Anyone else fall for the Raspberry Pi meme...

Anyone else fall for the Raspberry Pi meme? I wasted $30 on this thing that does nothing as well as electronics I already own.

Attached: maxresdefault.jpg (1280x720, 74K)

I'll buy it from you for $10

Jesus are we having this thread /again/?

Ok, things you can do with a Raspberry Pi:
Hifi audio server for bitperfect playback, without any mechanical noise from hard disk spins or fans. Look into Volumio for a prepackaged distro, or 24bit96.com for how to build it yourself from scratch.
Turn it into a docker server to store files and generally learn how both docker and networking work, always a useful skill.
Install Pihole and have a network-wide adblocker that speeds up browsing
Turn it into a Tor exit node and/or a bridge for Tor connections to both learn how Tor works and secure yourself to a higher degree.
Use it as an IRC bot, or any kind of bot for that matter.
Turn it into a seedbox to always be seeding torrents for private trackers.
Plug in a camera and hide it somewhere for security (or to spy on roasties)
Hide it in a public place and scan for handshakes on wifi networks.
Use it as a general playground for new shit like distros (arch, gentoo) or possible alterations to distros you want to test run before applying to a more important device, if you lack a laptop for that already.

More on this wifi handshake? I'd love to connect to my neighbors wifi for educational purposes.

look into aircrack

Lol I'm not reading that

Fuck off skid.

1. Get a raspberry pi
2. Install a minimal linux distro on it, make sure to really only install the bare basics
3. Install X and mame
4. Install the ROMs for the apollo workstation
5. Boot the apollo vm, install the OS from tape
6. Set up mame to automatically launch the vm after the pi boots
7. Use it as your redpilled retro workstation

Attached: 1335591029.or.60938.png (1024x800, 16K)

What's the point of this thing when you can get a Gemini Lake embedded board for $60?

Your not supposed to buy one if you A) already have a perfectly good laptop or desktop computer B) have no project in mind where you need a dedicated physical computer

its like getting angry you just bought a single desktop part and then you have nothing to use it for, your not just supposed to buy one just because.

I'm planning on using it as an arcade box to play fighting games with

gonna bring that shit to university

Attached: q_taunt.gif (142x140, 46K)

For the love of fuck, don’t waste a Pi as a faggot “retro emulation box”.

Going straight to nostalgia manchild emulation is one of the biggest cop-out maneuvers you can do for such a versatile device.

Get pihole

>hating someone for using hardware in a different way to you

Get fucked you child.

Related, run Richard Millers Plan 9 distribution on it so you can have a redpilled research workstation.

Attached: sloth.jpg (1400x1050, 614K)

Autist.

Being a child is thinking that every goddamn computer should be used for video games.

Odroid XU4 is way better for that.

No, being a child is getting upset that someone is using a computer for video games.

finally!! automated shitposts on Jow Forums

not unoriginal and boring at all

Attached: 650.jpg (600x688, 37K)

Games are the main use for an end user computer in 2018 just behind a fully functional web browser. If you don't believe this you are completely out of touch with reality. And no a sever or the workstation you use at your job does not count as an end user computer in this context.

OwO? What is this?!
BAITSU!

This, there are FAR better SoCs for that application. Pi 3's are too weak.

Jesus are we having this thread /again/?

Ok, things you can do with a Raspberry Pi:
Hifi audio server for bitperfect playback, without any mechanical noise from hard disk spins or fans. Look into Volumio for a prepackaged distro, or 24bit96.com for how to build it yourself from scratch.
Turn it into a docker server to store files and generally learn how both docker and networking work, always a useful skill.
Install Pihole and have a network-wide adblocker that speeds up browsing
Turn it into a Tor exit node and/or a bridge for Tor connections to both learn how Tor works and secure yourself to a higher degree.
Use it as an IRC bot, or any kind of bot for that matter.
Turn it into a seedbox to always be seeding torrents for private trackers.
Plug in a camera and hide it somewhere for security (or to spy on roasties)
Hide it in a public place and scan for handshakes on wifi networks.
Use it as a general playground for new shit like distros (arch, gentoo) or possible alterations to distros you want to test run before applying to a more important device, if you lack a laptop for that already.

