/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources: Please spend at least a minute to check a web search engine with your question.
*Search: qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.
*Many free software projects have active mailing lists.
*Many free software projects have an active bugzilla where you can check and report errors.

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Jow Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux
>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page
>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
cheat.sh/
>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
grymoire.com/Unix/
>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html
>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Previous thread:

Attached: 1497522034945.jpg (1024x671, 1.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

knowyourmeme.com/memes/void
aur.archlinux.org/packages/discord/
discordapp.com/privacy)
spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html
warosu.org/g/thread/67080085
wiki.winehq.org/Download
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

gnu is a plague

I'm the guy who suggested dd. Its not meant for that but I'm guessing he wants to test the speed of his hard drive. Dd if=zero of=whatever can be used as well as dd if=file1 of=file2 does work. It tells you how long it took. Unless he wants to use rsync which would be slower

That's a trolley (or streetcar), not a train.

no u

Attached: 1497768441708.png (512x415, 349K)

>Friendly Loonix Threda
>Come in to ask a question to in my journey to learn linux
>Given command
>Put it in terminal and it nukes my entire OS

Hahah x---DDDD XDDD D HAHAHAHAHHAH THANKS GUYS WHAT A FRIENDLY THREDA RIGHT?? ALRIGHJT GO FUCK YOURSELF

Attached: 1532938893264.jpg (2234x1428, 961K)

are you the ogre@ogre brainlet who read "no preserve root" and thought it was a good idea to run?

Why would you run stuff posted by strangers on the internet without at least looking what it does? You're the retard here

Blame linux torvalds for making such an insecure os.

Tomorrow’s the big day. Gonna be finishing my migration from being a Windows 7 fag since 2009 and an XP fag since whenever that abomination first came out to going balls deep into being a full Linux user.
Gonna start off with the Mint distro in Cinnamon flavour and then move to either XFCE or KDE. Then I’m looking to jump Distros to something much more complicated, once I get past the initial learning curve.

Any advice for getting past that curve? As a coding fag I’ve always thought it’d be easy for me, but I don’t even know what it is and what to expect, I just know everyone’s been saying there’s a steep learning curve when first using Linux for the first time universally. Any recommendations for what distro to rely on once I “graduate” from Mint?

Attached: 50C6334D-1143-4A81-8859-0772DC1009F3.png (240x233, 38K)

Already sent him a tweet regarding his shit OS

>mint
why do people keep falling for this
install OpenSuse

Leave a 20GB empty partition for yourself and install gentoo there while you still have your Mint.

You're an idiot on multiple levels, soon to reach retardation levels.

Distributions aren't a ladder that you progress on. I suggest you look up and figure out what a distribution actually is. Then I recommend you stop being a retard and use Ubuntu, which while not technically a "core" distribution, at least warrants an existence.

>coding fag
There is no hope for you. Consider euthanasia.

>OpenSuse
install Arch

I’m just new and it looks “familiar enough” and a bit more user friendly. I’m by no means shilling for it, if it’s shit then it’s shit. I did my own research though all over the Linux distributors and Mint is just the one that looks good for me. Like I said, I’ll probably be jumping ship from Mint to something else, maybe OpenSuse as you recommend. Is OpenSuse a good one to move to after I get my taste of Mint?

not beginner friendly
mint is just debian with bloat

>Arch
install gentoo

Just leaned today about background processes. This makes you reboot in the background: # reboot &
Note the &.

Just install ubuntu and use it for the rest of your life. more "advanced" distros are useless in the real world and serve no purpose execpt for elitism on the internet. just use ubuntu

Attached: 1531885135064.jpg (1200x900, 197K)

I also started with mint, but i'm on manjaro now and i'm enjoying it quite a bit.

yes

>trust Jow Forums
>get memed on
>act surprised

>gentoo
install Source Mage

I get that it isn’t a ladder. I also get though that some of the distros are slightly more difficult to use and take longer to set up. I want to touch base on something easy and fast first, and then decide if I want to go straight for OpenSuse or Arch or straight up Gentoo. Plus, it’s all free, so I’m not burning money uselessly like some iOS mong that upgrades to the latest computer or phone every time one comes out.
If you’ve got a better recommendation for how to enter Linux, then I’m all ears.

