Previous:

Previous:

>Free beginner resources to get started
Get a good understanding of HTML, CSS and JavaScript.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Learn - a good introduction (independent of your browser choice)
freecodecamp.com
codecademy.com
hackr.io

>Further resources
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - excellent documentation for HTML, CSS & JS
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap - Frontend+Backend learner-path suggestions
youtube.com/watch?v=Zftx68K-1D4 - Web Development in 2018 - A Practical Guide

jsfiddle.net - Use this and post a link, if you need help with your HTML/CSS/JS

Attached: wdg.png (822x552, 868K)

Other urls found in this thread:

parceljs.org/
parceljs.org/getting_started.html
github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

is Elm worth learning or is it a meme?

Attached: 1496670889879 (1).webm (640x360, 2.55M)

Posted this Q on last thread but it's now dead, so I'm reposting in hopes that someone can help meh.

How can I downgrade PHP version on a CentOS 7 x64 server running LAMP stack?

Please help. Need to install IonCube Loader on the server for a script I bought, but the ICL installer isn't compatible with the latest version of PHP. Need to downgrade from 7.1 to 5.6 - Any idea how to do this using ssh?

Attached: Marky.jpg (485x250, 37K)

Will Intersection Observer ever get implemented into iOS/Safari??

It's looking like it's the best solution for lazy-loading, but it's really only supported in chrome/FF right now.

What's an alternative? Or should I use it and consider it as more of a progressive enhancement kind of thing?

Attached: 1474769420486.gif (376x270, 724K)

so I've got an NPM package I want to use client-side with browserify. how do I handle this? do I just include it in my javascript file and then browserify it and include it? do I browserify the module and then include that with a script tag?
also how do I automate this shit?
our current front-end setup is very simplistic. we have HTML files and then corresponding JS files where we do DOM manipulation, ajax calls, event handling, and such.

Anyone else fall for the nodeJS meme? I implemented that in production and it's a pain in the ass to maintain. Every once in a while a module no longer is supported and I have to change it out with its fork or a similar one, and then I have to update all the code as the author had a "different" vision and deprecated a bunch of shit.

I was told nodeJS is the future, but I regret ever using it.

Probably the easiest solution for your usecase is something like parceljs.org/ or learn how to configure webpack. There's a pretty easy guide on Parcel's website on how to get started parceljs.org/getting_started.html

Node isn't great at all if you care about stability. PHP set up with nginx or something like Go web server is the way to go.

Yeah, it's fucking shit. Had to use it at work once, never again.

PHP. It's 2018 user. PHP isn't total shit anymore. FPM + Nginx + Docker

nodeJS was the future for a very specific time frame
but then the likes of Go came out and others improved areas they were lacking (and why node was even a thing)

so really no need for it
not that it was ever really used outside of startups

>Observer
what do you want that for?

>PHP
>in 2k+18
the fuck am I reading

one user desperate for php to happen again
i miss perl user though he was way more fun

i did it /wdg/. i got a junior position working with node and js at 40k, with a meme degree. it's all thanks to you guys telling me to do it, thanks everyone!

nice! you're underpaid though!

Does someone have a resource to read up on understanding how different aspects of the front and back end fit together?

i'll take anything to work my way up, even if i am being underpaid. it's better than the 20k i was making.

Blame Laravel
For some reason some companies want to use that meme framework and gave php developers a chance to shine again

I did the same thing, started at $20/hr, and eventually got on par with the average developer in a couple years.

It's his first job. My first dev job was 19 dollars an hour. The low pay was worth the experience because 3 months later I was at a new job with mid-level pay.
Even if your first dev job is minimum wage it's well worth it.

Grats. Make sure to add it to your resume and update all the job search sites.

To be honest Laravel made back end web dev pretty fun again for me. Right now it's one of the quickest ways to set up fast and secure websites in comparison to fucking around with the likes of Express.

github.com/kamranahmedse/developer-roadmap

Min wage isn't worth it as a web dev. You have to separate a 'first job' and a 'first job in the industry'. Getting paid whatever is min wage (for whatever region you're in) within the industry is an absolute disgrace.
You recognize this too, you moved on pretty quickly if it only took 3 months. user should recognize that as well, he's underpaid and should be moving up pretty quickly. No shame in highlighting that and preventing talent exploitation.

sure thing, will do.
i definitely don't plan to stay at that level forever, but i really don't know how much i'm worth. after finishing with a silly liberal arts degree, i'm grateful for any work they'd give me. i do plan to go back for my masters, but that's 3-5 years away.

