/ag/&/am/: audio general & audiophile memes

Best of the Prior Thread Edition

Prior Thread:
These Questions:
This Feel:
These Lulz:
This Comfy:

Attached: Grundig Ya Ya.jpg (1166x982, 258K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=UPc5frU8IQQ
tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm
tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/rcrules.htm
dr.loudness-war.info.
youtu.be/Moj5PsTnvqk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

reee

Attached: moremaxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 65K)

keep 'em both

Attached: 5867058637_5816a3e211_b.jpg (1024x768, 474K)

Attached: yes.jpg (852x480, 25K)

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 154K)

Attached: milkies.jpg (600x600, 49K)

>my thread gets 404'd but this one just image dumping
ok i guess

Attached: cb5d220a0b7a5b84dfb9.jpg (633x356, 35K)

keep them both -- dedicate the other one to DIY and giant speakers

Attached: 11414097-large.jpg (380x268, 27K)

>keep them both
it got deleted you sped
> dedicate the other one to DIY and giant speakers
what the fuck, why?

this ones more about vinyle feels

Attached: 9662efab555.jpg (427x640, 48K)

sorry brah

Attached: teppaz2.jpg (564x563, 78K)

Attached: hiraga4.jpg (698x524, 120K)

Attached: PEMusical5VElvis1.jpg (488x604, 45K)

gone but his tech lives on

Attached: article-2522731-1A0CF18500000578-277_306x423.jpg (306x423, 34K)

Attached: 5678998765.jpg (200x229, 13K)

Attached: 45s-single-turntable.jpg (740x444, 136K)

These threads are super comfy.

Attached: cara-comfy.jpg (1599x2048, 330K)

Budget passive speakers? 300 bucks max. I honestly have no idea about which brands are good and which are literal shit. Help a newbie out

rate my setup's comfyness on a scale of 1-10 please

Attached: shot of enitre setup.jpg (2256x1504, 1.4M)

rock
classical
jazz
?

Sorry, but I like seeing a turntable on a stable flat surface, not on top of other gear.

Attached: image_22396.jpg (981x736, 92K)

How do I flatten bass response in a room? I have a huge peak at 140hz

Attached: 023F24DA5426448585CCE6E9A40B5B7A.jpg (531x597, 30K)

floor spikes

>muh precious records
>muh tracking force
>tfw said precious records were played in one of these

Should I convert my music collection (All FLAC and MP3 320) to Opus? If so, what bitrate?

I'm doing some test conversions at the moment and I can't tell any difference at all between regular 16 bit flac and 160VBR opus, don't know if I should go lower than that. I also don't know if the whole thing is worth the effort since I'm not exactly short on space. It would give me more breathing room for portable player applications, though.

Oh and here's a dank filename meme I made.

Attached: Audiophile compares cables.jpg (1203x945, 268K)

Attached: SMALLSPINS.gif (652x354, 805K)

maybe find a qt gf instead?

Attached: dat horne sounde.jpg (785x1024, 317K)

Not yet, I'm nearly a wizard, don't wanna blow it.

>nearly a wizard
less than 2 years for me.
could go either way.

(bumping my question)
Most genres honestly, going to use it for my turntable set-up. Mostly rock and hiphop though, but also jazz and some classical.

*flinch*

I'm ham-handed and incompetent, but want to upgrade my turntable. should i just get one of these?

Attached: 2mpnp.jpg (600x450, 53K)

just get a wire to your pc

What does that have to do with upgrading my turntable? Is English your second language or something?

If i use a sub to take care of the low frequencies, will my speakers perform noticeably better on the higher range of frequencies?

Yes, it will lower distortion.

