/spg/ - Smartphone General

Smol Phone Edition
androidpolice.com/2018/08/09/exclusive-palms-new-android-phone-tiny-3-3-screen-800mah-battery/

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>Reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Visual phone size comparison
phonearena.com/phones/size

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone

previous thread

Attached: ap_resize.jpg (728x467, 41K)

Other urls found in this thread:

warosu.org/g/image/pk8ZNEySIRe163WzW8smxw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Copy pasting my question to the new thread:

My iPhone 6s died and I need a cheap but functional smartphone to hold me over until I can get a next gen one and keep as a backup afterwards.

What do you lads recommend? Chinkphone? I was looking at the Honor 7s and Xiaomi Redmi 5A but also at the cheap Nokias. It's probably just for a month or two but a dumbphone won't suffice.

copypasting my post too
>which should I choose Redmi note 5 or mi mix 2?

What is under $200, durable and isn't massive?
have moto e2 right now

Attached: mpvshot Neon Genesis Evangelion 02.mkv_00:12:04_0019.jpg (704x480, 66K)

Xiaomi phones

Honor

>Honor 7s
meh

>Xiaomi Redmi 5A
>cheap Nokias
both good choices

>Have Verizon
>Verizon versions of phones are $50 more than their GSM counterparts. Flipped a sailboat with my G5 in my pocket, so I need a new phone.

I'll probably buy the s8 anyway, but I guess I'll be paying more for it.

Attached: article-2562390-1B9DB77000000578-233_964x743.jpg (964x743, 160K)

Whats the most cost effective way getting new galaxys through att...i dont like phones sitting here btw ....currently have a s7 and s6 edge+ fully paid...do i preorder now or wait til black fri? S8 notes are half off already on ebay and its been a year already should i just upgrade late and sell off old phones instead of going through att plans? I need help

Buying phones on eBay and bringing them in will always cost less. Same goes for selling the phones yourself rather than trading them in. Cutting out the middleman is generally good.

Yea but with my s6 edge plus it was 980 retail and i paid 680 for it pretty much new looking on ebay like 9 monthe later......its 1 year since the note about and price is already half off....
I would have sold ebay etc but idk if its still worth it

Reminder that qwerty is superior to touch

Anyone else excited for their Note9?

Attached: 20180810_122653.jpg (956x466, 80K)

But having to push actual buttons makes you type slower

Redmi Note 5
>cheaper
>better battery life
>headphone jack
>MicroSD slot
>IR port
>MicroUSB

Mi Mix 2
>higher performance
>more RAM
>better band support
>NFC
>USB-C
>no headphone jack or MicroSD slot

I'd personally just go with the RN5 unless you're planning to do a lot of gaming.

With att next every year you make payments for 12 months or pay 80 percent to upgrade including trade in fee or u pay in full and keep it...what bothers me is a traded in phone with payments left is the same trade in value of a fully paid phone

I dont like sitting phones my current phones are under 200 and 250....i paid 680 for one got the other as a gift 100% free

Moto E4 or E5, Moto G5 Plus

for me its the s9

Attached: 1531417900827.jpg (1000x1000, 1.35M)

Wrong.

fuck off already
warosu.org/g/image/pk8ZNEySIRe163WzW8smxw

hah step aside smoll boi

Attached: 26-samsung-galaxy-note-9.jpg (970x546, 138K)

How is the Redmi Note 5 Pro? How is MIUI now compared to Lineage? I'm on a Redmi 4 Prime now

>e4 still costs full price
>e5 is only available at sprint or someother place as prepaid
fucking motorola

My mom is on verizon but i need at&t for the phone i want. A relative is on at&t but she lives out of state. Will at&t allow me on their plan? If not can i lie and say i live in their state?

The Galaxy S9 is much smaller irl than I expected

>A relative is on at&t but she lives out of state.
Why would they care?

Yea, people see the screen size number and think it's enormous, but Samsung has done a great job reducing overall phone size while increasing panel size, so even with a large screen it's roughly the same size as their previous phones

Thoughts on Android Pie thus far?
>clock in left corner is fucking dumb, as is only showing 4 notification icons at a time
>home button gestures are neat and p useful
>new UI design is decent, reminds me of samshit though
>hate the iOS 7 style app switcher
>screen rotate button is sick af

Attached: Screenshot_20180810-115421.png (1152x2048, 602K)

I want that palm phone. It looks cute!

