When will companies start to realize that college degrees are a meme?

When will companies start to realize that college degrees are a meme?

Attached: 1438039844354.png (610x625, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human–computer_interaction
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

what did you think the interview questions were for?

you really think that learning the core concepts of computer science and computation is a meme? Most universities have a shit syllabus, though.

Hot take: you don't need to attend a college to learn many core concepts

>tfw I install furnaces and heat pumps and make $44/hr plus full medical and spiffs.
>tfw I clear $90k on a bad year
>tfw i dropped out of high school sophomore year

I make 90k a year just from sitting on my ass and collecting dividends.

yes you must go. It's almost impossible to learn high level math without a guide/teacher/professor.

There is a limit of what you can learn by yourself, unless you are a genius and then you are wasting your time not getting into a university to skyrocket your potential.

He said core concepts, not "high level math". Although arguably, with personal dedication and the vast array of information provided to you on the internet, there is very little you cannot learn. You just have to put your mind to it.

>It's almost impossible to learn high level math without a guide/teacher/professor
not true. I learned calculus without a teacher.

>learn high level math
Core concepts != high level math. Jobs for working on computer hardware use very little math, if not none at all.

Degrees are very useful as performance indicators. They show you are willing to commit to something for at least two years and are able to balance simultaneous tasks. General education shows you are willing to do something stupid "because I said so". High marks show you are willing to put in effort solely to protect an image. Sure you don't necessarily learn anything about your field but the degree still indicates you would make a good wageslave.

>calculus
>high level

Attached: download.jpg (251x201, 8K)

post proof fgt

I have a bro that got a degree in Environmental Science from Berkeley. He's all depressed because he can't get any nice jobs. He's working for his mother.

>implying high level math isnt a core concept of comp sci

This is a pretty good way of putting it, user.

guys, can I be a Lisp hacker without a degree?

Yea man, just learn Javascript. It's functional.

College also indicates some level of social awareness and it helps develop soft skills you can’t get from being a neet living in your parents basement.

Most companies demand a minimum of a 4-year degree but they don't give a shit what it's in. They honestly don't care that it's not in CompSci as long as you have the right certs or experience.

There's literally IT guys here who have degrees English and History. Companies do it because it makes them seem more prestigious to shareholders and so HR doesn't look bad for hiring under-educated goobers over people with fancy pants degrees.

I never went to collage for computer related degree, still do know all of this.
CE is a meme for sure.

lol why would i even need to know high level math for most of the CS jobs

Where I live majority of adequate companies don't give a fuck whether you have a degree of not. That's because everybody knows that education is mostly shit here.

you won't be first against the wall when the revolution comes, but you'll be on the list.

Attached: Charlie.jpg (1280x1500, 980K)

>don't feed trolls
DON'T FEED TROLLS

We have a bunch of non CS hires at my company, the legacy code sucks absolute ass. They have no understanding of their actions, they write shit code every chance they get and do not have the ability (or even care) to learn new technologies.

Two college drop outs, and one biology mayor in my team.

Most don't even know what HCI means. Everything is a fucking mess.

Hydrochloric acid?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human–computer_interaction

whey all know that

Just use "user friendliness" next time, turbo nerd.

>tfw I want to learn for the sake of it and don't care about a degree
>I'd still have to pay the toll
I've heard of people being able to sit in on classes as non-students, but I haven't seen much proof of this being a real thing. I know that Steve Jobs supposedly did it after dropping out. My nearby community college has a period during the start of the year where you can sit in on a class, but it's not only limited to the start of the semester, it also costs money. Where's my libre & gratis Jow Forums school?

>Where's my libre & gratis Jow Forums school?
libgen.io

I never learned how to study properly, so I can't really take advantage of books that well. I do occasionally get stuff from there, but it mostly sits around or gets a few hours of use once.

This shitty "college is useless" meme needs to die. In almost any situation, having a college degree would be more advantageous than not.
Of course if you pick some retarded major or don't study anything in college you'll feel like you got nothing out of it. If you're smart about what you do though the degree will be very beneficial.

Why?

Why to what?

At my university there were no access restrictions between the outside world and any of the lecture halls. They did once eject a homeless man because he smelled terrible, so be wary of that pitfall if you attempt this.