It clearly says "GNU/Linux thread".

Someone put this in the OP: DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES VISIT DISTROWATCH
Would silver lots of headache.

>Someone
You mean the /fglt/ administration?

What is the best Linux for professional gaming?

gentoo

GNU Linux-libre. Less blobs = less lag.

Good to keep that terminal available for other jobs while you're rebooting.

Attached: 1516131831925.png (125x125, 2K)

why are you spamming this?

4.15.0-generic

While extremely unfriendly post it actually brings a lot of truth.

If you want to experiment - sure, go around distrohopping and waste time.

But I can assure you most people using GNU/Linux for anything other than "fucking around" after months/years of distrohopping go back to the "Big Three" of distributions, aka Ubuntu, openSUSE or Fedora because these are the only three distributions supported by a corporate entity that actually has an incentive to keep it around.

Ubuntu is a great starter distro, great learner distro and considering it's history, userbase, developer base and popularity it will remain the go-to distribution probably for the rest of your life.
And since they switched to Gnome as their default graphical environment you really drop yourself into an OS which by all means can be considered "bog standard operating system" to the point where some companies like Dell offer it preinstalled on their premium laptops/workstations.

The only other Linux distribution which can say the same is RHEL - which for obvious monetary reasons can't be recommended.

Not to mention if you're using some specialized software that wasn't made by a sane group of people by installing it on Ubuntu you have the biggest chance of actually having it supported by a 3rd party.

I need advice, help. I want to scan the net for active websites. I know that I need to scan random ip's on the port 80 to find active websites. How would you do it?

pls rember that wen u feel slave or spy
never forget softwear that is free

wen softwear is proprity alway rember free softwear

Attached: 1493142698759.jpg (1200x1200, 223K)

Is making threads with an image that will be a deleted a meme now?

What's your definition of meme?

Does any of the systemd memes affect me as enduser?

I have three monitors plugged into my GPU, two 1080p one 1440p. The 1440p one is always black and recognized but only recognized to the point that it knows the monitor is plugged in.
This has happened across distros. Works fine on Windows. What should I do? On Debian right now

Childhood is installing gentoo
Adulthood is programming your own os in binary

You've already been affected by the "memes" as evident by your retardation displayed in the way you ask questions.

Is void linux a meme?

Work in progress. knowyourmeme.com/memes/void

In this context, something copied on purpose, usually intended for comedic effect.

huh?

Attached: MX.png (294x190, 8K)

i++ is one helluva thing brah.

>mint ahead of debian
brainlets are too powerful

Help guys.
I am using Xubuntu 16.04. Wanted to record some music as I have done in the past, but now my preamp (connected via USB, it's a Mindprint Trio USB) doesn't show up as an input device in Audacity or pavucontrol. I can see it with lsusb but it doesn't have a name:

$ lsusb
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 008: ID 06a3:8020 Saitek PLC Eclipse Keyboard
Bus 001 Device 018: ID 1654:0104
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 062a:7223 Creative Labs
Bus 001 Device 007: ID 17ef:100a Lenovo ThinkPad Mini Dock Plus Series 3
Bus 001 Device 003: ID 0a5c:217f Broadcom Corp. BCM2045B (BDC-2.1)
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

I haven't fucked with my audio drivers since at least the last time I recorded something, other than normal apt upgrade.

Any idea what I can do? Yes, I've tried logging in and out of my account.

I need a distro that can actually have ethernet connection after waking up from suspend. All the *ubuntus network breaks after wake up and other than reboot nothing helps.

