/hpg/ - Headphone General

How to request purchase advice: pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out the infographic in Jow Forums wiki headphone FAQ: wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Attached: bikini headphones nuqura see_through swimsuits.jpg (1991x2486, 3.08M)

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/cardas-premium-clear-light-headphone-cables/
amazon.co.uk/Sony-WH-1000XM2-Cancelling-Resolution-Recognition-Black/dp/B074ZRG5MN/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1533996134&sr=8-7&keywords=sony bluetooth headphones
rtings.com/images/graphs/headphones/sony/wh-1000xm2/frequency-response-graph.png
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

EQ is for soundcloudkiddies

fuck sennheiser

Not using EQ means you don't know what high fidelity is. Period.

Attached: 1503968058772.jpg (1522x862, 111K)

Seeing how objectively no headphone fits precisely any target curve and taking into accound the subjective fact that people might simply preffer something specific, your disqualification of EQ use is non-sense.
The only reason not to use EQ is liking the headphone's sound as it is, which is basically skipping the EQ setup and going for an EQ preset anyway.

You just listen to music where fucking the EQ doesn't matter

>You just listen to music where fucking the EQ doesn't matter
Source?

Is EQ user the new shit post meta? Not sure how I feel about it.

Either a shitposter or someone so angry that is barely making sense.

It has become just me shitposting at this point but these faggots are now acting like messing with EQ can't totally fuck over the intent of the artist.
>Let me see if i get this straight... You are mad that people use EQ because they are changing how THE HEADPHONES are supposed to sound?
Let me get this straight, you're mad that producers use EQ because they're changing the way the music is supposed to sound?

It can't, because the 'EQ' applied by the stock FR of your headphones irreparably fucks it over in the first place. So it's up to you to use EQ to unfuck it. If you can't understand this you might unironically be developmentally challenged.

fug I have a channel imbalance on my new headphones

As an artist, I don't care if people use eq on my music if that's how they best enjoy it.
Besides, eqing to compensate for a problem in the headphone is insulting to the headphone, not the musicians or the engineer. And unless the band self produces, the final product may not be a reflection of their actual intent.

unless you're using some type of parametric EQ I don't know how you're going to flatten the entire curve with any accuracy

No shit I'm using parametric EQ, as is anyone who values fidelity.

From the other thread
>You can use EQ my only point is to not sling it around willynilly for headphone compensation because of generalized audiophile speculation opposed to familiarity across hardware and mediums with an artist.

Yea, I'd say anyone who cares enough to post here is using a parametric.

>fuck over the intent of the artist
The intent is to sound as good as possible from any source. Different headphones have different FR, EQing the same headphones will also produce different FR.
Someone wanting +3dB at 100Hz because they like bass or lowering 5dB at a treble spike is not destroying the music. The artist himself probably didn't listened to his track from a flat source anyway.

Well duh, what EQ do you think people here use?

What is the thinkpad of closed headphones?

I don't know. maybe they're using the itunes eq or some shit

MDR V6. Not that it's the best choice today.

her breasts look too large

What headphones? Got any pics?
I have seen more than one person complaining about that on headphones only to find out that they actually had build-up wax on one ear from using cotton swabs. But then again, i'm not saying that's the case, you just reminded me of it.

they're overears so that's highly unlikely, but thank you for your concern

incidentally the channel imbalance has just "switched sides." perhaps something is wrong with the 3.5mm connector or cable. it could also be psychosomatic, but I asked two other people and asked them if the balance was right. they reached the same conclusion but the first source was louder on the right and vice versa

>$1799
The absolute state of chinkfiman. Or rather chinkkikeman.

Attached: HZWT3Fp.jpg (707x960, 56K)

Lol, you reminded me of this speaker system i once saw for sale, it was loud as fuck and had more bass than anything, bloated as hell, everything else drowning on it, then i saw that it had a blinking button called "BASS BAZUKA", my thought was "uh, that explains the awful sound i guess". The seller saw me watching and offered a demonstration, appearantly the "BASS BAZUKA" button was off, damn...

Looking to get a pretty solid pair of headphones for my bigass ears, i was thinking about wireless but gotta admit the only pair i tried were unimpressive, please help.

