OpenBSD

is OpenBSD responsible for heartbleed?

sorry if this question is out of date, but i was wondering

OpenSSL and OpenSSH are somehow considered sub-projects of OpenBSD

is this true?

if so, then Heartbleed was a bug in code that came from the people behind OpenSSL, so that means theo

amirite?

Attached: puffy.png (1200x781, 180K)

Other urls found in this thread:

sohcahtoa.org.uk/openbsd.html
man.openbsd.org/startx
libressl.org/papers.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GnBbhXBDmwU
youtube.com/watch?v=WFMYeMNCcSY
youtube.com/watch?v=oM6S7FEUfkU
youtube.com/watch?v=-4psTQ1sX7s
tedunangst.com/flak/post/new-openssh-key-format-and-bcrypt-pbkdf
ianix.com/pub/libressl-deployment.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The xsession is broken oob
I can't exec I3 nor xfce fuck this garbage os

OpenSSL, a project unrelated to OpenBSD, was responsible for Heartbleed. When this happened, OpenBSD forked OpenSSL into LibreSSL.

OpenSSL has no relation to the OpenBSD project. Like always, OpenBSD has taken the initiative to de-cruft and harden OpenSSL with the LibreSSL fork which every other OS will eventually leech without funding the OpenBSD project.

Learn how to X. We all had our own .xinitrc back in the day before Ubuntu came along.

What they get for being permissive cucks

Funny all works on arch but .xinitrc just doesn't work on openbsd and there are no tutorials.

It works the same way it does on Linux, you just run $ echo "exec wm" > ~/.xinitrc then startx gets you to your desktop

OpenSSL is not and never has been a subproject of openbsd. AFTER heartbleed, they forked it because everyone saw just how horrible the code was.

It is so bad, it should be considered as a case study for generations to come on how NOT to write software. Everyone made excuses saying they didn't have funding so code was shit. Only incompetence could explain how bad it was.

Openbsd certainly would've preferred to rewrite from scratch but that was not practical since the issue with OpenSSL is literally on every level including API design. Since OpenSSL is so core to pretty much everything crypto for most software, they had to support the shit API.

Openbsd's new fork is called libreSSL not OpenSSL. This is for a reason actually. The intention was to remove the outdated and literally completely broken crypto functions that are there just for compatibility. They restructured the codebase. Actually documented it to the openbsd doc standards which was an ongoing effort that took years. They removed over 1/3 of the code while implementing new sane APIs that actually do what you'd think they do.

TL;DR Openbsd never developed OpenSSL. After heartbleed they decided it was beyond repair and made major changes. Theo never liked OpenSSL and was very quick to fork. Now bow before your god. He mercy killed OpenSSL.

>>there are no tutorials
>He doesn't use the top quality man pages
Stay away from the BSDs especially openbsd. Go back to Arch Linux. They have (((tutorials))) there. Or grow balls and read the man pages.

I don't remember having to read tutorials to understand a simple script. Has Linux fallen so far with handholding?

reminder that after OpenBSS forked LibreSSL, they found and fixed even more serious bugs that heartbleed.
OpenSSL is just trash. Heartbleed could have been found with few socends of fuzzing.

how do you fail at this

did you forget the dot

it writes some xserver error, i modified the /etc/host(s?) file, some errors went away, still can't even launch that shit. Sorry but I'm not willing to reconfigure xorg or whatever the hell just to run i3wm. I hate arch with passion but this procedure was on it easy. Unix is truly the obsolete bullshit.

are you talking about starting XFCE from xenodm?
this could be useful sohcahtoa.org.uk/openbsd.html (ignore the wifi part, there is autojoin now)
lots of it is in the xenodm manpage and additional docs for XFCE in /usr/local/share/doc/pkg-readmes/

man startx
or
man.openbsd.org/startx

Well you're obviously a stupid cunt because you're trying to run that garbage in the first place when there's the superior CWM that comes with OpenBSD.

bad day for the haters of openbsd

works on my machine so far, through xenodm to xfce on fresh install
and xinitrc works with single line
dunno what's your issue