What are some good turntables (new or used) under 400? Could get a Pro-ject Debut carbon esprit for 200-250. Worth it?

rega p1

Are vinyls an audophile meme? How are they better than CDs

they're collectibles, that's all

they are often mastered better than the cd version but the cd version could be better if they master it properly

>inb4 sea of shitposts about Crosley ruining records

Attached: Crosley-Collegiate-Portable-USB-Turntable-Red-SIDE-1.jpg (1000x1000, 83K)

I buy both vinyl and CDs, the only time I'd say vinyl sounds better is if it's a better master (sometimes the CD version is a loudness war victim but the vinyl is at a healthy 10+DR).
Honestly as long as it's not a poor pressing in some way, vinyl sounds fine, just don't buy into it being superior. As a rule of thumb, superior sound quality is not a good reason to get into vinyl. It's just a nice way of owning a good album, and fun to listen to once in a while or have on display on your shelf.

I mean, it does get a bit exaggerated, but I think its not unwise to be hesitant about playing valuable records on a cheap piece of shit player. You've honestly got to be a bit of a retard to drop thousands on records and yet to be so stingy as to not buy a proper turntable.

What are good home theater podcasts?

I listen to AVRant which is pretty good (even though Tom Andry is a dumbass, his cohost is good), and I've been listening to back episodes of Home Theater Geeks (the host is annoying, guests are a mix)

should really get this thing fixed. i have to adjust it with both hands to not make it too loud or go to the area where the left channel becomes quiet. moving it just 1mm can make it very loud. everything would be fine above 1 but sound quality gets worse if i drop the volume levels from the source.

Attached: SANY0002.jpg (1600x1200, 630K)

from old thread
Thanks. Did that, feels much better now. I think it's just about me rediscovering some songs for a while, but it definitely sounds better than without subs.
Fuck the receiver, I bet it will make a 5% difference for $300. Not worth it. It will also clog up my small room, as most shit is wall mounted and thankfully I could just put the subs in the corners.
And yeah, my wireless keyboard has media buttons which are convenient to use, so it's not as bad as you think. I never have to get up to adjust the sound.

i did open it too and one of the bands that the slider goes on looked like it was scratched so thats probably the reason why it does not work

So what's the best and most consistent way to purchase good sounding music, CDs?

flac download
same thing as the cd without taking up any physical space

If you want a physical copy, then yeah definitely CDs. Of course, it being on CD doesn't guarantee that it'll sound good.

maybe try it on a streaming service or get a torrent and then get the disc if you like it

why do people say that all amplifiers sound same? i have tried many and all of them sound different.

I already have around a TB of torrented lossless music, but i want to purchase the albums i like the most

you tried them all in the same session, same room, same equipment AB-ing back and forth?

"Crosleys destroy records" is a forced meme started by vinyl snobs.

youtube.com/watch?v=UPc5frU8IQQ

The Crosley Collegiate is their best model actually, nice large speaker, adjustable counterweight on the tonearm and a magnetic cartridge.

same room, same music, same speakers. you have to be deaf to not notice the weaker bass or missing details in mids or ear raping sounds from the tweeters. the really expensive high end stuff that everyone here has might indeed sound same but the cheaper hardware has very clear differences

how did you set it up so you can AB directly?
got any more documentation and results?

I have a Galaxy Audio CM-130 SPL meter, are there any other tools I need for setting up a home theater properly?

unless your receiver already has something like audyssey built in a basic measurement mic like the umik-1 to use wirh rew would help a lot adjusting placement, phase and eqs for the best low end response

the differences are so big that you could record it with a phone and notice it. theres really no need for professional ab shit to notice it.

Move the speakers around. The issue is of standing wave interference.
You can equalize the bass response, but this only works if you optimize to exactly one spot.

I'm not talking about noticing big differences, but being able to really quantify them. might be able to narrow it down a little closer than 'missing details' or 'ear raping sounds'

Are there any other full feature stereo receivers than the Onkyo TX-8270? On paper it sounds perfect because it has all the convenience features that AV receivers have but without the multi channel bullshit.