>Budget
£500 tops

>Location
Denmark, can order from amazon uk and germany

>Source
Pc and android phone

>Type of headphone
Over-ear wireless

>Open or closed
no preference

>Comfort level
Comfort is absolute key

>Past headphones
Siberia 2, hypercloud 2, logitech artemis spectrum g933

>Amp power cord takes a shit
>Only works when it's bent at 90 degrees near the amp side plug
>In a fit of rage pull all my cords and cables out
>Finally position it so it works until replacement arrives
>Cables tangled everywhere so I can barely move my mouse, but scared to rerun cables because amp will stop
Fuming bros
/blog

Attached: 1532521362628.jpg (760x901, 294K)

massdrop.com/buy/cardas-premium-clear-light-headphone-cables/
>54 minutes left
Don't miss out

Attached: 1395772912612.gif (400x250, 228K)

I got in on a HD800 cable. Even with shipping and import taxes, it's still one of the cheapest options for EU folks. Even cheaper than Senns own cables.
And yes, an aftermarket cable is worth the money. Expecting sound quality improvements is of course naive, but replacing a heavy 3m cord with a light 1m chord does wonders for comfort and practicality at a desk setup.

I'm getting a 1.5m cable. 1m seems too short to me, can't even lean back in your chair at a desk like that.

What cans and IEMs are comparable to my old Sennheiser PXC-450s?

I've been needing to use them without noise cancellation because the kind of throbbing noise here causes it to put too much fatigue on my ears. They also don't seal well because I need to use washable covers to prevent the pads getting too sweaty, cheesy, causing acne, and disintegrating, and the inner screen doesn't seem to be replaceable, only the rims.

Attached: 81r2u2oswdl._aa1500_.jpg (1000x762, 58K)

>too large
?

Idol trash here. What's your setup like, user?

Attached: 1506262297467.png (860x600, 686K)

I wanna lick her feet.

yikes

Hello there. What's your setup like, yikes-user?

dacs are basically a meme shit device, right? Do they ever even matter for the cost

dacs can measure differently, but you cant hear the differences

ill skip out on one then and just get an amp then, thanks for the confirmation user.

I got m40x
Do I get meme thick pads? Does it really help?

yes change the pads for better comfort

stock pads are garbage

probably a rebranded he500

hey there. any ath m60x owners here?

So what is Jow Forums's take on the foam mod? I'm considering it, I've had these for almost 2 years now and I love them, but I've always been curious to try the mod.

Attached: 558.jpg (595x402, 96K)

Don't know why I got my hopes up. Think I'm just going to get a used he-6

Attached: 1523325571005r9k.png (800x850, 135K)

does audeze still sell vegan pads?

no, dekoni velour is the next best thing

Attached: 1496937267254.png (446x399, 9K)

New cable. What do you think?

Attached: oidiocable.jpg (1280x1280, 277K)

looks like something a 10 year old girl would make in the late 90ies

Pretty awful
Let me guess you listen to SKA

Based fucking user.

Upgrade incoming Idol. Topping D10 and some new spinfits.

damn user, if you just choose a different color scheme.

Other than that it's pretty cool.

lmao

make sure they are gluten free too

its for sound and comfort

not health or virtuous reasons

I bought spinfits at one point and I've never found a pair of earphones that benefited from them, they seal worse than the average cheapo tips that comes with chifi garbage.

My best seal was with the spinfits, however, these are too small for me so I ordered larger ones.

>update
wow, these regular ones fit quite nicely now
maybe my ears had to get used to shoving ear dildos into my ears.

>Budget
$250-$300 CAND
>Location
Canada
>Source
Phone and Computer
>Type of headphone
Full sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
I'd like for the headphones to be comfortable, Id prioritize comfort slightly over sound quality
>Sound signature
Don't really know too much about this stuff
>Past headphones
Some shitty skull candies, and astros

If possible I'd also like the headphones to be noise canceling as i'd be using them to while I study at school

I'm not convinced that amps aren't also a "meme shit device."

depends on the headphone's sensitivity
my k612 for example are an absolute bitch to drive and about 10-15dB less sensitive than everything else I have so I can't really get any volume straight out of a phone or laptop with them, some devices you can really hear clipping maxed out and it's still not really loud
you absolutely want an amp for these

Attached: 20180806_173247.jpg (3264x1836, 1.21M)

>they're overears so that's highly unlikely
if your ears are plugged with different amount of waxes, all sound will be different between ears

You only need an amp to drive shit that you can't drive without one.

Okay that's fair.

>Budget
~200-300€ (can do more, not a hard limit)
>Location
France
>Source
Mostly form my computer, I have no DAC. Sometimes from my phone
>Type of headphone
full sized (over or on-ear)
>Open or closed
Would prefer closed, but i'm considering open might be a good idea if I used 2 different headphones for 2 different use cases.
>Comfort level
Comfy, I were them all day long sometimes, but I find my M50x comfy so it's not too difficult I guess
>Sound signature
I prefer flat/neutral, but not totally either (it's to listen to a lot of different things, not to do studio monitoring)
>Past headphones
ATH M50x, great but I would like to step up my game.