Attached: W9OpUaDqQ2x2GxmTp75PtwqWFr3gnCKwxDzptAhc3fE.png (785x757, 121K)

Update: Neither full reboot nor unplugging or switching the preamp off and on helped. (various combinations of unplugging, switching off, plugging back in, switching back on)

help i just tried to install fedora 28 and it stops at Started GNOME Display Manager and if i try to do command-line-only boot it asks me for the localhost login even though it didn't ask me to set one up

Haven't tried Linux in about 8 years. Figured why the fuck not, so a couple of questions.

First is puppy Linux still around? Used to have tons of fun with that. Secondly does it support steam on A full install?

Next has compatibility and ease of installing software improved? Am I still gonna have to worry about .rpm .deb or God forbid .tar or .bin? Trying to Install .tar used to be the stuff of nightmares. Either way is it all compatible and dumbass friendly yet?

And just as a small matter of curiosity i never see fluxbox discussed anymore, is it dead?

Attached: t08jOoV.jpg (550x866, 65K)

write a script that suspends the machine then restarts the network adapter after resuming and use that instead

It's supposed to work after resume. What you have there my friend is known as a bug. Another distro *might* fix it, or maybe it's hardware specific and you'll find the same bug on any distro.

Tips to make Gnome on Debian as easy and secure as possible?
Pic related is my setup for a 85 yo guy.

Attached: Capture du 2018-08-09 19-30-27.png (1366x768, 533K)

Ok archpros, so to install Discord on my Manjaro i had to write the following into the terminal

sudo pacman -Sy flatpak --needed
flatpak install flathub com.discordapp.Discord

Can anyone explain to me exactly what it means? I mean, iirc pacman is the arch equivalent of apt-get but beyond that i'm lost. These commands did work by the way.

> Discord on my Manjaro
pack your shit and hid the fucking road.

Attached: apu looking.png (657x527, 235K)

Damn what a douchebag.

I installed ubuntu and I have nvidia 9400 GT in the computer.
With default drivers videos lag like shit, both youtube and regular video players.

So i wanted to install better drivers. I went into the additional drivers window in the software center and clicked to install the additional drivers.
They installed, but every time i reboot my PC fails to boot to desktop and i can only get as far as the login screen. I have to force remove the drivers every time and it is really annoying.

So i went to the nvidia.com and downloaded drivers from there and what i got is NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.107.run
What do i do with it?
And is it a different driver then the one in the additional drivers window? Because if it's the same one then it's useless.
This is so damn frustrating ;_;

unironically gonna try this rn

Don't expect to get any help here. The OP is deceiving and the thread is basically so people who are good with linux can feel high and mighty shitting on people who do not know.

Unironically ask on reddit or a dedicated Ubuntu forum if you want actual help.

Attached: 1533239302009.jpg (316x160, 4K)

didn't work

Attached: 19:47:37 2018-08-09.png (866x356, 51K)

>What do i do with it?
stick it up in your ass.

Alternatively, you can chmod +x NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.107.run it then run it with
sudo ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-340.107.run
then follow the on screen instructions.

install non-free drivers from the repo

or what said but then expect it to break after kernel updates

>install non-free drivers from the repo
Did you even read my post? That is literally what I did and it is what caused the problems i described.

i dont know arch but the AUR has a discord package, i dont know why you would need flatpak
aur.archlinux.org/packages/discord/

Don't run random commands on the internet without being sure of what they do, especially as root or with sudo. Use man to see what the command does. You only have yourself to blame for not at least Googling the command or using the man pages

Attached: deviantart_323278596_Meet_Sonico002.jpg (1105x1600, 667K)

Double check that you're using X11 and not wayland. Wayland will never work on nvidia proprietary drivers unless nvidia decides to stop ignoring standards.

>X11
I think I am, ubuntu 18 released with default set to x11 and i never changed it

hahahahhaha faggot

Probably kernel module is missing. Post relevant dmesg output

Discord explicitly confirms in its privacy policy (discordapp.com/privacy) that it collects the following information:

> · IP Address
> · Device UUID
> · User's e-mail address
> · All text messages
> · All images
> · All VOIP data (voice chat)
> · Open rates for e-mail sent by Discord

Discord does not explictly confirm that it collects this information, but still collects it:

> · All programs that are running on your computer

Sources: spyware.neocities.org/articles/discord.html

Could you humor me? It's possible it was changed on accident. The symptoms you have would fit that problem since there aren't any display managers using wayland yet afaik so login screens will still work.