I guess it was a mix of "why does the meme need to die?" and "why do you feel that way?"
I both believe that a college diploma isn't all that important these days, and that it's only going to get less important (unless there's major education reform, which would then change the value of diplomas again)

>a college diploma isn't all that important these days
only in certain fields. In fact, I think that the only white collar industry you can do well in without a degree is tech. Even then, if it comes down to you and another equally skilled candidate with a degree, I think the hiring manager would always go with the person with the degree.

>it's only going to get less important
I disagree entirely with this. I do think the perceived value has been decreasing, but in actuality a degree is still worthwhile. Not to get too political, but one of the issues many Americans believe in is that immigrants are "taking our jobs". Of course this applies to unskilled labor being flooded with immigrants, but even in skilled fields immigrants are much more focused on education than Americans, and so they excel because of that.
I truly believe the value of a degree is relative to how much thought/effort you put into it. If I pick an easy major like history, then of course I will end up either jobless or with a low paying job, and take out my problems on the college system. Meanwhile, there are several industries where it's pretty much impossible to get hired without a degree, like finance, engineering, teaching, etc.

It's hard for me to take degrees seriously when they don't actually guarantee you do or do not know something. You could have knowledge on par with someone who had already graduated in your major, and go to college just to get the diploma and make it official. You could also graduate without learning much. The piece of paper and the knowledge feel too disconnected.

Nigger please. The most complicated thing that comes of all of computer science and all this theory is ultimately the art of computer programming (what 99% of you will end up doing). To become skilled at your craft (the thing you want to school for in the first place), takes lots of experimentation and failure, as well as self-teaching and discipline. Absolutely no teacher is required for this longest phase of the process. I WILL argue that you can certainly help a student understand an abstract concept or a specific technical item with the presence of a teacher, but it is absolutely not required for the process to occur. It may just take the student a little longer to figure it out on their own. Once the student bootstraps and knows things like "oh ok I can kinda trust stack overflow/exchange, wikipedia is wtf, hackernews is a lefty shithole, vanillajs sounds nice, Jow Forums is cool guys i guess" you are halfway to the finish line.

>calculus
>high level

lol

ITT: people who didn't go to college/university talking about why they think college/university is useless

Attached: 1475637782136.jpg (500x329, 61K)

When Bryan Caplan's book replaces the conventional wisdom. Should be a while; corporations move slow in internet time.

>Of course if you pick some retarded major or don't study anything in college you'll feel like you got nothing out of it.
s/nothing/negative/ because financial and oppotunity costs.

My CS degree is worthless. But it doesn't matter because I've enough experience and do well in interviews.

like the other user said you can literally just walk in. depending on the situation you might even be able to ask questions in class and talk to the professor and not have them realize you're not in the class.

The problem with most jobs is that they can easily be taught with short-term training yet businesses think they should demand university degrees for some reason. There’s no reason someone should do three or four years of tertiary education to be an accountant, for example.

HCI is its own interdisciplinary area of study.

>he thinks going to college is a meme and encouraging people to go is trolling

man, is this the society we created? is this real life?

>what is design?

lol, so you are one of those faggots that keep coding rubbish until something works and then whines when everything falls when it gets into production. No design, no plan just YOLO programming.

Marx also sat on his ass and collected gibsmedats while living with his roommate, dumb commie

Damn that's a shame, I graduated from Berkeley with a Philosophy degree, got a job out of college right away cause Linux autism. Thanks Jow Forums

This is education.

They already have.
I got my current job due to my github profile + linkedin.
Great job as well

Yep, every fucking time.

Post your github.

They already do. Most of my interviews center on the stuff I've done outside of class, not what I learned in class. The most my classes have come in handy was for answering the meme tier algorithms questions they seem to love asking. My biggest mistake in college was realizing this two years into my degree.

t. two years into their degree and just finished taking gen eds

You only feel this way because you got a worthless meme CS degree.

Is a pretty decent GitHub profile + college degree (2/4 year) enough to get a job?

Yes, if you know how to network and how to interview.

I don't hire unless you have a degree or some substantial proof you're not a brainlet. The only people who post these anti-college posts literally fit into brainlet category.

Attached: congrats_retard.jpg (489x400, 106K)

considering less than 1% of the population can grasp calculus it kind of is high level. Not that its difficult by any means if you have a IQ above 100

I don't want to live in a world dominated by cardboard diplomas, mostly obtainable by those who are able to be full time students as someone else's paying for them to study.