Attached: TX-8270__B__angled_left_N5761x3839.jpg (5761x3839, 1.95M)

It has AccuEQ, an Onkyo Tx-NR636, would that mic work with my receiver? I'm pretty sure I lost mine.

i did not measure it but you have to be deaf or retarded to not notice the missing bass on shit like this

Attached: 00-va-the_sound_of_the_oh_vol.1_(selected_and_mixed_by_w4cko)-cd-flac-2010-proof.jpg (3024x4032, 2.99M)

I'm pretty sure it will only interpret crap without the bundled mic calibrated for it, also the umik and most 'real' measurement mics need phantom power
I'm sure you can get it as a replacement part from onkyo directly

I'll look into it, thanks.

>all of them sound different
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".

nice reddit memes. the only thing that matters to me is what i hear so im not going to fall for the all amps sound same meme.

>the only thing that matters to me is what i hear
But why should anyone care about what only you hear?

If you think you can easily tell two amps apart then why aren't you taking the Richard Clark's test and collect easy 10k dollars?

never heard about that before. why would so many amplifier models even exist if theres no difference?

i bet that the test is done with amps that do actually sound same instead of using some random amps that they know nothing about

tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/index.htm
tom-morrow-land.com/tests/ampchall/rcrules.htm

Because the perceived quality of a product is always more important to a customer than its real life performance.

Day 38 waiting for my new speakers. The ride never ends. Hey these things can actually go pretty loud. Listening 103db peaks, no distortion at all. Based 150 damping factor into 8ohms Pass Labs amp. It's nice having a smallerish room.

Attached: nigerianspeakers.jpg (2048x1536, 845K)

Nice smooth baffle, don't put them on the stands like that and spoil it.

I'm not really fussy about their placement since they're going back into the shipping box in about a week but how exactly are you supposed to place them on the stands? I got these stands for my harbeths, they'll fill in the entire space perfectly. Gonna toe the whole stand in that case once I got them on top.

Attached: keferinos.jpg (1536x2048, 922K)

line up the front baffle edge with the edge of the stand so that nasty reflective step dissapears

Check the release at dr.loudness-war.info.

If you already have a good digital copy, then I'd get physical media like box sets and stuff that is kinda special. I like John Digweed so I always buy his releases, I've bought a few box sets of different artists, even vinyl releases even though I'm not that much into vinyl.

If you want to support the artist though, go to their shows and concerts, that is where they make the real money anyways.

You should paint your rear wall something that complements the color of the Harbeths and the gear.

And spray loads of eucalyptus air freshener.

What is the best album according to that site?

Generally speaking, releases with high DR should be considered and low DR should be avoided.

maybe its possible then but its not that easy to make an av receiver with over 9000 knobs and menus sound same as an simple 40 year old analog amp

Yamaha still makes some I think. What features are you looking for?

I need to punch the back out of the cabinet and drop the preamp down on the shelf but too lazy.

Attached: IMG_5921.jpg (2016x1512, 477K)

Mainly Bluetooth and HDMI connectivity.

Well the better components you have, the easier it is to make a "perfect" amplifier. So it was really hard to make a good amp way back before (in 70s or something), but now there is much less difference. And it will be less and less as time goes and progress goes on. Maybe we already at the stage where there is no difference.

Can you use a high compliance cartridge with the standard td160 tonearm?

I don't know, never was interested in vinyl stuff, just see no reason to do anything vinyl these days.

Sorry, was meant for No.67090910.

Attached: caixas-bookshelf-klipsch-rb-51-ii-na-caixa-completo-D_NQ_NP_877433-MLB26022028223_092017-F.jpg (800x1200, 205K)

Here is my rega planar 3 with a grace 707
youtu.be/Moj5PsTnvqk

Attached: thisisfor.jpg (2050x1536, 552K)

That's why they have celibratable feet you dum-dum.

Would there be any difference in noise if I upgraded my rca to twin 1/4" for an rca to twin XLR cable? we're talking 3 meters long here.