/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a build guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (eg photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, cooling, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>For Intel, only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>Avoid cheap models ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS duals, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
>Only consider AMD GPU if you plan on getting an upcoming HDR monitor
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU+monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 /w Freesync, 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU+monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V or upscale from 1440-1800p
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: parvum r1 build ruby.jpg (2048x1536, 1.14M)

Other urls found in this thread:

digitaltrends.com/processor-reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-ryzen-3-2200g-review/
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/6RrG3C/arctic-silver-thermal-paste-as535g
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/HBXfrH/arctic-cooling-thermal-paste-acmx4
linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20
pcpartpicker.com/list/YCtjNQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>In most cases, you shouldn’t bother with either the Ryzen 5 2400G or the Ryzen 3 2200G — just buy the Ryzen 5 1600 or Intel Core i3-8100 and pair them with a discrete graphics card.
digitaltrends.com/processor-reviews/amd-ryzen-5-2400g-ryzen-3-2200g-review/

Please /pcbg/, tell me why the OP continues to recommend the R3 2200G when the i3-8100 is a better processor for practically the same price?

Attached: i3-8100.jpg (1499x1500, 302K)

Gtx 2080 when?

because if you get i3 then GPU would be a MUST, wtih 2200G you can cruise smoothly with on-die graphics

20 August reveal

local shill doing his job

>how bad is having a bit of thermal paste on a mobo
Not bad. Regular thermal paste isn't electrically conductive.

Digital trends aren't factoring in that the 2200G is generally 20% cheaper than the 8100 and usually roughly matches it when overclocked while also being on a better platform.
And the 8400 has been like $195 lately.

Because muh upgrade path and muh overclocking
8100 is better pick though ignore the shill OP
>Avoid cheap models ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS duals, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
Why did you add this on OP? Every gpu is fine unless you want to get the highest overclock possible

>wtih 2200G you can cruise smoothly with on-die graphics
Does pic related count as "cruising smoothly" to you?

How the fuck am I shilling? The OP is shilling if anything, advertising the 2200G when it's a worse processor than the Intel alternative.

Why does the OP suggest the 2200G? What are some positive reasons for buying it instead of an i3-8100?

>the 2200G is generally 20% cheaper than the 8100
On Amazon UK right now:
R3 2200G: £90
i3-8100: £96

So that means the i3 is only 7% more expensive. Idiot.

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-08-09 at 20.39.22.jpg (1456x1024, 105K)

>Because muh upgrade path and muh overclocking
Overclocking is probably going to require a better cooler, which just adds to the expense

Who cares about an upgrade path - if you upgrade the processor in the future you're probably going to end up replacing the motherboard anyway.

ANUDDA SHOAH

Attached: 1533755857006.png (1440x509, 388K)

He probably means esports titles. You think low budget cpu+gpu combo will replace your dedicated graphics or something running your graphics showcase games? Why would anyone bother with gpus if that was the case.

That's one out of how many gpus though?
How long did it take before it went?

Holy shit you're retarded.
You're coming iGPU to $100+ GPUs.

And you say you aren't shilling? You are either a shill, retard, or baiting/trolling if you're saying the 2400G is bad because it's iGPU isn't better than the GTX 1050.
How about you put the Intel iGPU in that list, you fucking retard?

I don't get it either. On here and reddit people shill AMD like crazy even when nvidia/intel performs better on proven benchmarks

Do people actually use stock coolers? Why?
You can get a good one for even just like $20 or w/e that allows overclocking easily and keep using it.

The prism is pretty decent and it comes with the proc.

Imagine they do use them
And that's why it is better to have AMD CHAD cooler and not VIRGINtel cooling solution

Which is the better thermal paste?

The top 2 contenders!

>Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/6RrG3C/arctic-silver-thermal-paste-as535g

>vs

ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/HBXfrH/arctic-cooling-thermal-paste-acmx4

>ARCTIC - MX4 4g Thermal Paste

Attached: 31H+zKu4DEL.jpg (500x500, 12K)

ICdiamond bruh

but no one uses an intel stock cooler anyways

Pretty sure you don't get the nice light-up cooler from AMD unless you get one of the much more expensive processors? Like Ryzen 7 or something?