Attached: VirtualBox_openbsd snapshot_11_08_2018_12_05_16.png (1024x768, 156K)

if anyone wants the nervous laughter, just read rants (the first 30 days) of LibreSSL
libressl.org/papers.html
youtube.com/watch?v=GnBbhXBDmwU
youtube.com/watch?v=WFMYeMNCcSY
youtube.com/watch?v=oM6S7FEUfkU
youtube.com/watch?v=-4psTQ1sX7s
(probably duplicated content from Bob Beck in some of these)

the headline about OpenSSH having a weak private key encryption that made the top pages was a known issue for 4 years, it was using OpenSSL function specifically designed for storing private RSA keys... using md5 as key derivation function
relevant report by Chad Unangst tedunangst.com/flak/post/new-openssh-key-format-and-bcrypt-pbkdf

Has any distro adopted libreSSL by default?

ianix.com/pub/libressl-deployment.html
OpenELEC and Alpine appears to be the biggest ones
anyway in what way is OpenSSL/LibreSSL integrated into OS? In what way is it not "just a library" that could not coexist with different implementations??

>Windows 10Build 17134.48 or later

Attached: interesting.jpg (250x235, 9K)

>inb4 corporate cucks
M$ is a major OpenBSD Foundation sponsor

>OpenSSL
No, the name may make it seem that way, but they're not related. OpenBSD's fork is called LibreSSL since the OpenSSL name was already taken ;)

Nobody actually uses BSD as a desktop OS.
It gets shilled heavily around here because the enemies of true software freedom hate copyleft, and want to indoctrinate potential developers into the bsd world of cuckoldry.
Too bad they're wasting their efforts, because there are no actual developers on Jow Forums. It's basically computer /b/ at this point, because the very shills that the enemies of true software freedom sent here are the cancer that killed Jow Forums.

OpenBSD.

Joke's on you. I use it almost every day now. Currently migrating from Arch Linux. I'll finally pull the plug and move over completely when I get used to it. Btw the meme is true. Arch Linux holds your hand compared to a real man's os.

Attached: 1525622815351.jpg (730x728, 80K)

>Nobody actually uses BSD as a desktop OS.
Other than the people who do.

>Other than the 3 people who do.*

Whoa you sure got me with that exaggeration, openbsd btfo

What's a good cheap SSD to install a BSD on? :)

he's implying OpenBSD doesn't support TRIM

Attached: i-love-this-gay-frog.jpg (634x485, 44K)

when openbsd becomes professional os and switch to systemd?

inb4 ree

No, I seriously want to run BSD on my main system. It doesn't have to be OpenBSD

>leech
Fuck off buddy if communism and sharing is not good enought stick with propieraty software where you actually can sue somebody if they modify your software

FreeBSD is the best choice for a workstation or laptop (be warned though, hardware support is not 100% for things like 802.11ac chipsets)

sure thing buddy if you like fuck with pulseaudio + not being to autologin in X but hey it sure is helluwa choice for laptop if hardware is supported

Why are tutorials Jewish?

pulseaudio has never gotten in my way...

>autologin in X
yuck, i prefer to call startx myself. if you want to be stuck in gui mode all the time then might as well use macOS

Attached: hex.png (1600x673, 437K)

>yuck, i prefer to call startx myself. if you want to be stuck in gui mode all the time then might as well use macOS
xenodm has autologin I prefer that. What comes to fucking with pulseaudio to get sound working I would say kud§os for you but for me it has always been a pain. BTW where do I read documentations bout that anyways

Bumping for this

is it me or is openbsd missing the mono package? it was in 6.2, i believe.

>give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime
Learn to read documentation. The openbsd uses man but there are other forms of documentation.
>Inb4 tutorials teach me stuff
They teach you how to be a pajeet and not think for yourself.

I thought arch users were proud of really "learning" under the hood? I recall setting up my first X11 on Debian back in the 90s. I can easily retrace how I learned how these things worked:

man X

See ref to startx

man startx see ref to:

$(HOME)/.xinitrc Client to run. Typically a shell script which
runs many programs in the background.

$(HOME)/.xserverrc Server to run. The default is X.

/etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc Client to run if the user has no .xinitrc
file.

From there:

more /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc, see it's a script. vi .xinitrc, olvwm. Startx works.

Easy, use your head.