Exactly. I was pretty impressed holding my 5.5 inch Xiaomi Mi A1 next to its 5.8 inch screen.
I guess the 18:9 meme isn't that bad after all

GOAT form factor

I personally prefer the Note8 (or 9). It's a bit larger but is less curved than the S8/S9(or + versions). The rounded corners of the S9 were not my favorite, but on the Note they're much more squared.

thats because you're gay

Or not a manlet

>3.3"
>tiny
back in my day a 3.5" iphone was considered too big

Why a shill would use the same pic all over? this must be just a fanboi shitposter

based gay poster

hey boys I've narrowed down my options to the oneplus 6 or pixel 2 XL. which one should I go with? currently have a nexus 5x

I don't care if it's a shill or an ironic shitposter, the joke already got old and I wish he would stop posting it.

for me its the s9

I'm trying to buy a new phone and I'm dumb at it, Xiaomi redmi note 4 or 4x? and which of the cores I should pick, there's snapdragon, octa core, deca core and I don't really know which one is to pick.
Looking for which one can run mobage the best, mainly fate/grand order.

Does anyone still make quality 5 inch phones?

Why would they? Today's 5.5-6" phones are the same size as 5" phones from 4 years ago.

How about this. Does anyone still make quality phones that aren't over 5.5 inches of screen?i always preferred that sweet spot of 5-5.2 inches.

Sony compacts

XZ1 Compact

My dad finally wants a smartphone. What would you recommend for ~50€ ? I priority an easy-to-use OS and battery the most. No need for more than 1-2gb of ram, screen size shouldnt be more than 5".

the regular Sony XZ1 is 5.2"

>~50€
A dumbphone. Increase your budget to 80-100€ if you want a smartphone that isn't an absolute pain in the arse to use even for basic stuff.

It's true because pushing the button takes time.

He doesnt want anything more expensive than that. I found Doopro p1 pro and meizu m5c, are they usable? Again it's forcmy dad, so ZERO gaming or heavy apps like facebook. I'd be surprised if he managed to use Chrome

Pushing my fist in your mom takes no time

It might be a better idea to go out and browse 3rd party shops for phones within that price range than asking here, since no one in their right mind would recommend a smartphone that is a pain to use.

Tactile feedback decreases the chance of a typo and allows for easier touch typing

>not swipe typing

What do you mean "being a pain to use"? Is it that NEETs here think that anyhing below S625 is shit or will it ACTUALLY be unusable like crash/freeze constantly. I've had S200 phone with 1gb of ram and it was absolutely enough for general usage.

Go to bed, grandpa.

Attached: 1532352522631.jpg (250x222, 6K)

How's it feel to spend 3x more than you needed to for the exact same specs? Is the pencil really worth 1K

>Redmi 4 Prime

Also on 4 prime, I'm thinking about getting A2?

4 prime has some never solved issues. RF is shitty especially on gsm900 band, 2.4ghz wifi is destroyed when bt turned on.

No, because you get better deals in Singapore and the Philippines. In Singapore, you can get a model with 8 GB of RAM and 512 GB of storage space. Hell, you can't even pre-order the black model in the US.

Then buy the unlocked version brainlet, all versions of Samsung phones support all bands regardless of actual carrier branding.

Got a nokia six with a shitass snapdragon 430, octacore A53. Freezes up 3 times a day if messenger and instagram are running at once, and good luck playing any decent game. GF's LG G4 outpaces it in circles.

What are the good processors to look for in a new phone?

Also, nokia warranty repair fucking sucks, my screen keeps slowly falling off.
get an SE

Every version they make it more like iOS. If I wanted iOS I would just buy an applel phone. They keep changing shit just for the sake of changing it.

Updating my smartphone soon, thoughts on Xiaomi Redmi Note 5 64Gb? I don't want to spend more than 220~€

You probably have a better idea on what's a good barely-smart phone than anyone else if you've had experience with it, is what I mean. Like, I guess *maybe* there's a market for that shit, but even old people would benefit from obviously better phones that have bigger screens, better responsiveness, etc. etc. After a certain point people would just tell you to buy better phones, which is why it's best to just go window shopping with your dad and find something in that price range instead of trying to research something that I doubt people would care about.

very good choice

I like the Redmi 4 Prime, battery has been great so far. MI A2 is 50 Euro's more expensive and has a way smaller battery.

