Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aUCHy5y23nI
youtu.be/WgfaYKoQxzQ?t=13
youtube.com/watch?v=Sf6dwj44__g
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

> t. literal HAM boomer

>RadioShack only sold radios
Zoomer detected

all their shit was overpriced, no wonder they got shut down. fucking $13 for thermal paste

Nope, I can probably count the number I times I went into Radio Shack in my entire life on one hand.

I don't miss paying $5 USD for a 15¢ part. They actually owned Allied Electronics for awhile then sold them off to a company in the UK. There is no excuse for their poor management and lack of forward thinking.

Radioshack was only good back then on the HAM golden days and when they had those computer kits in the 70s-80s, but anywhere after they were selling only consumer shit and packaged components with stupid markups.
They unironically had their chance for a comeback with the whole "maker movement" crap at the beginning of the decade but they kept being shit and promptly died.

They refused to stay with the times and overpriced anything. By the time they tried to do something about it, they were already marked for death.
youtube.com/watch?v=aUCHy5y23nI
Basically their last attempt to draw in customers.

I sure love to pay $4 for a bunch of resistors lmao

why do you post ironic chink advertising so often

Too bad they only show the new store for 1.5 seconds in that ad, I have no idea what they were going for besides smartphones and meme headphones, both of which can easily be obtained elsewhere.

RadioShack has only been relevant to me when comparing their black friday ads against Target, Best Buy, and Walmart.

Were employees at RadioShack specially trained to be passive irritated shits or is that just who they attracted?

Attached: 1533692862543.jpg (1242x1233, 237K)

>Too bad
No, the old store was better. At least you got a free battery every month. Those red ones.

Not to mention they asked for your phone number every. single. time. and got all pissy when you refused to give it. I know it's a corporate decision but it just makes the experience that much more annoying.

youtu.be/WgfaYKoQxzQ?t=13

This ain't paradise, put up a fucking light.

Now it's BestBuy asking for your email.
Always use a sock account, btw.

Nope, Don't really miss it.
I think the only thing I ever bought there was a headphone splitter and some other random small shit under $10.

I really do. They had lots of random bare electronics you couldn't just grab anywhere else. Internet you had to wait. Shit I need a capacitor or a switch? RadioShack likely has it now.

Anything else in the store was utter junk though.

Attached: radioshackcap.jpg (800x531, 140K)

We still have Radio Shack here

>here
w

Have you never worked retail before?

We still have them under a different name in Canada.

I never go there to actually buy anything, because they never have it, there is literally no reason to ever go to one. Any time that I need something, TODAY, they never have what i need. The only reason to go to a local store is because i need it now, not tomorrow, not whenever they can order it in, NOW!

Not him but in Mexico they popped up as soon as they vanished on the US.

Just remember user, the cashier doesn't give a fuck what your number is.
It's not him being salty, it's you're
>HURR DURR, I'M NOT GIVING YOU MY FUCKING NUMBER, WHY WOULD I DO THAT? RESPECT MY PRIVACY
response that makes him pissy because he deals with that shit all the fucking time

Next time just say "I'm not interested in marketing information, thanks anyway" makes it less awkward and you don't have to get infuriated and spend your night replaying that moment in your head.

It was the phones that killed them. So much training and effort went towards pushing phone sales and upgrades.

Parts draw items were mostly like $1.49, with plenty under a dollar. What part are you (probably misremembering) remembering paying a 3300% markup for?

> Oh it wasn't so bad it was only 900% extra.

>Can we get your email?
>Sure, [email protected]

Attached: 1509795211385.png (240x286, 123K)

the internet killing radio shack was probably one of the most proconsumer things to ever happen to
do you miss buying electronics marked up 500%?

>Thinking you should be able to buy something for what it costs to make.
Packaging, Transport, Theft, Profit.
They didn't engage in bulk sales of thousands like most parts manufacturers/sellers. If you think the parts draw items were on average overpriced you have no concept of how an economy or business works.
Now if you want to bitch about the battery markups, you've got my full support.

Those poor capacitor legs

Attached: 1524956760039.jpg (256x313, 13K)

There is something about being able to pop down to your local radio shack and pick up some parts that you need quick though.

best you can do now is getting it prime'd and GL getting your $1 relay for less than 500% marked up shipped to you next day. Not missing it though.

if you're an electronics enthusiast you must have thousands of components scraped off of random shit. I have drawers full of caps and inductors and such

Yes, I hate chinks parts.

Where the fuck do I buy 555 timers on a whim now

My mother got me my first modern computer at Radio Shack (1997). An IBM Aptiva. Fully loaded it cost around what'd you pay for a decent used car (then).

> Packaging, Transport, Theft, Profit.
Look at . A whole blister package for single capacitors. If they're bleeding money that's not my problem. Maybe they could've used just printed bags or envelopes if they really wanted to use packaging and been able to offer better prices.

