Alternatives to web development

What's a good alternative career for someone whose not a fan of web dev? I don't really like the "culture", the constantly changing frameworks, responsive design requirements, cross-browser issues...

Would learning how to develop for android/iOS be a good alternative? or is there something else you would recommend?

Attached: shutterstock_511444168-800x450.jpg (800x450, 55K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=k7n2xnOiWI8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>constantly changing frameworks
There’s three.....

> responsive design requirements
This is nearly entirely automatically handled in any modern web architecture and development process.

> cross browser issues
..... You got me there

You don't need to follow all the bullshit. You just need to be able to develop websites. If you can't develop a website without relying on constantly adding more and more stupid frameworks, then you really shouldn't be making websites in the first place.

>responsive design requirements
Design for mobile and use viewpoint unit width, it'll give you a percentage of total screen width to use. This will make your site always scale in width to the screen, on any resolution.

>cross-browser issues
What cross browser issues? Chrome is the only relevant browser, you can safely ignore everything else. If your client says they want to support Internet Explorer, tell them you do it at a 500% rate because it's a ten year old browser.

I felt the same as you, OP. Couldn't stand the numale culture of "web artisans". Here are your options:
UNIX/C developer: self explanatory
Applications developer: look for defense contractor positions especially, mostly C++ and Java here
Firmware developer: C and C++

You get to master a technology instead of a new numale framework every other week

>There's three
Angular 1, angular 2, react (with redux.. with flux), vue, ember, meteor, and who knows what we'll be using 3 years from now. Also make sure you know Jquery, wordpress, SASS, LESS, grunt, gulp, webpack, etc.

Web development is the most infected with retarded numale cucks sphere
Go into software dev/ mobile applications / VR
Also data science and AI is possible (but its more of a working for future)

t. worked in web dev sphere

Laravel, cakePHP, symphony,etc.

there's a shitload, webdev is cancer

Or you can just add whatever IE version you want to support in your babel config and have polyfills and other things handled for you while you write modern code.

Nonsense, 87% of web dev is inserting your fist into Wordpress's anus every two and a half weeks. Once you acquire a rubber glove, some lube, and an iron stomach you can find work forever.
>killmenow.exe

Like half of those are owned by Google. This is absolute cancer. Just recently they asked me to work on Flutter and it turned out to be some C++ derived garbage developed by Google. I do work that's mostly focused on desktop(php/html/js) and all those frameworks are optimized for mobile. Fucking phoneposters ruining everything.

Just ignore them. Really. I have to do some web dev for stuff I make at my company and I just use plain JS and libraries as needed.

well it's hard to ignore it when most employers want it

Don't look for a job that is primarily web dev.

>Don't look for a job that is web dev.
Fixed it for You

>data science and AI

The retards have infested these 2 areas as well. From what I’ve seen any field that’s new or an interdisciplinary scam will have hordes of idiots, charlatans, and generally useless people who believe they know everything (peak of mt stupid on duning kruger) infesting it because it’s impossible to tell for sure they’re doing something right.

>it's not my fault I don't know what's going on, the machine is learning on its own

The issue with web dev is trying to use every single technology out there to supplement actual content on your site.

Attached: 1531030976100.png (362x507, 192K)

youtube.com/watch?v=k7n2xnOiWI8

This is mostly because of the insanely hard push of stem programs from schools. Tech is good money, that will ALWAYS bring the faggots flocking.

Data science is even worse. It's the basis for AI, but a lot of the retards calling themselves "data scientists" have no grasp of statistics or the appropriate use of whatever statistical methods they are using despite taking 9001 online data science #koding courses that are actually rebranded statistics.

i've seen this, and I agree with it. But when I'm looking for a job, no one is asking for a javascript guru, they're all looking for React/Angular devs.

Don't look for a web dev job, simple.

that's why I'm asking about alternatives

>I don't really like the "culture"
I mean, the culture is hit and miss. There's alot of us in our 20s who are passionate and excited about it, but it can be a little hipstery in the startup scenes. But regardless, I've met nothing but chill awesome people in the field since I've been a webdev.

>constantly changing frameworks
There's only 3 now, and if you stick w/ React you're golden. Vue is a solid choice too. Angular will stick around as well, but it's meh.
The framework craziness has slowed down and should be solid for another few years at least.

> responsive design requirements
Much much simpler to deal with nowadays, especially now that we have more powerful CSS with flexbox and css grid, both of which are responsive by nature. No need to write hacky css to make anything responsive anymore.

