/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: If you're looking for purchase advice, state your budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).
Don't buy anything OTHER THAN IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad T, X, and W/P Series if you want the Real Business Experience™

>Other business laptops are welcome in /tpg/ (Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

Libreboot-compatible models:
>T60 (check lcd), X60(s/t); X200(s/t. -s requires soldering), T400(s)/500; W500.

Modern models:
>X220/X230 - 12", 768p, cheap and light
>T420/T430 - 14", 900p, widely available, socketed CPU, both Coreboot-compatible (Ivy Bridge CPU support on T420); Quad Core Compatible, Old keyboard swap on *30 series
>T520/530; W520/530 - 15", 1080p, DTR, 32GB RAM on quadcore models, USB 3.0
>T440p/540p; W540/1 - Last Thinkpads with socketed processors, easily replaceable trackpad (W541 doesn't need trackpad replacement)
>P-Series - 15'' + 17'', 4K display, up to 64GB of RAM, Xeon CPU option. Expensive.

Upgraded models:
>X210 - X200/X201, i5 8250u quadcore
>X62 - X61, i5 5250u
>T70 - T60, i7 7700 hq
IPS displays, USB 3.0, m.2 x4, mini dp, no
forum.51nb.com/forum.php?mod=forumdisplay&fid=117

Why ThinkPad?
>Used machines are plentiful and cheap
>Excellent keyboards - tactile feel and quiet
>Great durability: magnesium rollcage for structural integrity, with high quality plastic body panels
>Utilitarian design: e.g. indicator LEDs, 7 row keyboard layout on older models
>Docking stations that easily turns your laptop into a desktop
>Easy to repair (most models), upgrade & maintain thanks to readily available service manuals for every model, spare parts easy & cheap to obtain
>The best TrackPoint™, great for those who type a lot or hate swiping their fingers all over a touchpad
>Excellent GNU/Linux & *BSD support

>ThinkWiki - Info on ThinkPads & running GNU/Linux on them:
thinkwiki.org/wiki/ThinkWiki
>BIOS logo booru:
biosimage.booru.org

Attached: ThinkPad_X200_Libreboot.jpg (940x1000, 249K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=LDmCmmvIA8A
youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Libreboot X200!!! I have two of those bad boys as my daily driver

I ordered a T420 where it just said "i5 2.5ghz" didn't say which one specifically.
Would I be getting ripped off if it ended up 2450M vs 2520M? It was the best value T420 I could find considering the RAM and the SSD, just wondering.

the perfect keyboard

Attached: 1533949196135.jpg (4032x3024, 1.09M)

Didn't you post this last thread?
Don't turn into those fags who post the same shit in /bst/ everyday for a year.

pretty much all the cpus are exactly the same, its just binning which only makes a significant difference in overclocking (which you can't since it's a laptop)
the biggest thing to look out for is whether it's a dual core or a quadcore and i3 tend to be slightly weaker

also the cpus are really cheap on ebay

eww, no
pic related is

Attached: 20150213_152410.jpg (3264x1836, 1.7M)

>backlit
no

nah m8

>legends on the sides of keys
>blue enter
>3 colors

Attached: New-Laptop-keyboard-for-Lenovo-ThinkPad-T410-T410i-T410s-T410si-T420-T420i-T420s-SERIES-QWERTY-JAPAN (623x345, 299K)

hey guys, need some help

which one would you prefer
they have same price of 300euros
need a small one for university

Attached: lenoo.png (578x305, 19K)

Why do Thinkpad cultists love eating shit so much?

Clearly the best

Attached: effed.png (1000x756, 1.23M)

Picked up a dell precision 7510 two years ago. Very very happy with how smoothly linux installed and user servicability is solid, got about 11 hours with an i7 and M1000M when the battery was new.

Keyboards fucking dogshit though, the keys break for basically no reason and if you're too aggressive on a keypress the scissor mechanisms squish down. Ive replaced it twice so far.

thoughts?
come with a 1920x1080 IPS display...

Attached: file.png (1161x480, 322K)

That would be a 2520M. All CPUs T420 came with were dual cores with slight differeces to clock speeds, i7s had more cache in them. It doesn't matter that much, i5 should suffice and you can upgrade it down the line when you need to, even to a quadcore ivy bridge if you feel like changing the BIOS.

( here) I was actually interested in this one because of the Ryzen 5 but it turns out that it suffers from inadequate cooling and thermal throttling, just like the Ryzen-based IdeaPads. Lenovo needs better engineers.

Good taste

Attached: programming_socks_thinkpad1.jpg (1709x1139, 741K)

I've heard the L series is better than the E but idk

youtube.com/watch?v=LDmCmmvIA8A

This one is better.