> They didn't engage in bulk sales of thousands like most parts manufacturers/sellers. If you think the parts draw items were on average overpriced you have no concept of how an economy or business works.
No, but I've always been able to walk to other electronics stores and grab single components for at most a third of their prices.

> Now if you want to bitch about the battery markups, you've got my full support.
I've always bought large packs from Costco :^)

this

I've never seen people so unwilling to help or interact with people on a consistent basis. Even salvation army has nicer staff.

Salvation army doesn't have people come in and try to haggle with you over the price, outright lying that they saw it cheaper at the other radioshack.
They don't have to deal with people buying something, using it for what they needed it for, and then returning it.
They don't have to deal with those people literally hamfisting everything back into the package like a child putting away their clothes.
They don't have to deal with their commission being reverted when those items are returned.
They don't have to deal with people throwing a tantrum when you won't accept a return because it's damaged or something else.
Or people throwing a tantrum when you tell them you can't replace their wire because the extended warranty they bought doesn't cover accidental damage even though you remember stressing this fact and explaining it such that even a 6 year old could understand to this exact person 3 days ago.
Or being forced to take lunch, because they'll just insert half an hour of unpaid time for lunch if you don't take a lunch.
Or have someone yell at you that you sold them the wrong thing when you explicitly went out of your way to confirm what setup they have when they asked for some stupid generic thing like "computer cable", when they told you the wrong setup.
Or have someone ask for internet jacks, you confirm they want rj45 and show them to the rj45 jacks and say 'these are what you want' and hand them to them. You go ring up a waiting customer, and then the internet jack guy show up at the register with rj19 jacks because they're cheaper and he assumed you were trying to sell him expensive stuff (literally nicks and dimes difference) he didn't need. Oh and he just threw the rj45 jacks onto the raised floor under the pegs instead of putting them back onto the peg.

The general public is retarded and entitled. Work retail long enough and you'll start to feel a general disdain for everyone too, that or you'll just stop caring.

>RadioShack
Overpriced shit with a worse build quality than chink shit. Spent the last moments of their life pushing phones on people instead of catering to what the customers actually came to the store for.
Had they managed to get their shit straight, they could have become something like a larger chain of Micro-Center.

Attached: 1457317911498.png (156x166, 3K)

>bro bought the TRS-80 here
>i bought a dialer and crystal to make a redbox here and that shit worked

The "Source" is worse now than RadioShack ever was. Those odd, specialty (sort of) parts they used to have they don't bother with anymore. What they do carry is easily x 20 what you would pay on ebay, and it's the same cheap quality Chink shit. If you need it now, BestBuy and Stapless (I'm keeping the typo because I like it) will likely have it.

>cliff claven
>ponch
>dee synder
>hogan
lol

According to their crappy website, in U.S. and Canada anything under the RadioShack name operates through "Authorized RadioShack Dealers", whatever that is exactly.

They sold caps????
THAT could still be useful, even today. I know of only one, solitary store on the whole island of Montreal that sells them, (((Abra Electronics))).

> still holding on

Attached: MIN7.jpg (1336x824, 745K)

>I've always bought large packs from Costco :^)
▶Dollarama ▶▶ masterrace

youtube.com/watch?v=Sf6dwj44__g

"You have questions, we have blank stares"

Aussie equivalent is still around, Jaycar

Same situation, only place to get any electrical component basically

Nah got a couple of Fry's Electronics around me if I ever need the odd part I can't find in any big box store

Fry's is at best a hollow shell of its former self. I went in for the first time in about 20 years last summer and they didn't have a single useful component or tool for sale.

What ever happened to Circuit City?
Last I ever saw of them, I saw one close down in like 2004 and watched their building get converted into a Costco that never replaced the large cube in the front, so it retained that iconic shape and made it fun to walk around and reminisce.

Attached: 8FD3369C-E9BF-4B58-A503-D0A1FD8ABB07.jpg (640x360, 37K)

This

Idk the one in Sacramento had a full on electronics parts sections for hobbyists. Idk your use case scenarios, but I still have a reason to go. Plus being able to actually test out and tinker with the PC cases is an instant boner for me.

>At the end of 2013, the chain owned 4,297 US stores
>An additional 900 stores remain in the hands of independent dealers

lol jesus christ if they just kept it small time they would probably be fine to this day

>From 2000 to 2011, RadioShack spent US$2.6 billion repurchasing its own stock in an attempt to prop up a share price which fell from US$24.33 toUS $2.53

yeah apple only has 272 stores in the US, even less world wide. Like 500 all up.

RS would have had thousands of stores losing money

>272
lol 272

It's a shitty two fold problem, to be a large company with a lot of outlets, they simply have to mark stuff up to break even. But they have a supply chain large enough to buy items at quantaties where smaller sellers can't compete.

/thread

They went under fairly quickly in 2007-2008. Best Buy is basically CC in 2005 and living on borrowed time.

FutureShop no longer has a future....

