/pcbg/ - PC Building General

>Create a part list
pcpartpicker.com/
>Learn how to build a PC
Search youtube for a build guide for your socket

Want help?
>State the budget & CURRENCY for your build
>List your uses; eg Gaming, Video Editing, VM Work
>For monitors, include purpose (eg photo editing, gaming) and graphics card pairing (if applicable)
>Don't use Speccy. Use HWinfo, SIV, etc.

CPUs
>R3 2200G - Bare minimum gaming(dGPU optional)
>R5 2400G - Consider IF on sale
>R5 2600/X - Good gaming & multithreaded work use CPUs
>i7-8700K - Best for 1080p gaming, but most expensive when factoring in delid, cooling, etc.
>R7 2700/X - Best high-end gaming/mixed usage on a non-HEDT platform
>Threadripper/Used Xeon - HEDT

Motherboards
>For Intel, only Z300 series boards can utilize fast memory

RAM
>8GB - Enough for most gaming use
>16GB - Standard for heavy use
>32GB - If you have to ask, you don't need this
>CPUs benefit from fast RAM; 2933MHz+ is ideal

Graphics cards
>Avoid cheap models ie MSI Armor (Mk2 is ok), Gigabyte G1/Wf, ASUS duals, and others which have small heatsinks and low quality fans
>Only consider AMD GPU if you plan on getting an upcoming HDR monitor
1080p
>RX 570/580 /w Freesync or 1060 6GB are standard 1080p 60fps+ options
>1050Ti or RX560 for lower settings, or older games
>GTX 1070Ti/Vega 56 if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU+monitor to match
1440p
>Vega 56 /w Freesync, 1070Ti if you already have Gsync
>GTX 1080Ti if seeking higher fps & you have a CPU+monitor to match
2160p(4K)
>Titan V or upscale from 1440-1800p
OpenCL work
>Vega 64

Storage
>Consider StoreMi
>Consider getting a larger SSD (better GB/$) instead of small SSD & large HDD
>2TB HDDs are barely more $ than 1TB
>M.2 is a form factor, NOT a performance standard

Monitors
>Consider 75hz minimum; 60hz are mostly old models.
>Always consider FreeSync with AMD cards
>___sync is important for slower response time monitors (IPS)
>PLAN YOUR BUILD AROUND YOUR MONITOR IF GAMING

Previous

Attached: 1532367252501.jpg (1061x2816, 977K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/8j8M4q
techpowerup.com/246025/qa-consultants-determines-amds-most-stable-graphics-drivers-in-the-industry
qaconsultants.com/
computerbase.de/2018-07/amd-radeon-treiber-stabilitaets-test/
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dTBcGG
youtu.be/ms7HQ7rckpA
pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-overclocking/.
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for based Skylake-X

Attached: 1533674627541.jpg (800x1011, 274K)

I'm starting to think the OP has an AMD bias.

okay g i might have fucked up. 3 days ago my mothervoard out of nowhere lost its cmos confy so i thought maybe it was a bug on the mobo bios so i upated it to latest version. i was 2 versions behind. i updated the bios for my msi b350 mortar to last version and it was unstable so i decided to reset bios by taking out rhe battery and now pc wont boot. wtf to do? got the pc 2-3 weeks ago. also when i turn it on fans seem to spin at uts highest and wont post, is this dead mobo?

it is a prebuilt.

Attached: image.jpg (4032x3024, 3.62M)

would it actually be much cheaper to source all these things and build it myself? the price seems pretty reasonable
i know its fuckboy gamer shit but dont hate

Attached: f10ff21f-494f-4712-91e4-f8b25d3e2155[1].png (1088x630, 128K)

sexy

7 million triangles?!

Sure, I do.
I have an AMD bias the same way most very knowledgable people have an AMD bias.
The way Gamersnexus Steve, Buildzoid, Pixelpipes, Budget Builds Official, Anand, so on and so forth, all have an AMD bias.
I readily admit I have a bias, but it doesn't cloud my judgement or anything.
Who knew that knowledge gave you biases? Not retards, apparently.

Im trying to see about putting in this ram I have and getting a better graphics card

Don't you talk about Steve!

AMD = Cheap hot shit. Sorry lad, your 8 billion cores will never be as good as intels.

Intel and Nvidia has anti-consumer practices so I buy inferior products to voice my dissent.

You could go as high as Vega 56 or a 1070ti/1080 at 1440p and not really worry about the 4790 bottlenecking significantly, if at all.
But you'd probably need to replace the PSU as well.

If you want the best card you can get without replacing the PSU, then a 1050Ti that doesn't require a 6pin.

Why not?

Ryzen is far more efficient than any *Lake.
I don't have this comparison for the new chips, but the 2700 has even higher perf/watt than the 1700 did.

