IPS vs TN monitors

What's your experience with these two monitor types? After owning TN products my whole life and using them for entertainment, art and gaming I bought my first IPS expecting myself to be able to transition easily but I'm having a very hard time. From what I understand IPS is more of a "true" color yet my eyes are really missing the slight blue hue that TN provided, it's fucking me up hardcore, have you had a similar experience and what do you prefer?

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 122K)

IPS is vastly superior to TN.
>you miss that blue tn hue
>You're retarded

I am still on TN myself with two PG278Q monitors. I tried the PG279Q, but found the IPS glow was just too glaring in dark rooms when doing something dark. I think I will try again soon since the technology has changed a little bit due to HDR, but I still am wary.

Considering the varience of quality in either of those. I don't really care anymore. My last screen I bought was going to to the store and tested everyone available. Turned out I liked a TN the most. So the topic is quite subjective and there won't be any 'better' than the other anytime soon, other than a too cheap screen is mostly shit regardless.

Attached: progress.jpg (480x953, 79K)

I hate twitter. Why is it so popular?

In the end just use whatever works for you. There are nice TN panels nowadays.
I prefer IPS because any color shift means I have to adjust to way I sit and look at the screen.

set the color temperature to the higher number
This is largely a setting you change to get better more accurate color vs lighting in the room.

as for me, I went from tn to va, it still has some of the issues of tn, like viewing angles, however it has so much contrast that my biggest issues, even if they are the same issues, go from being I cant see half the monitor when its a dark screen because the contrast shifted, to the contrast got worse sure, but it still better then ips by a few miles.

color wise, im able to clearly see the difference between

180 180 180 and 182 182 182, and am able to see a difference of 181 180 180 but this isn't as easy to see, going into 10bit, there is a clear difference, but you have to have media that shows the difference, it doesn't make a big difference in a more normal scene (10bit tech demo showing it off, vs 10 bit movie)

wait 2-3 years if you can
a new hdmi standard made hdmi more desirable then displayport if only because you can guarantee the cables will work, along with every manufacture trying to get 4000 cd/m2 as that's what dolbyhdr is mastered to. monitor/tv quality is rapidly changing because of this and you will get something great if you wait.

If you cant, I suggest tcl 615/617

tn panels of today are about as good as ips of 5 years ago, the problem is the viewing angles and the contrast issue where if you look at them from any angle that inst head on, if you look from above or below, even a little, that fucks contrast hard.

va, you can get very use to colors being off, but va offeres you contrast, something that every 500 points is a noticeable difference, and when ips does 1000 but va does 5000-7000 native, its not even a question.

contrast is king in perceived image quality.

no, I don't miss TN.

I'm not opposed to it completely (all my laptops + secondary monitor have them and its fine)

people like to pretend they matter

Sounds promising OP, worth the wait.

It's a workplace screen, so I'm looking straight at it by default. However even as I tested it right, it seems forgiving up to 20 degrees before contrast fuckery starts. Not regretting it for some degrees though. Though I admit OP may consider it if he wants to use it from really all angles.

It's a good tool for actually important people to leave short information to their following. It just gets ridiculous due to shit load of nobodies thinking they're one of the important ones.

Attached: yep.gif (500x376, 51K)

I personally sit in chairs as low as they can go, so looking at the bottom of the screen and up to the top, the contrast gets so bad anything that is darker than mid day gets lost. my va still does it, but it has such a large contrast difference that even halving it twice is better than my old tn head on.

microLED>CRT>OLED>>>IPS>TN

>eat shit all my life
>suddenly i get to eat proper food
>"i miss the shit"

only valid complaint against IPS is input lag, and thats only if youre gaming

How good are 144hz IPS 4ms monitors?

it's not about refresh rate, input lag is a different metric

and IPS glow. it bothers me more than ghosting

Attached: ipspanels-examplesofaw4qcn.jpg (1800x675, 128K)

it's not even about response time, input lag is a separate metric

I prefer TN panels for long periods of use such as document writing and general browsing; there's less eye strain for me. The IPS screen that I have mainly gets used for photo editing and outdoor use, where the better colour reproduction and viewing angles help. If you want to be able to remove 99% of IPS ghosting / flickering, just set your desktop background to something with many brightness and colour gradients.

IPS is very beautiful but for gaming it sucks a little. I played cs go on it and it just made me rage with its high input lags.
TN with 144hz is the way to go for anyone who is gaming. The input lag/latency on IPS panels is very high.
Sure there is asus branded IPS, 144hz with low input lag/latency but it ain't affordable in the 3rd world I live.

i was like that until i realized that whites on tn look like garbage anyway enjoying my new ips

Can you tell me the name of that Asus 144hz low input lag ?

At work I have a Macbook pro, and the screen is perfect. No matter how much I tilt the monitor I don't get any glare. I guess they use high quality IPS.

Anyway is OP's pic IPS on left because less glare, or IPS on right because more backlight bleeding?

>what I understand IPS is more of a "true" color yet my eyes are really missing the slight blue hue that TN provided, it's fucking me up hardcore
That is Helsinki syndrome just right there. Get help user.

