How advanced can PC case get?

There's no innovation in this area for the last 50 years.

Attached: 1510394204911.jpg (640x853, 51K)

psu shrouds are pretty neat

i'd like to interject for a minute

Attached: 11-352-078-V27.jpg (640x480, 23K)

a box is the most simple, efficient, cost effective good-looking design.

>no innovation
perhaps there's not been any groundbreaking changes but there sure have been quite a few. picture related is my Chieftek tower case. It's a solid steel box and it was something I considered rather good at the time.

Consider it's flaws compared to a more modern case: it's got 2x80mm fans in the back and 2x80mm in the front. That's really noisy while not pushing much air compared to modern cases with 140/120mm fans, usually two in the front and also a bottom intake. There's also zero room for cable management behind the motherboard on this case, not much you can do. It's got 6x3.5" HDD slots with zero sound dampening, that also wasn't a thing (so actually having 6 HDDs in it makes a LOT of noise).

I'd say things have improved in many ways..

Attached: my-90s-pc-case.jpg (2000x3073, 2.34M)

what is the point?

inside view so you get some context

that Define R6 hot-box was a mistake and a step back. but good luck with that. it's probably fine if you don't play games or do anything else that uses both the CPU and the GPU for long periods of time, though. the non-glass version doesn't have a side intake (unlike the R5) and that HDD shroud is there on both the glass and non-glass version - making a bottom intake far less effective. The R5 and quite a few other cases are superior choices.

Attached: my-90s-pc-case-inside.jpg (2000x1500, 1.14M)

to hide all the ugly psu cables.

you can opt for the open layout regarding bottom fan "issue"

no, you can't - unless you're a disklet.

>for gaming
>needing more that 2 SSDs and 2 HHDs

Attached: Oh+dear+god+i+hate+trying+to+explain+things+to+_ae454e1ef796a1f9fb93051d9ceccfe9.jpg (800x800, 62K)

>Define R6 hot-box was a mistake and a step back
Why does Jow Forums hate technology?

This.

I just built a new computer again for the first time in about 10 years. Using a cheap Thermaltake case now, and having used some cheap case back then, here's my observations on whats changed:

>Shrouded PSU and space behind the mobo to route cables and stuff them out of the way
>Cable cutouts, so my wires pop out right where I need them from behind - no more messes of cables ziptied together and stuffed into an empty HDD bay
>Speaking of which, no more HDD or 5.25 cage. HDDs smartly mount on rubber isolation mounts under my PSU shroud, out of sight and very clean looking. Lots more room to work in, and who uses 5.25 anymore anyway?
>No more shit Molex fans... no more Molex at all, actually. Fuck Molex.
>Spots for 140mm PWM fans in front, 2x 120mm PWM fans in back. Seems like the perfect balance of airflow... old one had one 80mm rear, one 100mm side, one 80mm front.
>Magnetic dust filters! Why the fuck did nobody think of this for so long?
>Inside of the case is painted, no sharp edges... first computer I've built without a blood sacrifice cutting myself on an edge trying to get a Molex to unplug.
>PCI covers are separate pieces screwed on, don't have to twist partially stamped covers back and forth until they snap off.

This image made me nostalgic.

>nostalgic
Your post made me dig up the glorious Athlon XP 3000. And that wasn't even the first system in ze glorious PC case.

Just look at it. It's got ze door with some kind of art some girl made ages ago. It's got .. ventilation holes in the bottom which doesn't really feed the 80mm fan supposed to be in front of it. Don't handle this case carefully and it'll cut you.

Attached: ancient-pc-case_20180813_053933.jpg (1671x2184, 1.06M)

the inside of this case made me remember a feature that was lost over the years: The glorious PC speaker. Some modern cases come with this tiny little wire with a round little thing connected to it that you put on the motherboard. That big speaker connected to the case itself is .. gone with the wind.

Attached: ancient-pc-case_20180813_054721.jpg (2982x3519, 3.88M)

This is the back of the case where it's biggest flaw and difference to modern cases becomes apparent: Notice the "mesh" (if you can call it that) of holes behind the 80mm exhaust fan. Very little air goes through that even if the fan's spinning at 2000 RPM. This is from an era where it was common to assume the power-supply fan would drag air in from the case and push it out the back and no additional fans were really needed..