I'm just saying, AS A PROCESSOR, the i3 is slightly better, so why is it not mentioned in the OP?

How fucking retarded are you?

The i3-8100 is a better processor than the 2200G

So why is the 2200G recommended in the OP? Most people are going to stick a discrete GPU in aren't they? So why is the i3-8100 not even mentioned in the OP when it's a better processor than the 2200G?

Christ how fucking DENSE are you?

People still use arctic silver?

what do you use big shot

1 out of 4. It probably lasted for 7 or so years. Also at some point it's fan broke, so i had it replaced. I also had a gtx560ti which lasted 7 years fine, just did some fan greasing since one of the fan started to rattle a bit.

Manufacturing has gotten better since the olden days, so i dont expect modern cards to fail, unless theres some fundamental design flaw, like one vendor had thermal pads too thin to touch the vrms. Or a fan breaks or something.

How long does thermal paste last for? I still have some stuff I bought over 5 years ago. is it garbage or still useful?

I need help! when my PC uses the windows basic display driver it all looks fine, but when i install the driver for my 1050 ti, it turns to shit. The screen stretches and and the text looks terrible. Does anyone know whats going on?

Im guessing those who build ripoff bulk office pc's do.

GC Extreme. However MX4 and NT-H1 are good and also cheap.

there is too much rgb

Attached: 1533250812410.jpg (800x561, 78K)

I'd throw it out after two years.

I wish i had RGB.

Lies. You can never have too much rgb.

Should be fine until it turns to dust.

it surprises me people even like rgb. Even the ltitle blue lights on my case fans piss me off

I'm building a new computer and every damn component I bought has stupid lights all over it, when did it get like this? Even the RAM has fucking lights on it.

How does /pcbg/ pick its PSUs? I have no idea what to look for. Any catch-all recommendations?

If the ram you bought has rgb on it then you have no one to blame but yourself.

First thing I did when my new build booted was disable all the lights in the BIOS. Unfortunately I can't disable the power LED, which flashes with the intensity of a thousand suns, enough to light up my whole room, whenever the computer goes into sleep mode.

>top two contenders are two shitty options
what is wrong with ur brain.
Does your dad work at Artic Silver or something?
If it's sealed in the tube, it's probably still okay.

I like it when it makes figma look like a stripper.
And I think it can still be tastefully done when it's more like soft ambient light and not a bunch of changing colors.

They were desperate to sell new products when no one was buying new computers when Intel was just re-releasing Haswell 5 times.

Is it worth it to overpay 50$ for 2600X over 2600? Not gonna use stock cooler.

OH NO NO NO

Attached: P1030501.jpg (2048x1536, 642K)

$50 extra? No not really, especially if you already have a different cooler you want to get.
It's worth paying like 15% more for the fact that you can just enable PBO and get the best performance without worrying about a manual overclock and its stability. But 2600 @ 4.2 isn't that much different when the price difference is that different.

Only thing you'd really lose out on is effectiveness of a BCLK OC which can get you ~4.45GHz 2-core boost on the 2600X, if you motherboard supports it.

The Stealth isn't actually that much better than the Intel stock cooler like the Spire is.

I've always wanted to know what tools you need to build custom reservoirs and watercooling components.

Thoughts on the Ryzen 3 1200?

The 2600 is 200$ while the 2600X is 250$. Not worth? Also PBO and BCLK overclock only works on 2600X? Why?

Looks beautiful, but >fans sucking straight against a plexiglass panel

obsolete unless you use win7 and are a poorfag
2200g also has an igpu and clocks higher but doesnt werk on win7

When I bought RAM, the RGB stuff was like half again the price of the same sort in plain white, black, blue or red with no lights. Why did you shell out for RGB RAM if you don't want RGB?

>2600X is 250$.
MSRP is $229. I'm guessing this isn't USD?

Finished my PC already (only leaving my old 750ti as a placeholder for the next gen).