Attached: perf watt.png (1500x719, 49K)

Sorry, my experience with AMD has been terrible, both with GPUs and CPUs. I had the 7950 and one of its fans died just a few months after buying it, constant BSODs, the APU I bought had power issues and terrible performance, and all because I just wanted to save a few bucks but its not worth it. Ive been on intel/nvidia since 2014 and have had maybe 2 BSODs since then, never any driver issues and the components are running as if bought yesterday. AMD is just garbage

I notice you said Vega 56 first.

sounds like you're just bad at computers.

No matter how hard you spin it, the fact is AMD is cheaper because it uses cheap materials and shoddy software. Intel and Nvidia are just superior

Old computer just stopped working so I'm buying a new one what do you guys think?
pcpartpicker.com/list/8j8M4q
>intel Core I7-8700k
>Asus Prime Z370-A
>16 GB RAM
>500 GB M.2 SSD
>GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB

Attached: final.png (1000x1500, 468K)

>cheap materials
lmao, shows how much you know about CPUs

What did your first self built computer look like? Did it perform how you intended it to? What did you screw up?

Thank you. Can I also ask if this ram is useful to me? Its two sticks and they say
Super talent
W1333UX8G9
STT DDR3 1333 8gb(2x4gb)
KITS CL9

Attached: No NASA.jpg (640x691, 32K)

That's the go to high-end gaming build. What are you going to use for a monitor sentpai?

Bought a used GTX 770 and one of the fan bearings was shot. I was in denial about it and when I finally decided to return it to the store the one month warranty was up.

I bought a giant ass case and mini components in fear it wouldnt fit, at least it had god tier ventilation and didnt overheat

Pull the trigger before these people try to convince you to go Ryzen and Vega.

Yes, because that's the better option if you're willing the tweak the clocks and voltage.
AMD has better software and drivers, and is also less dependent

AMD's drivers have been independently confirmed to be the most stable many times over the past decade, including this year.
Like when Nvidia users were complaining that Vista was shit and crashed all the time, when it was Nvidia's driver and software causing the crashes.
You likely had some issue unrelated to AMD, but are blaming them because you're inept at computers.

It means you have some pretty slow DDR3 1333MHz RAM.

Tbird 1.333
9700 Pro
768Mb of RAM.
It was amazing.
I cheaped out and used a PSU that came with a case and it exploded, though.

Attached: source of vista crashes.jpg (636x477, 32K)

You could use a simple GPU with it.
GT 1030- GTX 1050Ti if you dont want to deal with PSU problems.
GTX 1060 6GB/RX 580 if your PSU can power them.

Anything better would need a PSU change which will be somewhat expensive.

>AMD has better software and drivers

any help?

I got a really shitty graphics card, a generation older CPU then was reasonable, I bought an 850 watt PSU in a build that could have been fine with 450, and I bought an MSI motherboard that blew up after a month and I believed them when they said that the damage was caused by my PSU and that they therefore couldn't cover it so I bought a new motherboard and PSU, also an 850, later had the original PSU tested and it was still good, my friend has used it for a year and a half no issues.

>Founders edition
Why?

Probably gonna use the monitors i have now which are 1080p
But I've really been needing this more for running simulation software and other processor heavy stuff

>vista
This is 10 years ago nigger

>AMD has better software and drivers, and is also less dependent
is also less dependent on a driver update for decent performance as in with BF5.

It does though. Do you have an actual argument? Because Steve from Gamer's Nexus and most people who aren't retarded agree with that sentiment.
Even Jow Forumsnvidia probably agrees with that sentiment more than anyone else.

If I'm going for 1440p 144hz I can safely downgrade from a 2600x with a x470 taichi to a 2600 with a b450m bazooka to save a bit of money to spend towards a gtx 1170 since m-muh games are going to be gpu bottlenecked, right?

And it's still a problem.

Stop name dropping Steve to try to give yourself credibility.

My philosophy was that I would design the build for 1080p gaming, but my dad was paying for it and was okay with up to $2000 so I inflated the budget in every other way. Result was a 290/4690k build with a $300 motherboard, $180 ram (when there was far cheaper for better), $200 case, $200 SSD, $100 for RAID HDDs, and a $400 monitor with good color accuracy. Still feel bad for how much money I wasted...

how is this relevant? More people own nvidia than ati. Just look at steam stats to see that.

>why?
cause I haven't done that much research and this seems adequate for running heavy fluid dynamics

Attached: ubuntu-logo16.png (500x500, 44K)

As you mentioned a new GPU gen is almost here. The GPU bottleneck meme is about to be over.

ati/nvidia marketshare was competitive when vista was relevant.

Stop making baseless assertions like a twit

Your Dad was testing you to see if you'd spend all the money he offered.

Why don't you stick with the 2600X but get the b450m Mortar or something?

