/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a build guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (eg photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, cooling, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>For Intel, only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>Avoid cheap models ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS duals, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
>Only consider AMD GPU if you plan on getting an upcoming HDR monitor
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU+monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 /w Freesync, 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU+monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V or upscale from 1440-1800p
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: 1496681171720.jpg (450x337, 48K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#sort=price&t=3
pcpartpicker.com/list/nQhytg
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ms7HQ7rckpA
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128491
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H67MA-USB3-B3-rev-10#support-cpu
youtube.com/watch?time_continue=257&v=LADFDUiPing
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Still looking for advice here if anyone has any ideas.
It's an i5-3570k 3.4GHz.

I tried some tweaked settings but when testing with Aida 64 extreme, it will say an error occurred and the stress test stopped. That happens when I set the ram to 3200mhz on a AB350M and a 2700x. The ram is an Hynix CL16 3200.

The CPU shouldn't have to do with crashes. It's just x86-64. Unless maybe it's missing some instructions that newer *well or *lake CPUs have that *bridge doesn't.

But for $400, you can do a 2600/X upgrade with 2x4Gb of RAM. That's around 3x your current performance overall, and still a significant increase in gaming.
You could also try and find a used/refurbished Haswell i7 or equivalent generation Xeon workstation. They're sometimes around $250 with 8gb.

Run memtest first.
And the 2700X isn't overclocked?

B350M Tomahawk+2600
OR
X370/X470 Strix+2700X
OR
Any 300 series mobo+8400
OR
Asrock Extreme4/Fatal1ty K6+8700K

VRMs are considered when unlocked CPUs are chosen.

You could lower the ram speed or just jack up the dram voltage 1.4v and try again

Thanks boys.
I imagine I'll have to change motherboard too for socket reasons at the least, right?

Case from a prebuilt I got in 2013 is fucked
Need a new case, preferably sub 80 euro, don't care for LEDs. Don't care for a window as it's under my desk.
Needs plenty of places to mount fans.
Current motherboard is normal ATX.

sell the gtx970 and build a ryzen 2200g pc

Aren't they compatible anyway?

>I haven't overclocked anything really, it seems risky to overclock it when I'm not super sure what I'm doing.
Do what I said.
Overclock ram (not risky at all and easy. Don't forget to try tightening timings)
Enable MCE. Its basically an overclock without fiddling with things. If your temps are nearing 70°C that's fine it won't damage anything.
What's your GPU? Anyways just OC that aswell. Perfectly safe
All those things will amount to a significant difference.
Remember what I said I gained basically 30fps

Just buy the cheapest you can find
pcpartpicker.com/products/case/#sort=price&t=3
They are all pretty much the same

It's a GTX 970, so nothing crazy powerful.
I'm still a bit worried this is going to cause huge heat issues considering the average cooling in the case.

>Poorest fag on Jow Forums rn
>Literally no compoter as my laptop died recently
>Third world only local vendors for building pc
>GPU prices still high as if we are in the middle of mining craze
>Find out about Ryzen APU's
>Literal godsend combo
>Find out about Ram speed requirement and prices
>Checking out Optiplexs and Elitebooks rn in a junk store

Attached: c6f.png (280x291, 106K)

The sub 30 euro ones look a tad bit sketchy.
Is NZXT alright? It's right around the 60 - 70 range.

NZXT S340

>build gaming pc
>no good pc games released in years
Who else got memed

How can I get more value on this build? Would like to get it to $1200-$1300 if possible without sacrificing RAM or graphics card.

>I want this for: Mid-level gaming, video editing, streaming, CPU extensive tasks.

pcpartpicker.com/list/nQhytg

>How can I get more value on this build?
get rid of the liquid cooler. Air >>> AIO
do you really need a $90/70 750W PSU when your build doesn't even use 350W???

>I'm still a bit worried this is going to cause huge heat issues considering the average cooling in the case.
Just try it out and see. You got paste lying around anyways. You might aswell clean the fan and PSU fan whilst your at it.
My case is basically just a metal box with some holes poked on the one side. Any I only have the Intel stock fan and that's all. Nothing for my case is optimized for cooling and its doing fine.
Just try it out. Its worth the try. You can just disable MCE afterwards if you don't like it.
Anyways your ram and GPU won't be adding to the heat so your really worrying about nothing. I know its scary to fuck around with things at first
>The sub 30 euro ones look a tad bit sketchy.
What's sketchy about it? Its just a metal box that holds your shit. Its not gonna explode.
>Is NZXT alright? It's right around the 60 - 70 range.
They are alright. Throw your money away if you want.
My case is called premiumSun. They're a literal no name I can't even find a website for and I have absolutely no complaints.