The problem with IPS panels is that there is a pretty significant chance of it having backlight bleed issues. Wish they could fix it by now.

In maybe one aspect that is also subjective. Tn blows every other kind of display out in many areas, it's hard to not crown it as king

lol
nigger you have 140ms input lad in your brain.
a difference of 5ms you will never even notice

as an ips and current amva+ user i would probably go back to TN if it was a more high end warm monitor which can support at least 75Hz at max resolution. I cut my blue output to 20% anyway for generic use.

Are you fucking kidding me? Is this bait?
Anyone that actually does work and not just geyming on their PC will tell you to fuck off with your inferior TN shit and buy a proper IPS monitor you fucking imbecile.

I like Twitter, but I hardly ever post.

It's shit as a discussion platform, but it works to stay updated on people, corporations, artists, politicians, ect... you're interested in.

It's nowhere near as cancerous as Facebook.

You could try a VA panel

>p-pls buy my m-monitor

A lot of the time it doesn't matter. A normal IPS has dull colors, so does a TN. The colors may be more accurate but they won't be saturated. Try turning up saturation 50% in GPU drivers first and see what you think.

TN/"LED" has come a long way, there's panels that are great. the only tech that stands out really is OLED, which is amazing compared to the other two.

IPS looks good on paper but they look like shit, try VA panels instead.

t. never ever used anything other than TN garbage

>MEMELED
Enjoy your burn-in and 2-month lifespan

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 57K)

LEGIT
IPS IS KING
FUCK YOU TN PLEBS

MY ULTRASHARP LOOKS PRETTY FUCKING GOOD, NIGGER

How noticeable is the backlight bleed in IPS monitors

Depends on the specific screen.
Cheap crap do little to mitigate it. Serious screens use tricks such as polarizing layer between backlight and screen to prevent it.
But even if cheap crap, IPS are still better than TN. It's an order of magnitude thing. They're simply a higher category.

IPS panel quality varies so much it's a crapshoot, unless you buy an ultra high-end monitor. TN and VA have less variance, but I'm unsure if this has anything to do with the panel technology.

>I don't know what I'm talking about, listen to meeeeeeeeee!

Attached: ips vs tn.jpg (3840x4320, 1.71M)

>rtings

>super visible BLACK ghosting on the TN
TN a shit. So what are you trying to tell us?

>Super visible white blur all over the IPS
What are YOU trying to tell us, IPS kike?

Very noticable to the point people go back to tn or va.

That the pic you chose shows IPS clearly outperforming TN.

It clearly shows a smeary picture with the IPS because they've got comparatively garbage ghosting.

Get something with good reviews.
By reviews, I mean the real kind, such as the ones done by tftcentral.co.uk.
I love my u2413. Its only issue is that it has no Freesync. It didn't exist back then.

Why not use this tho?
It has ULMB for a reason

Attached: s2716dg-bfi-large.jpg (3840x2161, 939K)

Apples to apples comparison

I have a IPS monitor next to a TN and the colours are noticable better on IPS.

If I had lots of money and was building a new rig I'd just get 2 or 3 IPS

I've got a gsync TN inbetween two IPSes (all 3 calibrated with my colormunki display) and honestly, there's literally one instance I can think of where my IPSes are demonstrably better at displaying something without doing a side by side, and that's the new Hitman game, where areas with a lot of overcast sun/moody lighting make the low contrast ratio more obvious. Hell, even with a side by side it doesn't look bad. Obviously the colour temp isn't identical on them all but that's something I can look past.

TN = faster

IPS = better viewing angles and better color accuracy

There's such a thing as fast enough.
IPS got there a few years ago (H-IPS and newer)-
TN has nothing left going for it. It's still possible to make some cash scamming gamers with 120+ Hz screens, however.

TN died so I thought it was high time to """upgrade""" to IPS.

pic related

Attached: darl room.jpg (1632x1224, 596K)

You lost the screen lottery

Does it actually look like that in person or just with a camera?

>my eyes are really missing the slight blue hue that TN provided

Your eyes will probably adjust after a while

You have Stockholm syndrome with blue hue

I lose all technology related lotteries. Can't even get my 2500k over 4.3 at a sensible volt.
Bit worse on camera, but that's pretty much the dark room experience, unless i turn the screen brightness all the way down, but that has it's own major drawbacks, like turning the gamma way down for a less foggy image. It's like a shimmer covering the content on the screen unless you lean so that you're looking straight at it. In daylight it becomes unnoticeable.

The bleed is really annoying. Same for dead pixels. It cost way more than the 10+ years old TN monitor I was using before, but it doesn't really feel like it.

that also halves brightness.
Its great at times when you have a high fps monitor and the blur isn't coming from the pixels themselves, but otherwise, its something you would like to avoid needing if possible.

granted knowing pixel response time in image is actually 48ms if this is 60fps, 20 if its 144fps, or 12ms if its 240 is nice to know, as i have no doubt they report the response time as being under 1ms.