Attached: 1534089952862.jpg (1920x1080, 776K)

I want a Momiji figure so fucking bad. I can't justify the cost as a certified poor. Congratulations.

should have bought t440p, this t420 overheats when I watch a film
changed thermal paste 8 times

w-wha? how do you get an original backlit keyboard?

Reposting from previous thread
Does tp_smapi not work with chink batteries or something?
I'm trying to set charge thresholds on my x200s with a chink 9-cell and pic related happens when I try to load the kernel module.
I know for a fact that the X200s is supported, so what's going on? Is it the battery?
And yeah, this is the dkms package from the debian repo and I made sure to reinstall it in case it's a kernel problem.

My X200T is also running debian sid with the same kernel and it works there, including setting charge thresholds, but that has an official lelnovo battery.

Attached: 2018-08-11-1534035234_650x394.png (650x394, 8K)

>Those socks
Couldn't be bothered to shave?

T25

imagine being this wrong

Attached: uguu.jpg (1000x750, 110K)

Anyone bought anything from 51nb?

Imagine using a shitty spacebar like that just to impress your anonymous weeb "friends" on plebbit

I can get a used X120E for around $85, and I'm wondering if this is worth it. My main concern is the battery life of the laptop, as I will not be using it for anything other than school because I have a different computer at home. Should I go for it? or pay double for a used X220?

>shitty spacebar
>needing a 6.25 wide spacebar to slam in fits of autistic rage
it's as big as it needs to be and as a bonus you get a shift button for your thumb

why are they so fashionable?

Attached: 1532467090854.jpg (2560x1920, 834K)

Where's the best place to buy batteries?

I wonder if there is a way I can get backlit on the 7 row keyboard...

I'm thinking of getting one for my x210, but will the layout mess up my muscle memory?

the only issue I've had is that backspace is a little more awkward, but you can rebind the key next to the backspace as another backspace if it's that much of an issue
as far as spacebar goes just look at the wear pattern on your current space bar, if you get the wear under the v or n keys you won't have an issue and this should be the case if you type using the home row anyway

She looks like my sister.

That's a boy, user

Dick don't care.

T25. Found the keyboard on taobao a few months ago.

So I want to buy a thinkpad and there are plenty of options.
>state your budget
Under 200euro (I'm in western europe)
>requirements (e.g. size and performance).
I'll use it for uni, mostly to note stuff, occasionally watch some movies and anime. I might use it for very light gaming on older games. I don't mind some weight, a larger screen would be nice.

T4xx depending on how much they cost in your country.
For bigger screen: T5xx

Thanks!
Both t440 and t430 are in the green. Which one is better in your opinion?

What would be the best ThinkPad to buy right now? Think more like midrange price for work (programming) and not for gaming.

who is this?

lol is that a guy?

T430 for the following reasons:

T440 has weak ULV processors
T440 has that wonky clickpad which needs to be replaced with a proper one from the T450
T430 has dedicated volume and mute buttons
Not too sure on that one but I think that the CPUs in the T440 are non-replaceable
Keep in mind that the T430 is heavier and thicker that the T440. Go for a model with 1600x900 screen.

Attached: 1529590274188.png (1258x733, 752K)

does it fit into older thinkpads?

i don't think it fits bro

No.

Do I need an SSD in my X230?
I am poor

Need no, but ssd vastly improves user experience, I can't imagine ever going back to hdd now.

I got a x220t on eBay refurbished but when I use it it makes this annoying high pitched buzz. Do you guys think it’s the fan or could it be something else. I thought they would have cleaned the fans when it was refurbished.

Definitely worth the purchase.
If you're short on money you can buy a small and cheap msata SSD and leave the HDD in for storage.

I'm thinking of buying a used T440p.
The only problem is that the screen is only 1600x900. Can I just buy and replace it with a full HD one?

Attached: t440p-index.jpg (800x600, 61K)

ah, they really could've had something great with t25, but the gpu is shit, cpu is dual core, no yellow usb or older ports, macbook tier pricing, no retro 3:4 aspect ratio or ibm logo.

eh, at least we've got 51nb, but they only make a few motherboards at a time for one model so you gotta grab em quick before they sell out forever

Ha! I need that wallpaper.

I agree with but not for these reasons.
Get a T420 (or 30 for a little bit better thermals and USB 3).
If you get a T430 put in the T420 keyboard and mod the BIOS.
Then you can do things like upgrade the CPU to the overclockable quad cores, upgrade the screen to the 1080p ips, and replace the wifi nic later if you want to.
To top it all off, do pic related.

Attached: 1525009856323.jpg (1200x859, 237K)

I did a fresh install of Win10 on my X220, any essential Lenovo software to install?

Lenovo Vantage

power manager
that's it

Thank you guys? Do you know what I must look for to find a replacement clickpad?

