/sqt/ Stupid Questions Thread

Post your questions here

>Read
→ (Cross-thread) → → → →

>search
>ddg.gg/lite

>redirect anons making their own threads with >GNU/Linux questions?
>PC building?
>Good, cheap, laptops?
>Windows questions?
>Where can I get Win10 LTSB?
>How do I activate Win10/Win7?
pastebin.com/smjvLZN4
pastebin.com/quC0gz4j
pastebin.com/gHCCFBkt
pastebin.com/4LvsAFk7

Previous thread:

Attached: 11.jpg (306x328, 44K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B0742D7L45/ref=twister_B0765Z8WQD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.co.uk/Touchpad-Mouse-Precision-Finger-Gesture/dp/B06XGB8MN2
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Previous thread

I wish I had a gf like that.

different user here, what does this mean?

Attached: DiskInfo64S_2018-08-12_14-30-48.png (668x807, 153K)

What's the max safe temperature for a Sandy Bridge CPU (i5 2500k)???

Attached: 1533999494801.jpg (554x640, 210K)

Function>Advanced features>Raw values>10 DEC
Be ready to buy a new HDD.

Anything under 80°C.

Why does my PC keep crashing when I try to render video at 14,000,000 bitrate?! Should I use single instead of variable?

Attached: 92FE9B77-BA10-4B95-A012-1B3EEF441DED.jpg (633x758, 54K)

Check RAM usage while rendering.

I do that, it gets to 70% or so then my entire machine freezes. 1/10 times it will fully render. I might just do a single pass instead of two pass to get it to render...

Attached: 5B560A2B-CD6E-4254-93D9-A518C88C0E80.jpg (613x500, 124K)

Is it possible that this HDD dying will affect any of my other drives somehow? It's just my scratch drive so I don't mind if it croaks but I don't want it to corrupt my main drives

Attached: DiskInfo64S_2018-08-12_14-38-03.png (638x45, 5K)

amazon.com/dp/B0742D7L45/ref=twister_B0765Z8WQD?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
How is this? Am I cheaping out for a VA monitor?

how much do i really need to spend on a fucking gaming monitor? i was kinda hoping to get one for like 50-150 bucks but it seems like they run 400-500? seems crazy to me

Supposedly not, look into it. These ports are digital, there should be no loss.

it really depends on what type you want

can you hackintosh in a partition instead of the whole drive? I can't find info on that. It'd be the only OS in that drive.

A gaming monitor is a monitor that is marketed to people who want to identify as a gamer. Spend $100-$200 on something with good reviews and be done with it. The differences are very slim, even undetectable to certain people.

It wont affect other drives, also the reallocated sector count means the drive is still ok, damaged but hanging there.

Worry when the pending and uncorrectable sector count values increase.

There are cheaper and better IPS monitors than that one.

Depends in the kind of monitor you want and which GPU you have.

Holy shit, that value.

But Im looking for a VA monitor

How do I process string literals in Python in a raw string?

Why? its the middle ground of TN and IPS without their benefits.

"gaming" usually means 1ms response time.

Will my video still look good if I use one-pass instead of two with a constant bit-rate of 14,000,000?

how do i clone disk A to disk A if:
Disk A has 500 gb capacity
Disk A has windows 7 installed on it
Disk A only has 100 gb used
Disk B has 320 gb capacity
Disk B has no partitions on it
i tried clonezilla but it complains that the destination disk is too small, even though it's only 100 gb on a 320 gb disk.

This thread was made thinking there was no "stupid questions" thread. My apologies.

I need an external hard drive. Someone help me

>buy hdd
>buy good enclosure
>get max performance

capacity?
performance?
sound level?

>capacity?
Probably around a TB or two, nothing extreme
>performance?
I don't really mind a slow disk; reliability is my priority (storing financial information, photos, passwords, etc)
>sound level?
No preference. I won't be playing games on it or anything, just for long term storage.

Is a HDD the most reliable option?

>Is a HDD the most reliable option?
Yes, and make sure teh enclours is the proper connectors and not a shitty usb 1 link

Get a WD red

What? Where did you hear this?

WD Red then.

I need to teach kids something (useful) about computing.
How can I explain to them how the common sense antivirus works?

>I need to teach kids something (useful) about computing.
Just tell them not to use their real names online.

Teach them file extensions and make sure they know why to not download linkin_park.mp3.exe

Any specific hard drive enclosures you'd recommend?

cute drawing of me

Depends on the size of the HDD.
If 2.5", get an Orico. Their clear one is nice, no tools required.

Any recommendations for youtube videos on basic computer stuff from terms, building to coding?
I'm looking at the khan Academy stuff.

Attached: 1533356857032.png (362x362, 48K)

I need it for a 3.5 inch disk.

similar to external hard drives, many of these enclosures have a fair amount of negative reviews about not lasting very long. Kinda concerning.