I'm pretty sure less than 1% knows. But if you're gonna compare, compare with the people in your field. I can say less than 1% of the population knows how to transpose a matrix but that means jack shit.

Ok kid. I’m sitting here making more than you will probably make in your life, and I didn’t even go to college.

Sure, ok

>went to college
>find it useless
wow that was hard

let the idiots get their cardboard diplomas. There are a lot of dedicated and/or talented people that MUST get into STEM to make the world a better place. Just because some stupid people make bad decisions that doesn't mean everyone who enters college is stupid.

I hope I didn't hit too close home, user.

>tfw didn't learn anything doing my CS degree

I am stuck in a shitty admin job, but the work is so easy that I have time to go back to actually learn things. At least tech is so big in Texas that it shouldn't be too hard to fake my way to $60-70k job.

Well considering how much URMs without the ability get into elite universities and have a leg up in universities in general, college's worth as an indicator of general intelligence (which is one of the best work performance predictors) has been lessened.

College is kinda joke anymore. Pretty much everyone and there mom has a college degree in something even if it's just "general studies" these days. So there's nothing there to tell HR types really anything about you other than the fact that you went and your neck deep in college debit loans. Now back in the 80's/90's things were different, less college degrees, so you had a leg up over the average joe (also hell of a lot cheaper then to). Even just certs is kinda the same way anymore. Just getting an A+/Network+ is not enough anymore to land a basic entry level job (depending on location). Even though it should be cause the job is hello, basic level, and not a high up System admin job which yeah you do need more than certs alone to get.

Says the guy who can't spell college

College degrees are just IQ tests. If wasn't for feminism and immigration most employers would just give you an IQ test and train you on the job after testing whether you have an adequate IQ.

Most schooling should just be 6 month to 2 year diplomas at most. Only 6 to 8% of the population should even be at a university.

This.

If you have the IQ, the resources (text books and online resources which are all accessible for free) and dedication you can.

>calculus
>high level

Calculus is a stepping stone to high level math

Bullshit. College degrees carry weight if they're from a good school (top 10 in the field of study) and you have great marks. Lol just because low iq fucks are being scammed by shitty schools to study a watered down syllabus for some bs major doesn't mean college is crap

>Only 6 to 8% of the population should even be at a university.

actually, I agree with this. I am a brainlet and I learn to program as a hobby, but I lack the intelligence and abilities to make high performance software for critical systems.

Sometimes, you have to accept your inner qualities and adapt to the opportunities you have at hand. Maybe a trade, maybe something else. But like you said, not everyone should be in college. Specially if you want free (not paying a dime) college.

Yeah guys like you (which is most of the population) would benefit from technical schools where you might get a 6 month long certificate in computing or say a 1 to 2 year diploma in computing.

Some of my friends who went to university for IT have these bs watered down courses (that run for 3 years) where they fill their units and electives with irrelevant stuff just to make money off them.

do you really believe that you are going to make Donald Knuth level of wizardry only with books and discipline? it's like saying you can become a Navy Seal with shooting practice and SCUBA diving training.

It doesn't happen, I don't discourage you to learn programming. There is a lot of talented people without degrees but you will get to a wall you could not pass. Of course, if you like to get there and you are comfortable you can stay and keep doing it, but you will plateau fast without the aid of people dedicated to the discipline AND to teaching. Where do you find this people? in universities, teaching the next generations about their mistakes, experiences and discoveries. Of course you will find them only non-shit universities.

yeah, the problem is that people think the IT field is only programming and tech support. They don't know about a lot of disciplines and areas like sysadmin, networking, database administration, damn, even being a cable guy is technically IT if you work with modern systems like EMNTAS and fiber. Signals, robotics, IT is huge but people focus only in those two.

You don't go to college to learn a trade, you go to college to be surrounded by hot girls and meet other guys your age.

Attached: 1533141120234.jpg (496x600, 44K)

I am the guy who made this post I agree with what you are saying up to a point. I'll speak on computer science since that's what I graduated with and I am currently working as a software developer. The only relevant subject for me was algorithms and data structures the rest were loosely related and I did benefit from them but nothing I couldn't have learned over the duration of my career.

Just face it the reason there is such demand for degrees is because feminism and immigration has increased the size of the labor force and lowered wages. Now to stay competitive people are forced into colleges which are now a trillion dollar industry in the US.