Attached: ancient-pc-case_20180813_055212.jpg (1374x3300, 1.75M)

>PC Speaker
Haaaa.
I remember I had a Pentium 3 system that would actually use the case speaker if you didn't have anything plugged into the speaker or headphone out.
My recent build came with one of those tiny speakers. It took me a good minute to figure out what the hell it was.
Also, fuck HDD cages.
>put CPU in, mount heatsink
>go to put HDD in
>won't fit past the heatsink into the cage
>have to take the heatsink back off to put the HDD in

At some point I went "fuck it" and just used heavy duty velcro to stick my HDDs to the bottom of the case, and started getting rid of the HDD cage completely.

>2015 was 3 years ago
Damn

I guess less dust on the PSU

what kind of innovations are you seeking?

it's just a box to contain the AC/DC converter and the computer parts, nothing more. frankly I think LEDs and transparent cases are superficially pushing it as far as you can go. you can't improve much in terms of function.

Attached: vtg-ibm-computer-pc-xt-5160-enhanced_1_14665ed744a9bb2494d18efeea18453e.jpg (1440x1080, 241K)

>you can't improve much in terms of function
you can on most cases made the last feww years for precisely the reasons you mention. glass front and glass side-panel means NO AIRFLOW.

The Cooler Master HAF 912 tops just about every single modern case in that regard. I really miss mine. Gave a nephew my old system + a more modern GPU last upgrade. It's in good use but I kind of miss it. Not much in terms of noise but it's totally got the airflow - unlike most modern cases.

Attached: Cooler-Master-HAF-912-10-l.jpg (1280x1024, 195K)

im using my standard ATX case to do a new kind of GPU mounting and use my 4x 5inch Cdrom drive bays to hold a 6x 2.5inch hot swap bay (to use them like usb) and 3 3inch hot wap bays for a total of like 40tb storage.

going to need a nvme to 4x sata converter to get the 10 sata for my hotswap bays thou.

also going to build/buy a GPU mount so I can put my SLI card in a diferent location so I can put CPU coolers on CPU/GPU1/GPU2 and use full space of case.

should cost less than watercooling and do same performance with less weight if use right coolers.

case is a Lianli PC-7 very standard ATX case and ive removed the HDD and floppy drives and floppy drive panels for more air flow.

Attached: 3cpuHSF.png (498x425, 20K)

Attached: 11-112-024-26.jpg (640x480, 17K)

removing HDD n floppy bays for space for GPU2 and cpu cooler 3.

probably going to use a 2stack Nocturnia on CPU and a slightly lower profile on GPU1 and a hyper 212 on gpu2.

Attached: pic_disp.jpg (640x480, 54K)

using 2 980tis or Titan X maxwells if your wondering and will bios mod them for voltage control so they will actually be able to overclock to like halfway between a 1080 and 1080ti. putting cpu coolers on 10series gpus is probably a waste thou but I plan on using the 980s for ages because they last/most powerful cards to support analogue output.

all in all its going to be like a 5.5ghz 7600k/8350k 4core 4t with like 10% less performance than Sli 1080ti but with CRT support and no thermal throttle 40tb of HDD space. I figure a system like that should last me till 2030.

kek imagine trying to hang a CRT from the ceiling with some string

used a core2duo oc to 4.5ghz from 2008-2017 so that's like 9years and I play at low res and every thing ran fine at 75+ fps with just 45+fps in bf4. my HD 6970 from 2010 still runs BF1 at 60fps with modern cpu and not sure about pubg but imagine its like 50ish fps now with improvments. hoping the sorta sli level performance of 1080ti sli lasts like 11 years (even if SLI gets droped Mantel and Volken is introducing multi GPU support that doesn't require a bridge or even same brand of card!) im only playing at 1024x768 120hz and game requirments might force 16:9 so I might be forced to run at a 1k 85hz resolution so only needing to get 70-80fps on low with fps config file in the late 2020s should be good enough for me. got 3 CRT monitors ready 2 in storage all Philips 109b6 manufactured in 2005 so not super old and might last to 25 years old if I only use 1 at a time. hope I can make it.

of corse LCD could improve in next decade or some indy retro gamers could make a 120hz 1k 0.2ms adaptor on kickstarter or some thing but im not counting on it and not sure the factories making thous processing chips even still exist but if they do and that happens i could upgrade but this is my backup plan if it doesnt.

Being able to record pinecones would be useful in a computer case, yes

200mm fan, case as heatsink

>There's no innovation in this area for the last 50 years.
Yes there is, cases have changed almost every 2-3 years.

You can literally look at a case internals alone (empty case) and determine within ~3 years when a PC was built due to how different it will be.

useless 'technology' that isn't better than what it replaces is stupid.

>Cloud Computing

Conroe? 4.5ghz? Literally impossible...