>Manjaro, Mint, elementary that high on the list
Huh, so the linux desktop happening wasn't such a big meme.

GNU/Linux*

I checked it's X11. Also i forgot i am running 16.04 and not 18

I know, but you know the general public that the phenomenon would be aimed at calls it that way.

The public calls Linux "Android"

I cannot fucking take this anymore. I have seen like 10 threads today that have been moved that are Linux related. What the fuck is this unwritten rule? Guy writes a thread about moving on Arch-like systemd-less distro, gets deleted. Someone made a GNU Nano thread, gets fucking deleted. A guy makes a thread on XFCE, gets deleted.

WHAT THE FUCK IS GOING ON!?

Attached: based.jpg (1100x619, 113K)

Software freedom is politics. Not technology.

This post is off topic. Mods!

[ 3281.898087] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.898807] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.900096] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.900820] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.901474] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.902317] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.903233] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.904910] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.905483] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.906055] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.906818] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.907598] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.908812] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.909425] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.910075] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.910813] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.911916] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.913192] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.913805] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.914428] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.915184] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.916056] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.917544] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.918181] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.918804] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.919820] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
[ 3281.920965] usb 1-1.5.3: 2:2: usb_set_interface failed (-32)
etc

How can it be missing? It was working a few weeks ago and I don't think I fucked around with it. Maybe an apt upgrade or two.

they are deleting my boomer memes too :/

probably because there wasn't enough room for shilling threads

Switched it off and on again, then tried dmesg again:
[ 6983.853660] usb 1-1.5.3: USB disconnect, device number 10
[ 6989.709975] usb 1-1.5.3: new full-speed USB device number 11 using ehci-pci
[ 6989.839747] usb 1-1.5.3: New USB device found, idVendor=1654, idProduct=0104
[ 6989.839754] usb 1-1.5.3: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
[ 6989.839759] usb 1-1.5.3: Product: MindPrint USB
[ 6989.839763] usb 1-1.5.3: Manufacturer: MindPrint USB
And then a bunch of "usb_set_interface failed" again.
Still has no name in lsusb by the way

Not on the desktop though. Or at least not yet.

recently downloaded xfce4 and now I'm havibf issues accessing the xfc34 desktop
i tried the command startxfce4 and got this message
suggestions?

Attached: xfde.jpg (680x704, 159K)

Can confirm. I just tried it b/c why not. My thread was up for some minutes and 404'd for no reason.

warosu.org/g/thread/67080085

Can someone help me set up a QX2710 panel on open source AMD drivers on Ubuntu from the beginning? Nothing I've read online (I've tried a lot) works. My Asus monitors work perfectly fine.

why this doesnt work
$ ls | grep "(1)"
firefox-52.9.0esr(1).tar.bz2
$ ls | grep "(1)" | sudo pacman -U
error: no targets specified (use -h for help)
$
shouldnt grep be an input for pacman?

is the brightness slider in ubuntu 18.04.1 bugged for someone else?
it works but it goes crazy when I move the slider

Bros wtf is going on, are Linux threads fucking banned now?!

Attached: no more.png (700x700, 706K)

sudo pacman -U $(ls | grep "(1)")

Any of you use DXVK? It says it needs wine 3.10 or newer, but many distros are behind on that.

Attached: colorless.png (640x360, 226K)

>but many distros are behind on that.
And this is an issue because?

wiki.winehq.org/Download

the ones under winehq binary packages all have 3.10+ (the dev build)

dunno about the distro maintained ones

\
>parsing ls
huehue

The jannies/mods in Jow Forums started to be really hard on everything. They wiped third of the posts in that net neutrality thread from 2 days ago, constantly delete half assed threads, and even dish out warnings. I won't be surprised if they delete our discussion here as well.