But I've been also thinking about buying a good laptop for when I have to travel (I have one of those jobs). The only requirements it needs are:

>USB ports enough to fit mouse, keyboard (no needed if the keyboard is already good), mic, and a controller.
>60hz 1080p minimum, would like 144hz tho.
>not priced beyond the 1.5k mark, would like some budget options too.
>Able to expand memory or an already good space.

Unless you're doing hard line, you don't need any special tools.

PBO and BCLK OC work on 2600. But they are multipliers on top of base clocks so higher base clocks matter a lot.

There's not much point in it.
2200G has lower memory latency so it tends to do better in games, and is sometimes as cheap as $80.
It has better iGPU for just general desktop use or optimized games.

you can find used 1600/x for great price and it'll be an absolute beast CPU for you

if I'm using a gtx 780 ti, which monitor should I get for gaming?

also from what I've read g sync is for gtx gpu's right? not sure if I want 24 or 27 in. seems 144hz is the important part. many people seem to say its night and day difference.

is there much difference in 144 hz and g synch?

let me hear ur opinions

Is it ok to use 1200 Watt PSU for PC that eats about ~450 Watt under load ?
already have 1200W PSU

Local currency converted to USD.
Thank you!

I don't know if this is Jow Forums approved but I'm using the lonix creator's tier list:
linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/

decide on price and how many watts you need
look up what you like on newegg, etc.
go to jonnyguru.com and read review on it

If you want to buy a monitor and be done with it buy something like this
amazon.com/Acer-Predator-XB271HU-2560x1440-Display/dp/B0173PEX20

Your gpu definitely isn't strong enough, but when you replace it you'll be golden

I've asked this a few days ago and would like some second opinions; I'm currently using a thermaltake V3 black edition (pic related). I would like to know if it would be worth keeping or if there are some budget alternatives (under £100, preferably £75 or under) that might be better for airflow. If I do keep it I'll need to get some extra fans for better airflow and likely a filter for the top. Suggestions are welcome.

Attached: thermaltake_v3.jpg (500x644, 106K)

get 27" 1440p its a new standard

After ordering a GPU
I'm now sitting at like
8gb ram
1080 gtx
ssd and all that stuff.
I'm thinking the next step I need to make is probably motherboard/cpu and then upgrade ram to 16gb. Maybe upgrading the ram before cpu could yield better results, but iono
I'll probably do it in the next couple years desu.
>tfw poor

I still think it isn't a bad gaming setup for now

does anyone own the NZXT 210 case? what fan setup should i use?

>which flashes with the intensity of a thousand suns, enough to light up my whole room, whenever the computer goes into sleep mode.
And this is why I swore God the Almighty that I will never buy ANUS motherboard ever again in my life.

anyone want to look at my planned build and tell me if it looks stupid? i already have it in my amazon cart

pcpartpicker.com/list/YCtjNQ

Attached: marshbook pro.jpg (768x893, 184K)

But the light is on the case. It's the power button.

The motherboard controls that, I did some research on the internet a while ago about it and it is an ANUS specific issue it is on their forums and it even affects the high end boards and it doesn't allow you to disable it.

Looks good, but I'd say that is overpriced for the GPU. You could definitely get a better one on sale. There are 1060s going for like $200, same with 580s. Even 1080s going for $300 apparently.
Also same PSU I have nice

I HATED THIS CASE SO MUCH
Shit cooling
No dust filters
Noisy
That fucking shitbox convinced me to go all out and pay out of my ass for the top shelf case and fans for it.
Now i'm cozy as fuck with a silent build using a Fractal R6 and Silent Wings 3 case fans, and I fucking LOVE it .
LOOOOOOOOOVE the case.

So my advice dont save on the box, it will make you suffer in the long run.

So here we have two posts defending OP's reasoning with a rational point of view.
And here we have "nah ah OP iz a faggot get a i3". This is the reason why fanboys are a mistake.

Unplug the power LED then.

My board has an option in BIOS to set whether the power LED is a normal LED or tricolor. On normal, it blinks for sleep. On tricolor, it runs power the other direction, which makes a tricolor LED orange or yellow.