Don't get a t440 and you don't have to.

Attached: gif_0532.gif (504x540, 816K)

you need to look for a t450 touchpad
don't get a shitty soldered ulv t440 anyway, go t440p if you want haswell

Attached: 130221984383.jpg (600x578, 45K)

Only if you want a quadcore as well. The T440p is a bulky monster in comparison.

What the are the max specs on a T420

>pic unrelated

Attached: 261E4F9A-7696-4831-A1C2-4E60844ED44C.jpg (2400x1350, 314K)

this + fhd mod that wasn't a thing back then

Attached: gdff.jpg (527x432, 62K)

oh and the nvidia nvs dgpu but it's awful so it doesn't even matter

Tripcode is looking good.

youtube.com/watch?v=QEzhxP-pdos

My elitebook 8470p is acting weird. Earlier today I restarted it and the screen wouldn't come on, so I forced shutdown and looked through the troubleshooting guide -- nothing there fixed it which led me to think it'd be either my RAM or motherboard failing. However, I just turned it on right now and it works. I have liked this machine, and it cost me about $110. I could repair mine (but I am quite amateur at repair), or buy another machine. For repair, I don't have parts, and the price of buying parts individually makes me think I ought to just buy another machine anyways.
Don't know whether it's better to just buy another elitebook of this model (then I'll have spare parts) or to get what is said to be a more reliable machine - thinkpad.

done

does this have features not available in Vantage or Windows settings?

Mine turned itself off and made a loud single beep. Tried to turn on and fans kept turning off and on with no display.

Finally now no components turn on except LED indicator and a constant buzzing from the CUP unless I turn it off.

Neato. What sort of docking method are you using with that eGPU?

>Vantage
I don't know, i'm using 10 LTSB so no """modern""" store bullshit.
Power manager has detailed info about your battery, lets you set up charging thresholds, calibrate the battery among other features. If Vantage has all of those then you don't need PM.

Yes get an IPS one.

The Expresscard EXP GDC.
But that's an old build from when the 1000-series nvidia gpus were released or so, i sold the entire build like a year and half ago.

Yeah Vantage has all that. Thanks for answering anyways.

Also installed the hotkey features package. I think I'm all good now.

would date/10

Any P50 or P51 users here? Would you recommend it? Currently using a Fujitsu H760. It does the job but only inside the dockingstation so I don't need to use the awful keyboard.
Would be using it for CAD (i.e. Solid Edge)

You got a source on that? Pretty disappointing to hear. I was planning to buy an E485 to replace my aging T500, but if it thermal throttles and gets insanely hot then I may as well just keep holding on to the T500 until Windows 7 support ends. The T500, despite having an ATI card, does at least keep cool. The P8400 might have something to do with that.

Who’s dick do I have to suck to get the toaster sticker?

What was the last Thinkpad that had a processor without Intel ME? I'm thinking it was the T6x series or something around that time, but I could be wrong.

Can the T540P with an ultrabay run SSDs in RAID?

I always thought that the 64-bit Intel CPUs all had ME. It's one of the reasons why I'm hanging on to my T60, even though I use an X230 with Intel Botnet Technology day-to-day.

I7-3840qm
FHD-IPS display
16 GB RAM
AC WiFi NIC
E-GPU though I don't know how well those work.

Attached: 1502049818561.jpg (480x640, 111K)

if you're still looking for one I have one for sale on ebay I can post some more pictures for you at request.

What's the best way to remove the Windows and graphics card stickers?

I live in Europe. Post links if you're not from Burgerland please.

buying a new palmrest

I'll keep my burgers thank you very much.

I wanna buy a larger thinkpad. I have an X230, but i wanna have 14". I wanna do programming, browsing and texting. Sometimes use gimp for profilepictures, whatever.
Should i buy a T430 or T440?
T430 looks more solid and has better buttons.
T440 is modern look and buttons are integrated.

Attached: serveimage.jpg (4134x3100, 2.84M)

Is there such a thing as a laptop without microphone, camera and speakers? If so recommend it to me. If not recommend me laptops without some of them, thanks.

I'm also selling a T440p and not from burgerland but not from Europe either.
rip

Too bad. Customs and shipping would probably be too much of a hassle.

Attached: 1529595321290.jpg (619x453, 34K)

T430 put the better keyboard in.

Any thinkpad and then remove the speakers and camera/microphone pcb.

Why does ThinkPad use so much memory doing nothing?

I don't really mind because I have 12gb, but 3.3gb is kind of weird.

Attached: Untitled.png (1920x1080, 574K)

Why would i pay for cam/speakers/mic just to remove them. I dont want to end up with a unsellable pc with holes in it. Tbh fuck off or answer my question.