Have MSI Z-370-A botherboard with 2x8GB Corsair vengeance LP 3000Mhz. When I set it to higher clock speed than stock, I get BSOD's. Am I retarded? Am I missing something?

>Who else got memed
You made bru.
>tomb raider
>prey
>nier
>cuphead
>hellblade senuas sacrifice
>for honor
And much much more

most of them are actually terrible
it looks like you're trying to prove his point

I actually played more games before I build my new PC 2 months ago. I just don't feel like reinstalling all of them so I've been playing Destiny 2, FFXIV and Divinity Original Sin 2. Literally bought Vampyr and FFXV 10 days before I build the new one and I haven't played them since.

>Liquid cooler meme
The PSU us abit much and next month your GPU will become obsolete because no ray tracing support.
Nvidia will be phasing out the gtx and replacing it with rtx
m.youtube.com/watch?v=ms7HQ7rckpA
Maybe wait and get the rtx2070 instead

Did you even bother to stress test your OC, you mook?
>most of them are actually terrible
Please tell me one good game you've played. I'm interested in hearing your shit taste.
FFXIV is so boring I had to uninstall it. I think I'll play it some day but what's the point using items is a pain yet fighting. I don't know there is something wrong with that game

>Please tell me one good game you've played. I'm interested in hearing your shit taste.
i'm sorry but i must go have a nice day
i'll have you know though that there's nothing wrong with being able to enjoy mediocre stuff
keep being an alright sort of person cya

How often change thermal paste?
t. Brainlet

>gsync

Attached: hands.jpg (214x198, 12K)

Muh G5!

Wanker, that's too afraid to admit he's wrong

I'd say 4 years. Or when ever temps are high

i ordered parts from newegg using purolator to a po box, they have 900/1000 negative reviews and a 0.54 star average

how fucked am i? its been 4 days since my expected delivery date? should i just start planning my next build?

only part i bought online was cl 14 ram, and now it wont be here for months it seems

Attached: 1522893143792.jpg (596x650, 49K)

Maybe like after three years

XFX or sapphire?

>they have 900/1000 negative reviews and a 0.54 star average
>how fucked am i?
Are you literally retarded? 9/10 people have problems with them and you decided to go ahead? Do you go up to scam artists and say, "Fuck it, I'll test my luck"?

for me it's the RTX 2080™

Will there be significant performance improvement in 7th gen console ports on PC when playing with a 6 core 12 thread processor like the ryzen 5 2600/2600x?
Those games were either optimised for 2/4 threads and I'm curious if performance will change if I switch my 4 core 4 tread processor with a 6 core 12 thread one. Single-core pefrormance will also improve but will the 2 extra cores be unused?

Attached: 1532679232602.png (1021x746, 78K)

newegg only supports purolator in canada, and i only looked at reviews afterwards :(

Buy GTX 1060 or wait for 11 series?
I don't want to spend more than 300 on gpu

>Will there be significant performance improvement in 7th gen console ports on PC when playing with a 6 core 12 thread processor like the ryzen 5 2600/2600x?
Probably not outside of frametimes and 1%/.01% lows.

semi-reposting:

if I have a i7-2600 (not 2600K) from 2011, when do i need to upgrade? There was a scare recently where monster hunter world wouldnt support older CPUs.

>when do i need to upgrade?
When your CPU no longer performs like you need it to. Are you hitting 100% (or close to) usage? Are the specs lower than the application recommends/requires?
>There was a scare recently where monster hunter world wouldnt support older CPUs.
I'm not playing that game, but if that's legit then you obviously won't be able to use your CPU in that case.

this would probably belong on /sqt/ because I am so retarded, but where can i see what the 'best' cpu is supported by my mobo?

because it is also from 2011, and even though my 1070 TI fit on it, im afraid a newer CPU wont fit on it?

motherboard: newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128491

Intel changes sockets every other week unfortunately so you'll need a new mobo too. I'm going from a 2500k to a 8700k right now. I think Sandy Bridge lasted longer than we had any right to expect, but it's time to get something new.

Ive used this every single day for years on end so i'm more than willing to drop a considerable amount. I'm just wondering, are we on the verge of price drops yet? I haven't paid any attention to CPUs, and amazon says it (8700k) was released last october, almost a year ago.

