Laptop Purchase General - /lpg/

Another thread for people looking for advices in buying a new laptop.

Has anyone bought a new laptop recently? What did you get, and what's it like to use?

Attached: laptop.jpg (747x420, 66K)

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316369
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2500U/m432558vsm378273
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Im not gay

What is the smallest laptop with a dedicated gpu?
Prize doesn't matter.

dell xps 15 9560

its ass, it throttles cpu to 800mhz under any sort of combined load cpu+gpu, keyboard is meh, it has one of the slowest nvme ssd on the market, 1080p mate display despite having nice colors have really bad response time so there is visable ghosting, wifi card needs propraitery drivers and there is no Ethernet port(gl installing debian on this thing), broken acpi spec, gtx 1050 has like 1/5 of windows performance under gnu/linux with proprietary drivers and nouveau doesn't even work with pascal gpus

I'm waiting for the 7nm Ryzen mobile processors to be released before committing to a new a laptop.

Attached: 1510054506620.jpg (750x755, 158K)

That's a gold hat, cool cat

what is the opinion xiaomi laptops for long time use. I am talking about 3-4 years of non gaming use.

Which one? I some of their product are pretty good quality, I think it might last 4 years of light use, as long as you take care of it.

HP Elitebook 830 G5 (i7-8650u, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1080p 120hz)

It's an alright laptop with a decent build quality. Trackpoint on it is not too useful due to having only two mouse buttons instead of 3 like on a ThinkPad but the trackpad quality makes up for it. Biggest downside is the lack of a MicroSD slot since I don't like carrying adapters around with me.

is there a real point for buying anything other than an acer aspire 5 (599Eur) with a max budget of 1000Eur?
the next best thing I can see is a thinkpad L480 (899Eur), which has max 32 GB RAM (20 in the acer), weighs slightly less, has slightly more battery life, has a very slightly brighter screen, but I don't think it's worth the extra 300Eur
everything else has either no upgradable RAM or dim, glossy screens
the build quality on the acer is even above average, I have no need for mil spec, I'm not toting my shit around a construction site
and used is out of the question, 8250u is too big an improvement over the previous generation to go used

for csgo / lol / ableton
budget around $2000-$2300

>msi gs65
>razer blade15
>aero 15x
which one?

im pretty positive about msi gs65, but i want to ask one last time before buying it, i got keyboard, mouse and headset so keyboard being good or not is not that much of a issue

Same. Haven't found any ryzen mobile laptops that are 13 inch with a matte display

>is there a real point for buying anything other than an acer aspire 5 (599Eur) with a max budget of 1000Eur?
correctly deduced, acer aspire with 8250u will be best in this budget
>the next best thing I can see is a thinkpad L480 (899Eur), which has max 32 GB RAM (20 in the acer)
yeah, it's not worth it, if you don't need power of 8750h then grab that acer
>dim, glossy screens
yeah, under 1000 all screens are shitty, XPS 15 has a nice bright screen btw

I bought this for school:
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834316369

it'll be here Monday. it was $519 btw.
did I do well?

Attached: 34-316-369-V01.jpg (1280x960, 138K)

I checked out the Envy x360 13" with Ryzen in a store today, and the quality seemed OK, especially for the money. I'm just wary because >HP

Aspire 5 is a good laptop, I just recommended it for a friend and they love it. They didn't need the GPU tho since they only play a few indie games.

However, unfortunately the U-series CPU's have 15W TDP limit, meaning they throttle under multi-core load and performance falls off a cliff. I wouldn't use one to play any CPU intensive games, but for just school stuff the Aspire 5 is the bomb.

I have the Aspire 7 with 8300H/1050 and it's dope af.

What temperature is the processor at when throttling to 800MHz? What is your exact workload? It must be thrashing the VRMs to throttle down to 800MHz

I have the maxed out X1 yoga with the hdr screen. Honestly the nicest laptop I've ever used. You can tell they actually thought through the design of the laptop which is unfortunately unique for a 2-in-1. It takes awhile to debloat windows 10 (which you need for Windows ink) but after that, it's as good of a W10 laptop experience you'll ever get.

Gonna pick up an eGPU for it next week.

>i7 8750H
>GTX 1050 Ti
>12GB RAM

For £870

Worth it?

Looking for Ultrabook to use as work laptop. Is last year's XPS 13 still a good buy?

If you were to sell it, what would you buy instead?

I'm looking to buy a daily. My budget is $600 So far I've been looking at the 2013 retina MacBook Pros because they seem to have nice screens and decent hardware.
Primarily I'll be doing video, picture, and music related tasks. I currently have a Fujitsu LifeBook t904, which has a really nice screen, but can't even play uncompressed 1080p video w/o stuttering. Also, it doesn't play too nice with Sibelius.
Suggestions?

so i sent my laptop to msi to repair a keyboard problem, i've heard stories where msi fucks up on shipment. incase that happens, are there any good gaming laptops/regular laptops around 700 bucks with good dedicated gpus

Here's my advice:

1. Buy USED. You have to put a bit of effort in, but you can find excellent latops in good condition for

>1500€ budget
>13-15inch FHD
>want a nice screen
>no need for yoga or touch function
>only play shitty indie games, but a 150MX would be a cool bonus, but not a must
>mostly needed to waste my time, but also do some work and simple video+photo editing
>gaming laptops are way too heavy for me
Purely from the specs I thought the Dell XPS 13 and 15 series would be a nice, but the net is full of horror stories about them and I pussied out although I really like the screens.

Then there is the Huawei Matebook X Pro, but not sure if that company is trustworthy and the reviews are not just shilling and I would have to wait over a month for them to be available here, which would suck.

Checked out the Thinkpad T480s, there is a version with a 150MX and I like everything about it except the below average screen, but maybe it's the safest option.

Asus UX331 series seems to fit too, but the buildquality looks pretty bad from the photos, so I don't know.

I am getting tired of watching/reading reviews, need something that I can rely on while I study in a different country for 3 years and is pleasant to watch Youtube/Netflix to waste my evenings.

whats a good purchase

>883 usd
>ryzen 7 2700U rx560x

>752 usd
>ryzen 5 2500U rx560x

seems pretty marginal(cpu difference) to me
cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/AMD-Ryzen-7-2700U-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2500U/m432558vsm378273

Kek I'm actually waiting for elder scroll 6 to come out before buying a new laptop

Meanwhile my existing laptop is undergoing extensive midlife upgrade; more ram, HDD+SSD combo, new fan, new replacement battery, new keyboard...

Isn't quad core on laptops relatively new? It seems like they only got common during this past year with Coffee Lake and Kaby Lake R.

How many laptops even match your criteria?

only for intel's U lineup, the i7 hq lineup had them for quite a while(until they moved to 6 cores recently), i5 hq lineup has had quad core since the 6000 series and AMD has had quad core and up in laptops for a while as well

Latitude 5590, which is what I went with. But Acer Aspire are really good value.

Sameish here. 2700u is similar in gpu perf and ryzen laptops are shit specced. The A485 from lenovo still gives me hope. Anyone have est dates for mobile platform on 7nm?

never HP again. two of my previous hp laptops all died in a young age. they're shit.

probably won't be doing much gaming on it, but it's definitely nice to have the option, which was primarily why I got it. seems like it can handle most of whatever if you're willing to tweak settings too.

but yeah, it seems like I made a solid choice. was kinda tempted to get a 2-in-1 but this was much cheaper.