I'm only being paid 38k. Small city in PA. Startup. The work is pretty simple. I get to eat at my desk. I pretty much make my own hours (have to put in at least 40 per week tho). I can have headphones in. I'm part of a small team and the camaraderie is high.
I'm grateful because my GPA is shit, I had pathetic side projects and zero internship experience. I will be graduating soon with my bachelors in CS.
I WILL be leaving eventually because yeah I'm wanting to make a lot more.

Quit omitting the web dev /wdg/ line in the subject faggot, so I can filter the thread.

>filtering out tech on a tech board

Well that's what I'm trying to say here. I was really appreciative for my first job but I knew it was just to have experience on my resume to get a better job. Took me 2 years to find my first job.

We will do what we want. No one cares about you.

wdg really should be somewhere in the description though, for people searching. I probably wouldn't have found this thread if it wasn't linked from the previous one.

What do you guys use to secure your REST APIs? I'm looking into oauth2 but it seems like a lot of trouble.

Its there if you search for wdg because wfg is the image name.

>tfw no gf

oauth2 or bust my dude. people will think your'e chump change and not professional if you don't.

>Quit omitting the web dev /wdg/ line in the subject faggot
oh, yeah I forgot this time.
My bad.

Oauth2 or JWT. I like Oauth1 better because signing requests is a gigantic asspain if you arent using a library amd double verifying JWTs is an even bigger asspain without a library.

Oauth1 with CORS off is what I use for my personal APIs but when I build at work it's oauth2.

I'm somewhat new to web dev, and I need to create a static desktop-based site that isn't a blog. I know HTML and CSS, but have no idea what the best tools for actually building a site would be. Google isn't my friend here, because I'm afraid I'll fall for some code-artisan nonsense.

Bootstrap is easy.

For oauth2 specifically, what sort of grant types would you guys suggest for a web application targeting primarily desktop/mobile clients? The regular authorization code seems like it'd suffice, but I don't like the baggage on 3rd-party clients of having to throw in a dependency on Webkit or whatever just to authenticate.
Password grant seems like it's ideal in my case. I'm just trying to write an imageboard here; I don't think there's anything potentially sensitive that could be abused here. But I thought I'd ask you guys.

Stupid question but if I'm using Laravel with an SQLite database, do I need to install SQLite software itself on the server? Or does Laravel/PHP automatically know how to work with an .sqlite file?

No, there isn't any SQLite server of any kind that manages your database so all you'll need is a SQLite file and configure Laravel to use it.

hey guys. i finally got my first gig. it's is to create a website for a martial arts place. i am not getting paid for it. but it will be my first official, commercial site i'll have to showcase in my portfolio. - now, the martial arts place is a franchise and HQ says they can't advertise side businesses from their MA business, flyers, website, etc... however i have noticed other locations have the webmaster/designer listed/linked at the bottom. so i guess that is ok.

other than banner ads and the like, which i can not do. is there any way to bake in some sort of revenue stream?

Attached: shuriken.gif (100x100, 22K)

Well it won't get you any referrals from them and it might get you a fraud conviction or computer crime conviction but you could always put in some webworkers farming bitcoins.

>however i have noticed other locations have the webmaster/designer listed/linked at the bottom. so i guess that is ok.
1. You shouldn't put links on someone's website without permission
2. You can sell hosting, helping with content updates or whatever. Clients constantly come back to me with small questions. Sometimes I help them out for free, but if it takes more then 2 minutes I ask money for it.

hmm...

Attached: yinyanganimated.gif (225x225, 341K)

What are some good websites to learn how to use HTML5/CSS and Javascript to create rich web interfaces? I want to be able to host my java tools on my website through an web front end.

freecodecamp.org does well enough for newbs
w3schools.com/css if you are a documentation junkie

Thanks!

Would Bootstrap be a good tool for what I want? I essentially just want a RESTFul service (via Spark Java or Spring) that coughs up results back to an HTML5 interface.

Anons, I am using this code to hide txt in an image which when clicked reveals the txt.

However it is effecting the size of all images on the page instead of just the one I am using in the code.

How do I fix this? I am a noob by the way.

.buttonlabel {cursor: pointer;}
.imhiddenlel {display: none;}
.center { display: block; margin-left: auto; margin-right: auto; width: 100%; }
li {list-style-type: none; float: left; width: 100%;}
img {width:1024px;height:429px;}
input[id^="dropdown-"]{display: none;}
input[id^="dropdown-"]:checked ~
.imhiddenlel {display: block;}

Thank you based user!!!

>tfw actually learning PHP for Laravel

A job is a job.

I get good money doing jquery/php. Fuck the memers.

working with xampp how do i notice css changes every time i reload the page without clearing cookies and data on chrome?

force refresh, ctrl-f5

friendly reminder people dont care about the stack they just want something that fucking works

user, what is your favorite language for web development?
I think that C is the best language for this puprose

In JavaScript, is the only reason I would use "forEach" over a 'for loop' be that the syntax just looks cleaner?