Thanks for the help Jow Forumsuys, posted this in last thread but got no responses.

THIS IS NOT A MEME

Buy Topping D50

It measured so well it blew my bf’s leggings off!

Attached: 5EA4EECE-B438-475A-8699-CA225C651B3B.jpg (192x192, 15K)

>can't hear
>except when you can
Try Oxygene V around the 3 minute mark. Makes dacs melt.

Attached: oxy.jpg (500x448, 34K)

didn't melt

I love how no one actually helps anyone to buy headphones in this general.

dt770

hd600

The answer is always the same. Your budget is too low so you'll get stuck in low/mid-fi hell. Save your autismo buxx and then buy HD800.

Attached: gods pick.jpg (500x332, 99K)

didnt melt

>$1100 on one pair of open headphones
Most people wouldn't be able to notice the quality difference between 500 and 1100, and also need closed headhpones or IEMs.

there's no headphone that sounds like the hd800, so of course anybody will notice a difference, no matter what budget

The HD800 is the only sane flagship pick.
- ~9 years old so used prices are low-ish
- Is favorably compared to headphones ~4 times its price
- Very comfortable
- Easy to power
- Easily EQ'able if you don't like the stock soundsig

No one pays $1100 for a HD800. I paid $930 for mine and that's considered expensive.

>Budget
£200
>Location
UK
>Source
Bluetooth usb
>Type of headphone
Full size
>Open or closed
Closed over ear
>Comfort level
They have to be comfortable and not hurt my ears. I want wireless because of its convienance.
>Sound signature
>Past headphones
Sony MDR-XB950B1.

Are pic related good for videogaming, video watching and listening to music?

Attached: 61Gaxc6rTJL._SL1200_.jpg (1200x1200, 83K)

I bought topping D10 amir LARPer

You bought them used?

i wasnt the one who posted that request.

How does it being vegan make it better

screaming of the dead animal souls doesn't overpower the music

They do sound better, but only if they weren't getting enough power before.

Yeah. I buy all my gear used. People who buy high-end headphones tend to treat their shit real good, so it's usually flawless.

Always do a wipe-down of the pads and headband, though.

*convenience

Sacre blue mon ami.

Please give the name of pic related french cuck. We can't see what headphone that is.

amazon.co.uk/Sony-WH-1000XM2-Cancelling-Resolution-Recognition-Black/dp/B074ZRG5MN/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1533996134&sr=8-7&keywords=sony bluetooth headphones

the stock leather pads on lcd are hard and uncomfortable

the vegan pads are soft and melt onto your head

Never ran into any problems? Really it seems like if I'm going to pay $900 then I may was well make a leap for 300 or so more dollars if it can be had brand new.

rtings.com/images/graphs/headphones/sony/wh-1000xm2/frequency-response-graph.png

Ugh, well, I don't like that bump near 2K-2.5K
and it should have a bit more bass for video gaming and movie watching imo.

wait you talking YT video or movies?

What do you think about the quality of the Asus Xonar Essence STX ? I'm using it to drive my 250ohm DT770 Pros.

I've been happy with mine for years, but started wondering if it actually pleases audiophiles?

>I've been happy with mine for years, but started wondering if it actually pleases audiophiles?
Why would you care if it pleases some random ass people on the internet? But does it please (you)?

>Fiio E10k
>Magni 3 and d10
>The element

These are the only sensible AMP+dac combinations.

Should say that the magni 3 can be swapped with the the o2 + d10 or smsl m6 if you don't mind less power but want less heat and more QC

They aren't due to output impedance, which fucks up the frequency response. This is also why the O2 amp is often used at 1x (no amplification). Power isn't the only factor.

Daily reminder dacs are an insignificant part of your source chain and autistically griping over slight differences in measurements like linearity and noise floor mean nothing at the end, and what is far more important is the quality of your music, more specifically, the mastering of your song. Hires audio is a MEME, no one here will actually notice or appreciate the difference in sound of a hires 512DSD upsampled copy of Brothers in Arms vs a 16/44 cd rip of the original release. You are delusional if you think you could hear a difference. Spend your shekels where it makes sense, if you have a $5k pair of headphones, sure, you will want to get upstream components that make sense to pair with such a pair of headphones, but in the end what I said applies and it doesn't really matter which dac you use. You're better off spending your heard earned dollars on better tranducers or a better amp.

Attached: hiresmemes.jpg (2048x1536, 790K)

tldr: dacs are snakeoil

Are there any level-matched ABX tests on that? Tom's Hardware has a blind AB test which suggests no difference between O2 + ODAC and a Realtek ALC889 (with a 77 ohm output impedace).