What's the Intel i7 equivalent of the 2400G

Attached: 1513295336200.jpg (415x440, 41K)

Buy ryzen

>where can i see what the 'best' cpu is supported by my mobo?
The manufacturer's website, usually.
gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-H67MA-USB3-B3-rev-10#support-cpu
The best one on the list is the 3770K, which is somewhat a step up compared to the 2600.

Intel almost never drops their prices. Gotta maintain those 60% profit margins.

>are we on the verge of price drops yet?
Not really. The 9000 series doesn't have a release date yet nor official announcement with specs. Intel doesn't seem interested in competing with AMD despite Ryzen consistently going on sale. Now for Ryzen the 2600x has a MSRP of $230 and typically goes on sale for $190-200 with the 2600 about $30 lower than that. 2600 competes (and usually beats) the 8400 and the 2600x is basically a higher binned 2600 that doesn't require manual overclocking.

None really. The i7 has iGPU, but it's garbage and I think it's the same thing in their i5 (and maybe i3) chips. But you're looking at two completely different price brackets. They aren't meant to compete.

hi /v/eddit, enjoying your contrarianism today?

not attempting to start a war, and not bait, but what's the advantage to buying the AMD cpus over intel like the 8700K?

>2600 usually beats the 8400
With b-die and 4.2 oc sure

listen, G-Sync might be expensive and I might have paid 800 merkels for my screen but good lord it looks glorious. I can max out games on my GTX970 at 1440p and it runs smooth as butter even if the framerate is all over the place fluctuating between high and low.
As for free sync, I haven't tried that but I am sure it is also the same.
VRF is the future and it needs to be haram to ship monitors without it. Fuck stuttering and fuck screen tearing, i can never go back to that shit.

Yes. For Intel, a socket a year keeps the goyim in fear. Never forget it.

A 970 is a hell of a lot more powerful than a 2200G still. Like by ~3-4x?

>Find out about Ram speed requirement and prices
You should be able to find a 2x4Gb kit that'll OC well like Samsung E-die. It's around $80 in the states.
>Checking out Optiplexs and Elitebooks rn in a junk store
Not a bad idea, as mentioned at the start of the thread. Just throw in an RX560 or 1050 if it's a lot cheaper.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/nQhytg
That AIO is fucking bad.
There's also not much reason to get a board better than the B450M Mortar or the B450 Tomahawk.
For video editing, anything with OpenCL support is going to be better on Vega than equivalent priced GTX card. But if you're using Adobe shit, IIRC the GTX is often but I'm not sure if this has changed.
Get 550-650W PSU.

Both are good choices as long as you get at least the GTS model for the XFX.

A ~$300 1100 series won't be out until likely January or February and it probably won't be a large performance improvement as the only way for Nvidia to increase performance is larger dies, as 1100 series is a Pascal refresh with GDDR6 on the high end. 1160 series is likely to just have GDDR5 again.
Just save $50 and get the RX580 instead if you can't wait months for a product you don't know the specs of.

4790k is pretty similar, except DDR3.
Less memory bandwidth, slightly higher single thread perf when overclocked past 4.5GHz or so, and slightly worse multithreaded due to HT being inferior to AMD's SMT.

>AMD cpus over intel like the 8700K?
The 8700k is the only Intel CPU worth buying. It competes with the 2700x which usually does better in multi-threaded applications where threads are more important the speed.

At the lower price points the 8600k is a 6c/6t that's $260 vs the 2600x $230, the 8400 is usually around the same price as the 2600, but due to the fact that Coffeelake is basically a dead platform (9000 series is just a refresh and 9700k is worse than 8700k) and the fact that the 8400 already hits near 100% usage it'll be hitting it's max in a year or so. Anything in between those two are garbage.

AM4 has support *at least* until 2020 and Zen 2 is a pretty massive improvement since they're going to 7nm. Intel has been pushing back 10nm for 2-3 years now and is hoping for Q4 2019.

Price and it beats Intel in everything save for gaming which is only an unnoticeable 6fps out of and fps of 120+

I can't find any information on liquid cooling system that are from any time recently. Do you still have to refill them with water? How does it work?

Why would I get a shitty amd card
1060 is the best budget card on the market

>Best high-end gaming
>some AMD shit

Mrs. DOUBTfire.jpg

Even in cases where it doesn't strictly win in terms of FPS it still wins with better prices, longevity, threads, frametimes and the stock cooler not being a piece of shit. In anything that actually benefits from more threads the 2600 will pull ahead even without b-die ram.