Would "forEach" having a function scope matter at all as a benefit if I'm already not using var in my code.

40k is a pretty big salary for a region I'm working in. :(

>subject
fuck off pathetic java loser

forEach is cleaner syntax-wise, but for loop has better performance.

I would literally sell my soul for half of that.

third worlders OUT

No.

what's FPM?

Disgusting.

php-fpm - allows nginx to spawn PHP on pages.

Thanks!

Well $40k is a lot for most people
Wages in america are totally fucked because of taxes, rent and healthcare etc.

In America you're poor if you make less than 100k, in europe you're rich if you make like $30k Unless you live in a huge city, I guess.

Always pisses me off when an American brags about making 100k but their rent is like $40k for a shitty studio apartment, taxes take another 30% and they're left with $30k to actually spend on everything else in life, when you add in all the basics you have to pay for like food and electricity etc you're not even doing that well off.

tl;dr 100k in some shitty middle of nowhere town is insane, in a big city it's nothing.

My first job, earning like 85k in Australia. Maybe you should move to a better country.

how much for taxes? food? rent? cost of living?

idiot

Australia pay is good on paper too, but it doesn't matter.

I just don't get it, brag about your profit at the end of the year, not how much you get paid, that's my point.

Your start number is higher but that doesn't mean shit, you could go live in zimbabwe and be a billionaire.

a decent one room apartment in melbourne is like $350/week

>$350/week
>week

why not say +1000 a month?

because we use per week in australia

Call me a hippie if you want but I want to get into web dev as a personal challenge.

I don't give a flying fuck about salary as long as it covers my basic needs.

>I don't give a flying fuck
>as long as it covers

hmmm

Anyone got a tutorial on how to create a basic livestreaming site? Don't care what language is used just want to see the architecture.

>PHP set up with nginx

Attached: 1384093026265.gif (250x187, 1.98M)

search your questions before posting here
google("how to create a basic livestreaming site")

because you live week to week?

Attached: index.jpg (92x92, 3K)

I've been doing Protractor tests for an angular project, and I've run into an issue related to a subscription on the main app page. We needed a timer for timing out users after N minutes and utilized an npm package that uses a promise in waiting for the timeout, but the Protractor tests no longer finish because it seems to wait for the timeout to happen and won't run anything else until then. Commenting out the timeout makes the tests work again, but management wants the timeout. Any way to make protractor with jasmine ignore this subscription?

what the fuck do you think a salary actually is if not for covering needs?
like hello???

>location matters
whoa... mindblowing...

What is REST API? Do you have some hints on inplementing it in Node.js?

It's an API that is sleeping

nevermind, figured it out.

img:not

Guys...

What do you do when you are making something and it has all been going well but you are completely stuck at solving something and you really don't know how to solve it?

Attached: steve-harvey-answer-board.gif (581x372, 2.42M)

solve it as best you can
and then if you can't do that you make something that does half the job and figure out how to hack in the other half some other way

and if you can't do that, start begging for help on stackoverflow or somehting

change of perspective

when would you say it is preferable to store json in databases?
let's say I was making a Jow Forums clone (for example)
if I wanted to store threads, would it be better to keep tables for each board setup as (op_post_id, entire_thread_json) or just store all the posts on a board (post_id, post_text, post_data, is_op, etc...) and just export to json when someone makes the request

assuming there would be times where having the data not in json in the db would be useful, like if I was running statistical analysis software

>let's say I was making a Jow Forums clone (for example)
stopped reading there.

use an existing image board software.

i am not actually making a Jow Forums clone, retard

For now it's a meme (though it looks nice I guess). Same thing with ReasonML if there are no jobs for that technology I pass.

What's a good React project to build that will impress potential employers?

Attached: ohohherehecomes.jpg (400x589, 127K)

Is it bad news to include code that constantly checks against an array inside a requestAnimationFrame game loop in JS?

>Wanted to make front-end scripting more manageable and organized
>Search for a framework

Good lord there's too much to process

ForEach is O(n). It depends on what you're solving but with a 'for loop' you can break out of your code or even return from the function. 'ForEach' you have to iterate the entire array no matter what.

>writing an incremental game with upgrades in JS
I want to die, I feel like a dog chasing its own tail and running around in circles trying to achieve a reasonable runtime complexity

Kill me now /wdg/

Attached: owmyhead.png (1336x105, 20K)

The one that you actually want to make. Also, it should ideally be complex enough to warrant making with React in the first place.

toughen up motherfucker

i'm using freecodecamp, MDN docs, and the traversy media channel on youtube to learn html+css+javascript.

anyone see anything wrong with this? anything u guys think i should add to the curriculum or nah