I know a good number of people working in various fields like nursing, accounting, finance and engineering, and they all tell me that only about 10-15% of what they learned applied to their job. Most of it could have been learned on the job.

Hot take: college forces you to learn stuff. As a hobbyist or employee you can always make excuses or take shortcuts.

This desu. And an instructor can smooth out hurdles in understanding a concept.

how'd you get into it? is it hard work?

>they learned applied to their job
this worries me, because if most job can be trained by the same company that hires you, what's the point of having universities? Medicine and hard sciences are necessary to learn a huge theorical background just like engineering. But some other jobs are not clear if you can teach the skills need it for that specific job.

Hell, even finishing med school doesn't guarantee that you will be a doctor, you only learned the theory, you need the hard life of applying that entry level knowledge into a real life scenario.

actually, you go to place like Harvard business school to know, partying and hanging out with the future CEOs, politicians and presidents so you become part of the elite. If you don't socialize in HBS, you just wasted your time and money.

> this worries me, because if most job can be trained by the same company that hires you, what's the point of having universities?
I am the guy you replied to.

My response to this question would be that universities are places of research and higher learning. By higher I don't necessarily mean learning a particular trade or skill (like accountancy or networking). As one guy who replied me to said that without universities you couldn't reach the likes of Donald Knuth. Now I don't know the guys complete academic track record and his contributions to computer science but I do know that he is influential and did write the acclaimed Art of Computer Programming series. However much of his stuff wouldn't be directly applicable to the real world. Eventually we'll find a use for it. So universities work for cultivating research like that and that's the purpose they serve. However as I said most universities should be shut down or replaced with technical schools.

The reason for the glut of universities is due to a wide range of reasons but particularly because it's a lucrative industry.

>I said most universities should be shut down or replaced with technical schools.

I want to imagine a world like this. That universities are minimal but open to people with the qualifications and intelligence to take every STEM field to a higher plane. Meanwhile, the local population get into techschools/tradeschools to fucking learn how to use the tools those people created.

Could it solve the problem of "diploma making machines" we have right now? Maybe, but college loans is too good for most universities and governments to let it go. Ironically, implementing massive tradeschools/techschools instead of college enrollment will give bigger profits to the government. You will have people ready to work and ready to be independent tax payer citizens without being a burden for society AND some of them could even get higher education if they show some kind of talent while working.

What IS high level math? I took calculus and got a D because the professor didn't allow calculators, made tests stupidly hard with obscure shit (hurr how to calculate the volume of a shell with calculus), and mostly because I didn't do jack shit. Is higher level math free fron all this stupid shit? And what is it?
Laugh all you want but answer niggers

I just wrapped up my BS in . I'm finishing it after 10 years (got my associates in like 2011 and landed a full time job). I started raking int he big bucks and thought "hey, why not go back and finish and get my BS?". So, that's what I did.

With that being said, everything I learned from the public college/university system I would have never learned on my own. When I first started school (back in 2008) I had no interest in anything except tech. Going to school got me interested in more than just technology (science, and specifically Biology and Astronomy). The liberal arts I also found interesting (Western civilzation, Mythology, etc).

Granted, those classes (hard sciences and liberal arts) are practically useless in the tech sector. I use my tech skills and math (statistics a lot). But, my other accumulated knowledge from those classes really just "well rounded" me; there is nothing wrong with that.

So, there is a reason why when I'm interviewing people I google them. I care about what school they went to. If you went to some shit school like ITT tech I know you aren't well rounded; I know you can't think outside of the box. I know, you wanted to be lazy. Do you have certs? Cool, that doesn't tell me much.

As I indicated previously. I'll hire you if you arent a brainlet; its hart to prove this if you havent went to school or havent created something amazing. Whining about "pajeets" only tells me that you've given up.

The universities seriously need to die. They have far outlived their original purpose. Nowadays they are just one more vertex in the Triangle of Shit. They seriously need to fucking suffer and die.

> college drop out

>hey solve these 20 questions based on algorithms, math and big O, recursion and functional programming

>nice you did it..now please spend the next 5 years changing colors of buttons and performing incredibly basic tasks, thanks.

Well, yeah, I haven't gone. I think about it every now and then, but I literally just want the knowledge and not the degree, so it feels like a huge waste to me.

> cant get the knowledge without taking the classes
> so doesnt go
lel?