Why should I get VA over IPS?

oled is going to be relegated to low end 'high quality' shit in a few years

The panels are stupidly cheap to make, but the buy in costs are high, while everyone else is looking for a non burn in self emissive pixel, or in panasonic's case, allow for pixel perfect local dimming.

va kicks ips ass in picture though, that whole only 1000:1 contrast really bites it in the ass.

cheap ips isn't as good as good tn, and good tn is largely cheaper than ips. hell just went to a best buy where they were showing all these tn and ips displays, each one a different shit color, each one off, each one with horrible problems, and then I turn my head to the left and see the wall of va tv's, each one giving such good color, such good blacks, that brightness that is able to be done thanks to the high contrast.

I second, ips glow was the reason I didn't get an ips monitor when my little brother splurged on a 144hz ips, which was the best monitor you could buy at the time that wasn't a 1000+$ pro thing. that glow was almost as bad as the contrast shift on my tn, meaning a move to ips would just be a sidegrade at best... it was this point I started to look for va screens, and I found tv's where my best option

then finding out that tcl 605 had better absolute lag then my tn and better absolute lag than most gaming monitors was it, im done, buy the tv and can not be happier with my decision.

good tn = cheap ips in quality,
properly calibrated ips and tn are near indistinguishable from each other so long as they are able to be calibrated.

pixel response time at a cheaper price point, if calibrated looks more then good enough.

or change the color temperature to something higher up. sure you get use to it, but you don't have to.

va has ips level color accuracy, at least consumer side, ips is king pro side but you aren't buying a 5k monitor

va has at minimum 3000:1 contrast ratio, which is VERY noticable, but more likely you will get 5000:1

som ips screens have enough local dimming zones to make the contrast ratio effectively 50000:1 but as far as i'm aware those monitors are not out yet, and come with a 1000$ fpga built in to them because nvidia cant into an open standard.

unless you are buying a tv, va is very limited in what you can get, personally I went with a tcl 605, I don't regret shit as I can buy better without spending significantly more.

Like how? I recently went from TN to IPS and IPS is clearly superior.

do VA screens have backlight bleed like IPS ones do?

liberal subhumans like it

Oops. They sent you the defective one. Refund.

So don't buy cheap shit. Pic related (me @ /hpg/).
That's my u2413. Monitor's old now, but I can recommend the hd600 headphones.

Attached: 1524371938517.png (1080x1920, 2.46M)

It's never that bad, but they do. Always look for reviews before buying.

IPS or TN for anime?

A quality TN is superior to a shitty IPS.

>not VA panels
why

VA are only good for color contrasts and getting deep blacks.

There are very few 144hz gsync va panels

IPS.
TN are only an option if all you do is game and you want a cheap gaming-capable monitor.

what's a cheap IPS and what's an expensive TN?

A cheap IPS is a waste of money

An expensive on too 50% of the time.
Those panels are only for those that can stomach sending the monitor back until they get one without eyeraping bleed (and one that doesn't get said bleed after a little use).

fuck off with the FUD

IIRC the shitty lottery panels go to the low end models. The better binned panels are sold as "professional" monitors and are usually less shitty.

It can be a great tool if you treat it like an information feed instead of a social media platform. It depends on who you follow, if you follow industry relevant people/accounts then it's actually amazing useful.

backlight bleeding, no
but ips glow... kind of depends. here let me explain

looking straight at my tcl 605 when everything is black, the monitor is effectively off, moving my mouse around there is some haloing, but because of local dimming, its almost not visible at a straight on angle. if I look at it at a 150-160 degree angle (or 20-30 I don't know which one makes more sense) you start to see some of the glow, and the backlight on the cursor is very obvious where the dimming spots are, however if you don't get local dimming, which if you go monitor over tv you likely wont, you do see glow, granted not as bad as ips gets, but its there. local dimming pretty much eliminates it.

overall, va's better contrast hides glow more then ips, and Im not sure I ever saw a tv with backlight bleed, and most tvs are va once you go to the higher end. why? because contrast is the single most defining factor in how we perceive quality.

I own an 1080p LG ips that's actually with my brother right now since I swapped back to my tn BenQ. Refresh rate and response time makes every program feel better, and with saturation turned up in GPU setting, the colors are arguably the same across both monitors. My ips has smaller bezel which is nice, but overall my PC experience is superior with this tn

This sounds like an unhealthy way to sit user. For one you're looking up all the time, but also it seems like your wrists would be strained.

Which BenQ monitor?

I bought an EIZO S-PVA display and can't stand looking at TN anymore. IPS is ok.

What about VA displays ?

The correct height for your eyes to be is somewhere between 1/5t to 1/3rd from the top of the screen.
What you're doing is horrible ergonomically.

>blaming monitor when you die in games

Attached: 1476838090984.jpg (499x496, 58K)

Heard the motion blur and input lag is bad on some of them. I'd research any monitor though. There's shitty IPS and good TN monitors plus panel lottery..

It's the xl2411p

Classic mistake is cheapening out on the screen, and then spending 2x as much on the GPU.
Screens are for decades, GPUs get obsoleted fast.

>Heard the motion blur and input lag is bad on some of them
on VA or IPS?