I touch type without typos on a touchscreen, switching to a physical keyboard just means more force is needed and typing speed goes down.

Physical keyboards on phones are just something to humor boomers who have stopped being able to deal with new stuff since the Blackberry era desu.

Thing is that local stores offer like 512mb-1gb of ram for the same price as chink phones with 2gn of ram. While I can easily compare specs and see which one is the best for his usage, I know that chink phones might have QC issues, bugged firmware etc. Basically I just need to know which phones work fine out-of-the-box and dont shit themselves after half a year.

the fuck kind of keyboard have you been using that "more force is needed", a dumbphone with cheese in the keys?

pushing a button per definition requires more force than touching a piece of glass.

>Thing is that local stores offer like 512mb-1gb of ram for the same price as chink phones with 2gn of ram
Why the literal fuck, that's terrible. Are you going to those small no name shops that sell prepaid credits or are you talking about bigger stores?

oh, just taking your daily dose of brown placebos eh, carry on

Bigger stores, but in slav country. Every one of them just preys on people that dont know anything about smartphones. Also you cant really expect local stores to even come closer to chink price/perf

Ah I see, my place has small shops where you can grab phones worth ~30 - 50 euros easy, was hoping you'd have something similar at your end. In any case, wish you luck on your search, hope you'll find something decent.

it's not a placebo, the whole point of a physical keyboard is that merely touching the key does nothing and applying more force does. that is the supposed benefit of buttons over touch.

you don't need to justify yourself to me user, i know how it is to have an addiction, please, carry on

Cope harder keylet

For sure. I'm upgrading from a Note4, before that I had the OG Note.

Which one to get?

Attached: phones2.jpg (857x276, 71K)

>hasn't hard bricked his phone at least 5 times
>Man
Choose only one

What do you need in terms of features?

>What are the good processors to look for in a new phone?

Snapdragon 710 or 845.

Gonna get the Asus Zenfone Max Pro M1, it's the ultimate /g phone

Is the Huawei P20 Pro the perfect phone?

Attached: huawei_p20pro-1024x768.jpg (1024x768, 67K)

we'll find out in two weeks

If it actually supported bands in the USA it would be. But for some reason chinks won't spend the extra 45 cents on a radio that will support them so they're expensive bricks

What's happening in two weeks?

Mobage are, from my experience, inoptimized af compared even to emulating or graphics-heavy western games. A Snapdragon 600 series (or its equivalent for Samsung or Huawei) is a minimum, the ones you listed both have the SD625, however the cores in that one weren't designed with games in mind, so I'd recommend going for Redmi Note 5 which has a much more powerful 636 in it. You can also go more expensive and get Mi8 se, the 710 in that is GPU-focused and can chew trough anything you throw at it.

XZ1 if you want a small phone or A2 if you want a big one. The third one you shouldn't even consider.

New version of the Mi Mix 2s is in the works. It's supposed to have 8GB RAM and 256 GB of storage space.

Attached: Jade_green_mimix2s.jpg (344x215, 12K)

Always go snapdragon for mobage since they're whitelisted or something for most of them

As close to stock Android as possible, a decent camera, portability, USB 3.0, preferably NFC and 3.5mm jack (both of which the A2 lacks).

As far as Sony phones, I've just always loved their look and feel. But if there other options, I'm open to them as well.

I really hate flashing custom ROMs since they're complicated and almost always lower the battery life in my experience.

No because Huawei doesn't unlock bootloader anymore, so unless you want a phone where updates are dropped after a year and that's it for $800, it should be avoided like a plague

How many variants can these fucks make?
>inb4 Mi Mix 2SeX Pro Prime

i wish there were more phones with the front set up like the mi mix

I want to get a smartphone that could replace my s5 neo,which one should i go for that is less than 500 euros

You missed the Art edition...

Attached: xiaomi_mi_mix_2s_art_special_edition_1525783672946.jpg (800x450, 22K)

samsung is just apple except you hurt the western economy and give more resources to South Korea which will in turn spark Kim's interest in overtaking it

You might as well go with the newer Sony in your pic then since the A2 is missing a lot of your desired features despite having stock Android.

Also, if you want stock Android and NFC why not look into one of the Android One Nokias?

True, and I also forgot the possibility of a Miku Mix as well.