Why are audio players on linux so lacking?

Why are audio players on linux so lacking?
I've tried every single one and none of them compare to foobar2k.
Note that I'm not talking about mpd, the client server model (which I like and use for streaming music from my PC to memepad) doesn't apply here, I'm talking about good ol comfy standalone audio players.
Why is nothing on the linux/bsd side as good as foobar? I've resorted to just running it in wine but it's still closed source.

Attached: 2018-08-10-1533936092_1280x800.png (1280x800, 313K)

Other urls found in this thread:

github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/graphs/contributors
github.com/gotbletu/shownotes/blob/master/pulseaudio-dynamic-range-compression.md
quodlibet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
github.com/lucashpandolfo/audacious-usf-plugin
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

So what features do you miss from foobar2k?
I like Deadbeef on GNU/Linux.

I personally really like Clementine if I actually want a client. Deadbeef was good too.

deadbeef is dead, not longer maintained.
Also the UI doesn't hold a candle to foobar.
Foobar has that simple, yet complex aesthetic going that I just can't replicate in anything else. Clementine gets kinda close but not really.

What exactly do you need from the audio player?
For me, MPV is more than enough.

what's wrong with audacious fagget?

I love me some foobar

Attached: foobar.jpg (1427x857, 352K)

>Why is Linux so lacking?
ftfy

maintaining any kind of fancy Linux app is painful, and your userbase would be tiny

*GNU/Linux

it's more of a winamp clone
Clementine also has a still unresolved memory leak bug

>MPV is more than enough
This

Ncmpcpp

I specifically said I wasn't looking for a server client setup in the OP you fucking mongoloid.
You think I don't know about the various MPD clients you brain dead piece of shit?

ftfytbhwyfamlad

The only correct answer

I like Quodlibet, it has great tagging capabilities and the interface can do anything if you know regex.

I felt the same way until I tried cantata + mpd.

Your running a compatibility layer to run a music player, and don't want to use mpd?

Linux audio players are superior.
Clementine > Audacious > foobar

>more of a winamp clone
So? It's simple, easy to use and has a simple to understand GUI and doesn't have a bunch of bloat standing in your way like Clementine and foobar do. As far as I'm concerned audacious is the best audio player for an average person to use. It's playlists are just so well designed, every other player overcomplicates things.

Really? I never noticed the memory leak issue. I will have to keep an eye on it. Thank you.

>it's more of a winamp clone
no even an argument.
and not only that, it's a false statement.
Audacious is a clone(actually a continuation) of XMMS.
XMMS copied some of the interface of winamp, and had support for its skins.

Your original post didn't say 1 fucking feature a linux media player lacks.
Instead you shoot the stars by saying "lacking" in general.
vlc is a full featured media player.
smplayer is a full featured media player.
audacious is a full featured music player.
amarok is a full featured music player.
some of them have more features from your shitty unknown media player.

>freeware
if you are going to use botnet, you might as-well try PotPlayer.

mpd is dumb because it requires files to be managed as a library

It's giving me the windows 2000 feels
Any classic themes or plugins you'd suggest?
Not really digging how it sorts the library by genre though. Can that be changed?

Attached: 2018-08-10-1533944372_1280x800.png (1280x800, 1.18M)

>I'm talking about good ol comfy standalone audio players
*sips*

Attached: 1531925886163.jpg (376x349, 22K)

cmus is pretty nice, plays your music and doesnt do anything else, although it doesnt show album art (theres probably a way to do it)

Because GTK and GNOME dont really have the same on demand flexibility.
Foobar2k basically exploits how winforms stacks frames to do what it does.

mc + mpv

Foobar looks like dogshit. I'm not sure why people like it so much.

Foobar is probably the only thing keeping me on Windows at the moment.
>but WINE
No.
Notifications are fucked up and it doesn't work with some of the plugins which themselves load external dlls. And it doesn't globally hook my media keys.

The entire reason to use Foobar is "make your own audio player". If it looks like dogshit, it's because you didn't make it look nice. If it doesn't work how you like then it's because you didn't extend it to your liking. It's the Vim of audio players, minus the portability.

I care more about functions over form myself though.
I have it in my system tray 90% of the time, the other time I use the library tree, lyrics or biography tabs, and the playlist area. I don't stare at it. The settings and SDK are the real appeal for me.

Attached: gdipp current.png (1920x1040, 896K)

mpd+ncmpcpp+beets

what else do you need?

Attached: 22:20:14 2018-08-09.png (1056x714, 193K)

It's proprietary, so no. It's not like Vim or any other open sourced software. Stop using it.

You're being unreasonable.

You're supporting the enemy. Stop being a naive dumbass.

>enemy
I wonder if you're being sincere.

Do any of these 'nix players support ReplayGain tag creation? Clementine didn't, the last time I tried it.
If not, how are you guys normalizing your audio?

i like cmus because its lightweight

Attached: cmus.png (679x377, 54K)

Just install QMMP and fuck off!

Attached: Antu_qmmp.svg.png (2000x2000, 119K)

How is sid working out for you?

never liked normalizing audio, don't think the people mastering the albums intended you to mess with it. but you can do it with pulseaudio modules, and probably somewhere in alsa too.

This is true for pretty much every app on Linux, the Windows equivalent is always better. Open source people just don't care about UI design.

Nothing beats foobar due its over 9000 plugins and the nice converter.

>app

How does everyone feel about amarok?