If you're trying to say that over 1.5x more people "owned Nvidia" than Intel and ATI combined, you're mega retarded.
Also if you look at market share at the time, Nvidia was far from 75% marketshare over ATI.
Also Intel has had graphics drivers for their integrated graphics, you fucking moron.

So we should instead go by some Nvidia-fanboy user's opinion as if it's fact?

No just go by benchmarks. Or are you the guy that says average FPS doesn't matter?

If AMD is so good why is it so cheap?

Avoid Reference cards in general.

desu amd cards go for more than gtx cards these days.

it's also a retarded argument in general though. there are a billion reasons why it might be cheaper that aren't quality-dependent.

Because when you have a lower market share you have to reduce your prices even when your products are superior to others.

check mate

It's a lot more for a little bit more performance, isn't it? I thought it could be oc'd to match the 2600x. I might get it if it drops back down to 180-190 by the time new gpus come out.
Yes, but wouldn't having a 2600 and an 1170 be better than having a 2600x and 1080 for my use case?

My AMD CPU experiences have been shit but the 7950 was the tightest shit I ever bought and would probably still be usable on medium low settings. That thing was just too damn good.

No 1440p 144hz is quite demanding still.

Better manufacturing process and the idea that it's an inferior product allow them to sell it for cheaper than intel would.

I guess we'll see if the rumors about the 1170 being $500 and better than a 1080 ti hold up in a few weeks.

You can OC the 2600 to match the 2600X, but you need at least a ~$18 cooler to do so.
2600X comes with a better cooler stock.

AMD still has crazy margins at those lower prices due to their superior node and yields.
Wasn't it 39% margins in the last financial report which jumped their stock up over 30%?

Now their margins on RX580 vs 1060 are surely worse. Its' a larger die with more VRAM. But it's also clearly superior at 1440p on average, and even more so going by DX12 and Vulkan.
But sure, current Nvidia cards are great if you just play old games like GTAV and Skyrim.

It's hard to believe them due to the position Nvidia has in the market and how much they aggressively love high margins more than anyone.
But it's certainly within their power and engineering prowess to create and sell such a chip.

As if an amd fanboy's opinion is ever better
>look at this 10 year old pie graph!!

What happens each time someone buys an nvidia card / intel cpu?

At least I had some sort of empirical evidence to back up what I've said, unlike your baseless autistic screeching.

techpowerup.com/246025/qa-consultants-determines-amds-most-stable-graphics-drivers-in-the-industry
And yes, AMD paid for the research to be done, but it's still an independent lab that they simply hired to QA their products compared to the competitors. If they results weren't good, they wouldn't have released them, but they were good. qaconsultants.com/

no one going to reply to me?

Attached: tumblr_om8suopKHb1uovx5no1_500[1].png (500x405, 170K)

I think we shouldnt give out advice on CPU/GPU until we have concrete, hard evidence on which manufacturer is better

it's generally cheaper to buy the parts and build it yourself.

Is $480 a good price for a Vega 56?

Close to getting most of the parts for my build; just need to shell out $500 for the cpu and ram and I'll be good to go. Hopefully I can find a good deal on them at some point soon.

Attached: 2018-08-10-230923_1155x739_scrot.png (1155x739, 135K)

PSU is shitty as fuck.
It has yet to mention which RX 580.
Horrible motherboard.
Stock speed RAM.
Seagate HDDs suck.

And it would be 20-30% cheaper to build it yoruself with better parts.

>see they are stable running a "stress test"

Nobody complained about this. They complained about the drivers performance in the newest games.

Why would you take the trident RAM when you can get the ripjaw V series same speed and everything for much less?

Some kitten dies a horrible death.

I'm a turncoat who goes with everything which offers the best bang for the buck and at the moment that's AMD + Nvidia. I had 2 AMD and 2 Intel PCs over the last 20 years. I do have a slight AMD bias because you can't really deny the scummy tricks Nvidia and Intel love to pull, but buying an AMD card at the moment doesn't seem like a good idea especially since I'm not interested in the higher tier cards. I just want an RX 560 for a reasonable price.

is it bait ? you legit plan on buying X ryzen with fuckin MSI B350 MORTAR ?

Attached: 1532112794794.png (1920x1590, 2.43M)

This was their stress testing btw

Unfortunately, Microsoft does not specify what CRASH is testing. AMD talks about " a variety of graphical functions across DirectX 9, 10 and 11 including changes in resolution, color settings, screen rotations, color overlays, sleeping and waking up ". Apparently, there are no tests under load, but often changes of settings are often checked, as well as falling asleep and the recovery of the system. Thus, the tests check the stability of the graphics card in conjunction with Windows 10 itself and not the stability of the graphics card in conjunction with consumer or professional applications. This is particularly questionable in the professional models, as they are often operated with a different operating system.