>/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
It literally says above that that the 8700k is the best for 1080p gaming. If you actually care about programs that benefit from the additional threads the 2700x has 2 more cores and 4 more threads. And it still does just fine in gaming in addition to that.

Apparently this is a hot button topic, but shit, if I'm building a PC for Livestreaming, does AMD or Intel have the best top of the line for CPU?

AMD. More threads directly benefit the stream watcher's playback. See the review GN did on the 2700k where they compared streaming on Intel vs AMD.

Threadripper here I come baby

1080p gaming implies the 8700k wouldn't be best for 1440p or 4k gaming also. It is the best high-end gaming CPU. The OP is intentionally misleading.

Stop saying that 6 threads aren't enough for gaming, you sound retarded. Everyone knows you are wrong

>where can i see what the 'best' cpu is supported by my mobo
There's sadly not a great list of this.
If you look up the chipset on wikipedia, it should have a list of CPUs supported and you can clearly see which is best there most of the time, though.
>are we on the verge of price drops yet
Not really. There was a sale on the 2600X for $188 on Amazon running for like a week or two, but now it's back up.
RX580s have been around $210-$230 for 4Gb and $240-$260 for 8Gb which is decent enough for a card that's all you need for 1080p 60hz+, and is even good at light 1440p.
RAM prices aren't looking to go down until China's fab is up and running at full capacity.
Some prices are actually expected to go up due to a 25% electronics import tariff on China.

Prey was one of the best single player FPS since Half Life 2.
Also there are Path of Exile updates every 3 months and other ongoing games-as-a-service.

2700X is still a "high-end gaming" chip even if it's slightly behind the 8700k. It's give and take at 1440p, especially, with the 2700X better in a number of games.

Better way of putting it is that it doesn't get maxed out 100% on all threads even with a GTX 1070 in some games, so you don't have to worry about background processes causing stutters that benchmarks don't show.

Same way the 6600k/7600k looked fine in benchmarks, and we regularly get people here with a 6600k/7600k looking to upgrade or build a new PC here because they keep getting stutters at just moderate usage. In that case, I don't think even the biggest Intel fanboy can disagree that the 2700X is the best CPU for Streaming on a mainstream platform.
Though if you can afford it, the 2950X comes out soon. I think it's $800, and motherboards are around $300.
There are ways to configure it so you're gaming on one of its 8 cores and the encoding gets the other 8.

Reposting.

So my CPU doesn't have on board graphics meaning that my gpu needs to always be running when I have the computer on.
Pic related is me just browsing this thread.

If I were to install a cheaper gpu alongside the 1060 and made that the default for when I'm idling and made the 1060 only for gaming do you think I would get better gaming performance from the 1060 since it won't be running at 100% at all times? Or does it not work that way at all?
Grabbing a cheap ~80 card just for idling is preferable to spending half a grand on a 1070/1080

Attached: gpu.png (618x371, 332K)

>Best high-end gaming
>slightly behind the 8700k

It's not the CPU youtube.com/watch?time_continue=257&v=LADFDUiPing

Why it's crashing, dunno. There could be a lot of issues, but more than likely it's a combination of poorly optimized software and memory issues, but not the CPU. Also, ditch the 970, it's a pile of shit and always has been.

>Better way of putting it is that it doesn't get maxed out 100% on all threads even with a GTX 1070 in some games, so you don't have to worry about background processes causing stutters that benchmarks don't show.
And again background uses ram and only 5% cpu at most with bunch of shit open so you are wrong again

>1080p gaming implies the 8700k wouldn't be best for 1440p or 4k gaming also.
You hit a GPU bottleneck at anything past 1080p. All the CPUs taper out at the same FPS for the most part. You won't notice a difference between the 8700k and 2700k even with a 1080ti. Check the benchmarks.

Holy shit
My previous card was a 960 and I just got a vega 56 in the mail. The card was a lot bigger than the previous one, wasn't expecting that. Now I'm even more excited to put everything together, should be cool to see what such a big guy can do.

>everything except for honor generally received positive to great review from critics and users
Go back to /v/ and being a 14 year-old contrarian trying to prove how special and cool you are by disagreeing with things out of hand.

>If I were to install a cheaper gpu alongside the 1060 and made that the default for when I'm idling and made the 1060 only for gaming
How would you even do that? I thought in order to run SLI they had to be the same cards.

