Concerning exFAT

I know NTFS is a shit filesystem and Jow Forums has a hardon for ZFS and BTRFS (in addition to ReiserFS for some), but how is exFAT? Is it a good filesystem to store large amounts of data on and read/write across multiple OSes? I want to change my workflow so that I can set up my home directory in Debian on one drive and root on another so that when the drive containing root is replaced with one with an old install of Windows 7 that I use for burning Isos and I'm still able to read the files on the /home drive. Are there any better cross-OS filesystems than exFAT or is exFAT the best/ pretty good for something like this?

Attached: deviantart_442762085_Sonico on ground.jpg (1204x1600, 580K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format
duncanlock.net/blog/2013/05/13/using-udf-as-an-improved-filesystem-for-usb-flash-drives/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

exFAT is your only real choice. But I'd just use Samba or a VM though, I refuse to have more than 2 Windows partitions

who the fuck is that retarded whore you shared
she is so ugly

It unironically says in the corner, Nuramoon.
Now go and jerk it to her instagram/deviantart

shes so ugly wtf
her eyes look fucked up and her teeth look fucking green

>Is it a good filesystem to store large amounts of data on and read/write across multiple OSes?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universal_Disk_Format

>exFAT is your only real choice
No.

>Optical storage FS for spinning rust/NAND

Retard

>made by Microshit
>good

Don't sign your posts. If you can any concrete criticisms of UDF, please voice them. If you are completely ignorant about UDF, start with duncanlock.net/blog/2013/05/13/using-udf-as-an-improved-filesystem-for-usb-flash-drives/.

s/if you can/if you have/

exFAT is, as the name implies, extended FAT so it scales above 4GB files and 32GB filesystems.
It's mostly used only on SDXC cards because Microsoft paid off the standard committee to have it as a default FS.
It's fine for the relatively slow SD cards, but sucks for everything else due to shitty performance, and especially for Unix-like OSs because it lacks support for Unix file permissions.
You're better off with making a UDF filesystem, but don't expect great performance either.

Or even NTFS.

whats wrong with ext4

>FUSE

LMAO

what is that even? i have never seen it used anywhere

Do you want something standard and stable? EXT4 is great for HDDs. Do you want something fast as fuck for use on your SSD boot disk? Try XFS. Try installing fuses for these file systems on Windows, or you know, just stop using inferior 90s shitware that's the failed abortion of DOS and VMS.

Attached: 1527161698849.png (614x614, 31K)

she ugly tho

We NEED APFS to go open source.

Another option is to just gat/build a NAS. You can choose which filesystem and raid setup you want, have the data centralized and you can access it from whatever os you want with smb and nfs.

You can't use NFS on Windows and SMB is much slower than NFS

I didn't say Windows has NFS. However SMB is fine if you just need to access some iso files like OP wants. Also I'd say it's easily good enough for media consumption and streaming game files too. People that dual boot rarely use Windows for IO heavy workloads anyway so SMB is fine for most dual boot solutions anyway.

Attached: 0B32B370-D946-4DBF-B549-2AF51F1CA497.jpg (645x729, 53K)

>her
first time that OP's pic looks like a trap... and it isn't.
holy shit.

>You can't use NFS on Windows and SMB is much slower than NFS
Samba server to Win10 client performance is actually surprisingly good. I use it over a 10GBit link with PCIe SSDs inside the NAS and I get almost the full SSD speeds.

Yeah, you wouldn't want to use if for /home due to the lack of Unix permissions but you could mount the exFAT filesystem somewhere under your home directory.

Freetards seem to think that SMB is stuck at v1.

and her fucking feets thats disgusting.

There's a btrfs driver for winshit on github, great for people like you who love getting m$ dick rammed up their sissy ass

Install Gentoo faggot

I was about to say I wanna lick her feet but they look so ugly. find a better pic next time OP

ExFat here.
Glad I shed most of the weight

>not a fat pig
dropped