Thats why you use internal hdds

>I need it for a 3.5 inch disk.
Look for one that has a fan. 3.5" disks get hot, and that leads to faster failures.

I'm considering maybe getting a hard drive dock and a separate protective case and whatnot for the disk instead. Am I stupid or is this a good idea?

Is it normal for movies to be so hard to run smoothly? I downloaded a movie here which is 2160p and both mpv and mpc-hc struggle to smoothly play it. I have a FX6300 with a R7 260x.

Attached: 1531112281159.jpg (261x192, 13K)

You have a shitty CPU trying to play 4K video, what did you expect.

amazon.co.uk/Touchpad-Mouse-Precision-Finger-Gesture/dp/B06XGB8MN2
yay or nay

Attached: file.png (1622x595, 711K)

What do you guys usually use for temperature monitoring of your system? Do you use whatever software your mobo manufacturer offers or is there anything universally better?

As a guy coming from Java and Android, who wasn't very good at maths, where would it be a good place to start learning Machine learning? Any good books?

>Ingame
MSI Afterburner overlay(You have to set it up in settings).
>Outside
Speccy, Hwmonitor, etc.

If you're asking if it's a good touchpad mouse, yes.
If you're asking if you should get a touchpad mouse, no.

Can I bit shift to get the leading two hex digits?
Like I have 0x301013. How can I get 0x30?

0x301013 >> 16 = 0x30

Can I get the middle digits (0x10) ?

What software are you using? What resolution is the video? What are the output codecs?

Networking / servers not my area at all.
I have stuff on Google Drive I'm trying to access remotely but with a better indexer. I want to use h5ai.
I don't have enough space on my computer to host the drive contents.

How can I host my Drive folder over h5ai?

Attached: h5ai.png (1024x711, 199K)

Think of lots of comparisons. They don't have to be 100% accurate as long as the kids got the point.
Also how young are those kids? Teaching them common sense is a nice idea, but probably wasted effort. It's like when you tell kids to never go with strangers or to always look for cars before crossing the road. They understand what you are saying, but once in the situation it's likely for them to forget (or at least not think) about it.

What's the better option: to scrub and delete and old email address, or scrub and abandon it?

Attached: JmBej1W.jpg (750x375, 32K)

What happened to the archive, rbt? Been away for awhile.

9 to 12 years old.

(0x301013 >> 8) & 0xff

Currently down.

My friend had a broken ASUS T100HA. It's a "2 in 1" Windows Tablet with a detachable keyboard, however the touchscreen doesn't work.

I've looked into it, a replacement digitizer would cost around 50 dollars, but I've already got a Chromebook and Lenovo Y700, so practically, I don't need it, and it's a bit slow and dull. What do you guys say, is it worth it? Is it even guaranteed I can make the screen work again? It's cracked and works in one spot of the screen, so I'm just guessing it's the digitizer.

If I buy a Windows key online for like 10$, can I reuse the key later if I do a OS Re install? Or would I need to buy a key again?

Not worth it since you have to replace the screen too.
Replacing Digitizers is a pain.
You have to remove the glass too so you need a heatgun. also a new glass to replace the old one.

Plug a Mouse on it and use it as another screen to play stuff.

it should tell you if it locks to a certain device. In that case, you can reuse it as many times as you want, but only on that particular device.

Otherwise, you're free to reuse it, but I've sometimes had issues having two active computers on the same key, though this was mostly in Win 7 times. I think there's device locks now.

>Buying Windows
Just use MSToolkit.
But to answer your question, yes you can reuse it IN THE SAME MACHINE ONLY.

My heart flutters when I think about big dicks and I want to kiss boys and cuddle with them and have them put their big dicks in me or rub them on my little dick and then I cum and it all seems very gross. Am I gay?

Attached: cirno leather chair.png (410x480, 84K)

Jow Forums fucking blows
you ask a question in an appropriate thread youre directed to sqt you ask on sqt no one knows how to answer your question

Ah, I did find a digitizer on Ebay that included LCD for 50 USD, so that wouldn't be that problem.
The thing is, when I read about this online, it's not exactly getting praise, but I just love the Windows tablet concept. My gf had a Toshiba that I envied, but the battery worked like shit so she got another laptop. I guess unless it's a surface, it's not worth it.

but yeah, it has a keyboard and mousepad that I use, so it's fine, I'm just hoping someone has some experience with this unit.

Completely straight and heterossexual. Only fags are into women.

The truth is, most of us just don't fucking bother with IT support-esque questions; what's your problem though, bub?

lol

This is absolutely normal user. You have nothing to worry about.

I use umatrix but I also want to be able to block individual elements. Is there a simple lightweight way to do this or am I going to have to run ublock alongside and duplicate 90% of umatrix's functionality?

hoou aa atht>?