The whole idea of their testing is a joke. It's all a PR stunt

computerbase.de/2018-07/amd-radeon-treiber-stabilitaets-test/

don't know your local prices, but a 2600+RX580 build is generally around $850-$1100 depending on 8Gb or 16Gb, and whether it's a 250Gb or 500Gb-1Tb SSD.
So that seems massively fucking overpriced. Why do you need to ask us that? Why can't you copy the parts into pcpp and see for yourself?
Also CX/M PSU have issues for loads of people.

Is $100 for RX560 full CU not reasonable? Seems reasonable to me. That's what 1050s cost for less VRAM and much worse DX12 and Vulkan perf.

RX580 gets 200+ fps average at 1080p highest in Yakuza 0, 60+ fps average in MHW. What are these new games it's doing so bad compared to the competition in? The only one I can think of is fucking FROSTPUNK.

Wait for B450M Mortar to come out.
And $263 for the worst model of RX580 is awful.

Have you guys ever bought parts and shit and made a decent build and then just sold it to someone for a profit?

I with amd shills would neck themselves
They are the worst

I'm with you too, friend.

Doesn't seem worth the effort of dealing with idiots on letgo/craigslist.

Maybe, although I'm not a bong and might have fucked something up.

uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/dTBcGG

AMD is dishonest. This has been proven time and again in their benchmarks and marketing.

>Nvidia does it too!

How much difference can a mother board make? I'm debating between a Asus - Prime X470-Pro and the slightly cheaper MSI - X470 GAMING PLUS. My CPU is a Ryzen 7 and my video card is a GTX 1080, if that matters.

it won't make a difference.
It's all just features basically when they are the same sockets. Could be more pci slots, rgb lighting, a better onboard sound card. It doesn't really matter

lol no

potentially a large difference if you intend to overclock.

it doesn't really matter above $100. go with the cheaper one.

MSI it is. Thanks.

Hadn't really decided on what ram to get honestly, heard G. Skill was a good brand and would work well with ryzen. Ripjaw V is quite a bit cheaper so I'll look into that.
Nigga it's a solid mobo. Although the B450 has better thermals I'll admit.
Would rather stick to the B350M. Knowing my luck the B450's are going to be riddled with flaws when they come out, would feel better with a board that's been on the market for awhile. What's wrong with the GPU? The reviews are favorable and it's leagues abouve any shit Asrock card.

Performance? depends.
Durability? Huge.

Have you tried lowering settings?
I can play LoL perfectly fine with the Intel igpu

how much better do you think a gtx 1180 will do compared to a 1080ti?

Attached: nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-1-2-920x518-780x405.jpg (780x405, 43K)

What ram is recommended for a 8700k?

Its the 2080 and its 7% faster and 50% faster than the 1080
youtu.be/ms7HQ7rckpA
Go to 19:40
Ryzen

Can a 1080Ti be overclocked 7% or is overclocking on lockdown now?

>Durability? Huge.
You can't test durability under normal conditions (the hardware would be obsolete by the time you reached a conclusion), so you better provide a source for your claim.

Stop linking this and saying these numbers like they mean anything. It's literally just rumor and speculation.

$464CAD after discounts
Is it a nice monitor? I've only heard good things

Attached: firefox_2018-08-10_21-07-35.png (1038x819, 252K)

>Can a 1080Ti be overclocked 7% or is overclocking on lockdown now?
>but other games that are more GPU limited definitely benefit, with >10 percent gains in Battlefield 1, Far Cry Primal, Gears 4, Wildlands, and Rise of the Tomb Raider. Overall, performance improves by eight percent at 1440p thanks to overclocking.
>But Doom sees nearly a 20 percent improvement, and several other games show impressive gains of 15-17 percent. On average, at 4K performance is up 10 percent—not too shabby!.
pcgamer.com/geforce-gtx-1080-ti-overclocking/.
You should watch out which brand you buy cause google search seems to have alot of searches on 1080ti overheating
My link also notes this
>The GTX 1080 Ti routinely bumps into the power limit when overclocked
Its a reliable leak and its too detailed for it not to be true and exactly the kind of think nvidia would do

yeah buying the most expensive board is no guarantee it will survive longer
anecdotal evidence: my expensive z77 asus board is ded but my cheap as fuck budget p45 asus still works, hardware is a million spinning plates that can fail at anytime
common sense: provide good airflow and monitor the motherboard temps if at or below 80C you are fine till the year 3000 but as you edge toward 105C parts will only last their rated lifetimes EG 10k hours

I have three of these and wish I didn't. One burnt in, the other developed a yellow line through it. All after warranty.

About to pull the trigger, what do you lads think? I am going with a ASRock z370 k6 motherboard. All opinions are appreciated

Attached: Final Build.jpg (1226x564, 101K)

>pulling a trigger on a $530 ftw dt

Your memory is pretty trash, and your system is quite massively overbuilt compared to the awful monitor you're using.