are designed for you and people like you.

Perhaps things changed since I tried it (14.04 LTS).

If you want to use modern hardware (and if you still have the motivation for another attempt) you could try using Fedora.

Have you considered you haven't made a bootable USB correctly? Methods differ for various distros.

I know that feel OP. 3 days ago finally decided to give Linux another shot as a dual boot. Download Linux mint and made a bootable USB. Even pre made a nice 300gb empty partition for it.

Tried to install...and it only gave me the option to overwrite my entire fucking harddrive. I could install as 'something else' so I figured that was the dual boot option right? Well it may have fucking been for all I knew but it damned well didn't just install to my partition!

Apparently you can only qipe your entire drive for mint but they included a hard.disk partition tool...maybe I could've installed with this but there were zero instructions and no clarity for the mystery tools usage.

So yeah fuck Linux forever now. Used to be you burn a Ubuntu or mandriva disc (it's been awhile damnit) and you get the dual boot option right up front with clear and simple set up. Even a fucktard could set up dual boot in minutes!

Well congratulations Linux you've officially went FUCKING BACKWARDS! Well if this is the kind of 'improvement' Linux has undergone in the last 8 years then keep it the fuck away from me. I want no part in this shit.

your comment somehow offends me, even if i am the type of guy to not get offended by ANYTHING usually. i am very patient with everything, ive been pouring around 12 hours into installing linux the last two days. "i see that youre [..] not a professional or a hobbyist creator" yeah because you would know. ive got a whole range of small games under my belt, ranging from entire engines to 3d software renderers, small neural networks etc. im working in Computer science at a server company in germany, but i guess i dont have any "technical knowledge nor patience". people like you piss me off the most honestly.

Jesus fucking Christ, the absolute stage of this board... People can't even repatriation hard drivers on Windows.

If your hardware isn't supported by linux (specifically laptops I guess) then just don't use linux

>repatriation hard drivers

Attached: lowqualitybait.jpg (123x123, 3K)

State*

Repartition*
Happy now? Surely this improved Jow Forums immediately.

ive read somewhere that the intel coffee lake architecture isnt supported in all linux versions yet, so i looked at some dumps and tried "i915.alpha_support=1" in the start params, to no success. gpu shouldnt be an issue in mid 2018, just a regular old gtx1060.

I did partition the hard drive on windows dipshit.

Linux USED to have a dual boot option with a nice slider to determine the space allotments. Or you could dual boot using a premade separate non nt partition.

Those options were both gone in exchange for this convoluted shit. What happened? Where did the simple 'just werks' options go?

it did, thank you.

(just pissed atm, dont take it personally)

it still has that. at least the distros i tried. i didnt use it myself but it had an option that went "run linux mint alongside another OS" or smth

Well I used to use mint fluxbox edition and back in the day that was an easy install. Guess I figured that sort of thing had been semi standard.

Only reason I wanted to try again was I heard the compatibility of .Deb, .rpm, .tar and such was mostly over...

Still have nightmares about trying to install program from .tar...shudder

Speaking of back in the day whatever happened to fluxbox? Is puppy still around?

So you were too dumb to figure out how to dual boot?
I mean, Debian still has the option to install on the largest free space.

>Linux USED to have a dual boot option
Out of ALL THINGS the kernel is most definitely not at fault here.
Blame the mint developers of the installer, also I am sure this is a user error.

I know this is bait, but your stupid ass should have tried a VM first. Linux takes a few tries to get right because you're enviably gonna fuck it up and have to reinstall, at least with VM you can revert to a snapshot or reinstall without fucking your windows machine.

how the fuck is this bait? im genuinly venting my hate for linux here.

by the way, it doesnt "take a few tries to get right". it works on every machine flawlessly except the one im currently actively using.

Maybe it was user error. But that's not the point here. The point here is this used to be too easy to fuck up.

Now it's worse.

Me being a yard is not the issue when this particular tard used to be able to get a dual OS system running with ease but now cannot.

>The point here is this used to be too easy to fuck up.
Again. Debian still has this feature.
Blame the mint people, and I agree that this is retarded and the option should be easily available.

Since when was this ever the case? Shit used to 'just werk' I've never had to install Linux more than once to 'get it right'. How far backwards have things gone?

Debian only has non proprietary shit though...kinda want to avoid anything so entrenched in ideology, seems a recipe for an inferior or unstable product.

Is ubuntu still normie mode simple? Is puppy still kicking? Could always toss that on a USB and fuck around a bit if it's still alive.

>Debian only has non proprietary shit though
No?
It just isn't enabled by default.

>Is ubuntu still normie mode simple?
Yes.
>Is puppy still kicking?
I don't know.

Thx. Guess I'll head over to the Linux threads and ask around.

I don't get it. You really just need to click "Next" a couple of times...

>Linux is for technical people and professional,

Welcome to 2003, lol

>nvidia
Found your problem. Do not even try installing proprietary drivers, you don't need them anyway. I suppose nouveau should work out of the box though I don't know really cause I don't use novideo garbage.