Yeah well I didn't know that at the time I bought it

Use it as a hobo media center.

This copypasta still misses my favourite use: Gayming. It's great as a dedicated centre for older gaming systems - for the Pi 3, it can do all the way up to the N64.

such as?

You can use the airplay-ng to send DEATH packets while using airmon-ng to listen for a handshake, the bigger the file the better.
You could attempt to crack it or you could not be a skid and use it to verify other attacks(MITM, pixiewps,). Unless you have a couple titan V’s lying around to brute force it over a couple of days.

>death
>not deauth

I'll add that to it - do you have any resources to link to?

Could you elaborate on what those other attacks are?

Nope, just you faggot.

Attached: 20170610_111655.jpg (1488x1488, 611K)

Literally all those things can be done with a dirt cheap cloud service.

>all those things can be done with less security and reliance on a third party with ongoing costs
Hmmmm.

You could just buy a surplus business computer for like $85 on ebay

>Hifi audio server for bitperfect playback
jezus, this lie again?
rpi audio is shit.
>Use it as a general playground for new shit like distros
Lie again - almost no distros support arm. And rpi is not powerful enough for full desktop

This is shill thread.

>Lie again - almost no distros support arm.
Compile it yourself, fag.

Do I have to tell you /every/ time that the pi isn't the DAC but just the decoder, ie the actual music player itself? It plugs into your DAC via USB, and you can even buy a cheap extention board with coax and optical outs to bypass USB conversion too if your DAC has those inputs.
Also distros that have arm versions include Debian (obviously), Arch and Slackware. That's the perfect range from 'just werk' to edgy hipster shit.

What's your cluster for?

>try out new distro
>compile ot yourself
Choose one kid.

right now, I'm just using mine as a computer
even web browsing isn't that bad on it with chromium
raspbian minimal with windowmaker works like a charm, good balance of features and being light as fuck

the only real hassles are
>g++ takes too long
and it's really just for C++ stuff, compiling C isn't too bad
>video playback is a real pain
like, it can do it well, assuming you've got everything in the right format
naturally, that doesn't include webms

Ostensibly, you should be building a project that needs a bit of brains or network access or something if you really want to get something out of the Pi, it's a slow, if full-featured computer that's got a set of GPIO pins to control shit with.

if you really don't have an idea, set it up as a home server for something
mine serves files across my LAN sometimes

>its not the same distro if you compile it yourself

I bought 2. Haven't used either one.

Odroid XU4 if you want highend
>costs a fair bit to set up around $100
>hands down the most supported sbc check out OGST
>horsepower-wise it isnt the most powerful because RK3399 boards are already available but they heavily lack software support
>some people report their fan noise is a bit to loud, but there is a passively cooled version

Odroid C2 if you want a good-enough solution for a bit cheaper
>same level of support: also has OGST
>not as powerful as the XU4 but costs less as well
>passive cooling perfectly sufficient

Odroid C0 if you want to build a handheld
>previous generation C2 with built in battery circuit
pretty much odroids are the first at retro games because they have been released for a good amount of time and they have a community behind them

was meant for

Thanks

Attached: Screen Shot 2018-05-16 at 10.35.04 PM.png (996x988, 629K)

Does anyone use custom mapping in recalbox?
I'm setting mine up on a rpi0w and want to customize buttons.
Does this work like I think/want it to?
Will this allow me to configure any gpio input as whatever I want it to be or will I still need to adhere to the pinout?
If it does work that way than why wouldn't the os come like this already?

Attached: Untitled.png (928x575, 41K)

Nobody use this shit.