> cross-browser issues
Unless you have to support IE, this is essentially a non-issue now. All current browsers support the latest CSS features and even ES6 natively.

Anyways,
That all being said web dev is very much a field where if you're genuinely interested in the subject, it's great. If you're not, and just looking to "have a tech job" or doing it "just to pay the bills", then yeah you're probably not going to enjoy it. But that's the same with just about anything.

Attached: 1445382754543.jpg (2150x1378, 405K)

This is the only reasonable post in the entire thread.

>posts anime picture
All you have to know about web dev

Where can I get a job where I just work with a bunch of autists instead of having to deal with corporate culture and diversity meetings?

Probably an admin of some type (system, db, network). That way you just stay hidden until something goes wrong instead of having to participate in daily stand-up shit

Go fucking apply for anything instead of reading larps on Jow Forums

I'm looking to shift away from webdev and and pick up Java or C++ for applications development. I'm having trouble conceptualizing ideas for projects outside of a web platform. Should I build more complex APIs and server-side data handling programs? GUI-based desktop? I'm trying to get an idea of what would look good in a portfolio.

Scientific programming?
Sure, you need the corresponding degree or experience, but surely that's more satisfying than writing the umphteenth wordpress plugin..

For both Java and C++ you should pick either back end stuff or front end apps or both.

>Cyber security.
>Data science

>back end stuff or front end apps or both
Could you be a little more specific? I think I need examples. By "front end apps", do you mean a GUI desktop application? When you say "back end stuff", do you mean web service APIs?

Frond end means Gui stuff yeah.
Backend can mean many things, depends. Web service APIs is one of those (for Java see Tomcat/WebSphere), but there are plenty of other things that can mean backend depending what industry you're in.

It could be as simple as processing data coming into the system, etc.

> hates web
> likes mobile
You're smoking crack if you think mobile is any more mature. Besides you're retarded if you think @media is hard

>Network engineer (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE)
>Any it stuff (you can enter as an app support guy)
>back end developer
>embedded systems
>project manager

Install SQL.

I'd like to do more backend related things, but I'm having a tough time thinking of a project to work on that isn't a web service API, since that's largely all I've worked on up until this point.

Find an open source project that is backend related and contribute to it if you're having a hard time coming up with "toys" for showing off.

I'll consider that. Thanks!

>not having a bot handle stand-up meetings so you don't actually have to stand up and have a meeting.

Stand-up fucking sucks. I'm always on edge in the morning and the night before thinking about what the fuck I'm going to say during a lull period or whenever I'm working on the same thing for a week plus.

>ou can safely ignore everything else
yeah, I'm just going to ignore 40% of marketshare, because..

>There's only 3 now, and if you stick w/ React you're golden

Which ones?

Attached: 1526602752369.jpg (350x350, 31K)

>everyone is saying not to do webdev and do programming instead
>don't have a cs degree so not sure if i can break into the field like i did with webdev
Can it be done Jow Forums?

Don't get into mobile, webshits are finding ways to spread their AIDS into them.
See React Native and Flutter.

I'm not "really" in the industry, so I'm not even sure what that means. Web is everywhere now. When people just say "do programming instead", do they mean embedded systems and enterprise software and shit like that? Where do you find that kind of work? A vast majority of postings in my area under "software engineer" or "software developer" all have web involved in some way. I might just do backend shit in web.

I'm also interested in which ones

if you're using that shitty Yoast SEO, it's more like every 3 days because they can't futureproof their programming for SHIT

I mentioned them... React, Vue.js and Angular

Help guys, I've allowed myself to be pigeonholed into PHP and "soon" node.js. How the fuck do i escape. i've managed to avoid the front-end, but it's only a matter of time before I get pushed into that bullshit

it's so depressing. Legacy java/c++ doesn't look much better, and all the decent languages are either too new or too obscure for a lowly webcuck like me. why is there so much ignorance, stupidity, and bad taste in this industry?

I'm on my way to switch to QA or sysadmin. Noone even uses PHP anymore.

>Noone even uses PHP anymore.
Oh how I wish that were true. And when they get tired of PHP they move on to Node.js, Python, Go, and other garbage that allows them to keep writing the same shitty code.

I should have taken that C++ job out of school; sure it was underpaid and would have been awful, but it would have kept me far away from these retards.