Enough lolligagging, use lollypop already user

Attached: holy.png (1496x899, 1.45M)

>CSD
Cancer

>Enough lolligagging
Never enough.

It's short for application, mostly referring to "software applications" or "an application of X".

Linux users are too busy arguing about pointless shit like systemd to care about making good audio playback software.

Attached: 1523379499058.jpg (580x346, 47K)

>deadbeef is dead, not longer maintained.
github.com/DeaDBeeF-Player/deadbeef/graphs/contributors
?

what foobar features are lacking in linux audio players such as clementine or amarok?

i'm not an audiofag, so i'm clueless, this is a genuine question.

>If not, how are you guys normalizing your audio?

github.com/gotbletu/shownotes/blob/master/pulseaudio-dynamic-range-compression.md

Thanks for the responses. However, aren't these applied system-wide for audio? I only care about each music track being the same relative loudness. Am I misunderstanding?

this installs a system wide audio sink but you can choose what output to use for each application (pic related, kodi using the dynamic range compression plugin but smplayer using the default audio output).

Attached: Kazam_screenshot_00019.png (1344x704, 53K)

quodlibet.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Thanks bro, that makes sense.

Wow, just installed this

Bump for this

Attached: Screenshot from 2018-08-11 17-58-44.png (784x577, 80K)

>Spergs about what all the Linux players lack
>Well if you don't think fb2k is good you didn't put in the effort to make it good
Retard

>mpd is dumb
but have you even tired cantata + mpd?

Attached: SSR-2018-08-11_03.06.11.webm (1200x674, 2.65M)

>Quodlibet

Supporting this. The only one I tried that wasn't absolute shit for large collections.

Quod Libet get another +1 from me. Good with large libraries and has a decent number of plugins.

deadbeef is same shit as foobar

wrong
same as deadbeef
same as deadbeef

it doesn't,
and if you don't want a library, why would you even use anything else besides a file manager?

Deadbeef, cmus, quodlibet, Clementine are as good as foobar

you could check out sayonara
if you wanted to

Attached: Screenshot5.png (1241x831, 260K)

You're me.
Eventually I settled on audacious, it's not as nice as foobar but it's fine. Cmus is also fine.

tried audacious?
it's small and lightweight, like winamp used to be, and it has nice plugins

speaking of which, has anyone gotten this to compile?
github.com/lucashpandolfo/audacious-usf-plugin

clementine is buggy as heck

which linux audio player allows you to rate music and sync to android devices?

Honest to god, for a few tasks its just better to use Wine and a Windows application.
This can be annoying because even to this day I find that Wine and DE/WM environments handle MIME types very poorly, so that MP3 you double click in a file browser may not open in Foobar2k even when you tell it that its the default application.

this

that is pretty nice, gonna try it

I hate on clementine how it makes you put everything into a playlist. I just want to click on the song and listen. DeadBeef is good except that it doesn't let you organize the songs like it does in foobar and clementine, there is the "library browser" plugin but that didn't work for me last time I tried it, maybe I just did something wrong but other plugins would work fine. If I could get that library browser it would come really close to foobar in quality, foobar still has way more customization options though. It's really weird, because foobar is such a linux esque program with how bare minimum it is out of the box and how much you can customize it.

In case you're serious, there's a monumental difference between selecting ui elements and building a rich customization layout engine.

This is like desiging a web page vs desiging a browse and then a web page.

You make a good foundation, I'll put in the rest of the effort. In actuality though, I think you're just misdirecting your aggression towards some random person, which isn't nice.

Why aren't you using CMus? Just organize your music files in directories based on the artist. Then you just let the music play. Too simple for you? Are you afraid that it'll just work? Install CMus.

Attached: 022009a1ff6b057634f2c945f0320d63ee7d0a1bf4efee51ab280b1c88a08a4b.png (374x568, 267K)

Audacious is fine

Why did debian kick it out of the official repos then?

yes, cmus is enough, what more do you need?
if you want more customizabilty then use mpd+ncmpcpp where you can even stream them like these guys are saying you want to just listen to music right or you want to look at colors flashing before you for no reason. if it's the latter no one here can help you. stick to windows.

Attached: Screenshot_2018-08-11_23-08-34.png (1280x800, 54K)

>elk

Attached: 1528599950280.png (250x250, 92K)

what's the problem user?

elk is a jani from /vg/ and is mentally ill.

I'm very happy with mpd+ncmpcpp especially after finding that l retrieves me the lyrics

y not doe?
left foobar for mpd & ncmpcpp and havn't looked back since.

Attached: J5H_B_MmEYHBG-7iA7wAoCUbrnXoFMl_jwv6Z2hhAuo.png (640x380, 361K)

Try Cantata music player

Gotcha
I've been "elk" for over 2 decades though so it's unlikely I'll change my account names because of some faggot on /vg/

>QMMP
I just looked at it's website and I do wonder how it differs from audacious. Looks like another xmms/winamp type player, basically what audacious looks like once you change from the "GTK interface" to "Winamp".

Is it somehow better?

i use cmus and i just fuckin love how simple it is, im a bit of a brainlet so i like how all it shows is your music and there's no clutter in the UI. and then all you have to do to put more music in your list is :add (directory). it's just so easy

Debian doesn't update all of their softwares. Some of them yes, but normally the developers themselves upload their source and the Debian team will compile it for their distro, in order from sid to testing to stable.

I'd rather use proprietary software over nonexistent software.