Should I learn this meme ?

Should I learn this meme ?

Attached: powershell.png (640x480, 342K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/1617294160/
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6D474E721138865A
github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell
powershellgallery.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Do you deploy/administrate many windows boxen?

No im a dev

learn what you need when you need it

Try this for fun
ls $env:systemroot -R | Where-Object {$_.name.contains(".dll")} |% {ri $_.FullName}

no, install gentoo

Its acutally the best thing microsoft has created.

But is there a reason you need to use it?

What does that do, remove the .dll extension from all files?

I needed to do some backups and deployment and used powershell

I know python

Powershell is nice, but then comes some quirk that fucks you up for hours.
Imagine that the fact that you used some echo in a function, to check variable value during debuing, to completely change the output of the function... since its making tuple because not only the thing after the return keyword is returned

google powershell gotchas and read them

anyway, its useful for sysadmins as me, but for code monkeys... not as much

Nice try next time hide dll

It's actually just another botnet tool like visual studio. It reports to their servers

Your command can be made shorter. Parameters on the pipeline bind to PS* automatic properties like PSPath so you don't need to constantly write scriptblocks and use fullnames or whatever. It's only a problem when fileinfo variables are used as direct arguments, but that was solved in a newer version of Powershell Core. If you're interested I can explain this a bit further.
gci $env:SystemRoot -r|? extension -EQ .dll|ri -f

Run it like this to observe what would happen. This one is harmless.
gci $env:SystemRoot -r|? extension -EQ .dll|ri -f -WhatIf

Only Powershell Core if you're too dumb to set a variable.

What's a good learning resource for powershell?

It depends on your usage. I had to learn a bit of it in my 'operation system' class at university. It can come in handful and, if used correctly, is more powerful than bash.

I personally use GNU/Linux and have no intention of becoming a Windows sysadmin or anything similar so it is pretty useless for me in my everyday life

What is it for?

replaces simple command line with a more obtuse less intuitive system

Yo Jow Forums if you need some help with Powershell, ask here, I can help.

This
amazon.com/dp/1617294160/

Thanks user. It's easy to find a starting point for learning webdev shitstacks but less so for skills businesses will pay you for.

When starting out I also went through this playlist. Contains lots of short tutorials for beginners. It's by the same author.
youtube.com/playlist?list=PL6D474E721138865A

Next to "normal" installation of Powershell, there's also Powershell Core that's cross-platform. It has to be installed separately, but works side-by-side and is for the most part compatible. Only Powershell Core will receive active development, the original will stay at version 5 and receive only bug fixes when needed. Powershell Core also lacks ISE, an application to write and interactively debug scripts. You're encouraged to use something else, like Visual Studio Code.
github.com/PowerShell/PowerShell

User-developed modules are hosted here:
powershellgallery.com/
The modules there can be installed on your machine.

Google powershell help you incel

Nice trips

Just use updog to learn PS

Is powershell good if im just a dev?
I mostly work with sql server and c#/vb

Also can you use it like bash?

then it's great for developing android or C++ related stuff
roight ?

It's partially C# on the command line. Powershell is heavily based on .NET so that knowledge can be easily transfered when learning and using Powershell. You can call native .NET methods and classes, compile C# code, import .NET assemblies and much else right on the command line.

Thanks for the tips, should I switch to Core if I want to be able to use it to automate MS products (O365, server management etc) long-term?

Nothing but results for the Powershell 'Get-Help' command and a couple clickbait articles. Googling 'Powershell guide' just gives you Microsoft's trash guided tour tutorial. Meanwhile search any other scripting languages and you're up to your dick in tutorials.

>Thanks for the tips, should I switch to Core if I want to be able to use it to automate MS products (O365, server management etc) long-term?
In general that type of automation relies on modules that those products provide. Some of them are available on the Powershell gallery, a link to which I previously provided. Tutorials concerning Powershell interaction with those systems should indicate what modules should be installed.
You can use Core to learn Powershell, however as most learning stuff is written for the "normal" version a few rare things may not be present. Most notable is Out-Gridview cmdlet that render any input as a GUI grid table. It relies on WPF, which isn't available in .NET Core that is used by Powershell Core.

>Nothing but results for the Powershell 'Get-Help' command and a couple clickbait articles
Get-Help is a useful for discoverability. Run this to receive articles concerning various topics get-help -Category HelpFile
After see the articles by running get-help [topic name]
To get currently available cmdlets and functions run Get-Command or the gcm alias.
To get aliases run Get-Alias or the gal alias.

Attached: 201808001.png (1440x771, 108K)

Yes. It's like unix if it were good.
Scripts and commands are verbose and well documented, so instead of memorizing and using obscure "sekrit klub" recursive acronym in-joke commands all day, you write reusable elegant scripts that can be easily read and understood by anyone.

Attached: 1524376541556.jpg (955x1350, 1.04M)

Really made me think.

powershell is the only microsoft meme that i approve of

bashbabbies get btfo by objects

god i wish that were me

unless you're doing administrative shit no not really.

not sure. its useful, but then desired state configuration shows up like its the kool-aid man.