I have a normal LED and the blinking annoyed me. So I set it to tricolor, which resulted in off during sleep.

>ITT: Buyer's remorse in two weeks.
You KEKS shouldn't buy any GPU now, Nvidia will reveal their new next gen stuff in Gamescom and every single rumor points towards a September release.

Attached: 1519715066921.gif (500x374, 379K)

I want to finally retire my i7-2600k. Which processor these days has good single core speed and is at least octa core? Will trade cores for better single core performance.

whatever intels top cpu is
like 8700k I think

Like I can afford a new 11 series anyways. I'd rather get a deal now and actually game instead of wait forever for aftermarket cards that sell out in 2 seconds for marginal upgrades

>and is at least octa core?
Only 2700X makes sense.

I just dumped my 2500K for a 2700X and I love it.

Whelp, maybe OP needs to be changed to recommend the 2200G as an APU to avoid hurting the feelings of those with their allegiance pledged to one brand like who hate that there's not actually a place for their favourite brand's option on the market.

I think he's the same guy who was posted old benchmarks of the 8100 vs the 1600 yesterday. It's just him.

dude, like dude, focus with me a little here. New cards = cheaper old model. Get it? Unless Nvidia goes full Jewish mode on us and sells the new cards for a higher price in order to keep the price of the old cards the same.

based r/amd poster

>Implying there will be a better card than 1080 for $300

>1080 for $300
fake news, didn't happen.

You have to keep in mind though that your board needs to support changing BCLK. Not all do.

>linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/
Seems outdated to me.
I wouldn't put CXM on the same tier as EarthWatts. Corsiar changed manufacturers in 2017 afaik, and they're really shit now.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/YCtjNQ
Why would you pay $200 for a 1050Ti when you can get like 60% higher performance out of an RX580 4Gb for 15% more money?
I just don't understand how much of an Nvidia fanboy someone can be to do that at all. Every single thread.

Most people aren't in the market for $550 and $750+ GPUs anyway.
New $550+ GPUs aren't going to make the 1060 and RX580 cheaper, especially with the upcoming tarrifs.

>RX580 is finally cheap
Are miners kill?

>not having a mainboard that goes up to 11

Attached: 20180809_140402.jpg (1118x533, 209K)

>1080 for $300
That's the price I'm waiting for the 1080 to reach. If it's on sale for that now what's the link?

Well, I have an ASRock motherboard.

keep telling yourself that, bub

Attached: 300.png (631x244, 24K)

They went out of stock in like 5minutes. Wait until next week

Is that b-stock or actually new with a full warranty?

yuropoop here, how to buy? pl0x

Another one to add on my shitlist then.

You still get buyers remorse when all the 10 series cards go on serious discount after 11 comes out.

What site is that? And is that a used miner card?

Miners may be kill but someone has to kill the retailers next since they still think it's OK to charge 350€-400€ for an rx580, hell they even charge 350€ for an 8gb rx570. Also i noticed that they are now trying to sell the mining GPUs they stocked up with such as the 'Gigabyte """GAMING""" 8G MI' without even specifying that it's a mining card.

Attached: 1520816322894.jpg (200x200, 4K)

EVGA were selling B stock 1080s the last couple days for $300. Whether or not they're refurbished cards, I'd take a punt for $300.

Yes, with a 1 year warranty. More than enough.
EVGA & doubt it, probably just step up. They refurbish and stress test them all again and with 1 year warranty I'm not worried. EVGA will basically let you RMA your card for anything

Statistically you probably have a less than 1% chance for the card to go dud, and even then warranty is long enough to cover it and that happens with new cards as well. The only downside is they could be returns by people that didn't like the OC on them, which at $300 who cares

Do they have sales on 1080ti's? Trying to get a GPU that can push 144fps at high settings consistently at 1440p. Waiting for 1180, but discounted 1080 ti would get me comfortably close for a good bit less.

I haven't seen any on the TI so far. Just watch out for next wednesday. I feel like those will probably go on sale the least because no one is trading in a 1080 ti to step up to a better card

>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
What is the problem of getting a 4k 60hz for muh screen space because job and shit?