Attached: rs_IMG_1361.jpg (2000x1500, 382K)

Attached: rs_IMG_1360.jpg (2000x1500, 277K)

>"can I get your zip code please"
Whatever zip code this is
>"No I mean your zip code"
Whatever zip code this is
>"The zip code is needed to complete the transaction"
*stared at the guy* put my wallet away and walked out. Never went to one since.

>packaged components with stupid markups
This. I can wait a week for any project I'd feel the need to do and pay 1/10th the price, with shipping, for the correct parts. Even the component stuff is now cheaper/easier to find online (amps, mixers, etc.) and quality is the same.

I managed 3 stores at a time and it was that job that made me racist. One store was at a afb. Those cheap entitled fuckers. One was in a white paradise and the last was in the ghetto. Store was broken into about every week and having to deal with monkeys after Christmas was a nightmare.

I like going to Microcenter because they usually have Newegg deals on PC parts and it's faster if I just need something small like cables or adapters or whatever.

we still have a bunch of them here in TX, San Antonio has four of five....

Breezewood travel plaza TA truck stop in PA has one upstairs. It's mostly a CB radio shop with Radio Shack on the front but it's still a Radio Shack

>not harvesting parts from scrap boards
*crack*
*sip*

Not when it's Other People's Stuff.

People ITT are bitching about phones sales but it was a great place to buy one. I got an HTC One M7 after launch for $50. The S II I had before that was also $50.

Attached: 1522247988423.jpg (1181x410, 68K)

Attached: 1533988022777.jpg (1245x929, 257K)

Attached: 1533987829045.jpg (1263x857, 282K)

>> t. haven't needed a some simple part IMMEDIATELY for some engineering project

Sure it was overpriced to hell, but damn there are times when you just need a tiny switch or some other random component. Thank god for microcenter, though they just don't have the ubiquity that radioshack once had.

Oh boy let me just wait three months for this 555 timer I need right fucking now. PS with the new tariffs it's going to be cheaper to buy from fucking digikey

pick the right shipping method and it comes in one week.

I actually do. my town has no other hobby electronics stores. so I have to order all my electronic components online which doesn't help with my impulsiveness

My father had all of those cambridge 5.1 surround sound system speakers in 90s pc beige. I remember playing Half Life with him and the headcrabs behind us spookin us. they would also pick up CB radio signals when a semi truck went by. if you left the speakers turned up and on while laying in bed you would randomly be awoken by loud truckers talking on CB radio.

Attached: 1532586764286.png (380x349, 70K)

RIP

Attached: file.png (1200x390, 47K)

> overpriced cables
> lies and sells customer data to get out of first bankruptcy
> sells customer data yet again in a buy-out
what am i missing again?

miss the mags more than to stores.

Attached: 1533991802918.jpg (671x915, 210K)

Is this ?

Attached: 1533991923030.jpg (626x849, 186K)

>I can wait a week for any project
Yeah, and some of us can't. Sometimes I'm out of capacitors or a resistor and I have a project due in two days.

Do you think that anyone wasn't ordering from mouser for things we didn't need immediately? Radioshack was a godsend for things that we needed to get done ASAP.

For instance, a resistor blew on the power board for my moms ice maker. I didn't have any 10k Ohm resistors on hand so I had to order them online. I would have gladly just paid $2 for 10 resistors to fix the fucking problem on the day and just go home.

unless you're a literal NEET you understand the cost value of having easy access for parts when you need them. I'll pay the 10x markup because my time is worth 100x that, even through the freelance shit I do on the side.

>digikey
Once the distributor channels use up current inventory, best believe that tariffs will be passed along to their customers

>Work retail long enough and you'll start to feel a general disdain for everyone too, that or you'll just stop caring

Fuck do I ever know this feel. I worked in a clothing store during high school and then a now-defunct Canadian electronics retailer when I was in university. Both experiences made me want to kill half the customers.

Source is pretty bad-tier. Seems like it has turned into a cellphone accessory store. Agreed that you are a lot better off going to Staples, at least they have pretty decent selection and sometimes the stuff goes on sale.

Seeing this makes me feel strangely nostalgic for a time when I wasn't even alive.

you wouldn't if you knew how expensive everything was and how useless it was compared to what we have today. $1000 in 1975 is $4700 today.

I wasn't talking about the Altair, I was talking about a magazine including how-tos for all kinds of neat projects.

go to a proper electronics store

Radioshack was the closest thing to that in my area

i only went there if i desperately needed some small component like a resistor or something. otherwise i ordered my shit online

this. there is a "proper" electronics store but it's a drive and they're open like 9 to 5 weekdays. weekends usually when i run into needing shit

they went out of business for a reason and "lack of consumer interest in electronics" is not one of them.

Why the fuck didn't Radioshack take advantage of the whole "maker" DIY trend with Arduinos and Raspberry Pis and the like?

They're too afraid.

The only thing I ever bought at radioshack was an overpriced resistor