The best game on PC is BOTW and even then it is repetitive , and banal.

I'm about to drill some holes into my case for better GPU airflow.
I'll cover them with some dust filters later.
The panel on the left is the one that I'm about to ruin.
If I fuck it up I won't feel as bad because the case was relatively cheap. pic related is my case

Attached: pc case.jpg (1280x720, 137K)

It doesn't work that way at all. Even if you had onboard video, you have to disable it to take advantage of a stand-alone GPU.

Holy shit, these threads really are full of people who don't know shit about anything. Use fucking google. Jesus. Not only has that never been the case with SLI, DX12 has existed for literally years.

Why on Earth would you think you'd need a different GPU just for idling?

>ram
2x4 gb 2113 and you are set

I'm glad to know you just learned the word "banal", but you shouldn't bother trying to use $2 words to sound smarter if you don't understand how to use a serial comma and make yourself look stupid in the process by fucking up basic, middle school-level syntax.

Where is the guy who kept shit posting that AMD GPUs get terrible FPS on Yukazu 0?
It gets 200+fps on the latest driver on maxed settings, 1080p, with an RX580, and got nearly that on the previous driver.

Was he cherry picking some really old driver? He was posting it when 18.7.1 was already out. What the fuck.

>ahead some times
So by your logic the 8700k is also a shitty gaming CPU since it's not ALWAYS the best in every game.
Good job blowing yourself the fuck out.

>And again background uses ram and only 5% cpu at most with bunch of shit open so you are wrong again
Around 9-13% cpu for me for background, and that's with a 50% more powerful CPU than the 8400.
So it'd be around 14-19% background usage on an 8400 when it already gets maxed out 100% on all threads with a 1070 in some games.
So hm. It's got to feel bad being repeatedly wrong like you are, doesn't it?

Look into tweaking it in Wattman after it's up in running. You can get A LOT more gaming performance for a lot less power.
And make sure you clean install the Nvidia driver.

anal

Attached: 8400 cpu usage, driver ahead variance.jpg (2038x1147, 418K)

>What's sketchy about it? Its just a metal box that holds your shit. Its not gonna explode.
No, but it can have shitty build quality and fall apart. I've had that experience with a ching chong noname case before.

Do I need a X470 motherboard if I want to use a Ryzen 2700x out of the box (no BIOS update required)?

Show us what you have open. Probably bunch of porn vids running

Your argument for AMD CPU's is CPU doesn't matter?

No x370 motherboards might come with a supportered bios. I guess you're kinda taking a chance though

>No, but it can have shitty build quality and fall apart. I've had that experience with a ching chong noname case before.
That's hilarious. Well they've all for pictures so you can get a good idea of its quality by looking at them

Ray tracing confirmed. It's happening.

Attached: nvidia-tattoo-09242010.jpg (600x603, 57K)

Back with your misleading bullshit screenshots I see. Im tired of exposing your shill ass.

Attached: pic.png (1920x1080, 2.18M)

>tomb raider
Probably good but not intresting
>prey
Batheada shit
>nier
I own it, aweful port boring game
>cuphead
indieshit that would be better on my switch
>hellblade
Literally who
>for honor
Ubishit port

>8400 best CPU for Jow Forumsnofap'ers
Heard it here first.

No it's not. It took 4 Titan Vs to render the raytracing for the ONLY demo that didn't look like complete shit. The others were all full of artifacts and looked worse than good raster rendering.

They might put on a tiny amount of tensor cores, and it'll wind up being worse raytracing than the 7970 could do, but it'll be built into gameworks so the 7970 can't do it.
Fuck you for buying and spreading this shit.

Thanks, user. I rather pay a bit more to be on the safe side.

Based 8400

Attached: perfrel_1920_1080.png (500x970, 47K)

best high-end gaming cpu

Looking for a case for my new build. I've been eyeing the following:
- Coolermaster Mastercase pro 5 ATX Mid tower case
- Fractal design Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid tower case,
- Fractal Design - Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case
- NZXT - S340 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
- Phanteks - Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case
I'm looking for whatever will give the best airflow at sub £100 and don't care for shitty rgb gamer asthetics, so if there's something that will give better airflow for that price range I'd like to know.

Afterburner still the best OC program?

I hope your care takers make a lot of money dealing with someone retarded enough to think average FPS are the most important metric.

>lemme just OC my 2700x
>actually lose 4.5% performance