Personally I've never run umatrix, I don't understand why you can't just disable adblocking on umatrix' side and then use ublock or ublock origin alongside?
Yeah this belongs in like a Firefox/browser thread, you're only going to get answer here if you're lucky someone passes through with intricate knowledge on Firefox modding.

Are there any good computing cartoon shorts?

>I don't understand why you can't just disable adblocking on umatrix' side

I use umatrix for adblocking already. It's more fine-grained in every respect except I can't block individual page elements. I could just uninstall umatrix and use ublock instead but it leaves me wondering why there's a gaping hole in umatrix's feature set.

Is it possible to see the recipient phone number of a text message in the packet that a cell phone (smart or otherwise) would send? From what I previously read the packet is encrypted in-flight, decrypted in the provider's network, then encrypted again to be sent to the recipient.
Is there an external device that could selectively jam cellphones, like prevent text messages from being sent to a specific number but allowing people to text others?

why would my local ip be so high by default?

i only have 5 devices on my network, just wondering why my computer would be .75 and not .2 to .6

Attached: ipconfig.png (1289x705, 33K)

I got Acestream (p2p streaming service on a fork of VLC) for my bro so he could stream shit.
The problem now is that whenever re uses it the internet for literally everything else in the house goes to shit. Doesn't matter if it's on Ethernet or WiFi, if acestream is on everything's going to shit

I don't want to uninstall acestream, it works rather well but how can I limit its bandwidth usage or whatever so it's not turning everything to shit? If I limit the down/up speed, would that work?

Attached: jose-mourinho-worried.png (562x351, 371K)

Use acronis which will always work and never complain, it will just say it will need to resize it to work and then it just works.
It's on hirens if you need it

The standard packet capture tools won't allow you to capture modern cell packets.

On an Android phone, once the cellular modem establishes a data session with the network, it will create an interface (rmnet0 or rmnet_usb0 for example). That interface is what the Android OS uses to exchange packets from the OS to the cellular modem in the phone.

Once it reaches the cellular modem, packets get encapsulated in GTP (for user data). The control packets (non-access stratum signalling for example) is generated at the cellular modem itself.

In order to capture these messages directly from the phone, you will need specialized equipment of software capable of connecting and interpreting the Qualcomm diagnostic monitor (DM) port on the phone. QXDM, TEMS Investigation and Swissqual are examples of tools capable of doing that.

I don't know of any free tool capable of interfacing correctly with the DM port but I'd be interested in one exist.

oooooooooh
can't you just do it the other way around then? Just disable ublock's adblocking, and use it only to block individual elements.

Your DHCP range settings are probably set higher by default on your router and the addresses aren't assigned in sequential order. It's typical.

I could, but that's what I'm getting at. Why is the elitist sperglord alternative to ublock lacking its most basic feature? Why do I need ublock to do this? I feel like I missed something.

Interesting info. I ask because I have a friend who has trouble texting me from her work (which I used to work at and left on bad terms) due to reception though she can text most others just fine.

Maybe I’m just paranoid thinking they’ve installed a jammer...

So to capture the packets you would neef to have physical, hardware access to the phone, not simply a RF receiver?

Well I feel like the thought-process here is that you can make a script to block certain elements on certain websites pretty easily yourself. Sperglords only use a combined total of 10 different websites at most, so it makes sense.

They don't need to. As soon as it reaches your carrier, it's sent off to daddy gov.

Please protect me from the botnet. I just want them to leave me alone. Go away. Stop trying to control my computer and my thoughts and my life to make sixty cents. I'm not going to buy anything you're selling. I don't want to have to give up so much and do so much work all to make them leave me alone. I just want them to go away. How do I make them go away?

Attached: Loli_at_computer.jpg (700x513, 66K)

I bought a domain name at ovh in the idea of accessing my server more easily.
It seems that if you want to configure a dynamic dns you're forced to use a subdomain, so to access it I'll be forced to use subdomain.domain.com instead of accessing it directly with domain.com

Is there a way to bypass this ?

I don’t know if the government cares enough to help a shitty little startup perpetuate their cult.

Adblockers, look into the Pihole thing, I read that it stops ad domains at the router source so it doesn't even reach your computer.

kill yourself, senpai
then why would anyone else?

Attached: cocks.png (1280x800, 364K)

why wouldn't you be able to just use the domain to point to an ip ?
isn't that what domains are for ?

They would do it themselves. They didn’t really give 2 shits about the law.

Which Linux distro should I use for the best privacy?

Do you know a good screen recording software that doesn't cause lag with my specs? pic related.
I wanted to record some 1080p gameplay but I'm ok with 480p capture res too if there is no lag, I just don't want to lower the ingame resolution to record, it's ok if the output video is lower, as long as it's watchable.

Attached: specs.png (422x229, 11K)

>I don't want to have to give up so much and do so much work all to make them leave me alone. I just want them to go away.
I got bad news for you... unless you become clinically autistic, you will never escape the botnet.

Attached: 1499876295275.png (1000x1000, 115K)